Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

I'm really surprised Kudo never took off in the US. If the indies were stronger in 2007 he'd have gotten a ton of dates after his KOT appearances. Yago too.

Whatever happened to Yago? That man was an absolute beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Me and a friend decided we should try and get into more japanese wrestling than just New Japan, so we're checking out NOAH and All Japan.

We've watched first show from the NOAH Global League and while the undercard was nothing special, the first of the tournament matches (Kenoh vs Nakajima) was pretty crazy. From the way they were acting I'm assuming there was some prior history between them. All I really know about NOAH is that it is where Marufuji lives. Due to this event I also found out that it is where Cody Hall ended up after getting killed in New Japan.

Can someone give a quick summary of who to watch in NOAH and AJPW?

If it helps we're planning to watch the final show of the Global League and then watch Summer Action Series at Korakuen Hall from July 7th and Raising An Army Series at Korakuen Hall from October 9th from AJPW.
Just to sort of get a taste for what the promotions are about.

Also, is Marufuji's knee legit messed up or does he just pretend to have like titanium screws in there?

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Kim Justice posted:

Whatever happened to Yago? That man was an absolute beast.

Wasn't he not that young even back then (google says he's 50 now),plus it seemed like kicking the poo poo out of small indie guys was his ceiling.
He didn't seem too hot actual wrestling wise when the matches would get to that point. Full disclosure: I haven't re-watched those matches in years.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I think there should be a new thread, it's really old and the front page has a pic of Misawa taking a bump on his neck

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

I think there should be a new thread, it's really old and the front page has a pic of Misawa taking a bump on his neck

So you are mad the OP is informative? Get a clue!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

yeah it's cool that this thread is so ancient that the original op before it was edited talked about NOAH being the number one fed in the country. the old pages are really interesting reading.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I have been posting in this thread the whole time jesus

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

We need to keep this thread going so we don't let the reaction to Okada beating Tanahashi the first time fall into the archives.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Lloyd Boner posted:

Okada beat Tanahashi for the title. gently caress that.

RealFoxy posted:

Tanahashi is still the champion of my heart :allears:

Why Okada though? I mean seriously, why him? He was a super jobber in TNA. It's like they thought "This really worked for Akira Tozawa's popularity!" and in their minds, TNA had created someone as charasmatic and awesome as Tozawa. It just simply didn't happen though.

:psyduck:

I REALLY DON'T GET THIS AT ALL

HulkaMatt posted:

I think its a really weird move. The guy had less than 10 matches in his 2 year stint in TNA. :psyduck:

Adam and Mike brought up that it might happen but I didn't think they'd actually go through with it.

Ditch posted:

And Tozawa didn't even get the title after being well-received upon returning to Japan. Oh and NJ's champion is more important to the company than DG's.

:psyduck: indeed.

RealFoxy posted:

Hell, Tanahashi might be the most important man in the whole company, and he got beat by a jobber in TNA.

DirtyDirtySheets posted:

Okada winning was too silly not to happen.I haven't asked anyone in Japan if people actually give a poo poo about Okada but thankfully, they probably have no details on what he was actually doing in TNA.

And the capper:

Lloyd Boner posted:

Still not sold on Okada but the match was ace.

Also the page preceding this (101) is the reaction to Yuke's selling to Bushiroad, which has probably been one of the most beneficial things to the promotion in hindsight, and everyone's like "what the hell?"

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 29, 2017

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
Man, I just watched Akiyama-Kobashi from 7-4-2004. Holy poo poo was that brutal, and was Kobashi just coughing up blood the last half of that match?

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

Troxartas posted:

Man, I just watched Akiyama-Kobashi from 7-4-2004. Holy poo poo was that brutal, and was Kobashi just coughing up blood the last half of that match?

2000s NOAH is the best NOAH.

Here are some even better matches from that time period:
Kenta Kobashi vs Mitsuharu Misawa (March 1, 2003) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARcmU_oTO6k
Mitsuharu Misawa vs Toshiaki Kawada (July 18, 2005) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7J2VBx-Gy8
Kenta Kobashi vs Kensuke Sasaki 2005.7.18 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQFuxY4CjZc
Kota Ibushi & Naomichi Marufuji vs KENTA & Taiji Ishimori (2007.7.15) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw9TTtqldZs

In NOAH news:

Puroresu Spirit posted:

Three title matches have been announced to kick off the new year.

The first of which seeing the new GHC Heavyweight Champion Kenoh defend the belt against the returning Kaito Kiyomiya on January 6 at the Korakuen Hall. The 21 year old Kiyomiya aims to capitalize on his training overseas and become the youngest GHC Heavyweight Champion, in which the honor current stands with Marufuji at 26 years old. Kenoh though will not be so eager to relinquish his first reign as he has fought from the ground up to finally earn the right to be a champion at this time. Let alone begin his new self-proclaimed era.

Also on the show Taiji Ishimori will be defending the X-Division belt against Andrew Everett, who replaces the injured DJZ. Then former WWE and Impact wrestler Jay Bradley will be on tour with NOAH as he takes on Takashi Sugiura in his debut match for the promotion.

Then at the end of the January tour, January 27 in Osaka, it was announced that Daisuke Harada will be defending the GHC Junior Heavyweight belt against Hajime Ohara and then “RATEL’S” HAYATA & YO-HEY will defend the GHC Jr. Tag belts against a former champion team in “Roots” Taiji Ishimori & Hi69.

In New Japan news:

On January 3, NJPW will hold a Wrestle Kingdom 12 Fan Festa that has already sold out. At the event, there will be three tag matches, wrestler signings (Kota Ibushi, Katsuyori Shibata, Cody, and Hirooki Goto, among others), Wrestle Kingdom 12 Press Conferences, and apparently, a NJPW video game announcement. No additional details about the game were mentioned by NJPW as of yet.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

2000s NOAH was great because you had middle aged dudes at the height of their powers still abusing the poo poo out of each other. Plus some early US indie greats. And Ricky Marvin before he got fat.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What's Nakajima up to?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What's Nakajima up to?

Still in NOAH, I believe?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
https://twitter.com/FiteTV/status/949232125978578944

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jun, what happened to your wonderful hair?

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

coconono posted:

Jun, what happened to your wonderful hair?

The man is 48. Mutoh was in his late 30s when he started balding like hell

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
i mean he started balding not that long into NOAH too

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
This thread, like PRIDE, will never die*

*both actually died years ago :smith:

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Ditch posted:

This thread, like PRIDE, will never die*

*both actually died years ago :smith:

At least PRIDE is still worth something in Japan.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

i’ve only seen one match but Im convinced KENOH is the second coming of Misawa. Eddie Edwards did a bunch of moves so KENOH just hit him harder.

Ive seen dudes gig themselves with syringes and drink from their burst veins but that 12/22 match was a loving spectacle of violences.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

coconono posted:

i’ve only seen one match but Im convinced KENOH is the second coming of Misawa. Eddie Edwards did a bunch of moves so KENOH just hit him harder.

Ive seen dudes gig themselves with syringes and drink from their burst veins but that 12/22 match was a loving spectacle of violences.

watch his match from 1/6 with Kiyomiya. It was one of my favourite matches I saw WK week.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

coconono posted:

i saw him break davey richards nose a couple years ago ftw

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

Actually in this match Eddie was Misawa.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

coconono posted:

It was a fantastic match.

I recently started watching NOAH only really knowing that it is where Marufuji hangs out but I've quickly come to be a fan of KENOH and the team of HAYATA/YO-HEY.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
AJPW 2/3 big show card

() Zeus, The Bodyguard & Yutaka Yoshie vs. Osamu Nishimura, Ryoji Sai & Black Tiger VII
() Masanobu Fuchi & SUSHI vs. Ultimo Dragon & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi
() The Road to Jr. BATTLE OF GLORY Special 8 Man Tag Match: Koji Iwamoto, Kotaro Suzuki, Hikaru Sato & Yohei Nakajima vs. Atsushi Maruyama, Yusuke Okada, Shuji Kondo & Keiichi Sato

() Asia Tag Championship Match: [103rd Champions] Naoya Nomura & Yuma Aoyagi vs. [Challengers] Jun Akiyama & Yuji Nagata
~ 5th title defense.

() World Junior Heavyweight Championship Match: [46th Champion] TAJIRI vs. [Challenger] Atsushi Aoki
~ 4th title defense.

() World Tag Championship Match: [78th Champions] Suwama & Shuji Ishikawa vs. [Challengers] Kento Miyahara & Yoshitatsu
~ 1st title defense.

() Triple Crown Heavyweight Championship Match: [59th Champion] Joe Doering vs. [Challenger] KAI
~ 3rd title defense.

it'll be broadcast live on Samurai which means it'll be streamed live also

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
That's a sexy-lookin' card. Hope they don't keep swapping the belts around too much though.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
https://twitter.com/alljapan_pw/status/959722615840518144

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
oh yeah AJPW announced a streaming service so get ready for everyone to complain when it doesn't have old stuff on it

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Would it just be the material post-2000 split?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Coaaab posted:

Would it just be the material post-2000 split?

It would be material from the last few years after the original AJPW was folded and the new All Japan Pro Wrestling (in English) was formed with Akiyama at the helm.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

It would be material from the last few years after the original AJPW was folded and the new All Japan Pro Wrestling (in English) was formed with Akiyama at the helm.

The TV network that aired All Japan before the first split still has the rights to that footage right?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

MassRafTer posted:

I'm not gonna claim to understand the intricacies of how Japanese TV contracts work, but assuming at least one of Samurai TV or GAORA is involved (which I'd think they almost have to be), it seems possible that we could get pre-2013 stuff, since they own the footage and can presumably do what they want with it.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Real Hero Archive is apparently done if people on Twitter are to go by.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Roy Lucier posted the same thing so it's probably legit.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

unblock me roy

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I mean I guess If you want to visit shady russian blogs and video sites those matches will still apparently be there instead of a handy google drive

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mort posted a thing explaining but I'm too lazy to pull the link. The gist:

RealHero keeps getting hit with DMCA claims so they're killing the archive, grab what you can if it hasn't already burned down.

The psp-tv.com streams will continue for shows that cannot be purchased legitimately.

As it stands now, nearly every noteworthy japanese company has a VOD or streaming site up for access with varying degrees of english language support. Please support what you like.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Is the AJPW archive dying too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I haven't updated my sites in years but I plan on yanking anything that's available through VOD now that the companies are giving us a legal way to consume it.