Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Latest Update: Episode 21 - Have A Nice Day :) (12/08)

The Surge is developer Deck 13's sophomore entry into the Sorta Like Dark Souls genre of action RPG. It is a sci-fi adventure thriller set in a dystopian world where a whole bunch of apocalyptic scenarios happened at once, leaving the planet wracked with a ruined climate and dwindling population. Luckily, Silicon Valley Hellcompany CREO stepped up to save the day and restore the planet's atmosphere with their revolutionary Project Resolve.

CREO makes all kinds of devices for your home and family, most notably their EXO-RIG (pictured prominently above), a metal suit grafted into your very bones and muscles that enhances your body beyond its natural limits. You play as Warren, a man having the worst first day of work anyone has ever had ever, as you wake up after your The Surgery with your new exo-suit and a broken down CREO facility to explore. There are robots to fight, insane exo-suit workers to do bloody battle with, souls-I-mean-tech-scrap to collect, and a hell of a lot of ways to supplement your playstyle to your own specifications. With a workplace so versatile and exciting as CREO, why would you ever want to leave?

This game is incredible! Deck 13's first entry into the action RPG genre was a game known as Lords of the Fallen, a much, much more straightforward clone of the Souls games it takes inspiration from. It wasn't great, the kind of thing where you had to make your own fun because the game itself was a bit bland. It was noteworthy for being that game where you can shield bash and only shield bash your way to victory.

The Surge brings new life and new interesting mechanics however in the form of enemy executions, individual limb targeting, and implant chips that let you build your Warren however you please at any time. Cutting off enemy limbs will build up your stock of weapons, body parts, and upgrade materials so that you can pick and choose how you want to improve and what you want to wield to beat the crap out of your enemies. But if me describing the intricate, in-depth and well thought out gameplay systems is boring to you, I'll let the game speak for itself:

Please don't. This game's got a really fascinating (if a bit hard to decipher) world and history and I'm going to be talking at length about why I really enjoy it and think it's an above average story, even if the storytelling methodology needs a bit of work. That means you'll probably be discovering it along the way, so don't spoil anything important until we get to it in the videos! I promise, there's a lot to unpack, but when you do you'll find there's a really unique story hidden underneath the obfuscation.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I have a feeling they don't need to see a resume.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Ground floor motherfuckers aw yeah, I was not expecting you to do this before you finished Bloodborne and now I'm HYPE AS gently caress. :yayclod:

PS: there is a typo in your OP, it says "I think it's above average story."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh, did you figure out a work around for those audio bugs you referenced in a stream earlier?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Whoops!! Thanks, I have fixed it. There's always somethin'!!

marshmallow creep posted:

Oh, did you figure out a work around for those audio bugs you referenced in a stream earlier?

Yes! I put the game on my C:/ drive (which is an SSD) and haven't had the problem since. I guess the read/write speed of my usual hard drive was just too slow to keep up while recording.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I would love to see the voice credits for this game, you talked to the security guy at the beginning of the game and I'm 90% sure he is the same voice actor as Gutenberg but with a filter.

I also think Warren's voice actor does a specific audio log in the DLC that is not Warren.

Edit: ALSO

CJacobs, you should've issued a graphic content warning for the first episode. You loving know why. :colbert:

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Getting in on the ground floor, been looking forward to this since all your streams.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
i dunno, this seems pretty in line with most of my experiences in the actual workforce.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lightning Knight posted:

Edit: ALSO

CJacobs, you should've issued a graphic content warning for the first episode. You loving know why. :colbert:

Hey, come on now, Don Hackett's hand gestures aren't that grotesque

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

More so than most post-apocalypse protagonists, Warren just seems so insanely good at eviscerating and dismembering. I wonder if perhaps part of it is because he spent so long paralyzed, dreaming about getting his full functionality back, that two things have happened: One, he has let go of preconceived notions of what he should be doing with his body, so he throws himself into things that a more accustomed person would balk at doing; and two, he has a passive aggressive need to show anyone who gets in his way what's its like to lose (control of your) body parts.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
CheeseJacobs is good at making the LPs, and this game looks like it's pretty good

:getin:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This game was a really pleasant surprise.

Also, during the slowdowns on kills, if they zoom in on Warren's face the dude is screaming in rage the whole time. Warren is a very angry man. :black101:

zA Zombie
Dec 31, 2011
Really enjoyed your speedruns of the game, so I'm pretty excited for this LP. Said videos also convinced me to buy the game for myself.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Hell yes, ground floor to awesome. I really wanted to play this myself and never got to it.

Izzus
Mar 14, 2014

Oh sweet Bloodborne and The Surge at the same time? You absolute madman

I liked this game when it came out, and I agree the methodology for telling the story kinda put me off. It could have taken some cues from other games that tell these kinds of stories in a better way, like Salt and Sanctuary or the Souls series.

marshmallow creep posted:

More so than most post-apocalypse protagonists, Warren just seems so insanely good at eviscerating and dismembering. I wonder if perhaps part of it is because he spent so long paralyzed, dreaming about getting his full functionality back, that two things have happened: One, he has let go of preconceived notions of what he should be doing with his body, so he throws himself into things that a more accustomed person would balk at doing; and two, he has a passive aggressive need to show anyone who gets in his way what's its like to lose (control of your) body parts.

The answer may just be the one, true horror that every fan of anything dreads:
It's just a game and the devs didn't think that far
Your theories sound much more exciting to be honest though.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Is it ever explained why they just bolt the exosuit over clothing? What if Warren has to poo poo?

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
he holds it in like a real man.

something i noticed that i haven't really thought of in your other playthroughs; warren's voice is the voice of a guy in his late 20s, early 30s. but like his face in that opening cutscene where he gets a bunch of metal plates screwed into his loving bones looks like he's in his mid 40s.

Izzus
Mar 14, 2014

The other employees are in the same situation as Warren with the rig over their clothes, it's never addressed directly afaik. And your clothes change at certain points throughout the game. What I'm thinking is either the horrific realization I posted earlier might be in play, or you're left to infer that the medbays can take the rigs off.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Oh good, now I don't feel the need to do a let's play of this game. Looking forward to an excellent playthrough as always.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Is it ever explained why they just bolt the exosuit over clothing? What if Warren has to poo poo?

Somehow, no, I don't think they ever address it in any way. You do meet some people who are wearing less clothes under their suit (or at least, clothes that would make it possible to poop) but almost everyone is wearing a CREO jumpsuit like you are. It'd be nice if there was at least a handwaving explanation for why that is, but they don't ever attempt to justify it and it's a shame!

Izzus posted:

The other employees are in the same situation as Warren with the rig over their clothes, it's never addressed directly afaik. And your clothes change at certain points throughout the game. What I'm thinking is either the horrific realization I posted earlier might be in play, or you're left to infer that the medbays can take the rigs off.

Yeah, minor gameplay spoiler but later on we can upgrade our base exo-rig itself and Warren's jumpsuit changes color to match... so there must be some way to take it off, maybe via the process being reversed at a med-bay, but man that would have to suck if you had the squirts.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Maybe the exorig replaces your stomach, so you don't have to poop? Unless Warren eats like a mofo.

Edit: I dig the quasi-monster hunter limb removal stuff as well.

Cassa fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 18, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
By the way, here's something for you all to munch on for a little while: We don't know very much about the titular Surge right now, but based on everyone being insane and the facility in disrepair it obviously has already come and gone by the time Warren wakes up at the junkyard. But something for you folks to consider until we find out more about it is, did Warren arrive at CREO on the train before the Surge, or after?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

The few people we meet look to be sane during the train ride so I think The Surge happened either during Warren's surgery (which is why the anesthesia wasn't properly administered) or right after the surgery.

edit:

I think there's an audio log of another poor shmuck who also wasn't put under during their surgery so I'm leaning towards the latter

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 18, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So having actually watched the video now:

While I agree that having six different equipment slots can seem like a bit much, I do like how they correspond sensibly to what you'd expect actual augments to those limbs to do. Fist bits make it easier/harder to swing, leg bits make you more/less agile, and so on.

I've been meaning to do a no leveling playthrough of this game. If I can find the time I might do one along with this LP since I haven't played the game in around half a year.

I really like the Surge's setting. It's rare to have a fantasy setting, especially a sci-fi one, take place in our world but still be fairly conservative. Like, outside of the more crazy technology like the exo-suits, it doesn't feel too far removed from our world, especially with how it broaches topics like climate change.

I'll have words about the game's signposting, or lack thereof, when you get to one of the later levels. Even having played through the game twice I still don't have a good mental map of that area.

Since you're playing on PC, do you plan on modifying the medbay music? And will you take requests?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

By the way, here's something for you all to munch on for a little while: We don't know very much about the titular Surge right now, but based on everyone being insane and the facility in disrepair it obviously has already come and gone by the time Warren wakes up at the junkyard. But something for you folks to consider until we find out more about it is, did Warren arrive at CREO on the train before the Surge, or after?

Having never seen anything of this game before my current thought is the Surge started right as Warren was supposed to get his anaesthetic because why not add that additional horror on top of robo-organic zombies.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Genocyber posted:

Since you're playing on PC, do you plan on modifying the medbay music? And will you take requests?

Yes, about halfway through the game I flip the switch on it since it does grate on some people after a while, but I've already got my own music picked out (and edited!) that I think fits pretty well.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

CJacobs posted:

Yes, about halfway through the game I flip the switch on it since it does grate on some people after a while, but I've already got my own music picked out (and edited!) that I think fits pretty well.

Is it eurobeat? It's eurobeat isn't it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Huh. I always took it that he happened to be in surgery for his suit implants at exactly the time the surge happened. Though if he got there after...that adds a potential wrinkle to, perhaps, why his surgery turned out the way it did, and why he's not (as much?) a lunatic like nearly everyone else.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Azure Dreamer posted:

something i noticed that i haven't really thought of in your other playthroughs; warren's voice is the voice of a guy in his late 20s, early 30s. but like his face in that opening cutscene where he gets a bunch of metal plates screwed into his loving bones looks like he's in his mid 40s.

There is quite likely an implied in-story explanation for this, though we can bring it up later on when they start to explain what Resolve is.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
I see you consistenly refused to get the chainsword. Any reason?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nuramor posted:

I see you consistenly refused to get the chainsword. Any reason?

Just manually deciding when I get each weapon type for the first time, so I can give each some time alone before mixing it up.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
gently caress yeah, The Surge. Count me in as someone else who got hooked on the game thanks to CJacobs's streams. Spmething about the sci-fi aesthetic really gets me, far more so than Dark Souls' dark fantasy feel.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

This seems like a super-cool game with great combat. Looking forward to your LP, dogg.

One question: When you roll down the ramp in the beginning (before you put on your Black Carapace), if you stop moving, does Warren keep rolling down?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

This seems like a super-cool game with great combat. Looking forward to your LP, dogg.

One question: When you roll down the ramp in the beginning (before you put on your Black Carapace), if you stop moving, does Warren keep rolling down?

Hell yeah he does!! He even picks up some speed that's faster than his normal rolling, it's a speedrun tactic!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Doesn't Warren go backwards faster than he does forwards too? I seem to recall you saying that in one of your streams.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hell yeah he does!!! But that's more of an animation/movement convenience than something by design. I'd link my speedrun but I spoil the game like right at the beginning so we'll save that for later.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
As someone who has spent a significant amount of time in a wheelchair over the last two years, you can be surprisingly mobile in those fuckers once you get good

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Super glad to see you doing this. I loved this game (and am part of the secretive Lords-wasn't-that-bad-either cult) and it deserves a proper showing and exposure.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

This isn't really Souls combat. Yes, there is stamina management and heavy and light attacks (and I assume two handing maybe?), but being able to take your enemy's weapon by literally hitting it out of his hand? Or being able to target individual body parts? That gives a really different feel. It's also different because it's not set in a high fantasy world again.

I'm hell of looking forward to the Vanquish-style slides you showed off in the OP, CJakes.

Who would win in a wheelchair race, BJ from the opening of The New Colossus or Warren in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

BJ by a mile, he's able to shoot while wheeling around on one hand. That's hard.