Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Scruffpuff posted:

Wondering who "owns" Star Citizen is like asking who owns leukemia. It's not like people are jockeying to be first in line - it's definitely a race to the bottom.

I've effortposted about this before so I'll keep it brief. The correct answer is, "whoever owns the Star Citizen user data."

When Twitter IPO'd it was not profitable. Here are the top three tech IPO's from 2017. None of them make a profit. They all lose money every quarter:

Snap: $20 billion.
Mulesoft: $2.9 billion today.
Cloudera: $2.3 billion.

How is this possible? The answer is user data. The value of your tech company is measured in how much you know about your users, and how exploitable their market segments are. The more users, the better.

Well, CIG is sitting on a loving gold mine of stupid, gullible, loyal users. A lot of them. Anyone here who's made an account on RSI and bought a ship (or more)... CIG has your data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

hot balls man no homo posted:

Guys guys guys... Remember back when land sales for cash was the latest CIG gently caress-up that we were all laughing at? That was like 3 weeks ago. Before that was r/ds getting shuttered. Star Citizen is going to end 2017 with a bang.

I guess the shills were right when they kept saying that 2017 was the year when the pace of development was really going to pick up. 2:03 in Hall of the Mountain King, indeed.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Guys guys guys... Remember back when land sales for cash was the latest CIG gently caress-up that we were all laughing at? That was like 3 weeks ago. Before that was r/ds getting shuttered. Star Citizen is going to end 2017 with a bang.

that is true. it's been a real wild rollercoaster recently, like running down a steep hill

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

You have to admit that we all stopped talking about the guy running their networking department saying that netcode isn't responsible for how the game plays.

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

:gary:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Around the Verse (In first class)

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
This week on "Around the Witness Stand"...

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

that gif of wtfo assaulting that poor lady is one of the most disgusting things ive seen, and i've been on the internet for a very long time.

i hope the worst for him.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

juggalo baby coffin posted:

that gif of wtfo assaulting that poor lady is one of the most disgusting things ive seen, and i've been on the internet for a very long time.

He's stuck playing Star Citizen as a living.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Toops posted:

Twitter: "Hey Ben, are you still with CIG? Haven't seen you in any videos lately..."
Ben: "I am still working hard on the things in my life that I am working on!"

His story arc is just really amazing. After being raptured from the education system and snatched up to the opportunity of a lifetime to serve at the pleasure of his godking, he got to watch firsthand as that man destroyed — mistake after mistake, impulse after impulse, lie after lie — the greatest opportunity even bestowed upon an independent developer in gaming history.

Yet after all that, he really may end up unironically returning to the good work of cataloging Wing Commander arcana in the end. He took a pile of detritus off Sandi’s hands, stuff of interest to nearly no one besides Chris, Ben and a handful of whales of a certain age would possible give a crap about, yet with it he may find contentment and engagement for years more to come. Harkening back to the ‘greatness’ of what once was just as he did before Chris and Sandi came into his life, faithful until death.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

G0RF posted:

His story arc is just really amazing. After being raptured from the education system and snatched up to the opportunity of a lifetime to serve at the pleasure of his godking, he got to watch firsthand as that man destroyed — mistake after mistake, impulse after impulse, lie after lie — the greatest opportunity even bestowed upon an independent developer in gaming history.

Yet after all that, he really may end up unironically returning to the good work of cataloging Wing Commander arcana in the end. He took a pile of detritus off Sandi’s hands, stuff of interest to nearly no one besides Chris, Ben and a handful of whales of a certain age would possible give a crap about, yet with it he may find contentment and engagement for years more to come. Harkening back to the ‘greatness’ of what once was just as he did before Chris and Sandi came into his life, faithful until death.

FIDELES QUOAD DECEDEMUS

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

G0RF posted:

He took a pile of detritus off Sandi’s hands, stuff of interest to nearly no one besides Chris, Ben and a handful of whales of a certain age would possible give a crap about, yet with it he may find contentment and engagement for years more to come.
TBH I don't think Chris even gave a crap about all those mouldy boxes Ben got. Chris strikes me as the sort of person only to care about his past accomplishments when it can be used as a way to convey his sense of ego and imagined abilities as a developer, but I don't imagine for one second he has any kind of sentimental attachment to those things.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Dusty Lens posted:

You have to admit that we all stopped talking about the guy running their networking department saying that netcode isn't responsible for how the game plays.

I had honestly forgotten about that tire fire. They scheduled a networking special addressing that particular gently caress up some time next year. I somehow doubt that is a priority at the moment

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Toops posted:

I've effortposted about this before so I'll keep it brief. The correct answer is, "whoever owns the Star Citizen user data."

When Twitter IPO'd it was not profitable. Here are the top three tech IPO's from 2017. None of them make a profit. They all lose money every quarter:

Snap: $20 billion.
Mulesoft: $2.9 billion today.
Cloudera: $2.3 billion.

How is this possible? The answer is user data. The value of your tech company is measured in how much you know about your users, and how exploitable their market segments are. The more users, the better.

Well, CIG is sitting on a loving gold mine of stupid, gullible, loyal users. A lot of them. Anyone here who's made an account on RSI and bought a ship (or more)... CIG has your data.

So I bought a starter package and a Titan Avenger upgrade. So...$120ish? What do they have on me?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Have you ever seen a man gently caress another man's penis?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

DapperDon posted:

So I bought a starter package and a Titan Avenger upgrade. So...$120ish? What do they have on me?

they might know that you're a goonie cuntifla

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

G0RF posted:

stuff of interest to nearly no one besides Chris
I can assure you that Chris doesn't remember or care about most of the Wing Commander poo poo he's made.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

thatguy posted:

Have you ever seen a man gently caress another man's penis?

yeah. ive also seen a guy stick a knife all the way down his pee hole. and the wfto gif was worse

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

CrazyTolradi posted:

TBH I don't think Chris even gave a crap about all those mouldy boxes Ben got. Chris strikes me as the sort of person only to care about his past accomplishments when it can be used as a way to convey his sense of ego and imagined abilities as a developer, but I don't imagine for one second he has any kind of sentimental attachment to those things.

While there's no telling what callbacks are exploitative and which are genuine, but I'm not sure if that's the case. I remember him being pleased with the Wing Commander callback in the 300i commercial and the showcasing of various models which always float around his offices. I don't think he leaned too heavily on referencing his old works as time went by due to that no long being particularly relevant to the new groups of consumers who wanted to know what was going on with his current project, talking about games long gone by already brought in the confidence building crowd.

But I think the dude appreciates his past projects and spends a lot of time considering them and hoping to recreate what he feels was successful.

Since I'm already fully engaged in writing one of these types of horrible posts it could possible to consider a frustration with the inability to recreate those past successes. I'm not a particularly creative person but I have to imagine that there's a kind of frustration loop with building your career on the backs of games that have your name on them but were produced and built by people who kept a steady hand on the tiller, but whenever you go off on your own and vomit the same ideas with the same enthusiasm under your own power everything turns to poo poo.

That would have to be frustrating on a very deep level, feeling like you're unable to live up to your name that other people put on boxes of their games.

So there's still a determination to revisit the same old styles. The live action cinema, the cockpits and all the other hallmarks but with this gnawing frustration that you can't seem to actually do it on your own. There's almost no reason to try a lot of the things that he does and the audience that specifically wants those things is pretty limited.

So maybe you're right. But I don't think he's separated from them. I think on a real level there's a very strong desire to make the game and produce the movie and cross the finish line without anyone holding anyone's hand to resolve the litany of failures. But, well, it's not really much of a character development story if you just keep making the same mistakes every time you inexplicably get handed amazing opportunities.

Butts.

thatguy posted:

I can assure you that Chris doesn't remember or care about most of the Wing Commander poo poo he's made.

:same:

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Dusty Lens posted:

So maybe you're right. But I don't think he's separated from them. I think on a real level there's a very strong desire to make the game and produce the movie and cross the finish line without anyone holding anyone's hand to resolve the litany of failures. But, well, it's not really much of a character development story if you just keep making the same mistakes every time you inexplicably get handed amazing opportunities.

Butts.

:same:

Chris is the embodiment of "History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce."

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

I guess third as a :gary:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Dusty Lens posted:

So maybe you're right. But I don't think he's separated from them. I think on a real level there's a very strong desire to make the game and produce the movie and cross the finish line without anyone holding anyone's hand to resolve the litany of failures.
To me, Chris comes across as someone who does things purely because he wants to be seen as successful, for him it's all about that image of being a hotshot success and in his mind he feels he has to be a movie producer to do that. As some have said in this thread, to him he cares more about the big name actors and the cinematics in the game than the gameplay itself.

Also, as has been said before, he's the sort of person who does things or has things because that's what successful people have/do, therefore if he does or has the same things he too must be successful.

Chris certainly is repeating his past mistakes all over again, he's trying to use the video game industry as an in to making movies. Only this time he's not even getting past the "make the game" part before royally loving up like he did with Kevin Costner.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

CrazyTolradi posted:

He’s held on to them for decades. He could have dumpstered them at any point between now and the 1990s. Yet they have followed him from locale to locale, across states and perhaps countries, and only just now leave his possession in a transfer agreement to a custodian of incomparable loyalty who esteems the game beyond all reason and attributes to it quasi-miraculous healing powers.

The success of Wing Commander taught Chris every deluded notion that define his adult selfhood and managerial style, the delusions he now clings to so desperately, the delusions that brought his once-in-a-lifetime dreamshot to ruination. He was greatly mishapened by it — as are many who experience outsized success too early yet lack the proper cognitive or social feedback loops to protect against false narratives of manifest destiny.

In light of that, I think the preciousness of this miscellany to Chris is beyond certain. It doesn’t mean he obsessed over it or paid it constant attention; it means he can’t let it be lost to the landfills because it is meaningful. Why else would it still exist? Really? This roving paper and media archive is deemed worth keeping as it is tied to the purest, proudest winning streak he has ever or will ever know in his life. And as a calamity of his own making rushes forward to meet him, monstrous at a scale rarely seen or contemplated in the industry, how could the memories of that simpler, emboldening era not be all the more poignant?

G0RF fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 18, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'll actually be really disappointed if the lawsuit kills development any time soon. Watching 3.0 limp along is pretty entertaining.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Could a mod delete gorf's post and put his text in my post?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

In all of this CIG peeps are crunching one last week before christmas to try and push out a stillborn fetus. If they cant, then we wont see 3.0 in live till FEB at the earliest. But knowing CIG they'll just keep pushing it back because Chris operates entirely on marketable release dates and there isn't anything after the year passes till E3 and then gamescom.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016
Calling it now: As soon as CIG responds to the complaint. Watch for Skadden to file a Motion for Emergency Injunction from the one described in the complaint. Unless CIG has a legal warchest, then that injunction will force CIG to wither on the legal vine and cause for a Motion of Summary Judgement. This this is over guys. Amazon is just not in the charity business, I don't care WHAT .Smile says.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sindai posted:

I'll actually be really disappointed if the lawsuit kills development any time soon. Watching 3.0 limp along is pretty entertaining.

Let's be realistic here- development has basically been dead in the water for well over a year at this point. 3.0 was a panic dump of the absolutely miniscule progress they'd made in that time, but even if there wasn't a lawsuit and a financial crisis hanging over their heads, we wouldn't see any further updates until it came time for the big sales next year. Everything they do is constantly being refactored, so every feature they add just tacks on the growing enormous overhead of constant rework. I think 3.0 was the millstone that broke the camel's back in that regard. I doubt we'll ever see another big content patch.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Sindai posted:

i think you'll find its already got more content and gameplay than any other game out there

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Dusty Lens posted:

Could a mod delete gorf's post and put his text in my post?

:lol:

I mean just imagine... Chris must’ve listened to Sandi hector him about “all that old Wing Commander crap” he’s dragged around for over a decade now. Yet still he found the strength to protect it. If you will hold on to something even at the cost of enduring the abuses of a world class virago like Sandi, well, that’s true love, my friends.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Latin Pheonix posted:

Overall, this complaint makes a lot of things in CIG's past add up; the sudden change to Lumberyard makes sense if you consider that CIG was chained to an agreement with Crytek but saw an opportunity when Crytek suffered financial woes. My guess is that CIG couldn't get Cryengine to work for SC, saw Lumberyard and figured it would be easier to work with and then jumped ship, assuming that Crytek would simply disappear and no-one would pick up the contract and pursue them afterwards (or, alternatively, Chris didn't know that might happen or didn't care). The split of Squadron 42 may have been particularly scummy as it may have been CIG trying to stiff Crytek out of royalties for sales when it knew that Crytek would be unable to dispute their action (this is all just speculation, though).

tl;dr: CIG tried to gently caress over Crytek, thinking Crytek would go bust, and it came screaming back to bite them in the rear end.

e: Minor grammar changes.

Not that LumberYard would be easier to work with, but that it was tangentially attached to CryEngine that they could use legal anal lube to gently caress CryTek out of anything they could. They already poached the poo poo out of their workforce so why not? Chris Roberts has a very rich history of loving over people that choose to do business with him. This is no different. Chris, if you are reading this, know I am applauding your demise. gently caress you.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

DapperDon posted:

Calling it now: As soon as CIG responds to the complaint. Watch for Skadden to file a Motion for Emergency Injunction from the one described in the complaint. Unless CIG has a legal warchest, then that injunction will force CIG to wither on the legal vine and cause for a Motion of Summary Judgement. This this is over guys. Amazon is just not in the charity business, I don't care WHAT .Smile says.

If they get the injunction, it will be over faster than a glazed dozen within arm's reach of banditloaf.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Abuminable posted:

If they get the injunction, it will be over faster than a glazed dozen within arm's reach of banditloaf.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Golli posted:

Chris is the embodiment of "History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce."

It's been farce every time with him. Other people just cleaned up after him until now.

G0RF posted:

His story arc is just really amazing. After being raptured from the education system and snatched up to the opportunity of a lifetime to serve at the pleasure of his godking

The best thing that has come out of this whole mess is that no schoolchildren have to be grossed out by this crass, terrible Lesnick.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 18, 2017

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016
When damages are an ongoing and daily thing, the courts are bound to step in and staunch the bleeding without significant reason not to have the motion granted. You achieve the largest problem in any legal battle. Shifting the burden of proof onto the defendant. That is the kiss of death.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Abuminable posted:

Have you seen that man's arms? I don't think you could fit more than half a dozen in that radius.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

G0RF posted:

He’s held on to them for decades. He could have dumpstered them at any point between now and the 1990s. Yet they have followed him from locale to locale, across states and perhaps countries, and only just now leave his possession in a transfer agreement to a custodian of incomparable loyalty who esteems the game beyond all reason and attributes to it quasi-miraculous healing powers.

The success of Wing Commander taught Chris every deluded notion that define his adult selfhood and managerial style, the delusions he now clings to so desperately, the delusions that brought his once-in-a-lifetime dreamshot to ruination. He was greatly mishapened by it — as are many who experience outsized success too early yet lack the proper cognitive or social feedback loops to protect against false narratives of manifest destiny.

In light of that, I think the preciousness of this miscellany to Chris is beyond certain. It doesn’t mean he obsessed over it or paid it constant attention; it means he can’t let it be lost to the landfills because it is meaningful. Why else would it still exist? Really? This roving paper and media archive is deemed worth keeping as it is tied to the purest, proudest winning streak he has ever or will ever know in his life. And as a calamity of his own making rushes forward to meet him, monstrous at a scale rarely seen or contemplated in the industry, how could the memories of that simpler, emboldening era not be all the more poignant?

If I remember correctly, Ben bought that stuff because it was being evicted from storage and was destined for the dump.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

G0RF posted:

:lol:

Note to the Skadden paralegal researching this thread for actionable material: Find that email exchange!

Note to the Coutts paralegal researching this thread for actionable material: Get your money back!

Note to the CIG Intern reading this thread for objectionable material for senior management: Do you really think Chris and Sandi need more crap to worry about right now? The dissent you’ve been long tasked with monitoring and cataloging has gone viral. It didn’t all originate here, or with Derek, it emerges naturally for reasonable minds paying passing attention to the non-stop marathons of self-owns, unforced errors, overpromises and undeliveries and uninterrupted lying that “filters from the top” of CIG. The true enemy of this project was within all along. They sent you here. So it really might be time to polish up that CV, file your honest Glassdoor take, and bounce to a better job at a company not in terminal decay spiral induced by moral turpitude and gross incompetence. You deserve better!

Note to self: Get your money back! More Popcorn!

Loxbourne posted:

So many good posts! I want to pay tribute to all of them but I'll just say :five: :five: :five:

yes very much so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

G0RF posted:

It really is. It reads like The Hobbit.

“Then the prophecies of the old Freelancer days
have turned out to be true, after a fashion!” said
Ben.

“Of course!” said Chris. “And why should
not they prove true? Surely you don’t disbelieve
the prophecies, because you had a hand in
bringing them about yourself? You don’t really
suppose, do you, that all your archives and
escapes were managed by mere luck, just for
your sole benefit? You are a very fat person,
Mr. Lesnick, and I am very fond of you; but you