Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I just started chapter 4, and while Mythra's voice is not what I expected, it's perfect. Malos's apparent voice direction of "Yeah you're just supposed to be pissed off literally 100% of the time" remains great.

Rex and Pyra are also still the best couple, and I'm glad their friends support them.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
https://twitter.com/digitaldiatribe/status/942303788047613953

Switch OS says over 70 hours truthfully.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 17, 2017

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I really, really really, REALLY hate the motorcycle enemies in chapter 9.

No matter how painstakingly careful you were clearing the area before attacking a big prize... they will find you. They will come rushing in 5 minutes into your big battle and constantly stunlock you, knock you over, shackle your blade, and wreck your health with endless laser fire. And if you defeat them, more will just come, because they spawn endlessly??

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
they're by far the worst enemies in the game. who thought it was a good idea to give them knockback, blowdown and topple?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Pollyanna posted:

Hahahahah, it turns out you can just speak to one Nopon over and over and grind out the Nopon Wisdom conditions on anybody.

Are you absolutely certain? I tried talking to that one outside Bana's room in Argentum and it wasn't going up :/

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

Are you absolutely certain? I tried talking to that one outside Bana's room in Argentum and it wasn't going up :/

It works but you need to zone out when talking to the same person twice.

So talk to every nopon in argentum, fast travel to argentum, do it again

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Andrast posted:

It works but you need to zone out when talking to the same person twice.

So talk to every nopon in argentum, fast travel to argentum, do it again

Thanks!
It doesn't seem like it works with merchants at all.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

So I found a way to farm gold chips in early chapter six and I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up steamrolling through the next few chapters as a result. Oops.

the level 60 flying things in south temperantia drop them, and they boost rare drop rates so once you get a couple you're basically guaranteed another if you kill it with a chain attack. Also they're aquatic non-special enemies so you can give dromarch a pentagon chip, which drops normally from enemies in the area, and Nia will have a 1% proc on her rings to instakill them

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 17, 2017

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
looks like I hit a hard limit:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hahaha christ, I'm doing Boreas's second quest. I didn't think he had enough Fleet of Foot to do the Hardhaigh Palace challenge, so I decided not to let him get it - and it turns out you get it anyway. I'm so sorry, Morag...

nerdz posted:

looks like I hit a hard limit:

What the gently caress did you do?

Taear posted:

I ground it up by talking to Gegebi and Limuli (3rd/4th floor outside in Goldmouht) after one another over and over, so maybe you can't talk to the same person in a row, and have to switch off?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 17, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pollyanna posted:

Hahaha christ, I'm doing Boreas's second quest. I didn't think he had enough Fleet of Foot to do the Hardhaigh Palace challenge, so I decided not to let him get it - and it turns out you get it anyway. I'm so sorry, Morag...

Not exactly the highlight of her distinguished career, I'd wager. How great is the Legendary Thief Yumyum though, with his mask and all? :allears:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

What the gently caress did you do?

I'll try to be as through as possible:

Here's my elements

Rex: water-light-wind
Tora: ice-fire-earth
5th:fire-dark-thunder

And these are the blade combo orders:

Fire - Water - Ice : Since my fire blade has orb master, it always sets up an orb on all 3, so that's 3 orbs down.

Since tora has the Ice blade out, The second one is:

Ice - Water - Wind: Wind orb set, 4 total

Water-Water-Dark: Dark orb set, 5 total

Dark-Light-Thunder: Thunder orb set, 6 total

Now things start to get iffy, since I rely a lot on the partners to switch to the blades that I need and tora NEVER switches out of the ice blade.

For light I do either light-light-light or fire-fire-light: 7 orbs

For the last one I just activate the super and do the last earth orb by myself if tora didn't do it (the fucker)

So I do either dark-dark-earth or earth-fire-earth, and chain attack with all 8 elements.

Now, with all orbs set AND the super it's basically impossible to not fill the burst bar, which requires bursting 4 orbs. Once you burst 4, the other 4 will automatically burst and give GEOMETRICAL damage bonuses for each one, hitting a total of 7000% extra damage.

Once I get the full burst, tora goes apeshit and does a level 4 with all the extra damage, hitting for several multi million hits.

Another thing I discovered is that apparently 9999999 is the upper enemy HP limit. So yeah, if you get a chain attack with 4 orbs, nothing in the game can survive.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I ground it up by talking to Gegebi and Limuli (3rd/4th floor outside in Goldmouht) after one another over and over, so maybe you can't talk to the same person in a row, and have to switch off?

Now that's a good plan, I'll have a try!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

CORN NOG posted:

Who should get the inherited core crystal?

I gave her to the final party member, but she ended up on merc missions most of the time because of how easy it is to get her up to 35+ Strength/Growth.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I got Morag to over 300 agility immediately after getting her with a very conveniently timed core chip and assassin's boots, and now literally nothing can touch her. It's very satisfying. Oh, and I pulled an agi tank rare with her too (fiery samurai guy). I can't believe how well that went. She's now going to be the unquestionable MVP for probably the next two chapters.

nerdz posted:

So yeah, if you get a chain attack with 4 orbs, nothing in the game can survive.

I just got one with 4 orbs and only filled full burst to four fifths with it, so there has to be some variability going on with it. Not that the enemy didn't die anyway.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Is there a difference between agility tank blades and face tank blades? I'm talking specifically the blades, and not the obvious stats of agility and defense on the drivers

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mabels big day posted:

Is there a difference between agility tank blades and face tank blades? I'm talking specifically the blades, and not the obvious stats of agility and defense on the drivers

Agility tanks rely on evading hits, face tanks just eat the damage outright.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Agility tanks rely on evading hits, face tanks just eat the damage outright.

I get that, I mean does it matter which blade I use on them. Like is a shield hammer only good on a face tank?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Amppelix posted:

I got Morag to over 300 agility immediately after getting her with a very conveniently timed core chip and assassin's boots, and now literally nothing can touch her. It's very satisfying. Oh, and I pulled an agi tank rare with her too (fiery samurai guy). I can't believe how well that went. She's now going to be the unquestionable MVP for probably the next two chapters.

I just got one with 4 orbs and only filled full burst to four fifths with it, so there has to be some variability going on with it. Not that the enemy didn't die anyway.

my bad, I meant 8, or all possible orbs.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The pterodactyl right outside the abandoned factory with the 7000 mile aggro radius is the first thing that's made me grumpy in this game. I eventually ran past him on the third try, but the whole time I was wondering "who did this and how do I tell them they messed up"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zelder posted:

The pterodactyl right outside the abandoned factory with the 7000 mile aggro radius is the first thing that's made me grumpy in this game. I eventually ran past him on the third try, but the whole time I was wondering "who did this and how do I tell them they messed up"

Pretty sure those are only there during certain types of weather, aren't they?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

mabels big day posted:

I get that, I mean does it matter which blade I use on them. Like is a shield hammer only good on a face tank?

The only things separating characters in this game are default blades (which can't be ever disengaged obviously), affinity boards, movesets, and stats. Morag has higher agi than Tora by default so she's better suited for the agi tank blades (you can tell which one a blade is by what their mod stat is) and her default blade raises agility further so it's better to stack on the bonus.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What the gently caress is this? How am I supposed to get across?

Amppelix posted:

The only things separating characters in this game are default blades (which can't be ever disengaged obviously), affinity boards, movesets, and stats. Morag has higher agi than Tora by default so she's better suited for the agi tank blades (you can tell which one a blade is by what their mod stat is) and her default blade raises agility further so it's better to stack on the bonus.

That reminds me to ask - does each character have different Arts for each weapon? I kinda assumed they were all the same.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Pollyanna posted:

What the gently caress is this? How am I supposed to get across?

Walk over the ice nearby so it collapses, then check the big vertical pillar and knock it over.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TurnipFritter posted:

Walk over the ice nearby so it collapses, then check the big vertical pillar and knock it over.

Is that what that is? Christ. Coulda been telegraphed better, game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pollyanna posted:

You mean the big "THIS IS CLEARLY A BRIDGE TO BE MADE" ice pillar egregiously sitting on the cliff edge nearby?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You mean the big "THIS IS CLEARLY A BRIDGE TO BE MADE" ice pillar egregiously sitting on the cliff edge nearby?

To be fair, that is the first instance of that kinda thing ever happening

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

That reminds me to ask - does each character have different Arts for each weapon? I kinda assumed they were all the same.

Yes. Non-healers tend to not have straight healing arts, for example. And who has launch/topple/smash etc on which weapon differs wildly

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I got stuck there, too. The game has zero previous examples of interactive environments so you’ve been trained to think that all crossable gaps will have a “leap” field skill prompt or something.

There is a field skill prompt, but it’s on the other side of the bridge. I saw that and assumed that meant this was a one way bridge from the other direction, so I left the area completely and spent like 40 minutes searching for another way down.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I just went through 35 fully-boosted legendary cores on number 5 and got poo poo

Then pulled two on Nia and got KOS-MOS and Zenobia back to back. Now only Floren is left, but I have to transfer at least Zenobia to number 5…

Zoran fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 17, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Can I just say that whoever suggested move-canceling autoattacks to attack faster is a goddamn genius? Rex is an absolute beast now.

Zoran posted:

I just went through 35 fully-boosted legendary cores on Zeke and got poo poo

Then pulled two on Nia and got KOS-MOS and Zenobia back to back. Now only Floren is left, but I have to transfer at least Zenobia to Zeke…

Can't wait until I get to do this. Groan.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I still have no idea what stats or abilities after finishing chapter 5. I just pick whoever's the coolest looking (and who has Launch->Smash).

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Optimizing setups is half the game for me in any RPG so I found those out asap

Although I still don't exactly know what HP barriers are or how they work. Combat is too fast for me to notice when effects go off most of the time. Is it just a mechanic that's tied to the aux cores that trigger HP barriers at max affinity? Is that what all those hp barrier bonus pouch items affect? And when you get over how does it work? Does it negate hits entirely, or only transfer the damage numbers over? So many questions.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
In game time is almost 90 hours due to the timer bug. System says over 50 though so still less time in XC2 than BOTW, but I'm still in chapter 8 so I've got awhile until I'm done.

At level 54-55 where's a good place to level? I can kill those big level 60-61 flying fish things in the temperatia plains but they can take a little while and if anything else joins in I'm dead if the party attack isn't ready. Though the last time, an enemy joined in right before I used a chain attack and I didn't notice until I saw Rex and Mythria hit two targets with an AOE. That party chain did 1.6m million damage off of 2 elemental bursts because of it. :getin:

A solo target 2 burst chain combo to another enemy did just over 1 million. I can't stress just how obscenely powerful the Master Blade mode is. I'm pretty sure Rex does 200-250k damage with a level 1 special during a chain attack. And it's AOE? :wtc:

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This boss fight in Chapter 7 is really obnoxious. It'd be okay if half the fight didn't get dragged over to this stupid hole, so half my healing potions go down the hole, where an ambush of lovely enemies waits. So I am half-fighting the big tough boss and half fighting my A.I. and the weird healing/loot system and I'm doing neither very well.

That hole having normal enemies in it was so unbelievably dumb.

Pollyanna posted:

I spent an hour running around the area because I didn't notice the ice pillar at first as well. :(

I only thought to try it after falling through ice elsewhere, too.

Zoran posted:

I just went through 35 fully-boosted legendary cores on Zeke and got poo poo

Then pulled two on Nia and got KOS-MOS and Zenobia back to back. Now only Floren is left, but I have to transfer at least Zenobia to Zeke…

Grats on pulling what're probably the two best attacker rare blades in the game (Zenobia's definitely top tier).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Guess it's time to leave the thread since people are posting untagged spoilers about characters 4 and 5.
It's loving poo poo that I'm 35 hours in and still don't have them! Too much aimless wandering because the map is so bad.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Taear posted:

Guess it's time to leave the thread since people are posting untagged spoilers about characters 4 and 5.
It's loving poo poo that I'm 35 hours in and still don't have them! Too much aimless wandering because the map is so bad.
5 is literally in the promo art on the eshop

as for 4 it's blatantly obvious they will either join you or fight you five or more times times so that one I can at least sympathize with

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
Some Tiger! Tiger! questions (still on chapter 3).

1) Is the only machine to play this the one next to Tora's house?
2) Are newer stages that you unlock harder/provide more loot? In other words, should I always play the highest level stage I've unlocked?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Secx posted:

Some Tiger! Tiger! questions (still on chapter 3).

1) Is the only machine to play this the one next to Tora's house?
2) Are newer stages that you unlock harder/provide more loot? In other words, should I always play the highest level stage I've unlocked?
There's only the one machine, but I don't know how the loot stacks up if you do perfect runs of the various stages (I know 5 has exclusive stuff but I don't know about 1-4)

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Taear posted:

I love getting lost in this game 'cause I always find new poo poo. I was about that far in when I got to those party members as well, but I'd been doing sidequests and running around Uraya a bunch.

I have to say, this game's scope continues to impress me. It really manages to keep delivering on great surprises and things to see well longer than I expected it too. I'm in Chapter 8 now and I'm still loving it, though the gameplay challenges at this point are starting to become very grating.

Getting past those weird zombie things with just Rex and Our Special Guest Star was hell and a half, too many to fight and they kept knocking me on my rear end and stunlocking me to death. I ultimately just had to trigger a fight with the last one, die to him, have Snow White revive me and then let him eat all the aggro while I ran to the next landmark checkpoint.

loving finally got my party back and got killed by the boss anyway. I feel like every time I think I have a good Blade set-up, I don't.

All that being said:
The stupid gatcha loot system is really depressing me the later in the game I get. I haven't gotten a single new rare blade (that wasn't from a guranteed core) since Chapter 4. That's a lot of areas, a ton of rare and even legendary cores, and not a single loving one has resulted in a rare. This is truly irritating -- the game's biggest reward system just flat out doesn't work and part of me wants to put the game aside until the new patch drops to see if they maybe do something about this.

I can't say it is anything short of just a plain bad idea. They should have removed this much earlier in development once it was clear that they were randomizing the entire acquisition of unique Blades. I can guarantee that the Blade system was either a late addition or something that they struggled with, because acquiring new blades just plainly feels like a desperate decision that was not play tested enough.

What's sad is, I remember how thrilling it was to open a rare core back in Chapter 1, I felt a real sense that I had, like, a 1 in 3 shot of getting a rare blade and for a time that was true. But now, four straight chapters of no new rare blades at all, I feel disappointed, knowing that there are skills, abilities, combos and sidequests that are all great and interesting, locked away from me behind the RNG.

And unlike a lootbox, I can't even buy my way out of this. I have no option of accessing content the developers put into the game that I would enjoy solely based on loving luck. I hate it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

5 is literally in the promo art on the eshop

as for 4 it's blatantly obvious they will either join you or fight you five or more times times so that one I can at least sympathize with

The actual 4th person to join only fights you once :q: