Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

DoggPickle posted:

I feel like you were probably one of the fun folks here from sort of the beginning. Go Vikings, RIP SANTA VIKING, and I'm actually sad about what is happening with Lagertha. I guess that her time had to come, but her downfall has been kind of meh and awkward in not a fun way.

I am a little bit stoked to see what is going to happen with Bjorn THE REAL SON OF RAGNAR! :black101:

Ivar = Crazy+downs

I don’t think I was posting in the first or second seasons but I really forget. Been around for the last few at least, and have probably gotten into dumb arguments with someone over something before, most likely over people announcing their departure from the thread over a tiny thing in the show.

I think Lagertha will end up in England again and die like a shieldmaiden, or at least I hope she will. Aslaug was probably more cut out to be queen honestly, but oh well, I still like Lagertha a lot more and hope to see her kick some rear end this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Dalael posted:

I finally caught up to the latest episode and I am very much conflicted. I think Ivar just became my favorite character. I don't want to like a character more than I liked Ragnar tho, because Travis Fimmel played him so well. But that battle in York where Ivar is acting all crazy? Holy poo poo.

Its funny all the theories that people are coming up with, from "The Vikings are hiding in the sewers" to "They set the sewers on fire" when a much more simple explanation can be found. While the Army rushed in York, the Vikings used the sewers to get outside the city and besiege it. It makes complete sense. They now have the English supplies, while the English have a city with no food. Rushing out from the main gate into the vikings will be suicide and their only real option will be to wait in the city until reinforcements arrive. Which will either not come, or get massacred leaving englishmen to die in the streets of York, fulfilling that battle priest vision. He simply got wrong who would be doing the dying.

Btw what's his name again? I keep forgetting. Was he a real guy or just some made up character?

Bishop Heahmund. He's based on a real Heahmund that I can't find much information on. According to an interview I read a while ago he was partially created as a response to Christian viewers who were upset that there wasn't a strong Christian on the show which I don't entirely get considering how devout Aethelwulf is and how much he's improved over the years.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Dalael posted:

I finally caught up to the latest episode and I am very much conflicted. I think Ivar just became my favorite character. I don't want to like a character more than I liked Ragnar tho, because Travis Fimmel played him so well. But that battle in York where Ivar is acting all crazy? Holy poo poo.

Its funny all the theories that people are coming up with, from "The Vikings are hiding in the sewers" to "They set the sewers on fire" when a much more simple explanation can be found. While the Army rushed in York, the Vikings used the sewers to get outside the city and besiege it. It makes complete sense. They now have the English supplies, while the English have a city with no food. Rushing out from the main gate into the vikings will be suicide and their only real option will be to wait in the city until reinforcements arrive. Which will either not come, or get massacred leaving englishmen to die in the streets of York, fulfilling that battle priest vision. He simply got wrong who would be doing the dying.

Btw what's his name again? I keep forgetting. Was he a real guy or just some made up character?

At least if they somewhat follow the history we know someone has to get out because Alfred has to live on. Will be interested to see how that happens.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Viridiant posted:

Bishop Heahmund. He's based on a real Heahmund that I can't find much information on. According to an interview I read a while ago he was partially created as a response to Christian viewers who were upset that there wasn't a strong Christian on the show which I don't entirely get considering how devout Aethelwulf is and how much he's improved over the years.

Aethelwulf is the biggest cuck on tv

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Erghh posted:

Any bets on Lagertha dying off this season? Seems like they might be building up to that.

Harald did become king of all of Norway according to history, so...

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dalael posted:

I was under the impression that this question is in fact, not answered in real life
:thejoke:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Mu Zeta posted:

Aethelwulf is the biggest cuck on tv

Yikes!

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Alhazred posted:

Yeah,true. Mostly just wondering if they'll have the balls to go there though.

A lot of people were expecting it with Ragnar but her idk.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Alhazred posted:

This also makes it pretty unlikely that Astrid slits his throat while he sleeps.

She might cut off his willy though, he can still become king with no willy...

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Trying to figure out which Harald this Harald is, I found that Sigurd Snake in the Eye's son gets together with Alfred the Great's daughter irl. Did he even have a son in the show befor Ivar killed him? Oh neat, he married King Aella's daughter.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 19, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

FogHelmut posted:

Trying to figure out which Harald this Harald is, I found that Sigurd Snake in the Eye's son gets together with Alfred the Great's daughter irl. Did he even have a son in the show befor Ivar killed him?

Was that the one that boned Ubbes wife? She'd probably be showing now tho if she was pregnant.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
There isn't a Knightfall thread either!
The forums are so dead :negative:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Double Bill posted:

This also makes it pretty unlikely that Astrid slits his throat while he sleeps.

She might cut off his willy though, he can still become king with no willy...

Historically he did have lot of sons, including Eric Bloodaxe.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

life is killing me posted:

I don’t think I was posting in the first or second seasons but I really forget. Been around for the last few at least, and have probably gotten into dumb arguments with someone over something before, most likely over people announcing their departure from the thread over a tiny thing in the show.

I think Lagertha will end up in England again and die like a shieldmaiden, or at least I hope she will. Aslaug was probably more cut out to be queen honestly, but oh well, I still like Lagertha a lot more and hope to see her kick some rear end this season.

I hate to hope about something that they may do differently just for the sake of being unpredictable, but I REALLY REALLY hope Lagertha goes out in an epic Shield-Maiden way or I will be a bit sad.

I'm surprised there was Christian outcry about not having a Christian when Athelstan was a main character from like episode 3 or so? He was the awesome viewer translation and his viewpoint was the inroad to all the Viking lore vs. Christians. Remember "so what is Ragnarok?" AWWWWWWW :black101:

Maybe they were just mad about that part where Floki was laughing about their stupid dead god and peed all over the church. :laffo:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Well Athelstan also had an extended crisis of faith.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Viridiant posted:

Well Athelstan also had an extended crisis of faith.

To be fair. so did Jesus.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dongattack posted:

There isn't a Knightfall thread either!
The forums are so dead :negative:

Is Knightfall any good? I had high hopes due to Vikings, but I'm not ready to jump in.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

FogHelmut posted:

Is Knightfall any good? I had high hopes due to Vikings, but I'm not ready to jump in.

I have no idea, that's why i wanted to check out the thread. I usually wait until at least half a season is available before i start watching a brand new show. I'm okay now tho cause i just discovered Deadwood :toot:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dongattack posted:

I have no idea, that's why i wanted to check out the thread. I usually wait until at least half a season is available before i start watching a brand new show. I'm okay now tho cause i just discovered Deadwood :toot:

You're setting yourself up for heartbreak.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

FogHelmut posted:

You're setting yourself up for heartbreak.

Why? Was it cancelled?

edit: god drat it, it was. oh well, i'll enjoy whats there

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

It’s okay, not quite the same as Vikings in ambience and grit. I mean, it’s watchable, but feels a little corny sometimes, like a kid’s adventure show where they crossed King Arthur with a show about Templars.

The problem with that is, Templars have kind of a dark history and the story seems at odds with the adventure soundtrack playing behind it. It’s definitely violent (sometimes gratuitously so), and that makes the music even worse—it’s like I’m watching Cutthroat Island while a guy’s arm gets chopped off in detail.

That’s the only way I can explain the odd feeling that show gives me. If it had Vikings’ score going on in the background instead of something that would belong in a cartoon called Templar & Friends, it would be a little more bearable.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

It’s okay, not quite the same as Vikings in ambience and grit. I mean, it’s watchable, but feels a little corny sometimes, like a kid’s adventure show where they crossed King Arthur with a show about Templars.

The problem with that is, Templars have kind of a dark history and the story seems at odds with the adventure soundtrack playing behind it. It’s definitely violent (sometimes gratuitously so), and that makes the music even worse—it’s like I’m watching Cutthroat Island while a guy’s arm gets chopped off in detail.

That’s the only way I can explain the odd feeling that show gives me. If it had Vikings’ score going on in the background instead of something that would belong in a cartoon called Templar & Friends, it would be a little more bearable.

Also all the Templars are French and live in Paris, but for some reason they all have strong English accents.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Also all the Templars are French and live in Paris, but for some reason they all have strong English accents.

That’s probably the most forgivable thing about the show, but it’s also not the only show guilty of this. They default to that accent since it’s at least easier to understand.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I find the warrior priest guy unbearable and find myself wanting the characters to roll their eyes and give the jack off motion when he starts to proselytize.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Dongattack posted:

I'm okay now tho cause i just discovered Deadwood :toot:

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Tbh, team Ubbe/Lagertha all the way.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Welp. :stare:

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
The TV IV › Vikings - Season 5: hash, loving and cannibalism

This show goes some places.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I find the warrior priest guy unbearable and find myself wanting the characters to roll their eyes and give the jack off motion when he starts to proselytize.

Honestly I like him. He’s at least a match for most of the Vikings, though I agree with you partially—I could do without the constant rally cries.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Erghh posted:

The TV IV › Vikings - Season 5: hash, loving and cannibalism

This show goes some places.

Hash, traps*, and cannibalism

Honestly I like him. He’s at least a match for most of the Vikings, though I agree with you partially—I could do without the constant rally cries.

He's the Christian Floki.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Dvsilverwing posted:

Hash, traps*, and cannibalism

So amended.

Legit didn't expect any of that. Wondered how they were going to do the "exotic east" beyond accents and eye shadow and welp.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Still, I want to see some drat France. I want Rollo back!

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I was wary of staying invested in this show after last season but i just binged the new season and the show is still good.

I like the battle bishop, Ivar rules, Floki rules and Aethelwulf is the biggest cuck on television.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I love how Lagertha was talking to Floki like he was a child, with her repeating everything he said like, “Norse zealots just say the darndest things!” It was like he was saying he had a friend only he could see and she was just going along with it

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Wait, am I the only one that really doesn't like Ivar?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Dvsilverwing posted:

I'm curious to know what you do not like about him? Is it the character? The actor? How he's developing?
I find Ivar to be one of the coolest character, not very far behind Ragnar. The actor plays him very well and the way he sometimes looks would scare the gently caress out of me were I facing him

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
My wife gets horned up every time he’s on screen so I don’t mind him as he’s getting me laid

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Dvsilverwing posted:

I think so. He's great. This is the only show I can think of that's done so well without its main character.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Grem posted:

I think so. He's great. This is the only show I can think of that's done so well without its main character.

Unfortunately for this thread, I can only conclude that most Vikings goons disagree—as about 60% of the goons who posted in the previous threads have apparently left Vikings for greener (shittier) pastures such as anything that isn’t Vikings.

And also can’t stick with a show to save their lives because they made Ragnar their god and when he went, they went with him into the pit of snakes that is TVIV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

we'll probably never see Rollo again will we

• Locked thread