Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Klyith posted:

yes

Also if you have the drive installed in a location where the cable is doing tight turns, or the case might be pinching or putting force on the connector, try just letting it sit in the bottom of the case to test it. Or somewhere with the cable going loosely to the drive.

Sata cables are occasionally finicky about physical installation, for example having one folded tightly in half is a good way to give a drive all kinds of screwy problems. Behind-the-mobo SSD caddies are sometimes really bad at this. It's not helped by the cables being flat, so they feel like they should be good to go through 90 degree corners.

I haven't really changed anything but it suddenly works fine. Tried a different cable and managed to get it to work fine, but it also started working again when I plugged the original SATA3 cable back into it. The cable isn't pinching anywhere or putting force on the connector either. No idea why this is working now but everything seems to be fine now. Thanks guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Klyith posted:

Oh man, I guess you never used a sata cable that came free in the mobo box during the first couple years of sata? They were terribad.

Nothing like plugging in the cable, having the super-thin plastic on the plug immediately break for no apparent reason so that it wouldn't keep a good connection on the contacts, throwing it away and pulling out the other cable, and having that one break too.

I was really paranoid the ports on the board were dead as this is an ex - demo cheap board. And the section in the Asrock user manual that sets out which ports get disabled by NVME was written by a lunatic.

And the dead cable, I needed valium by the time it worked. Normally I'm super methodical.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

keevo posted:

I haven't really changed anything but it suddenly works fine. Tried a different cable and managed to get it to work fine, but it also started working again when I plugged the original SATA3 cable back into it. The cable isn't pinching anywhere or putting force on the connector either. No idea why this is working now but everything seems to be fine now. Thanks guys.
Sata cables: proudly upholding the nintendo cartridge tradition in 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

the Asrock user manual ... was written by a lunatic.

as if asrock would employ anyone that wasn't from the occupational therapy outpatient program of the Taiwanese Asylum for the Dangerously Psychotic

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Maybe a dumb question but do SSDs have any cooling requirements? If I stick one to the back side of my motherboard would the lack of airflow pose issues?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Maybe a dumb question but do SSDs have any cooling requirements? If I stick one to the back side of my motherboard would the lack of airflow pose issues?

The Air 540 keeps them in an unventilated space under the motherboard, and I've never had a problem with them. The only SSDs that can have heat issues are the NVMe ones.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
They can't get away with absolutely no cooling, but whatever case airflow you have should be fine. The only time there could start to be issues is with entirely passive builds.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I've had SATA cables develop shorts after being in a computer, untouched for a couple years. Only 1 out of 10 boots would succeed. I thought the hard drive was dying the entire time, brought it into geek squad since that was when nobody in the family knew jack about computers and I guess the movement was enough to jostle it where the problems disappeared for them. When I asked if it could be the cable they said there was no way it could be, problem returned shortly after, reseated the cable just in case and problems persisted. Wasn't until a bit later that I decided to buy a new SATA cable just to try it out and the problem went away entirely.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Probably a stupid question about moving windows to SSD while keeping old drive for storage. There are a lot of guides on how to clone it and its easy enough, but they basically end with OK, boot up and enjoy :downs: Except none take into account that cloned windows still thinks that my documents and god knows what are on the old C: drive on HDD. While I can edit desctop shortcut paths manually I'm pretty sure a whole bunch of crap under the hood will still want to access old location for stuff. How do I migrate "properly"?

Change drive letter? Cloned windows is on B: drive and old windows on C:. Will I ruin everything if I just swap drive letters?

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 14, 2017

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sekenr posted:

Probably a stupid question about moving windows to SSD while keeping old drive for storage. There are a lot of guides on how to clone it and its easy enough, but they basically end with OK, boot up and enjoy :downs: Except none take into account that cloned windows still thinks that my documents and god knows what are on the old C: drive on HDD. While I can edit desctop shortcut paths manually I'm pretty sure a whole bunch of crap under the hood will still want to access old location for stuff. How do I migrate "properly"?

Change drive letter? Cloned windows is on B: drive and old windows on C:. Will I ruin everything if I just swap drive letters?

A legit clone would make the cloned drive the C: in Windows and when you boot off the cloned drive the old drive will be the D:. As far as I am aware, A and B are both still reserved in Windows for floppy drives.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
You can assign disks to A: and B:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The drive you boot Windows from will always be called C:

If your SSD is really called B:, you're still booting from the old drive.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sekenr posted:

You can choose which drive to boot from in your UEFI/BIOS. Hit F2 or delete or whatever the key is to get into it on your machine and check that the boot order has the SSD first. Changing the drive letter inside of windows won't cause it to boot off of a different disk.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I hosed it all up and had to reinstall windows anyway, but thanks for the help!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

nm

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Flipperwaldt posted:

Nope.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

This surprises me.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yea, if you ever ran multiple parallel installations on different partitions, for whatever reason, you ended up with Windows installations all over the alphabet.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

The drive letter for the system volume is generally decided on installation, so it's fixed between boots, but it is possible to end up with an install where the system volume has a different letter. A friend of mine at one time (with Windows 2000) ended up with the system drive being S: or such.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Yeah, I've had a couple of older multi-boot machines where one of the Windows installs was on D:, I think it came from installing a new version of Windows while in the old, rather than booting from the install media.

A lot of lovely software defaults to installing on C: no matter where you boot from, so it's kind of a PITA if Windows isn't on C:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yeah, I've had a couple of older multi-boot machines where one of the Windows installs was on D:, I think it came from installing a new version of Windows while in the old, rather than booting from the install media.

A lot of lovely software defaults to installing on C: no matter where you boot from, so it's kind of a PITA if Windows isn't on C:

A lot of lovely software has "C:\Program Files" hardcoded and explode if such a folder does not exist.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm installing an EVO 850 250GB in my mom's computer so I can upgrade it from Vista to 10 and I can stop worrying about her pictures and music getting whammied by crypto poo poo. Thing is, it's a Dell Studio XPS 435MT, which was bought back in 2009, so in addition to the BIOS headaches I'm gonna have, it only has one 3.5 bay despite having four SATA ports on the mobo. I'd like to keep the old drive around the machine, since it's a replacement I bought clocking in at 640 GB and I'll have to worry less about said photos.

My current solution is to yank out the old drive, put the new one in an adapter I've placed an order for, and put the old drive in an old external caddy I have and just leave that permanently plugged into a USB port. My question is could I get away with canceling the adapter order, place the drive in the space below the optical drives and "secure" it with zip ties or gorilla tape? I mean, that may still be a bad idea since I can't quite recall if it has an extra power thing for the additional drive, but I'd still like to save $18 if I can.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

A lot of times you can buy a caddie to hold the SSD in place of a disc drive if you don’t plan on using it again. They use a normal SATA plugin and power, so you could remove it altogether.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I'm installing an EVO 850 250GB in my mom's computer so I can upgrade it from Vista to 10 and I can stop worrying about her pictures and music getting whammied by crypto poo poo. Thing is, it's a Dell Studio XPS 435MT, which was bought back in 2009, so in addition to the BIOS headaches I'm gonna have, it only has one 3.5 bay despite having four SATA ports on the mobo. I'd like to keep the old drive around the machine, since it's a replacement I bought clocking in at 640 GB and I'll have to worry less about said photos.

My current solution is to yank out the old drive, put the new one in an adapter I've placed an order for, and put the old drive in an old external caddy I have and just leave that permanently plugged into a USB port. My question is could I get away with canceling the adapter order, place the drive in the space below the optical drives and "secure" it with zip ties or gorilla tape? I mean, that may still be a bad idea since I can't quite recall if it has an extra power thing for the additional drive, but I'd still like to save $18 if I can.

Most dells have an extra sata power cable (open it up and take a look) so you'll just need a sata cable. SSDs don't need to be securely mounted if you're not moving the computer around much because they have no moving parts. I like to stick them to drive cages with 3d removable mounting squares, but tape or just leaving them dangling is usually fine. I'd leave the HD where it is.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rexxed posted:

Most dells have an extra sata power cable (open it up and take a look) so you'll just need a sata cable. SSDs don't need to be securely mounted if you're not moving the computer around much because they have no moving parts. I like to stick them to drive cages with 3d removable mounting squares, but tape or just leaving them dangling is usually fine. I'd leave the HD where it is.

Yeah, I bought a SATA cable when I bought the drive, that's no problem. Think I might just get the adapter, put it in that, and try to secure it all in the case with zip ties or tape anyway. That way if it doesn't work out, I can fall back on my original plan (I need to do this before the end of the year when Microsoft stops accepting Win7 keys for Win10).

EDIT: Of course, I apparently need to be mindful of this:

quote:

Installing a SSD in the 435MT is not straightforward. There are a few "Catch 22" issues in that regard. TRIM support is absolutely vital with a SSD. Without it the SSD will eventually become as slow or slower than a regular HDD. In order for TRIM to function, the SSD must use an AHCI driver. It also will enable NCQ, giving you all the speed your SSD is capable of over SATA 2.0, which is a max of 3 Gbits/second. A side benefit is that it makes your SATA and eSATA ports hot-plug capable, though not necessarily hot-swap capable. (The difference is hot-plug means you can add a drive but not remove it, while hot-swap means you can add or remove a drive with the system running.)

Unfortunately, the Intel X58 + ICH10 chipset on the XPS 435MT's mobo is not full featured. Dell limits the chipset's capabilities. While the onboard Intel SATA controllers can support AHCI, they run in IDE mode by default. The BIOS is also limited to say the least, more like crippled actually. In the BIOS, under Advanced Chipset Features > SATA Mode, there is only a choice between IDE or RAID with IDE being the default. However, by selecting RAID for the SATA Mode, AHCI is enabled on all four SATA ports as well as eSATA. Of course, if you enable RAID after your OS is installed, everything on your SSD or HDD will be lost and you will have to reinstall the OS again. So, enable RAID in the 435MT's BIOS before installing the OS on your new SSD.

So, if I did that willy-nilly, it'd wipe the HD despite me not wanting to boot from it anymore?

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 18, 2017

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

if you enable RAID after your OS is installed, everything on your SSD or HDD will be lost and you will have to reinstall the OS again.

So, if I did that willy-nilly, it'd wipe the HD despite me not wanting to boot from it anymore?
There's no good reason for that to happen if you're running a single drive (if you had drives in a stripe setup and went from RAID to IDE it could happen). Worst case on Windows 7 is that the OS doesn't load the right driver to finish booting, but that's not going to destroy data (how can it wipe the drive if it can't even read it?). All you need to do is change a registry key at the right time. For Windows 10 you don't even need to edit the registry.

I've done it dozens of times on corp machines that were deployed in IDE mode by mistake.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 18, 2017

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

It doesn't wipe the HD just from enabling RAID mode, not unless you actually make a raid array. It does tend to make older versions of windows stop booting.

Assuming you want to do a Vista->10 upgrade so that your mom has the most continuity with her old stuff, I'd do it this way:
1. mirror the Vista OS onto the SSD
2. upgrade to Win 10, have a USB stick with Win 10 installer available
3. change IDE->RAID
4. if no boot, try repair with USB stick

Lastly, I'd debate whether TRIM is totally necessary on a Mom-PC. "Absolutely vital" is an overstatement, SSDs are still functional without TRIM. The downsides of not having TRIM (slower writes, write amplification) are not as apparent under the typical Mom workload. Not having TRIM won't make the drive die, and the badness of missing TRIM is exactly proportional to how often files are being deleted. If getting the thing to enable TRIM turns into a nightmare of incompatible crap, I'd just shrug and move on if it was my mom's pc.

Also totally just stick it wherever with zipties or velcro.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I have a machine with an Intel SSD (can't remember model, probably from around 2011-2012) that hasn't been powered on for nearly 4 years. What's the chance any data are still readable? Assuming I don't need to recover any data, could the SSD be erased and usable further without degradation?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

nielsm posted:

I have a machine with an Intel SSD (can't remember model, probably from around 2011-2012) that hasn't been powered on for nearly 4 years. What's the chance any data are still readable? Assuming I don't need to recover any data, could the SSD be erased and usable further without degradation?

Won't know without information on the drive

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

nielsm posted:

What's the chance any data are still readable?
I believe for client SSDs of that vintage, Intel was claiming one year of powered off data retention. I'd say chances are low, but maybe you'll be surprised.

nielsm posted:

Assuming I don't need to recover any data, could the SSD be erased and usable further without degradation?
Should be able to.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Well, in 2010 through 2012, Intel only had fairly budget-grade nand mlc, so it's possible to sorta guess there may be some problems...

God drat it, beaten

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Missing TRIM on a mom workload isn't going to be remotely noticeable unless the controller is poo poo tier. She just wouldn't use the drive enough for it to be an issue unless it is paging alot and if there was slow down she likely won't notice it as it would happen over a long period of time.

Don't worry about TRIM if you can't get it to work.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Klyith posted:

Assuming you want to do a Vista->10 upgrade so that your mom has the most continuity with her old stuff, I'd do it this way:
1. mirror the Vista OS onto the SSD
2. upgrade to Win 10, have a USB stick with Win 10 installer available
3. change IDE->RAID
4. if no boot, try repair with USB stick
There is no direct upgrade path from Vista to Windows 10. You can go from Vista to 7 and from 7 to 10 if it's absolutely critical, but for a mom computer just doing a clean install shouldn't be so much of a hassle that it's worth going though that.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Volguus posted:

A lot of lovely software has "C:\Program Files" hardcoded and explode if such a folder does not exist.

The Windows XP installer had a nice little bug in that it would sometimes enumerate non-fixed storage devices first before getting to fixed disks. The result of which was that your main disk ended up being a letter other than C. This would happen even if the non-fixed devices where not readable by the installer. This commonly occurred with built in memory card readers.

The only way around this is to disable or unplug the additional storage devices until XP is installed.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

I just entered the SSD world via an emergency involuntary upgrade (9yo WD Velociraptor finally started clicking, immediately migrated over to an 850 evo).

All the "so now you own an SSD" guides I've found regarding which functions or services you should enable/disable to best optimize your ssd experience seem hilariously out of date.

I have the basics covered (partition 4k aligned, TRIM working, etc.) but should page files still be offloaded to spinning discs? Indexer & sys restore disabled?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nill posted:

but should page files still be offloaded to spinning discs? Indexer & sys restore disabled?
None of these should have ever been done, but there was a lot of FUD about flash endurance in the early days.

edit: Maybe you would have moved the page file (and other services that generate a lot of writes) off of an SSD in the pre-TRIM days to stave off write amplification, but that's about the only scenario I can imagine someone trying to justify that.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 19, 2017

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Windows is also smarter about it now so stuff like disabling automatic defrags happens automatically. I change literally nothing relating to disks for Windows 10.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nill posted:

I just entered the SSD world via an emergency involuntary upgrade (9yo WD Velociraptor finally started clicking, immediately migrated over to an 850 evo).

All the "so now you own an SSD" guides I've found regarding which functions or services you should enable/disable to best optimize your ssd experience seem hilariously out of date.

I have the basics covered (partition 4k aligned, TRIM working, etc.) but should page files still be offloaded to spinning discs? Indexer & sys restore disabled?

Nah gently caress that poo poo, solid state is mature tech that's been user-proofed

You've got trim working and your block size isn't some weird business that could harm performance. Make sure you're actually using a SATA III port and that AHCI is on. If crystal bench mark hits over 400MB/s, you've got it in the bag

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 19, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

Won't know without information on the drive

Pulled the drive out now. It's an Intel 320 series 160 GB, model SSDSA2CW160G3 2.5"

If I want to test the reliability, apart from the usual SMART reading, are there any practical tests I could run, like a full drive write or whatever?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SMART will tell you what you need. Do a performance test if you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Nill posted:

All of those tweaks are nonsense if you are on Win 7 or later.