Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Sometime when I’m scavenging I’d actually prefer the monsters to show up. I have money, what I want is loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean, all guides say that to get monsters to show up, just fail the QTE (and remove salvaging blades from your line-up).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Replayability chat: I could definitely see myself replaying this game and setting silly conditions on myself like "only common blades" or whatever

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Tae posted:

I mean, all guides say that to get monsters to show up, just fail the QTE (and remove salvaging blades from your line-up).

Do better capsules summon better monsters tho?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Replayability chat: I could definitely see myself replaying this game and setting silly conditions on myself like "only common blades" or whatever

I'll keep repeating this here but a good roll on a common blade will absolutely wreck any rare blade, you're not gimping yourself with them. I'm in the post game defeating the level 100-130 unique monsters now and their skills are essential, most rare blades are obsolete.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

nerdz posted:

I'll keep repeating this here but a good roll on a common blade will absolutely wreck any rare blade, you're not gimping yourself with them. I'm in the post game defeating the level 100-130 unique monsters now and their skills are essential, most rare blades are obsolete.

I’m not even sure what to look for in a common blade besides the star rating. I feel like the highest I’ve seen is 3 while all the rares are like 6? Are these special skills in the affinity chart or something?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The only reason honestly to get rare blades is to see their sidequests. The default story blades are more than good enough to steamroll through the story (especially since by the time you get 5, you have a perfect Break->Topple->Launch->Smash setup).

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Do better capsules summon better monsters tho?

All the guides just involve the gold capsules, and farmning the Krabbe guys for rare cores if you want an early start on it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Bass Bottles posted:

I’m not even sure what to look for in a common blade besides the star rating. I feel like the highest I’ve seen is 3 while all the rares are like 6? Are these special skills in the affinity chart or something?

The rares are 5 and as far as I know the generics can get up to 4. If you want good generics I agree that the combat skills are the important ones.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I want the rare blades for the collection aspect of it and to see all the sidequests and content. Plus, I just like a more lively entourage.

Edit: What do the three silhouettes you see during the summoning cutscene mean?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 18, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Pollyanna posted:

I want the rare blades for the collection aspect of it and to see all the sidequests and content. Plus, I just like a more lively entourage.

Edit: What do the three silhouettes you see during the summoning cutscene mean?

They’re just taunting you as the silhouettes show Boreas, Newt, and Finch but you get your 50th regular-rear end blade

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Calaveron posted:

They’re just taunting you as the silhouettes show Boreas, Newt, and Finch but you get your 50th regular-rear end blade

So, potential rare blades you can get? Some of them look like generics, though...

Since I'm getting a whole bunch of commons, what's the best way to determine whether a common is worth keeping or not? I'll be committing genocide either way, which is bizarre given this game's obsession with humanizing Blades.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I beat chapter 6. So Rin can move at light speed and has the power of "particle control" meaning his dopey rear end is completely invincible until plot spasms or the Architect brings him down. Then he calls Rex a selfish child as Rex reaches out for Pyra and calls her name in obvious concern. What a great guy and compelling villain. I bet when we get to Elysium he'll do a big show of having a bird alight on his finger and he'll send it flying off with a poignant look on his face.

At least Malos is still kinda cool.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Caidin posted:

I beat chapter 6. So Rin can move at light speed and has the power of "particle control" meaning his dopey rear end is completely invincible until plot spasms or the Architect brings him down. Then he calls Rex a selfish child as Rex reaches out for Pyra and calls her name in obvious concern. What a cool guy and compelling villain. I bet when we get to Elysium he'll do a big show of having a bird alight on his finger and he'll send it flying off with a poignant look on his face.

At least Malos is still kinda cool.

Yeah, the plot doesn’t know what exactly it should be doing with Torna

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tae posted:

The only reason honestly to get rare blades is to see their sidequests. The default story blades are more than good enough to steamroll through the story (especially since by the time you get 5, you have a perfect Break->Topple->Launch->Smash setup).

That's not really the point though -- the point is a not insignificant amount of content, as well as potential combat flexibility, is entirely locked behind a luck-based system that rewards nothing that I, the player, do. Even looking for legendary cores is a waste because they have yet to result in rares either. It's a woeful system that goes completely against much of the game's strengths, and should have and could have easily been made into something far better.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Bass Bottles posted:

you should look for the following in a common blade:
also disclaimer, common blades can still be good even if their tree doesn't reach level 5 for most skills.

battle skills: orb master is insanely good. it let's you set elemental orbs for the chain combo at any level of the blade combo. and if you start the combo with this blade the effect will be valid for anyone in the blade combo. you can literally set 6 element orbs in 2 quick blade combos and kill almost everything in the game in one minute, or go all the way to set 8 orbs and kill everything in the game (nothing in the game survives an 8 orb chain attack)

for skills, if a blade has 2 or more damage skills it will be extremely powerful. 3 is an insanely good blade. for example, a blade with extra damage from the front, extra damage at Max HP and extra damage at full affinity can get a modifier of like 250% extra damage that will proc in almost any situation. it goes even higher with aux cores and accessories to get a monster of a blade. I have a near perfect bitball blade that hits standard driver arts for 100k damage.

another really good thing to keep an eye on is the recharge boost driver art, it affects the pouch items that boost regen too, and lets you infinitely chain driver arts without ever doing a single auto attack.

the funny thing about the end game is that the combat logic changes completely. you actually DON'T want to damage the monsters. most of the unique bosses have enrage triggers at certain HP levels. you want to set up a perfect blade combo before you reach them doing as little damage as possible. I now spec fully healer and tanks to reliably do that, with all sorts of stuff to boost party gauge filling. So combat becomes a puzzle to figure out how to most efficiently set up 8 orbs.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

nerdz posted:

Sure, but that good roll can be as hard or harder to actually get than getting a rare blade.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

That's not really the point though -- the point is a not insignificant amount of content, as well as potential combat flexibility, is entirely locked behind a luck-based system that rewards nothing that I, the player, do. Even looking for legendary cores is a waste because they have yet to result in rares either. It's a woeful system that goes completely against much of the game's strengths, and should have and could have easily been made into something far better.

I agree. Luck-based stuff should never be gating content, ever.

I'm gonna be honest, I'm towards the end of chapter 7 and I'm kinda getting sick of the game. By now I've thought many times "I'm bored", "I'm not having fun", "I wish I was doing something else" while playing it, and that's a real bad sign. This game is definitely inferior to 1 and X for me, which is a huge shame. It really seems like Monolith was more interested in quantity over quality, and that hosed it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

So close to two million.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm still very much enjoying the game, though I'm at a point where the difficulty has spiked and I don't know if I wanna do more sidequests right now. I'll probably set it aside until the patch -- I've clocked 80 hours into it and, gatcha gripes aside, I'd still wholly reccomend it to any Switch user. It invokes an era of JRPGs that I wish hadn't ever gone out of style. The battle system and story are still great and I can't gush enough about the environments. I've booted up this game and just run around Uraya and had a great time soaking in the atmosphere.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm still very much enjoying the game, though I'm at a point where the difficulty has spiked and I don't know if I wanna do more sidequests right now. I'll probably set it aside until the patch -- I've clocked 80 hours into it and, gatcha gripes aside, I'd still wholly reccomend it to any Switch user. It invokes an era of JRPGs that I wish hadn't ever gone out of style. The battle system and story are still great and I can't gush enough about the environments. I've booted up this game and just run around Uraya and had a great time soaking in the atmosphere.

Did you play the first game?

EDIT: CHAPTER 7 Is that the fucken Em-Oh-En-Ay-Dee-Oh wtf Malos

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The 1st game was so boring I stopped playing and you tubed the story

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
The missions required to unlock tier 5 Ursula are nutters. Something like 130 ~10 minute quests?

The time isn't even the most tedious part. The worst is having to reassemble the team every 6-10 minutes.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

This was cool and interesting. Thanks!

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Axel Serenity posted:

kosmos is going to literally be my last blade at this point

Nintendo :argh:

Welcome to my world. Two blades left: kosmos and Zenobia what the gently caress.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pollyanna posted:

Did you play the first game?

EDIT: CHAPTER 7 Is that the fucken Em-Oh-En-Ay-Dee-Oh wtf Malos

Yeah, I couldn't get past the blue swamp place, the combat was too clunky and the areas felt a bit too big. Plus, I ended up swapping the Wii version for the 3DS version and I was no longer in awe of the amazing pretty environments.

I never played XCX.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah, I couldn't get past the blue swamp place
You’re a monster

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I didn’t get too far into the first game and dropped X about halfway through but I’m loving 2.

Being able to play in handheld mode helps a lot and I hope X (or both games) get ported to the Switch.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Maybe my tolerance for grindy, tedious JRPGs has fallen in the past few years :shrug:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Should I bother pulling blades for Rex or are his plot ones better

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Should I bother pulling blades for Rex or are his plot ones better

Don't pull blades for Rex.

You'll understand.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The first xenoblade is almost 8 years old, if you played it at launch.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Calaveron posted:

You’re a monster

Look, I get it, but on the 3DS those tree textures look less enchanting and more...not enchanting.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Man what do you want out of a 240p screen? The texture quality is perfectly fine for the smaller handheld screen.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

plus isn't the first game capped out at like 480 or something because of the Wii?

Which is compounded by how if you rip the files onto a PC and play it through an emulator the textures are all 1080 and look incredible

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ok, I was wrong. one monster survived a 9999999 damage combo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Does the instant switching with Pyra and Mythra work with Healing Wind?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

They are every single core I can find, so a mix of all 3, all with the relevant boosters, and they are definitely only the gacha rares left.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

Curious. For people who have popped a ton of cores and gotten absolutely nothing from them, when did you do it, in terms of chapter starts/finishes?

I have a hackneyed theory that there's a softcap on your total number of rare blades that increases with each chapter. It feels like I'll get 1-3 rares fairly quickly if I do a few pulls at the start of a new chapter, then get nothing when I spend a mess of 'em midway through it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I only just noticed that you can see the elements that boosters actually boost orbiting the core crystal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I only just noticed that you can see the elements that boosters actually boost orbiting the core crystal.

Yeah, which is the only way to see them until you trigger the chain attack. It's really awful when you think you activated one but forgot to do it and now will most definitely fail to kill the monster and die instantly once the chain attack is over.

They really should have reserved a space in the UI to put them.

Also I'm starting to get mad at tora's AI. He basically never switches out of his Ice blade once he get's it. I might switch to morag for more reliable earth orb setting.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 18, 2017