Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Golli posted:

Amazon has an article linked on their AWS | Lumberyard page that includes quotes from Carl Jones talking about the switch.
https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/

Carl Jones Interview posted:

Since you adopted CryEngine 3 before the free-license change, did the move to Lumberyard and its royalty free model, mean it was a cost saving for Cloud Imperium?
Well you can’t get better value than free, of course! In the future, it means we will be able to do a lot more for Star Citizen and Squadron 42 without being concerned about the cost of licensing technology, which is no bad thing, but it doesn’t make a huge difference for us economically, in the short term.
Was the decision to move to Lumberyard at all based on the financial difficulties faced by Crytek?
We certainly wanted a technology partner that could support us and be with us for the long term, investing in tools and technology year after year, which Amazon of course can uniquely deliver. But mostly we liked Amazon’s strategy for gaming, specifically with Lumberyard, Twitch and AWS. We knew that over time Amazon would create the best game engine and support technologies to enable and power online games using AWS – it’s inevitable and will be a big help to us and our community, now and in the future. We’re always looking long term at CIG, and with Amazon as a partner, we’re able to feel confident about the future.

Haha wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peroxide Cowboy
Nov 30, 2013

This reminds me of the film Santa Claus: The Movie, where the realization slowly begins to set in Dudley Moore's Crobert's face as broken toy after broken toy comes crashing back down Santa's chimney.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Skadden is at a level of proficiency and competence that CIG didn't even know existed.

Fear not, because Ortwin is currently rehearsing his delivery of the phrase, "This is Chewbacca".

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

ComfyPants posted:

Crobby! We gotta go back! Back to before the "engine switch!" Something's gotta be done about your lawsuits!

This is supremely good and I wanted to let you know I appreciate your effort

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

G0RF posted:

Star Citizen is good and the thread is proof.

Checkmate goonies.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I played witcher 1 and it was like pulling teeth,i've been told mixed stories of how w2 is even worse :[ drat i want to play w3 cause i've heard good things about it.

I hated 1, skipped 2, but god dam it. Witcher 3 is the best rpg in the last 5-10 years

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Amazing

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Nicholas posted:

The idea of a Nazi Vampire is something you'd expect to find in a B-movie, but CIG literally hired one as their lawyer.

Actual quote from said nazi vampire, "I'm gunna suck"

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
LOL!! wait till he finds out that what they're showing next week is just another trailer

Unless SQ42 looks amazing, I'm fed up. Going to refund my $2530 package and move on from this mess.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/209095095?t=01h03m40s
Disco Lando: 'I knew I would be giving up Star Citizen when I came to work here. Like that was one of the things, that was one of the things I had to consider. When I was going to come work for CIG'
'Accepting this job basically meant that I don't "play" Star Citizen'

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

I just wanted to chime in with a quick effort post about something I keep hearing the dedicated citizens say. They keep claiming that the timing of this lawsuit is suspect and that Crytek is only doing this because they're out of money/failed/bad dudes.

I have a lot of experience creating and administering contracts both large and small. In a previous life I used to create large contracts as an architect for very complex renovation projects, and now I make small contracts as a service provider to architects and other designers, so I've been on both sides of these contracts. These are slightly different than a contract that a game studio and engine holder would enter into, but the tools and intents are the same.

The timing of the lawsuit is in no way suspect to me. Contracts are tools that provide two things(among others): a codified agreement between two parties, and a tool to navigate this agreement and make sure the other side is honest. It protects both parties, and gives both parties recourse in case the other party does something that isn't in the agreement or is against it. During the course of a complex project, you'll encounter many small instances where one side or the other will test the contract. These are like little micr-breaches of the agreement. It's usually just something small that happens during the course of a project that neither side anticipated, or one side didn't realize was actually a part of the contract at all. When these things happen, the side that believes it has been wrong just reaches out to the other side, and what usually happens is a dialogue where both sides make their point and agree to either amend the agreement to add in for this unforseen circumstance, or the side that didn't realize they were out of line must come back in line or offer some kind of recompense for their micro-breach. This is all usually done by the two parties and is almost always quite amicable.

A contract can be a kind of living document, so these changes are somewhat expected over the course of a long project, and sometimes these changes take time to make. The point of having a contract is to spell out exactly what you think should happen between two or more parties, so that no one needs to go to court. Sometimes, when one side does something that isn't allowed, it takes along time for the other side to notice, and the side that has been wronged doesn't immediately start making threats, they just open a dialogue instead. This negotiation can take quite a while and if the other party is loving up other parts of the contract while this negotiation is happening, it can complicate things quite badly and cause bad feelings on either side.

The main thing to realize is that all of this takes a lot of time. If you've ever been a freelance and had to chase someone down to get a cheque or to sign off on a final version of something, you know how this goes. You phone, they stop answering. You e-mail, they don't reply. I have a "payment due upon receipt" line in all of my contracts as well as on all of my invoices. I'd say I'm lucky in getting around 25% of those cheques within two weeks, even though we both agreed. You don't get lawyers involved immediately because going to court is expensive as gently caress for both parties, causes a lot of stress, and will almost always kill your business relationship with your client.

These breaches that Crytek is complaining about took place a long time ago, and they didn't want to go to a trial because they wanted to salvage what they could in their agreement. Going to court isn't something to take lightly, and is only done when all the bridges are pretty much burnt already. The reason this took so long is because it takes a long time to finally lose hope that the person or company you're dealing with is going to do the right thing as per the contract.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

reverend crabhands posted:

Just because I keep seeing this argument crop up, that SC and SQ42 is one game therefor CIG don't owe Crytek another license...

Here is Ben Lesnick to explain it : https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/42uni8/why_is_star_citizen_being_split_from_squadron_42/czd8f1o/?st=jbamkw75&sh=a02a99b1

:lol:

The RTV Ben Lesnick refuted the Reddit Ben Lesnick, even while contradicting his own refutation. (Reverse the Verse, February 5th, 2016)

(Original thread drop here.)

(Ben Lesnick initiates the reverse-the-verse inverse oxymoron maneuver, a highly technical logical paradox. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.)

SPACE COURT JUDGE:
(slamming space gavel that doubles as ignition for his ship):
“The Court finds the witness not credible by reason of inanity.”

G0RF fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 17, 2017

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Nyast posted:

They can't do that. The contract states they must provide a compilable version.

A compilable version.

You really think with the thousands of changes, bugs and issues they've introduced, they can provide a compilable version back to Crytek ? :)

CryTek is pushing Chris into something he doesn't think is necessary. His vision is too important to be disrespected like that.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Thoatse posted:

Free Tophat!

Ah, so that explains why I had to return to this thread and understand the terrible secrets of space court. Thank you!

:justpost:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Wise Learned Man posted:

CryTek is pushing Chris into something he doesn't think is necessary. His vision is too important to be disrespected like that.

Chris Roberts doesn't have to abide by the terms of a contract! He made Stryker's Run!

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

D_Smart posted:

I am also considering doing an audio book of all the blogs, and all the key articles I have written. Just need to figure out if I am going to narrate it, of have a voice actor do it; since I know several who have worked with me on games over the years.

I am available for voice acting, my rate is £10 a meltdown.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I love the "I'm not in a cult, YOU'RE in a cult!" response. It's the perfect amalgamation of self delusion, sunk cost fallacy, and deflection.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/942430897655242752

----------------

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Enchanted Hat posted:

There lived a certain man in England long ago
He was stout and bald and his nose was full of blow
Most people looked at him and thought he was a fool
But to space game nerds, he was clever, he was cool
He could code all night with golden fingers
Hallowed be his holy name
And the nerds they thought he'd be the bringer
Of a perfect game

Ro- Ro- Roberts, he
Scammer like you've never seen
There was a dev that really was gone
Ro- Ro- Roberts, he
Britain's greatest coke machine
He crobbled millions in a great con

He ruled the studios just like a Russian tsar
And he shot mocap, it was really wunderbar
Decisions lay with him, he couldn't trust his staff
And fidelity, it became his golden calf
For the nerds he was no wheeler dealer
Though he never made a game
He would be the genre's holy healer
Fill the goons with shame

Ro- Ro- Roberts, he
There was a dev that really was gone
Ro- Ro- Roberts, he
He crobbled millions in a great con

But when his lying and hustling and his hunger for money became known to more and more people
The demands to do something about this outrageous fraud became louder and louder.

This man's just got to go, declared the Crytek team
Now their lawsuit would put an end to Roberts' dream
The backers and the shills, their hearts filled up with fear
But the salty asshats let out a rousing cheer
Then one night a team of high-priced lawyers
Served him Crytek's legal claim
Skadden would now be the game's destroyers
(Goons were still to blame)

Ro- Ro- Roberts, he
They raised a suit, said "your rear end is mine!"
Ro- Ro- Roberts, he
He laughed it off and said "we'll be fine"

Ro- Ro- Roberts, he
They didn't quit, they wanted his head
Ro- Ro- Roberts, he
And so they sued CIG 'til it was dead

Oh, those lawyers...

:five:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Natron posted:

I just wanted to chime in with a quick effort post about something I keep hearing the dedicated citizens say. They keep claiming that the timing of this lawsuit is suspect and that Crytek is only doing this because they're out of money/failed/bad dudes.

I have a lot of experience creating and administering contracts both large and small. In a previous life I used to create large contracts as an architect for very complex renovation projects, and now I make small contracts as a service provider to architects and other designers, so I've been on both sides of these contracts. These are slightly different than a contract that a game studio and engine holder would enter into, but the tools and intents are the same.

The timing of the lawsuit is in no way suspect to me. Contracts are tools that provide two things(among others): a codified agreement between two parties, and a tool to navigate this agreement and make sure the other side is honest. It protects both parties, and gives both parties recourse in case the other party does something that isn't in the agreement or is against it. During the course of a complex project, you'll encounter many small instances where one side or the other will test the contract. These are like little micr-breaches of the agreement. It's usually just something small that happens during the course of a project that neither side anticipated, or one side didn't realize was actually a part of the contract at all. When these things happen, the side that believes it has been wrong just reaches out to the other side, and what usually happens is a dialogue where both sides make their point and agree to either amend the agreement to add in for this unforseen circumstance, or the side that didn't realize they were out of line must come back in line or offer some kind of recompense for their micro-breach. This is all usually done by the two parties and is almost always quite amicable.

A contract can be a kind of living document, so these changes are somewhat expected over the course of a long project, and sometimes these changes take time to make. The point of having a contract is to spell out exactly what you think should happen between two or more parties, so that no one needs to go to court. Sometimes, when one side does something that isn't allowed, it takes along time for the other side to notice, and the side that has been wronged doesn't immediately start making threats, they just open a dialogue instead. This negotiation can take quite a while and if the other party is loving up other parts of the contract while this negotiation is happening, it can complicate things quite badly and cause bad feelings on either side.

The main thing to realize is that all of this takes a lot of time. If you've ever been a freelance and had to chase someone down to get a cheque or to sign off on a final version of something, you know how this goes. You phone, they stop answering. You e-mail, they don't reply. I have a "payment due upon receipt" line in all of my contracts as well as on all of my invoices. I'd say I'm lucky in getting around 25% of those cheques within two weeks, even though we both agreed. You don't get lawyers involved immediately because going to court is expensive as gently caress for both parties, causes a lot of stress, and will almost always kill your business relationship with your client.

These breaches that Crytek is complaining about took place a long time ago, and they didn't want to go to a trial because they wanted to salvage what they could in their agreement. Going to court isn't something to take lightly, and is only done when all the bridges are pretty much burnt already. The reason this took so long is because it takes a long time to finally lose hope that the person or company you're dealing with is going to do the right thing as per the contract.

Yup. :colbert:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/942373527893798912.html

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

The RTV Ben Lesnick refuted the Reddit Ben Lesnick, even while contradicting his own refutation. (Reverse the Verse, February 5th, 2016)

(Ben Lesnick initiates the reverse-the-verse inverse oxymoron maneuver, a highly technical logical paradox. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.)

SPACE COURT JUDGE:

:vince:

----------------

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

D_Smart posted:

:bravo:
:five::five::five::five:

This was so good, I read this three times.

A narcissist who enjoys sycophants? Now I've seen everything lmao

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
So many good posts! I want to pay tribute to all of them but I'll just say :five: :five: :five:

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Ah yes. I had another thought while I was walking the dog and would like to add to both my point and yours. Then I'll go back to my normal lurking and occasional drive-by shitposting, I swear.

This lawsuit is a vote of non-confidence on the prospects of Star Citizen/Squadron 42 by one of the companies that knows the project best. Derek started hinting at this a long time ago, and whenever that started is whenever Crytek realized they weren't going to see their return on investment. They saw a sinking ship way back then, with a much better view than the rest of us have, and decided to pack up some lifeboats with whatever they could and get the gently caress outta there.

Make like Crytek and a get a refund, citizen.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Dusty Lens posted:

Imagining owning yourself so hard that now you're owned by someone else.

omg

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

the best part is they've probably shared a shitload of cryengine code with multiple 3rd party studios to help build those ships

can't wait until fuckin space court

One of the biggest transgressors there is probably going to be Illfonic. They literally made an entire FPS game out of it. Just because CIG were too stupid to merge it in in any way shoot form doesn’t mean that little boo boo didn’t happen.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Sarsapariller posted:

Witcher 3 is my personal Game Of The Past 5 Years Or So, and I think the writing is what puts it there. The open world is really well done and feels alive, the npc's are just mind bogglingly detailed, and the mechanics are snappy and responsive. But mechanically it doesn't do anything that you won't see in an Assassin's Creed or a Far Cry title. It's the writing that propels it over the top. And that is in spite of some obvious limitations in the game's conversation engine. While much more robust than, say, Mass Effect Andromeda's, after 100 hours you're still going to notice when a cutscene is using the default conversation animations. But the stories are so good you won't care. The bloody baron quest? The mission with Yenn that ends on top of a mountain, fighting a djinn on half a boat? The return to Crookback Bog? All of Hearts of Stone, all of Blood and Wine? If you've played through you know what I'm talking about.

The thing about Witcher 3 is that the level of its writing barely rises above the level of pulp fantasy novel, with a sprinkling of commentary on the human condition. That isn't a criticism! Video games by and large do not rise to that level. That's because they have to involve player agency, and it's really hard to tell a deep and engaging story when it has to branch out in a zillion directions based on choices. Usually you have to make a visually cheaper game to more rapidly produce content (Undertale), or you have to tell a rigid story and not let the player deviate (Spec Ops), or you have to tell a bland story where none of the choices really change anything and the characters don't matter because the player may never even encounter them (Every Bethesda title ever). Witcher 3 manages to walk the thinnest of lines, railroading the player through the arc of several interesting and engaging stories while still giving the impression that your choices really change where things are going. You can actually gently caress up in Witcher and not get the best outcomes for everyone. You can miss whole subplots and characters! That's a risk you have to run, for your choices to matter.

This is a good post and your call to a good game that I’ve played on one end of your storyline spectrum (Spec Ops) makes me want to try out the other. Also how can I scam Miku into buying me a hot new rig so I can play Witcher 3?

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Laopooh posted:

This is a good post and your call to a good game that I’ve played on one end of your storyline spectrum (Spec Ops) makes me want to try out the other. Also how can I scam Miku into buying me a hot new rig so I can play Witcher 3?

You can play it just fine on a low-end gaming rig. If only those cryptominers weren't driving up the GPU prices and the memory manufacturers weren't fixing prices (squeezing out the last $$$ before the chinese finish their factories and wreck their oligopoly), it'd actually be a cheap buy.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
While filings may be public odds are they're redacted or the entire filing won't be accessible just the first page or two

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

I love this "Phrase of the day" thing :reddit: constantly does in an attempt to justify everything.

Each one catches on soo fast among the more avid knights, so it doesn't take long before they're all wielding it like a hammer thinking it will fix everything.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Natron posted:

Ah yes. I had another thought while I was walking the dog and would like to add to both my point and yours. Then I'll go back to my normal lurking and occasional drive-by shitposting, I swear.

This lawsuit is a vote of non-confidence on the prospects of Star Citizen/Squadron 42 by one of the companies that knows the project best. Derek started hinting at this a long time ago, and whenever that started is whenever Crytek realized they weren't going to see their return on investment. They saw a sinking ship way back then, with a much better view than the rest of us have, and decided to pack up some lifeboats with whatever they could and get the gently caress outta there.

Make like Crytek and a get a refund, citizen.

This post and your previous effort post were a really really good read, thank you for them

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Phi230 posted:

While filings may be public odds are they're redacted or the entire filing won't be accessible just the first page or two

Well, fortunately we can watch the news unfold on Redacted and get the complete story. Games Journalism May have failed this project but Citizen Reporting has never pulled punches or been on the CIG dole!

”Dumbocracy dies in darkness.”

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I really hope my conversation with Sandi somehow becomes evidence in this case.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

For a group that's not a cult I sure do learn a lot of terms relating to cults and groupthink reading about them.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

G0RF posted:

SPACE COURT JUDGE:
I hope this poo poo makes it into court, I really do. Ben being one of the instruments of CIG's undoing would be so beautifully poetic.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure they'll allow Ben as an expert witness if that food analogy holds up

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yes, imagine the paralegal that stumbles across donutgate.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What were your e-mails with her about. That whole mess was from before I started following SC.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
Also Derek, you claim there is something more in the pipeline that is going to blow up more than the Crytek thing. Not trying to get a leak, but will it be a situation where we paid for the whole seat but we'll just use the edge?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Note to the Skadden paralegal researching this thread for actionable material: Find that email exchange!

Note to the Coutts paralegal researching this thread for actionable material: Get your money back!

Note to the CIG Intern reading this thread for objectionable material for senior management: Do you really think Chris and Sandi need more crap to worry about right now? The dissent you’ve been long tasked with monitoring and cataloging has gone viral. It didn’t all originate here, or with Derek, it emerges naturally for reasonable minds paying passing attention to the non-stop marathons of self-owns, unforced errors, overpromises and undeliveries and uninterrupted lying that “filters from the top” of CIG. The true enemy of this project was within all along. They sent you here. So it really might be time to polish up that CV, file your honest Glassdoor take, and bounce to a better job at a company not in terminal decay spiral induced by moral turpitude and gross incompetence. You deserve better!