Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

xamphear posted:

Mozilla keeps doing poo poo like this, and I really wonder what in the hell they are thinking.

Objection: assumes facts not in evidence. (Namely that Mozilla has been "thinking" when they do poo poo like this.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
As a Firefox ESR user I'm occasionally saddened that I'm missing the new features. Occasionally I'm gladly reminded that I'm missing the new features.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
That was stupid of them but Quantum is the first time I've really switched over to Firefox, they have pretty much total feature parity with Chrome, perform better with a million tabs open like I have, import Chrome passwords fine, and let me run uBlock on my phone browser without rooting... I can give them a pass.

For these new extensions, is Firefox or anyone vetting them? For example, uBlock Origin gets permission to see all your sites visited and adjust your privacy settings... is there a nerd forum somewhere with people who are actually reviewing the source code to make sure it's not all being sent to North Korea etc?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I can't for the life of me understand the "million-tabs open" crowd. You don't even know (can't know) what's in there anymore. 90% of those tabs are opened for things that are no longer relevant or you found the solution to whatever problem you're having 6 months ago. Even with 8K resolution and only 100% scaling, the tab title is no longer visible, so finding something is impossible.
This is the only time when "you're holding it wrong" is a perfectly valid answer to any problem they may be having.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Volguus posted:

I can't for the life of me understand the "million-tabs open" crowd. You don't even know (can't know) what's in there anymore. 90% of those tabs are opened for things that are no longer relevant or you found the solution to whatever problem you're having 6 months ago. Even with 8K resolution and only 100% scaling, the tab title is no longer visible, so finding something is impossible.
This is the only time when "you're holding it wrong" is a perfectly valid answer to any problem they may be having.

It's like a short term bookmark. When I scroll down a news site, I pop open the stories I want to read in new tabs. Then I might read two, before I get distracted, fall down a Wikipedia hole, open five tabs about Roman emperors, then I read another news story, open a TV tab to watch a show, which I listen to while reading about a Roman emperor, and so on and so forth. If I need to update the browser or reboot, I need about 45 minutes to complete my tabs. I'm not saying it's a great lifestyle, it's more of a syndrome, but at least my attention span is utterly hosed. What were we talking about again?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm "that guy" that keeps FF's tracking protection on and runs Adguard (standalone, the addons.mozilla.org one can't block certain types of ads) on top of it. And I probably run a couple redundant filters on Adguard since I figure maybe one filter list will include things the other will lack. It maybe could add 0.18 seconds to each page browser render or whatever that i don't know about, but who gives a gently caress the web is so much faster than it was in 1998.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I don't think I've seen it posted in the thread, but Tree Style Tab was rewritten to work on Firefox 57+ a while ago

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Volguus posted:

By count the majority of my tabs are things I intend to get to at some point or another. Eventually might be in twenty minutes or three years. I've got like 70 tabs opened to various manga series I intend to read at some point, every now and then I'll go in and read a new one.

You might say I can use bookmarks, but why? Tab groups before, and TST still, allow me to categorize tabs freely and keep tabs I'm not immediately using out of the way. Why should I hide them behind multiple menus that require me to use more menus to manage them when I can just open a tab, toss it in to a tab group, and in modern browsers (save for FF57) it'll unload itself soon and stop using more than a trivial amount of RAM. I see bookmarks as an outdated relic from before the concepts of resumable sessions, tabbed browsing, or unloading tabs existed. I either intend to keep up on something, in which case I use RSS instead of manually checking bookmarks, or I have something open until I get around to it or decide I will never get to it, in which case a tab I close with a single button press when I'm done is better.

As for "finding something is impossible" even with hundreds of tabs it was never hard to find things. I wish I could find the study, but I can't remember what the primary point of the study was and this was only an aside. Power users in general rely less on the UI telling them where things are and keep a pretty decent model of where everything is, and this applied to UIs in general not just browsers. It's like searching for something in your kitchen when you cook a lot; you know where everything is without having to open every drawer in order each time.

Also tab scope used to be a thing but that's another extension that died with FF 57, and is where FF is now behind Edge and Vivaldi which is pretty sad.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Volguus posted:

When you start typing the url or page title of a page that's open in another tab or window, Firefox will let you jump straight to it.
I have my tabs set to icon only and use that to change tabs, I just find it easier than constantly closing and reopening sites as I need them thru out the week.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The Internet is very much 'out of sight, out of mind' for me. Bookmarks are for deep storage at best, and most things that go in there go there to die. I simply can't keep track of webcomics or blogs or things of that sort without an RSS feed. I really liked tab groups, but unless I was using a particular group on a regular basis, it ended up becoming another page of glorified bookmarks.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Desuwa posted:

Why should I hide them behind multiple menus that require me to use more menus to manage them when I can just open a tab, toss it in to a tab group, and in modern browsers (save for FF57) it'll unload itself soon and stop using more than a trivial amount of RAM. I see bookmarks as an outdated relic from before the concepts of resumable sessions, tabbed browsing, or unloading tabs existed. I either intend to keep up on something, in which case I use RSS instead of manually checking bookmarks, or I have something open until I get around to it or decide I will never get to it, in which case a tab I close with a single button press when I'm done is better.

As for "finding something is impossible" even with hundreds of tabs it was never hard to find things. I wish I could find the study, but I can't remember what the primary point of the study was and this was only an aside. Power users in general rely less on the UI telling them where things are and keep a pretty decent model of where everything is, and this applied to UIs in general not just browsers. It's like searching for something in your kitchen when you cook a lot; you know where everything is without having to open every drawer in order each time.

Bieeardo posted:

The Internet is very much 'out of sight, out of mind' for me. Bookmarks are for deep storage at best, and most things that go in there go there to die.

Same.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

RZApublican posted:

I don't think I've seen it posted in the thread, but Tree Style Tab was rewritten to work on Firefox 57+ a while ago

Yes, it is, and this bit of userChrome.css makes it actually useful!

code:
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
#TabsToolbar {
    visibility: collapse !important;
}
#sidebar-box[sidebarcommand="treestyletab_piro_sakura_ne_jp-sidebar-action"] #sidebar-header {
  display: none;
}

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Lum posted:

And if you want to make the sidebar look like it did pre-57, paste this into the custom style textbox in the options for TST:
code:
.tab { padding: 0.5px; }
And if you're missing features that you got with Tab Mix Plus when combined with TST, search AMO for "Tree Style Tab" as there are some addon-addons that add things back like mousewheel scrolling to change tabs and so on.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Lum posted:

Just to confirm before I mess with it, does this allow tabs to be hidden as if they were in a different tab group? I finally made the jump to 57 last week and TST as-is definitely doesn't help much without the ability to hide tabs I'm not using right this moment.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Manyorcas posted:

Just to confirm before I mess with it, does this allow tabs to be hidden as if they were in a different tab group? I finally made the jump to 57 last week and TST as-is definitely doesn't help much without the ability to hide tabs I'm not using right this moment.

It hides the tab bar at the top, and also the header on the TST sidebar.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

I'm "that guy" that keeps FF's tracking protection on and runs Adguard (standalone, the addons.mozilla.org one can't block certain types of ads) on top of it. And I probably run a couple redundant filters on Adguard since I figure maybe one filter list will include things the other will lack. It maybe could add 0.18 seconds to each page browser render or whatever that i don't know about, but who gives a gently caress the web is so much faster than it was in 1998.

why don't you just use ublock origin

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Generic Monk posted:

why don't you just use ublock origin

Because I don't like it after using it for years. I like that Adguard auto-enables filters and a few of their own filters are better than the EasyList poo poo that uBlock defaults to. I also like that I'm using the same filters on all my browsers, including Edge where UBO has always been iffy, and iOS.

Aside from the quality of life feature of auto-enabling of certain filters for me, there's not much it's doing that UBO couldn't if I tried hard enough, but I finally got tired of "YOU'RE USING AN AD BLOCKER gently caress YOU" from a local newspaper, and trying and failing to fix it one day I installed Adguard as "the other blocker that gets recommended around SA" and the site that I couldn't defeat just stopped annoying me. Lastly, the one time I asked for support with their extensions the whole issue was resolved in less than 24 hours. Much like you'd expect from a commercial product rather than a github/community project (which makes sense, since the browser extension is effectively a promotional tool for their commercial filter.)

Their "select an element to block" thing has a "block similar elements like this" which automatically adds the wildcard stuff for people like me who don't know how to make code strings.

The debut of iOS ad blockers and the subsequent rush of everyone from randos around the world to Marco Arment to big time organizations like Mozilla making iOS ad blockers, made me realize that there is no one good blocker, there's just the blocker you like until it fails you for some reason and another one impresses you more.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 17, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

You know the web is in a sorry state when there is a complex ecosystem of content blocking.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

made me realize that there is no one good blocker, there's just the blocker you like until it fails you for some reason and another one impresses you more.

uBlock Origin is the one good blocker when it comes to browser addons, though. iOS blockers are more or less "which wrapper around easylist do you like the best" - however, since browser addons can do more than just provide a list of resources to block, there is a heck of a lot more to differentiate them.

Out of curiosity, what's the local newspaper? Did you try enabling any of the "annoyances" lists in uBO?

Bonus question: Do shopping portals work out of the box with adguard, or do they require additional configuration to whitelist?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

astral posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the local newspaper? Did you try enabling any of the "annoyances" lists in uBO?

I don't know if it isn't blocking it today, but uBO (or at least it's Edge release which uses the same lists) couldn't get around the Las Vegas Sun's "gently caress you" message that takes over the window and prevents scrolling and has no close option. I would use the manual eyedrop thing to select a page element, which worked for that page but it seemed to generate new ID's every time to circumvent that so it would reappear on the next page I loaded. I think the lists have since been updated to fix that, but Adguard has a "check this box to add wildcards to prevent similar elements" thing that made it gone permanently, which means it probably could have been done with UBO if I wanted to learn about how CSS and web pages actually work, but that's an education I don't want.

I like my setup, and I'm not switching from it until I see something that makes me go "welp, time to try something else" yet again. I'm not saying UBO is bad, I'm saying it's a little bit like Linux to Adguard's MacOS.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Craptacular! posted:

Their "select an element to block" thing has a "block similar elements like this" which automatically adds the wildcard stuff for people like me who don't know how to make code strings.
You can ctrl click in the list of options uBlock Origin's element picker offers you for similar functionality. Just for anyone who hadn't figured that out.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

One trick that sometimes works against those anti adblock things is Reader View, the little tablet icon on the right end of the URL bar.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

You can ctrl click in the list of options uBlock Origin's element picker offers you for similar functionality. Just for anyone who hadn't figured that out.

How do you ctrl-click on a mobile?
uBlock Origin is great and I love it a lot. But its a god drat terrible experience if you're trying to do anything remotely more advanced than just picking a filter list if you're not regex or code literate. ABP was a hell of a lot more user friendly in that regard.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Geemer posted:

You don't because you can't.

But pretty much delete everything between the last element of the rule and the # signs at the beginning and 9 times out of 10 that's what you're looking for. This is still a big hassle on mobile.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Geemer posted:

uBlock Origin is great and I love it a lot. But its a god drat terrible experience if you're trying to do anything remotely more advanced than just picking a filter list if you're not regex or code literate. ABP was a hell of a lot more user friendly in that regard.

I'm not sure what you're thinking about, other than third party extensions that improved the abp experience like the element hider helper.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So I like keeping my bookmarks (and nothing else) synchronized over my Firefox account.

And now the iOS client doesn't seem to support turning off syncing cookies anymore?

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
One assumes it is the height of pointlessness to run APB and uBlock Origin simultaneously, right? Given they likely overlap a bit if not a lot in terms of lists, all it does to run both is to waste some CPU time...so a halfway intelligent person would stick with uBlock and maybe another couple useful extensions like HTTPS Everywhere and NoScript, right?

Or am I missing something obvious to where it actually makes sense to run both...?

PS if only Tab Mix Plus and SALR would return it would be awesome

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

I'm "that guy" that keeps FF's tracking protection on and runs Adguard (standalone, the addons.mozilla.org one can't block certain types of ads) on top of it.
That sounds perfectly fine? "That guy" would be someone who on top of that would add ubo, abp, ghostery, umatrix, policeman, request policy, etc and then need to troubleshoot all 5+ extensions when a page breaks.

Geemer posted:

I barely make any custom filters in ubo and never did when I used abp so I can't compare the 2 but this seems simple enough to understand. And you can very easily make basic static and dynamic filters from the logger without knowing any syntax.

Storm One fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 18, 2017

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Slippery posted:

One assumes it is the height of pointlessness to run APB and uBlock Origin simultaneously, right?
One would assume correctly that AdPlock Blus is entirely obsoleted by uBlock Origin. uBO in advanced mode will also take over most of what NoScript can do.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Flipperwaldt posted:

One would assume correctly that AdPlock Blus is entirely obsoleted by uBlock Origin. uBO in advanced mode will also take over most of what NoScript can do.

Got it, thanks! I figured that was the case.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Flipperwaldt posted:

Another Gorhill add-on, uMatrix, fills in the rest of the NoScript functions. It also does script blocking smarter and with a much more easy to manage mode for creating per-site exceptions.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm Twitter being salty about tracking protections

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Haven't been following this sort of news but it looks like the yahoo/mozilla thing didn't end well:

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/12/05/mozilla-files-cross-complaint-against-yahoo-holdings-and-oath/

e: link to yahoo's complaint with quite a bit of redaction https://blog.mozilla.org/press/files/2017/12/2017-12-01-Yahoo-Redacted-Complaint.pdf

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

EoRaptor posted:

Another Gorhill add-on, uMatrix, fills in the rest of the NoScript functions. It also does script blocking smarter and with a much more easy to manage mode for creating per-site exceptions.
NoScript does other stuff not covered by those 2, though admittedly I find uMatrix easier to manage than NoScript (old or new).

quote:

The main (most visible, but not the only) features of NoScript, beside script blocking, which are not present in any other security product are:

Its XSS filter (already in NoScript 10)
ClearClick (Clickjacking protection), being ported
ABE (Cross-Site Request Forgery protection), being ported too.

Both ABE and ClearClick are scheduled for release in 10.2 end of December or beginning of January. And no, with uMatrix + HTTPS Everywhere + Privacy Badger you can barely match 3rd party active content blocking + HTTPS locking, but none of the above (XSS, Clickjacking and CSRF protection).

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
ClearClick catches quite a few things.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Firefox can't seem to play videos embedded in a tweet, it just goes straight to "the media could not be played". I have to go to the tweet itself to see the video. I thought it was a umatrix issue, but I can't find anything relevant to further whitelist.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
^^^ :wave:

iospace posted:

I'm Twitter being salty about tracking protections

Is this why twitter videos have suddenly stopped working when linked to the forums?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gorilla Salad posted:

^^^ :wave:

Is this why twitter videos have suddenly stopped working when linked to the forums?

Yup. I'm almost positive because when I took the extra step of blocking tackers in uBO, it stopped. They still embed, but don't play anymore.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Hmmm... starting yesterday Firefox seems to have forgotten to save my cookies for some forums sites where I stay always logged in. I had to log in to them all yesterday and today as well. No idea why. Anyone else getting this?

Oh, and animated GIFs haven't played for me since the update to Firefox 57.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Volguus posted:

My password management system:
1. 1234
2. 1234
3. FuckYouForNotTaking1234

It works. Nobody would ever guess 1234 as a password. I mean, who on earth would put 1234 as their password?
Not sure if you're joking, but assuming you're using a very simple password, frankly I don't even know if simple vs. strong passwords matter much these days. Aren't the majority of hacks done via phishing (where you yourself enter your password in a fake login form), keylogging (where the complexity of the password doesn't matter), or data theft? I don't have any data to back my assumption up, but I don't think there are many hacks done by guessing or brute forcing, two scenarios where password complexity matters. The former is ridiculously time consuming, and the latter is very easy to protect systems/websites against.