Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mu Zeta posted:

There was an episode that argued it's a bad thing to mature and grow. Ash preferred to keep his Pikachu from evolving into Raichu and the show made it sound like a good thing. Stay cute forever!

Yeah, I feel that way about my Jigglypuffs, I never evolve them because Jigglypuff owns, and Wigglytuff kinda sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Bee posted:

That's not saying it's bad to grow. That's saying it's bad to trade away your potential injecting rock steroids into your body.

And yet 20 years later Pikachu still hasn't evolved.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mu Zeta posted:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Mu Zeta posted:

And neither have his fans, apparently.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Mu Zeta posted:

Pikachu doesn't evolve by leveling.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I feel that way about my Jigglypuffs, I never evolve them because Jigglypuff owns, and Wigglytuff kinda sucks.

Wigglytuff is much cooler than Jigglypuff, bro.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rough Lobster posted:

How does it feel to be so wrong?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

There was an episode that argued it's a bad thing to mature and grow. Ash preferred to keep his Pikachu from evolving into Raichu and the show made it sound like a good thing. Stay cute forever!

The lesson of that episode was to not grow too fast. Lt. Surge evolved his Pikachu into Raichu as soon as he could so that it'd be stronger. Ash's Pikachu was able to defeat it using the speed attacks Raichu never had a chance to learn.

You might be thinking about the episode with the Eevees where this kid had an Eevee and his brothers were all trying to get him to evolve it into one of its three forms at the time. The Eevee winds up saving the day when the evolved forms couldn't so the kid decides to keep it an Eevee forever.

:goonsay:

Iron Crowned posted:

:same:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Later generations also added pikachu specific items to make it better to keep it unevolved.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Rough Lobster posted:

you are being attacked by fools but stay strong

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
I think it's fine for the cartoon to not completely replicate game mechanics

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

I like Wigglytuff better.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I like Wigglytuff better.

The Wigglytuff centric episode was what changed me from Jigglypuff to Wigglytuff camp.

The entire -tuff line is interesting at least which is more then you can say about a lot of other Pokemon lines.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Expanding galaxy brain: Actually Clefairy is the best one

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

purple death ray posted:

Expanding galaxy brain: Actually Clefairy is the best one

Those are fightin' words. :toughguy:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Join me my brothers, in Camp Klefki!

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Doggles posted:

You might be thinking about the episode with the Eevees where this kid had an Eevee and his brothers were all trying to get him to evolve it into one of its three forms at the time. The Eevee winds up saving the day when the evolved forms couldn't so the kid decides to keep it an Eevee forever.

If I remember correctly, they ran into these guys again in gen 2 and the kid evolved his Eevee into Espeon.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Elblanco posted:

If I remember correctly, they ran into these guys again in gen 2 and the kid evolved his Eevee into Espeon.

That just means his Eevee really loved him. If it had catalysed 12 hours later he would have had an Umbreon, because all that matters is your Eevee wuvs you plus time of day. :3:

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Fun fact: obedience is only relevant to traded pokemon in-game for all seven generations, you can't overlevel any pokemon that have you as their Original Trainer :eng101:

Untrue, my first Pokemon game was Silver. And since I was an idiot kid who didn't know about HMs, I grinded the first pokemon I caught (a Pidgy) to get it to learn fly as quickly as possible. It literally was the only Pokemon that I used in battle, and after a while it became disobedient until I beat more gym leaders.

Adeline Weishaupt has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Dec 18, 2017

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Quote is not edit

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

umalt posted:

Untrue, my first Pokemon game was Silver. And since I was an idiot kid who didn't know about HMs, I grinded the first pokemon I caught (a Pidgy) to get it to learn fly as quickly as possible. It literally was the only Pokemon that I used in battle, and after a while it became disobedient until I beat more gym leaders.
I mean, I'm literally going off Bulbapedia and they're pretty explicit about it, but it's been long enough I could be wrong?

They're pretty explicit that gen 2 only applies to outsider Pokemon, though.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Later generations also added pikachu specific items to make it better to keep it unevolved.
Ah, the Initial D route.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'm pretty sure its true about the not listening only if its traded thing. I messed around once and rare candied all my pokemon to level 60 or so before even getting to the first gym and they never disobeyed me. (Gen 1)

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I think you will find that all of the pokemon are pretty great.

except jynx

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
Do you think Mr Mime gives good handjobs?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've seen episodes where they are eating sushi so they must eat the magikarps

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Mu Zeta posted:

Team rocket tried to eat a magikarp in one of the episodes set on a ship

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

I think it's fine for the cartoon to not completely replicate game mechanics

Well I think it's stupid!

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
what the hell is everyone talking about

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Apparently Pokemon is the only thing that hasn't aged well.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Gotta post 'em all (my opinions about Pokemon)

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

Do you think Mr Mime gives good handjobs?

Buy me dinner first, at least :wink:

also work on your typing skills

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Mu Zeta posted:

What are you talking about? Those are clearly jelly donuts...

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm watching The Rockford Files. Angel, a con artist type character is talking about how he's getting richer and how he wants to have his own Al Capone style mansion, but he's going to have telephones in every room.

Posted from my Galaxy S8+

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Battlestar Galactica has aged very well except for the robot cylons. I don't remember them looking like Hercules the Legendary Journeys quality CGI.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The main thing I learned from the Pokemon anime is that sandshrew is the strongest pokemon.

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

Pokemon who evolve from stones learn absolutely no moves after evolving (with the exception of Eevee); this was the point of the surge episode. It's also the reason why your level 7 Raichu will always be poo poo.

There's a few other edge cases where a stoned Pokemon will learn a few moves, but by and large, the default is evolving them is what you do after you level them.

Content: Home Improvement is a lot less funny knowing how much of a shithead Tim Allen became. I don't think it had anything bad like gay panic, though that may be later seasons.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Moon Monster posted:

The main thing I learned from the Pokemon anime is that sandshrew is the strongest pokemon.

Sandshrew is actually pretty fun in the early game of Red/Blue, it's tanky, hits hard and doesn't have as many weaknesses as Rock/Ground types.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists > Pokemon that did not level well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists > Pokemon that did not level well

Empty quote