Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Jago posted:

Report me, audiophile.

For what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
I want to see your couch please boner fuel.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

I want to see your couch please boner fuel.

Only ladies see my couch. The couch is outside the scope of IYG

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I don't really think those speakers are ugly, though I would have gone without a glossy finish and can't dream of a scenario where two gently caress-off subs are needed over one gently caress-off sub. They still look better than whatever the painfully 90's speakers were there before.

But then again my speakers are Cerwin Vega and my movie area consists of a cold, unfinished basement with cement floor, a cheap area rug, and a disappointing 6' ceiling height to exposed floor beams. So I'm sure my squalor-level duplex would also be laughed out of the thread.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

metallicaeg posted:

I don't really think those speakers are ugly, though I would have gone without a glossy finish and can't dream of a scenario where two gently caress-off subs are needed over one gently caress-off sub. They still look better than whatever the painfully 90's speakers were there before.

But then again my speakers are Cerwin Vega and my movie area consists of a cold, unfinished basement with cement floor, a cheap area rug, and a disappointing 6' ceiling height to exposed floor beams. So I'm sure my squalor-level duplex would also be laughed out of the thread.

I respect the squalor more than the boring suburbia

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Speleothing posted:

I respect the squalor more than the boring suburbia

I'm sorry that my basement ceiling is higher and finished?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

veiled boner fuel posted:

Only ladies see my couch.

What about your sunken bath-tub you had to cut a few floor beams to install?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jerry Cotton posted:

If your vacuum cleaner is powerful enough to suck all that wall-to-wall carpet completely off then it will help.

Is it that the carpet is an ugly color (it is) or do you have some broader issue with carpet as a concept?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Is it that the carpet is an ugly color (it is) or do you have some broader issue with carpet as a concept?

Both.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

What about your sunken bath-tub you had to cut a few floor beams to install?

Why must you tease me so. For a second everything was making sense and then I remember Bathroom Goon was someone else.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Didn't the joist-cutting "females like a fancy bathroom where they can do their makeup" dude get permabanned? Or did he just stop posting?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

Didn't the joist-cutting "females like a fancy bathroom where they can do their makeup" dude get permabanned? Or did he just stop posting?

Maybe he re-regged and went into hi-fi instead. Ladies love a sofa with a view to some lovely speakers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

im permabanned poster joiststomper58. i first started renovating my bathroom last week. by yesterday i got really obsessed with the concept of "sunken bath tubs"

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Why don't those subwoofers have any power crystals on them? Are you an amateur?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
boner fuel, post your cables

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

taqueso posted:

Why don't those subwoofers have any power crystals on them? Are you an amateur?

Maybe he's reached a master level where he can alter the sound directly by JOing, without using the crystals as an intermediary?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That sound setup is pretty dope, if not a little overkill. I'd move the screen to the front of the alcove though. You could probably also have gone with a floor to ceiling AT screen and put the speakers behind it if you wanted to hide them, but who cares? It's a basement home theater.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

No. It was not-banned bEatmstrJ and the thread was goldmined. You can tell from the start it's going to be something special.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813464

He goes off the rails pretty quickly. Yes those are engineered beams he completely removed the tops from, thus destroying their load bearing capacity.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=470711409#post470711409

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 17, 2017

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
you fuckin plebs and your builder-grade bathrooms

e: seriously like every 3-5 pages of that entire thread there's a whole new development that keeps it such a great read the whole way through

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

KillHour posted:

That sound setup is pretty dope, if not a little overkill. I'd move the screen to the front of the alcove though. You could probably also have gone with a floor to ceiling AT screen and put the speakers behind it if you wanted to hide them, but who cares? It's a basement home theater.

I’ve thought about moving it to the front of the alcove. I already had the screen, if I was getting a new one I might have gone acoustically transparent.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

taqueso posted:

boner fuel, post your cables

I think I got them bulk from Home Depot. Sorry, I don’t have any snake oil.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

metallicaeg posted:

I don't really think those speakers are ugly, though I would have gone without a glossy finish and can't dream of a scenario where two gently caress-off subs are needed over one gently caress-off sub.

Two subs properly placed will always be better than one bigger one if you don't always sit in the exact same spot. It improves room response.

Idiots ITT ridiculing non-audiophiles.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

KillHour posted:

Two subs properly placed will always be better than one bigger one if you don't always sit in the exact same spot. It improves room response.

And 4 is even better, but more than that is a waste.

That white paper is a fun read.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Bowers and Wilkins is expensive but actually fine

This is not audiophile trash but that carpet is

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

TheMadMilkman posted:

And 4 is even better, but more than that is a waste.

That white paper is a fun read.

no replacement for displacement

e: https://gizmodo.com/5025867/horn-subwoofer-takes-up-crazy-mans-entire-basement

old as the internet but i still love the crazy gently caress that built folded horn subs into his house. as in, they are part of the essential structure of the basement

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 17, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sub bassment (because that’s the only true way to spell it) dude killed him self a few years ago.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

KillHour posted:

"Properly placed" being 100% key here. Nobody bothers with that, because properly placed almost never ends up being conveniently placed. This goes for one sub and more than doubly for two.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sub bassment (because that’s the only true way to spell it) dude killed him self a few years ago.

I told him to be careful with the volume :(

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I'm not saying you need to spring for hardwood or leave things bare, but you could go for a carpet color that isn't bland and actually paint the walls {white, or} a dark enough color for a theater.

And disguise those speakers and woofers because :drat:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

This subs obsession with floor coverings is bizarre. I didn’t pick the carpet color and I’m not spending thousands of dollars replacing it in a room that’s supposed to be dark when it’s in use.

Speleothing posted:

And disguise those speakers and woofers because :drat:

What?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Everything you bought is good poo poo but this is the "make fun of people" thread not the "show off your home theater" thread (yes, there is one of those). Low hanging fruit, I guess.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
HDCD was always of dubious usefulness but now (years after the ship has sailed, if it was ever docked in the first place) that we can scan the files you can clearly see that some albums were literally just lighting the little LED and literally nothing else:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I think some of that may be because of a semi-popular mastering application that added HDCD tags by default, unless you manually switched it off.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
True, I'm sure that a few houses just had HDCD hardware sitting at the ready. It's still sort of amusing that all it's doing is costing you your LSB. :v:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Somebody needs to come up with an audiophile version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPIJVdQkb1Q

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I watched that last night and my only conclusion is that Shark Tank man is a loving moron.

E: oh and apparently the record it damaged is one of only 4 in existence according to someone in the comments, as it’s hand cut. Odd thing for him to use as a test when something is likely to gently caress it up.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Somebody needs to come up with an audiophile version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPIJVdQkb1Q

they already did, it's called a "turntable"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

More impressively he won for cramming Bluetooth into a Soundwagon.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
The soldering on that piece of poo poo look worse than what I do, huge bubbles, the wire came off the motor, lots of patch cables. What trash. It looks like there was a through hole for the other ground wire, but it just wasn't used. Is a 3 wire stylus likely to cause some of the performance issues? It seems pretty clear that the thing is way too heavy on the groove, wow what a piece of junk. I don't think you could trick an audiophile into buying one of these.

My wife insists on having a turntable and buying vintage records that she barely plays. No big deal. The turntable we have is definetely crummy. I just took a scan through amazon, and I have no idea what is good. Any recommendations on a compact size player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

EL BROMANCE posted:

I watched that last night and my only conclusion is that Shark Tank man is a loving moron.

E: oh and apparently the record it damaged is one of only 4 in existence according to someone in the comments, as it’s hand cut. Odd thing for him to use as a test when something is likely to gently caress it up.

At least six people say they own it on discogs, https://www.discogs.com/Anders-Enger-Jensen-Retro-Grooves-Vol-1/master/1217129