Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Beerus sort of gets glossed over in the story post-BoG and it sometimes feels like they have to write around his presence in most arcs because he could just solve everything otherwise, but he absolutely deserves a high priority spot in the Dragonball Hall of Fame, he's more or less the reason the series is back. Unless there's story reasons to limit the character selections for future games, like if they were to revisit concepts like Attack of the Saiyans or Dragonball Origins, Beerus should be an auto-include on the base rosters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Plus he's a cool cat who doesn't afraid of anything

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cool Cat Saves Universe 6

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
It must be weird for Dyspo, being the only one of his kind at the tournament who isn't a God of Destruction.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

It must be weird for Dyspo, being the only one of his kind at the tournament who isn't a God of Destruction.

He's a rabbit not a cat.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He's a rabbit not a cat.

They're neither. They're aliens from beyond our world.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
All this talk about dub voices confuses me. I'm an old fart that watched all of Z with subs back in the mid 90s and then never got into the dubs after checking them out later when Toonami first started showing them when I was in college... The voices were okay, but all the edits to the scripts and such sucked rear end, so I just stopped paying attention.

That Goku line about the tractor was pretty great, though. Dammit, might have to rewatch stuff... At what point does the dub get better, and do they continue to censor the hell out of it throughout? That Bulma's boobies thing would suggest otherwise, so at what point in the story did they stop censoring?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
The Super dub is the good one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fuzz posted:

All this talk about dub voices confuses me. I'm an old fart that watched all of Z with subs back in the mid 90s and then never got into the dubs after checking them out later when Toonami first started showing them when I was in college... The voices were okay, but all the edits to the scripts and such sucked rear end, so I just stopped paying attention.

That Goku line about the tractor was pretty great, though. Dammit, might have to rewatch stuff... At what point does the dub get better, and do they continue to censor the hell out of it throughout? That Bulma's boobies thing would suggest otherwise, so at what point in the story did they stop censoring?
The censoring mostly stops after the ginyu force fight, since that's when they take over. There's still mentions of HOME FOR INFINITE LOSERS and stuff, but they stop talking about cargo robots and parachutes. There's still some minor visual edits, like when Dr. Gero murks Yamcha they just edit it to look like he's crushing his jaw instead of tearing a giant hole in his chest, but nothing that egregious.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Home for infinite losers is amazing, and one of the best changes anyone has ever done

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Fuzz posted:

The very very original Toonami runs of the Ocean and then Funimation dubs were edited all to hell script-wise to try and make it more appealing for western kids. Also the early Funi voices were rough because they hadn't gotten accustomed to the roles, so when Chris Sabat took over for Vegeta in 1999 he was trying VERY hard to make it a smooth transition and imitated Brian Drummond's take on the character before eventually settling into his own version partway through Cell.

They've gone back at least once and redubbed the original cut, there's unedited versions in terms of swearing and censoring names like Mr. Satan into Hercule, but I don't know if they ever went back and rehauled the script the same way they did for DBZ Kai, which is much closer to the Japanese version of things. Super is very much faithful but they have enough freedom to add in small jokes and references that don't change the story too much. Chris Sabat has said in interviews that he makes a point to make it super awkward any time Yamcha interacts with Vegeta or Bulma, for example.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Home for Infinite Losers is the dimension everyone keeps talking about sending everyone else to.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You should be watching Kai anyway.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

You should be reading the manga anyway.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just watch Kai, even if they sort of forgot the whole “lets edit the amount of pointless filler down” at buu saga.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Barudak posted:

Just watch Kai, even if they sort of forgot the whole “lets edit the amount of pointless filler down” at buu saga.

Doing the Buu saga in Kai was very much an afterthought for Toei.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Doing the Buu saga in Kai was very much an afterthought for Toei.

Oh yeah, absolutely, its just a bummer they got lazy since that one has so much fat to trim on it and its probably the least well remembered/watched arc in the west.

Super is great though

Edit: GT kai would be cutting everything except the set up to the dark dragonballs, showing vegeta and goku fuse, smash cut to credits.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Are any of the movies not terrible?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Battle of Gods is good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kai kinda sucks cause they cut good poo poo like goku learning to drive but kept useless fight scenes.

They should have prioritized cutting down the battles and saving the goofy slice of life stuff

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

Oh yeah, absolutely, its just a bummer they got lazy since that one has so much fat to trim on it and its probably the least well remembered/watched arc in the west.

I'm sure this is just me but honestly there's a ton of small character moments in the Buu saga that endear it to me way harder than 90% of the Android saga. Cell was the most serious DBZ ever got without any levity or comic relief, and there's very few fun goof-off moments, whereas Buu is crammed full of them, even if some (gotenks) aren't universally loved.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Are any of the movies not terrible?

Dead Zone, Fusion Reborn, Battle of Gods, and Resurrection F are great
I enjoy Bojack Unbound a fair bit despite some issues. I don't personally care for World's Strongest or Wrath of the Dragon but those two have a lot of fans.
The big ending fight of Broly 1 is great but everything leading up to it is a painful slog.
The rest are varying levels of trash.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 17, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cell in the tv station is a good moment

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The best Cell is still the DBZA Cell.

Now if only they'd finish it...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They've been working on it. It seems like there was some behind the scenes circumstances that kept work up.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fuzz posted:

The best Cell is still the DBZA Cell.

Now if only they'd finish it...

They're supposedly working on it and are going to release it all at once next year. It's also gonna be over an hour long.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Doggles posted:

The end of the DBFZ tournament livestream at Jump Fiesta showed an exhibition match featuring Hit, Beerus, Black, and Gotenks. Plus a "dramatic" start and end of the match!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSGPLSJxz6g&t=3409s

the insane attention to detail and loving references to literally everything from storylines to frames of animation is beyond anything I've seen in any fighting game. Everything about this so far is exceeding all my expectations. I wonder how many dramatic starts/ends there are that don't involve Goku, though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DLC Inc posted:

the insane attention to detail and loving references to literally everything from storylines to frames of animation is beyond anything I've seen in any fighting game. Everything about this so far is exceeding all my expectations. I wonder how many dramatic starts/ends there are that don't involve Goku, though.

I think the trailer from yesterday showed Trunks/Freeza and Gohan/Cell, and the scan that first revealed it had Nappa/Yamcha.

Honestly though Goku is probably in a lot of them because he's, you know, the main character of the show.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
There's a forgettable arc in Dragon Ball Super where Vegeta goes to a planet and a goo monster copies him and Vegeta starts to fade away, the GooVegeta rapidly taking his abilities and stuff. It's forgettable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSMbktR9LxY
For the dub they got Brian Drummond to place GooVegeta. Brian Drummond voiced Vegeta in the Ocean Dub. They somehow made "fake Vegeta" a badass fanservice joke.

E: I also really like how Beerus' Level 3? completely dissolves you if that's the final hit.
E2: Also, yeah, Beerus kicking little bouncing stars around like magic pool balls is cool.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 17, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Firstborn posted:

There's a forgettable arc in Dragon Ball Super where Vegeta goes to a planet and a goo monster copies him and Vegeta starts to fade away, the GooVegeta rapidly taking his abilities and stuff. It's forgettable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSMbktR9LxY
For the dub they got Brian Drummond to place GooVegeta. Brian Drummond voiced Vegeta in the Ocean Dub. They somehow made "fake Vegeta" a badass fanservice joke.

E: I also really like how Beerus' Level 3? completely dissolves you if that's the final hit.
E2: Also, yeah, Beerus kicking little bouncing stars around like magic pool balls is cool.

This epidode just aired on us tv this week and theres no new episode for 3 weeks cause of holidays so the toonami crowd is gonna know googeta really well after their dvr catches the rerun a half dozen times this month

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Also after googeta I think is the universe 6 vs 7 baseball game which is fantastic as someone who doesnt care for filler eps.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I really like almost all of the filler stuff in the Saiyan saga, I think it improves on the manga. Actually getting to see everyone training for Nappa and Vegeta, Goku having an actual adventure on the snake way instead of it just being a random thing that exists and then it just cuts past, a bit more insight on Goku actually learning the Spirit Bomb. My only real problem with it is the part where the humans get owned by a vision of two Saiyans to humble them, and then they show up to the fight all confident anyway. I think it would have been cool to have those visions be two guys on Raditz's level and have the humans take them out fairly handily, then have Kami or Mr. Popo frowning and warning them not to get too confident, but only Yajirobe really listening. Foreshadowing, and all.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Sometimes I wish the lunchbox samurai had stuck around with the crew, always a few tiers behind but still somehow truckin', just to be the voice of uncaring disdain and sometimes reason for the band of lunatics, while also playing team medic and the occasional assassin if someone gets beaten enough to eat sword

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yajirobe accomplished more in z than tien and yamcha tbh. I guess it makes sense for him to actually know when to quit, though. I just wish Toriyama had pretended at him being relevant enough for him to get into more fighting games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yajirobe did more permanent damage to Vegeta than literally anyone else in Dragonball.

I wonder if Vegeta ever gets really bitter about that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Yajirobe did more permanent damage to Vegeta than literally anyone else in Dragonball.

The Budokai Tenkaichi games have Yajirobe going "Uhh, let bygones be bygones?" and Vegeta going "Oh, yes, you're about to be gone!" and then him going "And that was for my tail" if Vegeta wins. It's neat-o.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I like to pretend he still has a scar from it to this day, and it's just noticeable enough for him that he never quite forgets inbetween the roaring of Kaioken PTSD flashbacks

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Goddamn Brian Drummond is a billion times better as Vegeta than Sabbat.

Sabbat’s Piccolo/Armstrong/All-Might are great, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Black August posted:

I like to pretend he still has a scar from it to this day, and it's just noticeable enough for him that he never quite forgets inbetween the roaring of Kaioken PTSD flashbacks

That much is canon at least.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Grab some tweezers, we'll get that tail right back out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Endorph posted:

I really like almost all of the filler stuff in the Saiyan saga, I think it improves on the manga. Actually getting to see everyone training for Nappa and Vegeta, Goku having an actual adventure on the snake way instead of it just being a random thing that exists and then it just cuts past, a bit more insight on Goku actually learning the Spirit Bomb. My only real problem with it is the part where the humans get owned by a vision of two Saiyans to humble them, and then they show up to the fight all confident anyway. I think it would have been cool to have those visions be two guys on Raditz's level and have the humans take them out fairly handily, then have Kami or Mr. Popo frowning and warning them not to get too confident, but only Yajirobe really listening. Foreshadowing, and all.
Gohan in particular really benefits from a lot of that Saiyan saga filler, like in that episode where he almost runs back home but changes his mind and decides to go back to training in the wilderness.

In the manga he really just seems kind of there, almost more of a deus ex machina than a real character, until some of that early Namek stuff and then doesn't really do much again after that until like the Cell Games.