Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

Last Chance posted:

how are people still tricked by apple fan mockups? theyve existed for years

i'm cingular wireless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

pram posted:

how would you even read emails on the shuffle

just like on the Apple Watch

in the most annoying useless way possible

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

how are people still tricked by apple fan mockups? theyve existed for years

i wasn't "tricked". i know it's just some dumbass graphic designer's masturbatory bullshit. i was pointing out how stupid it was, along with all the other "But what if OS X was more like iOS?" garbage these idiots keep making GBS threads out.

the stuff about jony ive someone at apple wishing they could dumb OS X's interface to be more like iOS was serious, though, because just look at stuff like Photos.app on the Mac.

Steve Ballmer
Aug 25, 2013

Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers!

Doc Block posted:

i wasn't "tricked". i know it's just some dumbass graphic designer's masturbatory bullshit. i was pointing out how stupid it was, along with all the other "But what if OS X was more like iOS?" garbage these idiots keep making GBS threads out.

the stuff about jony ive someone at apple wishing they could dumb OS X's interface to be more like iOS was serious, though, because just look at stuff like Photos.app on the Mac.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Doc Block posted:

photos.app looks like itunes.app, honestly. i don't see what you're saying. they haven't really "iOSified" macOs much lately. people were crowing about that when they removed scrollbars a long time ago and after the visual overhaul in yosemite, but really not much has changed.

some might say macos has even been a bit overlooked and no huge interface changes have been made in a while

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
timb needs to fire the itunes team and hire the QA team back and apple will be the best it’s been in years

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
making the computer easy to use is a good thing

ufarn
May 30, 2009
i wonder what that new itunes app for windows will be like. one one hand, it's probably gonna be super barebones, on the other, doesn't take much to beat the status quo

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

timb needs to fire the itunes team and hire the QA team back and apple will be the best it’s been in years

i like how the pinned taskbar icon breaks every time itunes updates for some reason

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was pissed off when Photos.app came out because I spent a long time sperging out with iPhoto, training it to identify faces in thousands of (mostly pre-iOS) photos, and then poof all that was gone. Then iOS and Photos brought face detection back and leveraged all that existing work I put in that I thought was lost forever. So that was pretty cool.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

non-4K ATV is backordered for 1-2 weeks as well

Now people won’t choose the wrong model when they buy one.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

infernal machines posted:

so they'd get sued by microsoft for ripping off metro design language?

lmao

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
iphone x is good i can say poop to my friends while also being a poop

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

photos.app looks like itunes.app, honestly. i don't see what you're saying. they haven't really "iOSified" macOs much lately.

Photos.app looks and works like a Jony Ives-ed iPhone app that was ported to macOS. It even has the iOS navigation.

In fact, somebody poked around and discovered that Apple had ported parts of UIKit to macOS and used that in Photos.app.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

love too have all ui elements at least 3 metres away from each other at all times

Doc Block posted:

Photos.app looks and works like a Jony Ives-ed iPhone app that was ported to macOS. It even has the iOS navigation.

In fact, somebody poked around and discovered that Apple had ported parts of UIKit to macOS and used that in Photos.app.

didn't they do something like this for itunes/safari for windows. truly the gold standard

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 18, 2017

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Doc Block posted:

just because a framework was ported doesn't mean the user interface was copied wholesale into macOS.

god help them that they wanted a grid of photos to share some code

Generic Monk posted:

didn't they do something like this for itunes/safari for windows. truly the gold standard
they ported macOS libraries to windows in order to .. share the same code. it's not really that crazy

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Generic Monk posted:

they originally did this for QuickTime. for iTunes they used the same portability layer to make iTunes for windows. of course when iTunes needed a web browser it couldn’t integrate IE, so they ported WebKit and bundled it with iTunes.

years later, when they were killing off carbon on macOS, iTunes was the only first party application that hadn’t ported off of it yet (because they are idiots). so they embedded a carbon framework emulator inside of iTunes for a few releases. iTunes became the only 32 bit app to ship with macOS for several years until they managed to completely transition to cocoa.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

just because a framework was ported doesn't mean the user interface was copied wholesale into macOS.

god help them that they wanted a grid of photos to share some code

they ported UINavgiationController and some other iOS-specific UI elements, which is why Photos.app on the Mac looks and feels like an iOS app. macOS has always been able to display a grid of images.

you’re probably the first person I’ve seen NOT say that Photos.app on the Mac looks like an iOS app.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Doc Block posted:

they ported UINavgiationController and some other iOS-specific UI elements, which is why Photos.app on the Mac looks and feels like an iOS app. macOS has always been able to display a grid of images.

you’re probably the first person I’ve seen NOT say that Photos.app on the Mac looks like an iOS app.

idk, when i see a traditional sidebar + menu bar at the top of the screen, those things don't scream iOS user interface to me.

the only thing that's similar is the photo grid... but why shouldn't that look similar? it's clear from those screenshots that apple is not just tossing the iPad UI into macOS or something.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
the charts here are pretty crazy, and we have a pretty good idea of what performance degradation looks like

https://twitter.com/jfpoole/status/942786620746620930

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

haha, apple is cheating on benchmarks?

weird if so, but why would the age of the battery, as a proxy for determining if you are in the window where reviews are being written, differ?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
what? how did you get that from the tweet/article?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

see :ninja:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
they're masking battery degradation by silently lowering processor speeds as battery capacity decreases, "my phone is old and slow now" is real

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ufarn posted:

the charts here are pretty crazy, and we have a pretty good idea of what performance degradation looks like

sounds like apple is using battery age as a proxy for ownership lifetime in order to tigger their "encourage new phone purchase" code. makes sense as the batteries aren't designed to be replaced and you never know when a unit will actually start its life.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the phones are running slower so that the battery drains less quickly when it has lower capacity

they're not "cheating" benchmarks in as much as the phone does perform exactly as benchmarked when the battery is at full capacity

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Slower phone with better battery life seems like a valid tradeoff for a communication device though they should be presenting battery health data and letting users know what is happening

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

the phones are running slower so that the battery drains less quickly when it has lower capacity

they're not "cheating" benchmarks in as much as the phone does perform exactly as benchmarked when the battery is at full capacity

whoa

I mean it makes sense but now “planned obsolescence” people have a much stronger argument

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you made the user aware that a new battery would make their phone work better then they'd buy a new battery instead of a new phone.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Slower phone with better battery life seems like a valid tradeoff for a communication device though they should be presenting battery health data and letting users know what is happening

yeah, it makes sense to me assuming your primary use case for the phone isn't running benchmarks, but it's also not something people were aware of

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

whoa

I mean it makes sense but now “planned obsolescence” people have a much stronger argument

well, except it's pretty much not "planned obsolescence" since it happens specifically to keep the phone usable for longer as the battery degrades from use.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

if you made the user aware that a new battery would make their phone work better then they'd buy a new battery instead of a new phone.

people buy new phones every 12-24mo regardless, people who hang on them longer are either weird edge-case people like me or folks buying flipped/used phones

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

ufarn posted:

does this affect iphone 6? i'm not paying money to benchmark this dinged up phone

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

people buy new phones every 12-24mo regardless, people who hang on them longer are either weird edge-case people like me or folks buying flipped/used phones

people buy new phones every 12-24 mo because they're upset their phones are slower, what the christ

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hypothetically, would they not buy new phones if they just lasted 8-12 hours on a charge instead?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

hypothetically, would they not buy new phones if they just lasted 8-12 hours on a charge instead?

or they would buy a new battery. it would have been cool to know for sure if that option were clear.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah most would buy a new battery. especially now that the differences between models is pretty minimal.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

The biggest thing with li-ion battery life is not fully discharging them. This can make battery endurance take a big poo poo if you're already running the thing below 50% on a regular basis and then the reduced capacity starts turning that in to full discharges on a regular basis. If apple is smart they will only do the throttling when the usage pattern has the user regularly doing deep discharges to try to maintain more capacity long term

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

does this affect iphone 6? i'm not paying money to benchmark this dinged up phone

run geekbench fully charged

run geekbench at each 10% drop

you tell me

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

run geekbench fully charged

run geekbench at each 10% drop

you tell me

quote:

i'm not paying money to benchmark this dinged up phone

sry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

The Management posted:

they originally did this for QuickTime. for iTunes they used the same portability layer to make iTunes for windows.

Microsoft does the same poo poo -- Windows code was ported for Office on Mac and, in the case of SQL Server on Linux, they just shipped the Windows dlls.