Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Most descriptions for this show really really make it sound dumb but its really really not. I actually don't know if this is based on an actual comic since it feels like a comic/cartoon itself as there are parodic elements to the show, such as the faux-teletubbies which are part of children's entertainer Sonny Shine's universe who shoot rainbows out of their rear end, or the scene in the first episode where Nick is in an ambulance waving a gun around and intoxicatedly commanding the EMTs to give him more meds.

Basically, Christopher Melloni stars as Nick Sax :

your bog standard washed up 'best detective on the force' who turned to contract killing after leaving/getting kicked out. He's a massive alcoholic and is obviously fed up with life, suffering from his career loss and major heart issues. During one of his hits he has another heart attack and subsequently meets Happy (voiced by Patton Oswalt) :

a not so imaginary friend of his (unknown to him) daughter, Hailey :

who was kidnapped by a man dressed up like if garbage and the concept of foulness itself had a santa (played by Joseph D. Reitman) :

Along with the inevitable confrontation with Bad Santa, he has also contend with the mob! During a hit, he guns down 4 nephews of Francisco Scaramucci, the head of the Scaramucci family (Ritchie Coster):

one of whom was in possession of a 'password' that was meant to be relayed to (). As the nephew dies in Sax's arms, he whispers something to Sax-- presumably the password-- and as a result Nick has to contend with them as well along his apparent journey of redemption and possibly finding a reason to live.

Also starring are Lili Mirojnick as the ambiguous Detective Meredith McCarthy:

Medina Senghore as Amanda Hansen, Hailey's mother:

and Patrick Fischler as the creepy enforcer/torturer Smoothie:

I remember hearing about this show some time ago and not being interested, but it's actually rather good and I'm excited to see how they can play this blend of gritty hyper violence and cartoony humor.

(I don't know why those pics are so large; they are screen grabs from a windowed video, yet I have to scroll to see the entire image?)

e: It feels comicy because its a story by Grant Morrison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Most descriptions for this show really really make it sound dumb but its really really not. I actually don't know if this is based on an actual comic since it feels like a comic/cartoon itself as there are parodic elements to the show, such as the faux-teletubbies which are part of children's entertainer Sonny Shine's universe who shoot rainbows out of their rear end, or the scene in the first episode where Nick is in an ambulance waving a gun around and intoxicatedly commanding the EMTs to give him more meds.

Basically, Christopher Melloni stars as Nick Sax :

your bog standard washed up 'best detective on the force' who turned to contract killing after leaving/getting kicked out. He's a massive alcoholic and is obviously fed up with life, suffering from his career loss and major heart issues. During one of his hits he has another heart attack and subsequently meets Happy (voiced by Patton Oswalt) :

a not so imaginary friend of his (unknown to him) daughter, Hailey :

who was kidnapped by a man dressed up like if garbage and the concept of foulness itself had a santa (played by Joseph D. Reitman) :

Along with the inevitable confrontation with Bad Santa, he has also contend with the mob! During a hit, he guns down 4 nephews of Francisco Scaramucci, the head of the Scaramucci family (Ritchie Coster):

one of whom was in possession of a 'password' that was meant to be relayed to (). As the nephew dies in Sax's arms, he whispers something to Sax-- presumably the password-- and as a result Nick has to contend with them as well along his apparent journey of redemption and possibly finding a reason to live.

Also starring are Lili Mirojnick as the ambiguous Detective Meredith McCarthy:

Medina Senghore as Amanda Hansen, Hailey's mother:

and Patrick Fischler as the creepy enforcer/torturer Smoothie:

I remember hearing about this show some time ago and not being interested, but it's actually rather good and I'm excited to see how they can play this blend of gritty hyper violence and cartoony humor.

(I don't know why those pics are so large; they are screen grabs from a windowed video, yet I have to scroll to see the entire image?)

e: It feels comicy because its a story by Grant Morrison.

You said the two magic words. Grant Morrison

Now people will be upset.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The reason this show is so crazy is because the other creator of the show is Brian Taylor, who used to be the /Taylor of Nevaldine/Taylor. The guys behind Crank.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Rocksicles posted:

You said the two magic words. Grant Morrison

Now people will be upset.

Uh-oh. Does he have a bad rep? All I know is he writes comics; i'm not a big fan or anything. I just made this thread 'cause I enjoyed the show, couldn't find the thread and thought I'd be the change you want to see in the world

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Uh-oh. Does he have a bad rep? All I know is he writes comics; i'm not a big fan or anything. I just made this thread 'cause I enjoyed the show, couldn't find the thread and thought I'd be the change you want to see in the world

Depends on your comic allegiances, nerds are fickle and opinionated.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

When he's on, he's one of the best comics writers ever. When he's phoning it in, he phones it in harder than just about anyone else.

e: FWIW, the Happy! comic is very definitely on the "phoning it in" side and extremely not worth checking out. The show is spinning crap into gold.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Ahh, of course nerds are the answer. I kind of wonder if he meant happy! as a tv show, and phoned in a comic to show the concept?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Head's up, Syfy put the first episode up on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9pVkry8jJA

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
this is a shameless ripoff of The March Hare but all things considered, that's a good thing. a great thing even.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

When he's on, he's one of the best comics writers ever. When he's phoning it in, he phones it in harder than just about anyone else.

e: FWIW, the Happy! comic is very definitely on the "phoning it in" side and extremely not worth checking out. The show is spinning crap into gold.

Which other Morrison stories do you count as him phoning it in? (asking out of genuine interest)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
okay so i just finished the first episode and yeah if it keeps this up it's gonna be a hell of a great show. full Unhinged Stabler is great. the Happy parts can be grating, and i know that's intentional, but as long as it stays to a minimum it should be fine. there's a lot visually that was just super well done, including the action scenes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Escobarbarian posted:

Which other Morrison stories do you count as him phoning it in? (asking out of genuine interest)

JLA/WildCATS and his Spawn run are the two biggest examples that come to mind. DC One Million was also pretty meh, though I'm not sure if I'd call that "phoning it in" so much as an experiment that failed.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
omg it's Jerry Springer :vince:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

muscles like this! posted:

The reason this show is so crazy is because the other creator of the show is Brian Taylor, who used to be the /Taylor of Nevaldine/Taylor. The guys behind Crank.
People should watch Crank, everyone should watch Crank II High Voltage

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Autism Sneaks posted:

omg it's Jerry Springer :vince:

I didn't even know you were still on the air

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I didn't even know you were still on the air

I was watching that with a ridiculous hip hop lyric stuck in my head.

I sit in my crib glued to the telly
No food in my belly, I'm losin' it tuned into Jerry
But this is my final thought - right now it's time for war
Better decide if you're fightin' for a righteous cause
Like me an' my cyber force, we walk tall swing swords slay the minotaur
I scrutinize rhymes 'til my eyes are sore
We from the underground, raw like iron ore

Jerry Springer for president

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

this is a good show.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

JLA/WildCATS and his Spawn run are the two biggest examples that come to mind. DC One Million was also pretty meh, though I'm not sure if I'd call that "phoning it in" so much as an experiment that failed.

I went to a panel about a comic he was doing about Indian Gods as Superheroes and it was the most phoned in thing I have ever seen. When he's on, though, he's great.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Mimir posted:

I went to a panel about a comic he was doing about Indian Gods as Superheroes and it was the most phoned in thing I have ever seen. When he's on, though, he's great.

That's a version of an ancient Indian epic called the Mahabharata. It kind seems like exactly the thing that would be his jam, although I don't think it properly really got off the ground. From what I remember it got some pre-launch publicity then went silent for a year or two then started getting published as Grant Morrison's 18 days a few years back but with other people listed as the writer - like they were working off his notes or something.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Since first meeting Nick, Happy has:
* swore (sort of, it was a squeak)
* cheated
* and snuffed cocaine

Nick destroys what is pure.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BSam posted:

this is a good show.

my only problem with the pilot was Happy himself, and he was great in this episode, so yeah. this is fuckin' awesome so far.

ending the ep on "Mountain Song" was pro tier

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
So are syfy uploading every episode after they air on YouTube or just the first two?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m glad this show has a thread. My parents DVRed the first two episodes and I’m impressed with what I’ve seen so far.

Christopher Meloni as Nick was a grade motherfucking A pro-tier casting choice.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Meloni is also an executive producer on the show and highly highly highly involved in the writing and development of his character.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

muscles like this! posted:

Head's up, Syfy put the first episode up on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9pVkry8jJA

What the Hell did I just watch?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I’m glad this show has a thread. My parents DVRed the first two episodes and I’m impressed with what I’ve seen so far.

Christopher Meloni as Nick was a grade motherfucking A pro-tier casting choice.

I know, isn't he? :allears:

Bruceski posted:

What the Hell did I just watch?

Something amazing

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Meloni was fantastic as a comedic actor in Wet Hot American Summer and he's killing it so far in Happy.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I read the comic last month because I was interested in the show, and I have to say every change so far has been for the better. In the comic Nick Sax is just an awful dude, really not a whole lot of redeeming qualities. Meloni does a great job giving the gruff no fucks of the comic Sax, but while also making him watchable. The comic is just kind of hard to read and doesn't seem to be putting the reader through discomfort for any reason other than "GRIM DARK COMICS!!!!"

I also loved the picture of Nick when he was a famous cop seemed to be a screencap out of L&O:SVU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Meloni was fantastic as a comedic actor in Wet Hot American Summer and he's killing it so far in Happy.

He's got great range, which makes it all the more sad that he spent so many years working the meat-and-potatoes SVU gig.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nick Sax is absolutely Elliot Stabler. Then that flashback got really dark.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Thank you Happy! for showing me Christopher Meloni's bare rear end.

.....or was that a stunt rear end?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I got a feeling he would show his real rear end. He showed his real dick in OZ.

I think he even urinated on camera?

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
I'm not sure I've ever liked a syfy show. This is aces, though. Was kinda sad to read that Happy was originally voiced by Bobby Moynihan. He seems like he could use work more than Patton.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DoubleCakes posted:

I got a feeling he would show his real rear end. He showed his real dick in OZ.

I think he even urinated on camera?

Yeah, on Oz you saw him nude peeing into a bucket.

Also after that flashback it's no wonder that he drank so much that he's lost chunks of his life.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

If you haven't done so already, do yourself a favor and find the episode of Veep that he guested on.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I rreeeaaallllyyy hope they don't explain what happy is and how people can see him

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Holy hell that flashback :stare:

I don't know how I should feel about Meredith seemingly unaffected throughout that whole sequence.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I just remembered what Happy's design reminds me of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B-X0wk41xo&t=315s

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Watched the first two episodes. Still not sure what to think about the show but I'm pretty sure I really like it. It's just extremely different from pretty much anything I've been watching recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Went in knowing nothing except "Grant Morrison" and was hooked from the first scene.

Nitpick 1: people keep calling happy a horse. It has a straight horn coming out of forehead, and can fly. To me this looks like a unicorn.

I rreeeaaallllyyy hope they don't explain what happy is and how people can see him
Interesting. Sax is (or was) a great detective, I hope he investigates what the gently caress is going on and that the show goes deeper, somehow. Maybe he never quite figures it out.

I see Happy as an early manifestation of Hailey's superpowers brought on by traumatic events. Inherited from her father, maybe. But who knows.

• Locked thread