Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

hobbesmaster posted:

Why are you blaming the AMA for residency slot limits? Those are funded mainly by the federal government.

Interesting, thanks for pointing that out—turns out AMA is actually opposed to the cap, but the cap is largely an effect of how they’re funded under the 1997 & 1999 “Balanced Budget” Acts. Of course, outside funding can (and has) increased the cap, but it’d be better if the funding was centralized and purely based on need. (And “need” didn’t include bullshit like assuming 100+ hour weeks are reasonable.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Why are you guys speaking as if using taxis to get to the ER is a new thing?

Yeah, I'm a 911 operator (well 112 since it's in Europe) and depending on.the situation we might send a taxi to get you. In other cases we'll send an ambulance AND a doctor. One size does not fit all.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here comes the 10 page medical derail, oh boy!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Kobayashi posted:

Here comes the 10 page medical derail, oh dude!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Effect of private versus emergency medical systems transportation in trauma patients in a mostly physician based system- a retrospective multicenter study based on the TraumaRegister DGU®

quote:

Private transport (PT) accelerates the median pre-hospital times, but prolongs time to diagnostic measures and time in the trauma room.

PT seemed to lead to a small benefit in terms of mortality, which may reflect pre-hospital times, pre-hospital interventions or other confounders.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Y'all see the one where Sam Altman posits that "we have to allow people to say disparaging things about gay people if we want them to be able to say novel things about physics," and that China affords Damore-channeling shitheads like this more Free Speech than Silicon Valley?

http://blog.samaltman.com/e-pur-si-muove

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kobayashi posted:

Y'all see the one where Sam Altman posits that "we have to allow people to say disparaging things about gay people if we want them to be able to say novel things about physics," and that China affords Damore-channeling shitheads like this more Free Speech than Silicon Valley?

Not disparaging things about Chinese policy or its leaders, though. :shrug:

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Not disparaging things about Chinese policy or its leaders, though. :shrug:

I have loved everyone dunking on him since then. He is my favorite tech bro to see mocked.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Trevor Hale posted:

I have loved everyone dunking on him since then. He is my favorite tech bro to see mocked.

It's like taking PC candy from a brobaby.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kobayashi posted:

I can't parse this.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

I can't parse this.

Can’t do physics if you can’t say gays don’t deserve to live, brah

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kobayashi posted:

Here comes the 10 page medical derail, oh boy!

Much better than the typical car-related one. Although of loving course cars (and uber) are involved

k stone
Aug 30, 2009

eschaton posted:

But if we’re going to have more walk-in clinics open 24/7 that will require more doctors! That would require more residency slots, and then the AMA wouldn’t be able to limit residency slots to haze residents with 120-hour work weeks and also keep out foreign doctors who need to do a US residency to gain licensure and also keep the doctor supply limited to ensure high pay!

The AMA doesn't really have any control over residency spots; they're actually tied to Medicare funding. They did recommend increasing the number of medical school spots, so now there's a backlog students who paid several hundred thousand dollars for an education but can't get placed in a residency program.

EDIT: sorry, posted without seeing the rest of the thread

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Celebrity hologram startup 8i to lay off half its staff

“Although we’ve made significant progress, we are continuously challenging our assumptions about where the AR/VR market is headed and how it will develop. And like any early stage company we need to be honest with ourselves and our employees about what kind of company we should build and how fast we need to grow,” 8i told TechCrunch in a statement. “Consequently, we are consulting internally on a proposal for changes to our organization that would align our teams and resources with important core technology initiatives that create the most long term value.”

:thunk:

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's like taking PC candy from a brobaby.

https://twitter.com/tomdale/status/941891468108558336

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ah, ol'e Sam "Two-ShedsPolos" Altman.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

uhhh the double polo thing has been out of fashion for over a decade lmao.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I expected nothing less from Uber.

Uber used former CIA officers posing as businessmen to collect trade secrets and other intel, explosive letter claims

quote:

One claim in the letter is that an Uber LAT operative had found a "new technical capability" in a redacted foreign country that allowed it to collect mobile-phone metadata, including call logs with the time and date of various communications, likely phone calls and texts.

"The subsequent link-analysis of this metadata occurred on U.S. soil and revealed previously unknown, non-public relationships between Uber opposition figures, politicians, and regulators with unfavorable views on Uber and the ride-sharing industry," according to the letter, which claims the LATs conducted "foreign espionage" against a sovereign nation.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

That is an old photo; possibly more than a decade old.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

That'll be awkward if the identity of that country comes out.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

If you're changing the world then you really gotta change the world, governmentailures :smug:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That'll be awkward if the identity of that country comes out.

Please don't be Israel, please don't be Israel, please don't be Israel... :pray:

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

You could write a business law textbook and rely entirely on uber for examples and case studies.
:cripes:

Behold Uber, the amazing liability corporation! Every act an ethics violation, every move breaking a law!

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Don’t do what Donny Don’t does

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I seriously hope Uber gets dismantled by the government and their executives tried for treason at this point.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

super sweet best pal posted:

I seriously hope Uber gets dismantled by the government and their executives tried for treason at this point.

I'd rather they be charged with crimes they likely committed. That should be more than enough.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pharohman777 posted:

You could write a business law textbook and rely entirely on uber for examples and case studies.
:cripes:

Behold Uber, the amazing liability corporation! Every act an ethics violation, every move breaking a law!

O hope the Dollop does an Uber part 2 to get all the poo poo they've missed from like June

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

https://twitter.com/justinwolfers/status/942767342064422912

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

From a StockTwits "daily rip" email:

The story of Longfin

quote:

Some of you might think of the DotCom Bubble when you hear this.

A company called Longfin, which is a fintech company, IPO'd last week at about $6/share. It did not create much buzz at all. It trades under the ticker $LFIN. But a few days ago, they bought a "Blockchain" company called Ziddu. What did the market think of that? At one point, $LFIN traded as high as $142 per share (here's the chart)!

At $142 per share, Longfin's market cap was roughly $2 billion. During the first 6 months of 2017, Longfin had net income of $2 million.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Once again proves that "think of the dumbest thing possible but actually create it" is still the best business strategy in 2017 (and probably 2018).

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
I could go looking for what Longfin actually does but I'd rather just assume it has something to do with fish.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Polygynous posted:

I could go looking for what Longfin actually does but I'd rather just assume it has something to do with fish.

Longfin - Fishing for a Bigger SuckerTM

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can see a bussiness layer version of the Koboyashi maru used to test lawyers: the Koboyashi Uber.

How well can a lawyer do in defending against the torrent of lawsuits and legal liabilities that Uber has before Uber goes bankrupt?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Trick question, Uber can never go bankrupt.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
So 2018 is when this house of cards collapses and takes the US economy down with it as billions in VC is wiped out overnight, right?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Pharohman777 posted:

I can see a bussiness layer version of the Koboyashi maru used to test lawyers: the Koboyashi Uber.

How well can a lawyer do in defending against the torrent of lawsuits and legal liabilities that Uber has before Uber goes bankrupt?

So long as you keep getting paid, you win, right?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Rime posted:

So 2018 is when this house of cards collapses and takes the US economy down with it as billions in VC is wiped out overnight, right?

Yes and WWIII will actually start due to an unsecured MySQL DB on some AWS instance.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Arglebargle III posted:

Trick question, Uber can never go bankrupt.

That's what happens when you hack the simulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Yes and WWIII will actually start due to an unsecured MySQL DB on some AWS instance.

MySQL? What is this the 2000s? Surely you mean something involving NoSQL.