Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Invenerable posted:

Curious. For people who have popped a ton of cores and gotten absolutely nothing from them, when did you do it, in terms of chapter starts/finishes?

I have a hackneyed theory that there's a softcap on your total number of rare blades that increases with each chapter. It feels like I'll get 1-3 rares fairly quickly if I do a few pulls at the start of a new chapter, then get nothing when I spend a mess of 'em midway through it.

I'd been hoping that this would be so, and when I get to Chapter 9 I'll start popping rare blades again. I was managed 2-to-3 per chapter in chapters 1-4 and then nothing after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I kinda have the same theory about blades being gated by progress. I've seen two people get vale at the same time as I did (as soon as you get the 5th). which by coincidence is the same island where vale can create fabrics.

also she appears in another rare blade sidequest (kora's). I wonder how they were expecting us to have vale before we had Kora.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 18, 2017

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

nerdz posted:

Also I'm starting to get mad at tora's AI. He basically never switches out of his Ice blade once he get's it. I might switch to morag for more reliable earth orb setting.

We're still technically in a spoiler thread.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

nerdz posted:

I kinda have the same theory about blades being gated by progress. I've seen two people get vale at the same time as I did (as soon as you get the 5th). which by coincidence is the same island where vale can create fabrics.

also she appears in another rare blade sidequest (kora's). I wonder how they were expecting us to have vale before we had Kora.

I never got Vale but I got Kora as like my first rare blade.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

I never got Vale but I got Kora as like my first rare blade.

Theory destroyed. Maybe Vale only appears if she's in your party. Or maybe it's actually impossible to finish the quest without Vale, since you need a SHITLOAD of girls talk, possibly all blades with girls talk in the game. Luckily I had them, and her sidequest is hilarious.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

nerdz posted:

Yeah, which is the only way to see them until you trigger the chain attack. It's really awful when you think you activated one but forgot to do it and now will most definitely fail to kill the monster and die instantly once the chain attack is over.

They really should have reserved a space in the UI to put them.

Also I'm starting to get mad at tora's AI. He basically never switches out of his Ice blade once he get's it. I might switch to morag for more reliable earth orb setting.

No. I mean when you are selecting a booster while opening a core crystal you can see what elements will be boosted orbiting around the core crystal on screen.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you refuse to make it so the only blades you get in the game are rare/have them come from story or sidequests, why in the hot gently caress isnt there a “open a batch of these worthless crystals at once”

This provess is crazy tedious.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I got my first rare blade and it's a Godfrey and he's on Nia and this all seems awful

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I got my first rare blade and it's a Godfrey and he's on Nia and this all seems awful

Its bad, RNG just dealt you a bad one. Dont try and correct it by overdriving it off her. You only get five of those and once you get far enough into the story (like 20-30 hours from now, lmao) Rex will be able to use Blades regardless of who theyre bound to.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PJOmega posted:

We're still technically in a spoiler thread.

Neither points are things that wouldn't be in the game's manual if it had one.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
They could at least have let me toggle core crystal openings for "no TNK/ATK/HLR" or something.

I've got two rare tanks on Rex, 2 rare attack and 1 rare tank on Nia, and 2 rare attacks on Driver #3.

Or lemme get one free move on rare blades.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Eh, while I agree it's still a plot thing. Tbf, as soon as mysterious boob dress Pokemon and her corresponding dual wielding cool-under-pressure commander driver were introduced anyone would've pegged them as future party members.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

If they have a regular human-sounding name like that they are a unique enemy, which are far stronger.

I know that, I'm trying to fight unique enemies but I still expect to not suck against them

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Other things that would be in the manual:

That's 20 hours of tutorials on one page.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PJOmega posted:

Eh, while I agree it's still a plot thing. Tbf, as soon as mysterious boob dress Pokemon and her corresponding dual wielding cool-under-pressure commander driver were introduced anyone would've pegged them as future party members.

It's really not hard to know who the party members are, they're the only people with unique Blades that aren't trying to actively murder you.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Microcline posted:

Other things that would be in the manual:

That's 20 hours of tutorials on one page.

look at this poor bastard who has to use dagas before he's good

speaking of, I think I'm in the home stretch for his sidequest and then I'll probably stick him on zeke and never use him except in chapter 7

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
When do legendary cores start showing up?

IcePhoenix posted:

Replayability chat: I could definitely see myself replaying this game and setting silly conditions on myself like "only common blades" or whatever

Didn't the news about the forthcoming update say it'd have a New Game+ that includes getting to use 'those blades' or something to that effect? A New Game+ where you get to use the Torna blades on various party members. would be great. Especially since Jin is overpowered as hell and can break->topple->launch->smash all on his own, as seen when he's with Rex in chapter 8.

nerdz posted:

battle skills: orb master is insanely good. it let's you set elemental orbs for the chain combo at any level of the blade combo. and if you start the combo with this blade the effect will be valid for anyone in the blade combo. you can literally set 6 element orbs in 2 quick blade combos and kill almost everything in the game in one minute, or go all the way to set 8 orbs and kill everything in the game (nothing in the game survives an 8 orb chain attack)

This is also insanely rare. Like, rarer than rare blades (at first anyways). I still haven't pulled a blade with it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

You can get a legendary core from the area at the end of chapter 3 if you go back to it. I think I found another one at some point but I forget where.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

PJOmega posted:

They could at least have let me toggle core crystal openings for "no TNK/ATK/HLR" or something.

I've got two rare tanks on Rex, 2 rare attack and 1 rare tank on Nia, and 2 rare attacks on Driver #3.

Or lemme get one free move on rare blades.

It’s fine to mix Blades around, having a TNK on Rex will probably lower overall damage but it will give you other stats in return.

The game isn’t super hard, you can have a hosed up party and win no problem

mabels big day posted:

I know that, I'm trying to fight unique enemies but I still expect to not suck against them

If you’re fighting unique monsters at their level you’ll have trouble because they are generally super strong, you’ll probably have to optimize your current party or just outlevel them.

A lot of them seem to start reflecting damage if you take too long as well, so don’t expect a battle of attrition to work out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you expect a Legendary Core to have better odds of rolling Rare Blades, prepare to be disappointed.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

PJOmega posted:

Don't pull blades for Rex.

You'll understand.

This is poo poo advice, people want to put blades on Rex because they want to use different weapons don't want to Pyra 24/7, yes Rex gets the ability to equip any blade but that's 70-80 hours into the game and at the end so for 90% of the game it is irrelevant min/maxing your crystals because it matters less in the last 10% is boring.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
As much as I want to play this game now I get such a strong feeling that all these RNG shenanigans are going to get patched out and I don't have the lifestyle to play a JRPG for 80 hours like I used to.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

pentyne posted:

As much as I want to play this game now I get such a strong feeling that all these RNG shenanigans are going to get patched out and I don't have the lifestyle to play a JRPG for 80 hours like I used to.

The game's entire loot system is heavily based on rewarding you with cores to try more gacha I doubt it will be fixed/removed.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I just got the skill for canceling arts into other arts and man it is such a massive game changer. I mean I knew it would be, but it's beyond even what I expected. Your ability to do chain combos goes through the roof.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you expect a Legendary Core to have better odds of rolling Rare Blades, prepare to be disappointed.

They do, but as you get more rare blades, the chances of each type of core getting a new rare drops quickly.

Furthermore, it's likely that the four attributes play a role.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Barudak posted:

Its bad, RNG just dealt you a bad one. Dont try and correct it by overdriving it off her. You only get five of those and once you get far enough into the story (like 20-30 hours from now, lmao) Rex will be able to use Blades regardless of who theyre bound to.

you get 5, but later in the game they're not so bad. Certain level 100 enemies drop them and also you get one for each non-blade party member who fills their affinity tree

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ntan1 posted:

They do, but as you get more rare blades, the chances of each type of core getting a new rare drops quickly.

Furthermore, it's likely that the four attributes play a role.

I have gotten zero Rares out of six Levendary Crystals throughout my playthrough.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
For "salvaging King" do I need a premium cylinder to get a hammershead, also what weather and is there a specific salvage point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tipme posted:

For "salvaging King" do I need a premium cylinder to get a hammershead, also what weather and is there a specific salvage point.

Yes, Thunderstorm, the point right near the Skip Travel point at the peninsula you first arrived at.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just really hate the gatcha mechanic and it is a blatant capitalistic cash grab in games where it's meant to go alongside IAP. In this game, where it has no IAP, it's there for literally no good reason other than to pad the game time and frustrate players.

This game has a 70~100 hour playtime, but it doesn't have the content density to back it up. It's more like 30 hours of game padded and stretched out to seem big.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

It's all that, but it's made even worse that there is content in sidequests and heart to hearts essentially locked behind an RNG gate.

It's a whole lot of things that would have been bearable on their own, rolled into one big messy issue that feels poorly thought through.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

After thinking about it a lot, while the gacha stuff blows rear end the element that usually has microtransactions that I think is worse are the merc missions.

The grind to raise merc levels is miserable (do you ever get to deploy more than 2 teams? I'm at the point where I only get more blade slots for leveling up and that's loving useless) and it's just a timesink since it's literally impossible to fail a mission.

The merc mission timer doesn't go down on sleep mode even though I've gotten several instances of the bug where gametime goes up while sleeping. How does that even work.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
You cap out at 3 merc teams at level 4.

But yeah, Merc poo poo is intolerable. Especially since you can't like save teams or sort blades by secondary skills. It makes Ursula's poo poo the worst goddamn thing since you have to keep picking a loving team every 7 minutes and oh my god :shepicide:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I would say that they assumed people would be playing the game in portable mode all the time, but the fact that the merc missions don't count down in off-time fucks that theory. This game is explicitly designed to take as much of your time as possible to pad out its playtime.

Waiting around and doing the same small thing over and over isn't fun. If I buy a game, I want to have fun. This is not fun.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zore posted:

You cap out at 3 merc teams at level 4.

But yeah, Merc poo poo is intolerable. Especially since you can't like save teams or sort blades by secondary skills. It makes Ursula's poo poo the worst goddamn thing since you have to keep picking a loving team every 7 minutes and oh my god :shepicide:

Good to know I'm uh, about 20 hours away from being able to deploy more people.

Agreed on Ursula, that's the worst and makes me wonder why you can't skip the level ups after a mission. I don't care about the skills on my one star blades! I'd feel a lot better if I didn't have to go through all those slow menus for every mission.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh god dammit, I just worked out why they're called Theory and Praxis. Practice.

:cripes:

You just know some fucker at Nintendo EU's feeling clever with themselves for that one.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh god dammit, I just worked out why they're called Theory and Praxis. Practice.

:cripes:

You just know some fucker at Nintendo EU's feeling clever with themselves for that one.

This has been a thing since Aristotle. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Praxis_(process)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Huh, somehow just never heard the word in the practical definition.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Do they make cheat engines/Gamesharks for Switch yet? I kinda want to just cheat all the rare blades in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
This has probably already been asked so sorry if it was; final verdict, for someone bought a Wii to play Xenoblade Chronicles (which was total worth it) and then bought a WiiU for the sequel (which was much less worth it) - is this game worth buying the Switch for? The first one was one of the best games I’d played in a long time, is this game similar enough to recapture that?