Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Oxyclean posted:

Does anyone else have issues with this game being awful at loading things? I've noticed I'll just have oddly long loading times, or I'll get stuck on loading boundaries in the middle of levels and sometimes inventory is just super slow to load or loot will be the spinning icon until it disappears. I think it might be related to bandwidth thing since I usually notice it when I'm trying to watch something on youtube, but I have pretty fast internet and haven't ran into this problem on any other game. Is there anything I can adjust to make this better?

Long ship loading screens seem pretty universal now, especially going to the tower for some reason (the only area where it really doesn't matter that there are tons of players in the instance).

That inventory loading sounds like a different problem. If you have fast internet you might want to try deleting the game and reinstalling it because maybe something got corrupted during a patch. Also try switching DNS servers on your router to OpenDNS or Google DNS - that tends to fix Youtube-related congestion issues by forcing YouTube traffic to use a different routing than it currently is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
does anyone know how much damage a +impact aggressive sniper does in crucible?

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
I'm assuming if it were enough to one tap body shot, the world would know.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

poemdexter posted:

Trials works the same way.

Best post in this thread

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

poemdexter posted:

Trials works the same way.

:perfect:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

Goddamnit if this means you got a five win ticket right after i went to work im gonna be super pleased and also very sad i wasnt in on it.

Helped people get a 7 win ticket right after (would have been flawless had I not disconnected). I did get a 7 win ticket after that though. Saturday afternoon and evening is officially potato night I found out.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
We finally got a goon vs. goon game!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

poemdexter posted:

We finally got a goon vs. goon game!

D2 population confirmed to be..... 8

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

The more I play around with armor/stat sets that aren't just all restoration the more I wonder how much legendary mods on armor are worth it.

Are public events the most efficient way to gain glimmer? I'm constantly scraping 5k together just to get a mod installed.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

D2 population confirmed to be..... 8

yesterday i randomly got placed on a team with three other goons, it was cool

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Republicans posted:

Are public events the most efficient way to gain glimmer? I'm constantly scraping 5k together just to get a mod installed.

Think so. Don't forget any world chests you haven't picked up yet - 1k glimmer a pop.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I need to get in on these goon Trials groups. LFG has been... pretty bad.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I still haven't done any trials because I'm generally pretty happy with my welfare engrams. I got the new scout rifle today that's essentially a MIDA with explosive rounds. Still haven't found a better sniper rifle than The Long Walk, either.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Republicans posted:

The more I play around with armor/stat sets that aren't just all restoration the more I wonder how much legendary mods on armor are worth it.

I think legendary mods on armor are mostly useful for upping one's PL when leveling, but I haven't seen any math on that.

Doing things on Mercury seems to give quite a bit more glimmery than doing similar activities on Nessus, for instance. Any time you see the Vex hoops that bounce you around the map light up, start running through them and killing what you find at each stop. Pretty soon you start getting yellow bar Minotaurs that are pretty easy to kill and drop chests that give around 500 glimmer + token + chance of legendary stuff. It's pretty easy to switch between doing that and public events as they happen, so it seems like a good way to grind glimmer. I've been able to get 10-20k glimmer an hour pretty readily.

NB: Last night in Crucible Competitive I kept getting matched with four players with names in Chinese characters who would play a single round, then just start suiciding the whole rest of the match. The thing was, they were all using the Crucible gift token, so they were giving us wins and 20 tokens per match. It owned more than a little. I guess if you really want to convert shards to tokens as fast as possible, that's one way to do it (and the enemy team isn't going to complain).

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 18, 2017

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Eej posted:

Yes, yes you should.

7 win crew represent.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Eej posted:

And if I'm not firing a 150 rpm HC as fast as I can in a fight why aren't I just using a 140 rpm like the Minuet or Annual Skate?

I have this problem with Sunshot. Datto et al. are definitely correct in calling it a top-tier handcannon for PvP as well as PvE but the way the entire model bounces up after every shot and blocks the sight picture makes it quite difficult for me to actually land all precision shots at a 150 rpm cadence.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eej posted:

Sounds like you need to vet your groups better, these are 100% lfg tickets

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not to say goon groups are bad, they're generally more fun to play with, but it's silly to think you can't have success with LFG.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

the good fax machine posted:

Not to say goon groups are bad, they're generally more fun to play with, but it's silly to think you can't have success with LFG.

I tanked my k/d playing like 50+ games with friends so it's very difficult to get into the good groups.

e: but i'm stubborn and i'm gonna keep trying

Eej fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 18, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

the good fax machine posted:

Eej posted:

I tanked my k/d playing like 50+ games with friends so it's very difficult to get into the good groups.

e: but i'm stubborn and i'm gonna keep trying
It was nothing short of a miracle that I managed to get 6 friends to beat the Leviathan raid with me and it burnt the crew out so hard, I'm one of three who still plays. Two of the others quit after 5 Trials matches in which we were soundly beaten. You can get success but it's much more likely you'll find it with an LFG/Goon crew with a good leader and good followers than trying to train your friends. That's my experience, anyway.

That said I'd like to get my 7-game flawless out of the way someday so... when do you play Tarth?

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
After 289 gunsmith packages, across two platforms, I finally got the Halfdan-D

It's everything I ever dreamed it would be. It goes THUNK THUNK THUNK THUNK and feels like shooting angry little Olympic boxers :allears:

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I guess at some point I should stop dismantling everything that isn't a Scathelocke, Sunshot, or Rocket Launcher.

Why do you guys like origin story and whatever that other gun is so much? What do they offer over what scathelocke and/or Sunshot do? I know the energy weapon has a larger clip but those explosion kills and handcannon crits are so good

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Origin Story is an easy-to-control, hard-hitting 450RPM auto rifle with rampage perk. I don't know what you're referring to by 'that other gun', maybe Uriel's Gift? That has high calibur rounds which is godlike in crucible, plus it's a gun that's also a hard-hitting, easy-to-control 450PRM archetype.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I use origin story because it goes chunka chunka while scathelocke goes budda budda. Also while I love love love the EDZ it feels kinda white trash to romp around the end game in the scavenged equipment of humans that squat outside the city.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Stick a Calus' Selected shader on it and pow, Prince of Rifles.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Origin Story is an easy-to-control, hard-hitting 450RPM auto rifle with rampage perk. I don't know what you're referring to by 'that other gun', maybe Uriel's Gift? That has high calibur rounds which is godlike in crucible, plus it's a gun that's also a hard-hitting, easy-to-control 450PRM archetype.

Positive Outlook, the new Vanguard Auto, has the same archtype as Uriel/Origin as well, with Kill Clip making it a good choice for PvE as well.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Yeah, that. Positive Outlook. I'll keep an eye out for those two and see how they feel.

Are there better options than Rocket Launchers? I used snipers for a bit and liked those just fine. Grenades never feel good but I may be using them improperly... Or they're just bad. I almost never see someone running around with a sword.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

there's an exotic fusion rifle called merciless that is bonkers for pve stuff, which precludes you using that fancy sunshot unfortunately. swords get a bunch more play in pvp where they're a one hit kill on any shlub who gets within spitting distance from you.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

nickhimself posted:

I guess at some point I should stop dismantling everything that isn't a Scathelocke, Sunshot, or Rocket Launcher.

Why do you guys like origin story and whatever that other gun is so much? What do they offer over what scathelocke and/or Sunshot do? I know the energy weapon has a larger clip but those explosion kills and handcannon crits are so good

Midnight Terror: the explosion of the bullet is not affected by distance and have a small aoe.
Antiope kind of kill things faster in close range
Positive Outlook: puts the bullets where you aim with the reticle

Scathelocke bullet spread means you can't kill a fly in mercury shooting from the almighty

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

nickhimself posted:

Yeah, that. Positive Outlook. I'll keep an eye out for those two and see how they feel.

Are there better options than Rocket Launchers? I used snipers for a bit and liked those just fine. Grenades never feel good but I may be using them improperly... Or they're just bad. I almost never see someone running around with a sword.

Grenades are decent in ad-heavy areas, until you get a Curtain Call or Sins of the Past, which cluster rockets do just fine and also are rocket launchers. Snipers are okay, but really should be back in Energy Weapon, as they end up running out of ammo super-fast and are kinda poo poo against ads. Sword is a situational weapon, when you have to lay down a lot of damage at a single melee-range enemy (Dogs in the raid, for instance) but kinda useless against bosses due to their consistent AoE attacks at close range.

For good Heavy weapons, Linear Fusion Rifles are laser beams with tons of damage and I will never not support their use. Shotguns, especially those with the slug, can also turn out huge numbers and wreck shielded enemies. And if you can get 'The Colony' exotic Grenade Launcher, you can have fun sending out spider-bombs.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Jack B Nimble posted:

I use origin story because it goes chunka chunka while scathelocke goes budda budda. Also while I love love love the EDZ it feels kinda white trash to romp around the end game in the scavenged equipment of humans that squat outside the city.

Embrace your inner light trash.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Is the new launcher The Colony any good? It's fun to use and looks/sounds cool

DXH
Dec 8, 2003

Ne Cede Malis
As much as I love my Halfdan for all things PvE, the Scathelocke is superior in PvP because it gets more stable the longer you hold down the trigger/the less rounds are left in the mag, I can't remember which. Either way it means that it gets easier to pop heads after your first rounds break an opponent's shield.

Origin Story is great in most situations which is why everyone uses it. I don't think Rampage works in PvP, but Scathelocke's high caliber rounds do.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

nickhimself posted:

Grenade Launchers are good so long as they have the ability to fire and remote detonate. That is, you fire, hold, and release the fire button to detonate. If they have that, they work really well to pop shields. You can also play mind games in PVP with it, because people assume you'll just instantly detonate. I like to fire one at the a doorway so it's hidden from sight, then wait for people to come running by. It'll auto detonate after a bit, so you have to time it right.

Shotguns are good for clearing big trash mobs fast. I mean the mobs that you can't clear with a single AOE blast, the kind that are spread out around an area.

Fusion Rifles are just neat. Linear ones can crit.

Snipers are good at a distance, because of course they are.

DXH posted:

As much as I love my Halfdan for all things PvE, the Scathelocke is superior in PvP because it gets more stable the longer you hold down the trigger/the less rounds are left in the mag, I can't remember which. Either way it means that it gets easier to pop heads after your first rounds break an opponent's shield.

Origin Story is great in most situations which is why everyone uses it. I don't think Rampage works in PvP, but Scathelocke's high caliber rounds do.

The Scathelocke isn't good. You shouldn't have to fire for any longer than a few shots to get good accuracy, imo. I'm a big fan of the more recoil heavy but damage heavy autos, though, so what do I know.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I've had a lot of good times with the Scathelocke. I don't mind its spray pattern, and feel it's reasonably easy to control

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Tatsuta Age posted:

They dont do agresive seeking, so you may fire two grenades and kill nobody. But is a 6 grenades launcher and thats usefull for melting hydras.

Is not a bad weapon, but is too tame to call it good.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

nickhimself posted:

I've had a lot of good times with the Scathelocke. I don't mind its spray pattern, and feel it's reasonably easy to control

It's good I'm just a grumpy piece of poo poo this morning

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Tatsuta Age posted:

it's pretty good in PvP

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Jeza posted:

Stick a Calus' Selected shader on it and pow, Prince of Rifles.

You're not wrong.

Also makes Positive Outlook look boss as gently caress too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

drat, that shader is fantastic. do you get it from doing the raid?

• Locked thread