Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It has enough annoying issues that it'd be a poor choice to buy a Switch for, but it'd be worth it if there are a few other Switch-only games you're interested in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Serrath posted:

This has probably already been asked so sorry if it was; final verdict, for someone bought a Wii to play Xenoblade Chronicles (which was total worth it) and then bought a WiiU for the sequel (which was much less worth it) - is this game worth buying the Switch for? The first one was one of the best games I’d played in a long time, is this game similar enough to recapture that?

I mean, I wouldn't buy a Switch for it. I liked the game quite a bit, but its a very different game than XC1.

That being said, the Switch is totally worth buying for a bunch of other games (Zelda, Mario Odyssey, Mario x Rabbids etc) So if you have any interest in them you might want to go for it. If its only going to be a Xenoblade machine and you have no interest in any other games on the system pass for now.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Srice posted:

It has enough annoying issues that it'd be a poor choice to buy a Switch for, but it'd be worth it if there are a few other Switch-only games you're interested in.

I already have breath of the wild on the WiiU which was an otherwise bad purchase until it was released. I’ll probably wait until the switch has a bigger line up

Thanks!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Serrath posted:

I already have breath of the wild on the WiiU which was an otherwise bad purchase until it was released. I’ll probably wait until the switch has a bigger line up

Thanks!

I wouldn’t get XC2 if you’re looking for an XC1 experience. It’s very different and inferior to the original IMO.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a lovely game. I hate to admit that, but this title sucks and is hugely disappointing. :/ Xenoblade X wasn't good either. Somehow Monolith just can't capture that same fire they had with XC1.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

If you’re fighting unique monsters at their level you’ll have trouble because they are generally super strong, you’ll probably have to optimize your current party or just outlevel them.

A lot of them seem to start reflecting damage if you take too long as well, so don’t expect a battle of attrition to work out.

I was 7 levels above him.

Dynastesaurus
Oct 22, 2010

I really have to strongly disagree here. I think X is the best of the three, and I've played that and xbc2 to completion. I can't even manage to get to colony 6 or whatever in xbc1, and I've tried several times.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Xenoblade 2 is a very fun game (I love the combat, which I was very unsure about in all the stuff that led up to release) but I don't think you should ever buy a console for one game. That being said, the switch has tons of awesome games already so if you're waiting for a bigger lineup I'm not sure what else will sell you on it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
XC2 is good and fun, even if the loot system is garbo, most everything else about it is really good.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

IcePhoenix posted:

Xenoblade 2 is a very fun game (I love the combat, which I was very unsure about in all the stuff that led up to release) but I don't think you should ever buy a console for one game. That being said, the switch has tons of awesome games already so if you're waiting for a bigger lineup I'm not sure what else will sell you on it.

Agreed, I bought a switch and Xenoblade since Xenoblade was the game I was most excited to play, but I have a rule where there has to be 4 games on a system I want to play before I buy it and Xenoblade was #4.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Xenoblade 2 is just a mess of systems that are all overlapping time sinks for no discernable reason with some interesting ideas like the healing potions that just arent thought out to their conclusion. And a lot of these timesinks are super nested with poor indicators of progress, like shop deeds which boy howdy.

Good thing its a pretty game and relatively easy with some extremely poorly thought out arbitray difficulty spikes.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

gently caress Azure Reginald.

That is all.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I really hope that the next Xenoblade game gets rid of the pickup mechanic for loot. Just put that stuff directly in my inventory. Especially enemy drops that can vanish during a fight.

Also all gathering points need to have a symbol denoting what sort of resource they have (or the skill they trigger) because holy poo poo finding specific nodes on your own suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you expect a Legendary Core to have better odds of rolling Rare Blades, prepare to be disappointed.

It's more that I hope they have a better chance at rolling 3-4 star commons with stuff like orb master. I'm 100% ok with my current (rare) blade setup on my party members. Even the 4th party members has 3 rare tanking blades now (and 2 of them are taichis so I can go full agility if I want to use them). Only Nia lacks a 3rd on-type rare blade and she does fine with the lovely dark element bitball she uses alongside Vess. I'd happily replace it with a 3 or 4 star ring/ball blade though, especially one with better battle skills.

You can't get orb mastery for any poppi forms can you? Didn't notice it last time Iooked through her upgrades.

PJOmega posted:

Don't pull blades for Rex.

You'll understand.

Alternately: Pull blades on someone else and absolutely give Rex someone like Zenobia via an overdrive if you pull them early on because she out damages Pyra most of the time.

I have absolutely no regrets about burning an overdrive to give him Zenobia.

Serrath posted:

This has probably already been asked so sorry if it was; final verdict, for someone bought a Wii to play Xenoblade Chronicles (which was total worth it) and then bought a WiiU for the sequel (which was much less worth it) - is this game worth buying the Switch for? The first one was one of the best games I’d played in a long time, is this game similar enough to recapture that?

It's worth buying a Switch.

It's also worth buying XC2 for the Switch that you should buy for its various good games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Evil Fluffy posted:

Alternately: Pull blades on someone else and absolutely give Rex someone like Zenobia via an overdrive if you pull them early on because she out damages Pyra most of the time.

I have absolutely no regrets about burning an overdrive to give him Zenobia.

You should absolutely make sure Rex has an alternate DPS'er, even if you have to Overdrive one onto him, just for the story beats that separate him from Pyra.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Okay, so I think I might've encountered a pretty annoying bug with the quest "Eternal Spirit."

I did the merc mission associated with the quest, but when I went to Fonsa Myma Port to meet up with Perun, she wasn't there. There was no quest marker either. I tried restarting the game, and doing the quest over again, but she still wasn't appearing. Is there anything I can do to fix it, or am I just poo poo out of luck?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tardzilla posted:

Okay, so I think I might've encountered a pretty annoying bug with the quest "Eternal Spirit."

I did the merc mission associated with the quest, but when I went to Fonsa Myma Port to meet up with Perun, she wasn't there. There was no quest marker either. I tried restarting the game, and doing the quest over again, but she still wasn't appearing. Is there anything I can do to fix it, or am I just poo poo out of luck?

Did you make sure you meet the party requirements? Go to the quest log and open up the description, then hit Y to look at the objectives and the party requirements will be at the bottom of the screen. A lot of blade sidequests require ____Pyra____, I've noticed, so that might be your issue.

Speaking of Rare blade sidequests, I began the ursula hellgrind from affniity 4 to affinity 5 last night :shepicide:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh god dammit, I just worked out why they're called Theory and Praxis. Practice.

:cripes:

You just know some fucker at Nintendo EU's feeling clever with themselves for that one.

Oh man wait until you figure out what's the root for Ursula's name

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I made the calculations here and you need to collect around 1500 items to max out Vess' dumpling pro skill. Insanity

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How do you get the Pretty Seashell for Sheba’s quest? I’ve tried Nofmal, Silver, and gold cylinders, and none of them get Pretty Seashells.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
How are you supposed to deal with getting swarmed by like 4-6 enemies at once? It essentially becomes impossible for me to do any of the normal stuff (blade combos, driver combos, etc) because the targeting system is complete garbage. My AI partners will constantly switch targets, my character will constantly switch targets, and no one is ever fighting the same enemy.

I know about the left d-pad button to focus fire on one enemy, but this only lasts until those idiots bump into someone else again after like five seconds, and by that time the combo is dead or they decide to use their special on one of the other enemies instead?

You’re supposed to target enemies by looking in their direction and hitting right bumper....
But it’s really really difficult to ACTUALLY do that when there are 6 stupid motorcycles surrounding you and stunlocking you etc. I end up mashing the right bumper and slightly adjusting the camera, trying to get focus back on the original enemy, until I give up because it just isn’t happening. 😫

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Bass Bottles posted:

How are you supposed to deal with getting swarmed by like 4-6 enemies at once? It essentially becomes impossible for me to do any of the normal stuff (blade combos, driver combos, etc) because the targeting system is complete garbage. My AI partners will constantly switch targets, my character will constantly switch targets, and no one is ever fighting the same enemy.

I know about the left d-pad button to focus fire on one enemy, but this only lasts until those idiots bump into someone else again after like five seconds, and by that time the combo is dead or they decide to use their special on one of the other enemies instead?

You’re supposed to target enemies by looking in their direction and hitting right bumper....
But it’s really really difficult to ACTUALLY do that when there are 6 stupid motorcycles surrounding you and stunlocking you etc. I end up mashing the right bumper and slightly adjusting the camera, trying to get focus back on the original enemy, until I give up because it just isn’t happening. 😫

It's not the targeting system, you're being taunted by the round enemies. Try equipping *poutporri accessories for taunt resistance. The motorcycles are the worst enemies in the game though, not much you can do besides burst them down as quick as possible. A good thing to fight them with is pouch items with special regen, since you can trigger the hard hitting AOE specials even if you're getting knocked all over the place and kill multiple enemies with blade combos.

EDIT: You can also hold R and press A or Y to cycle through enemies.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

nerdz posted:

I made the calculations here and you need to collect around 1500 items to max out Vess' dumpling pro skill. Insanity

I have diligently gathered materials and had enough for exactly 1 rice ball. The ingredient list for one dumpling is staggering.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You should absolutely make sure Rex has an alternate DPS'er, even if you have to Overdrive one onto him, just for the story beats that separate him from Pyra.

No I want someone to find out what happens if you don't open any in Rex.

Wait there's still one story mandated random that I don't think you can release. Nevermind.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Did you make sure you meet the party requirements? Go to the quest log and open up the description, then hit Y to look at the objectives and the party requirements will be at the bottom of the screen. A lot of blade sidequests require ____Pyra____, I've noticed, so that might be your issue.

Speaking of Rare blade sidequests, I began the ursula hellgrind from affniity 4 to affinity 5 last night :shepicide:

:doh: Yea, nevermind. Turns out I'm an idiot and I forgot to put Perun in my party, and that's why the quest wasn't appearing. Whoops.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Another observation here: I'm really having fun figuring out new common blade builds, and it's really cool how good they can get. But I definitely understand why they are almost universally ignored and seen as trash. Not only zero though has gone into their design (monochromatic featureless robots, really?), but on the other side a shitload of effort was spent on the rare blades with all the guest artists and special voice acted sidequests and heart-to-hearts. Add how hard it is to get rare blades and you can see how people will project hatred at seeing Yet Another Common Blade popping out of their legendary cores.

I really think they should have fleshed out the common blade designs a bit more besides "random head pieces". The varied voices for them are a really good start, but they should really have at least a bit more color to them. It really reeks of "we ran out of time and money there". Even something to make them look different between rarity levels would have come a long way.

I also would really like a way to "Upgrade" common blades all the way to rarity 4 and unlock level 5 skill for everything on their trees. Maybe even a blade "enchanter" to swap out skill and blade arts.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 18, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

nerdz posted:

Another observation here: I'm really having fun figuring out new common blade builds, and it's really cool how good they can get. But I definitely understand why they are almost universally ignored and seen as trash. Not only zero though has gone into their design (monochromatic featureless robots, really?), but on the other side a shitload of effort was spent on the rare blades with all the guest artists and special voice acted sidequests and heart-to-hearts. Add how hard it is to get rare blades and you can see how people will project hatred at seeing Yet Another Common Blade popping out of their legendary cores.

I really think they should have fleshed out the common blade designs a bit more besides "random head pieces". The varied voices for them are a really good start, but they should really have at least a bit more color to them. It really reeks of "we ran out of time and money there". Even something to make them look different between rarity levels would have come a long way.

I also would really like a way to "Upgrade" common blades all the way to rarity 4 and unlock level 5 skill for everything on their trees. Maybe even a blade "enchanter" to swap out skill and blade arts.

It being a major pain in the rear end to manage and see if your new common blades are any good doesn't help either

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

It being a major pain in the rear end to manage and see if your new common blades are any good doesn't help either

I have 3 insanely good blades and it takes me a shitload of time to find them amongst the hundreds of common blades. I also always save before deleting blades because they all look the same and I might delete them by accident.

A "chronological usage" sort and a way to lock/set favorites would be nice.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm not one to have ever complained over localization, like the name changes of blades don't bother me at all. However, the unique mobs having names like "Rampaging Steve" are :effort: as gently caress and annoys me.

ntan1 posted:

Furthermore, it's likely that the four attributes play a role.

I keep seeing people say this, I'm convinced they actually hurt your chance because I've never got a rare blade when using a booster. I don't know how anyone could possible know when eventually you seem to get a rare blade every 300-400 cores.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The boosters affect the chance to get a certain element, not the rarity.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Boosters are only useful for narrowing down an element, yeah.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
That's kind of what I meant yea, that the point of them seems to be to determine the element of the not rare blade you get and that using boosters might actually push you into getting a normal blade than a rare blade.

I finished the game last night, major spoilers obviously, want to ask a question about the end in relation to XC1. So they mentioned that 2 eternity cores, or whatever they were called, were here and one went to a different universe or whatever. I don't remember the ending 100% of XC1 but it was pretty obviously similar to this ending. Was that other eternity core the Monado, or maybe the key around that guys neck from XC1? Or is that eternity core likely the future 2018 dlc?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tardzilla posted:

:doh: Yea, nevermind. Turns out I'm an idiot and I forgot to put Perun in my party, and that's why the quest wasn't appearing. Whoops.

A+ username/post combo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

katkillad2 posted:

I'm not one to have ever complained over localization, like the name changes of blades don't bother me at all. However, the unique mobs having names like "Rampaging Steve" are :effort: as gently caress and annoys me.

I keep seeing people say this, I'm convinced they actually hurt your chance because I've never got a rare blade when using a booster. I don't know how anyone could possible know when eventually you seem to get a rare blade every 300-400 cores.

All the unique names are awesome. This big glowing weird dragon bird thing thats twice the level of everything around and is called something like Uninterested Harold. Amazing

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Pollyanna posted:

Boosters are only useful for narrowing down an element, yeah.

I think boosters have to also increase the droprate of higher quality blades, or else the whole idea system is pointless. If the numbers only matter in relativity to to one another, why even have the numbers go up?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The only uniques I care about are healers, because they have some very good healing compared to generics. Otherwise, a lot of DPS uniques aren't that great if they don't have orb master or are littered with tons of (if under 30% health) poo poo.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Alvis

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

In Training posted:

All the unique names are awesome. This big glowing weird dragon bird thing thats twice the level of everything around and is called something like Uninterested Harold. Amazing

the names are good

I got one of my biggest chain attacks so far off of “CRIMSON DERRICK”

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

The only uniques I care about are healers, because they have some very good healing compared to generics. Otherwise, a lot of DPS uniques aren't that great if they don't have orb master or are littered with tons of (if under 30% health) poo poo.

Common Bitballs can be very good, only the female ones, though due to their level 2 specials. Since they heal off damage dealt on rex if you get a bitball with extra damage skills they will be a guaranteed full heal for the party every 2 seconds.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Figure out how to get a Pretty Seashell: just keep opening treasure chests from the Flight Deck salvage point.

tap my mountain posted:

I think boosters have to also increase the droprate of higher quality blades, or else the whole idea system is pointless. If the numbers only matter in relativity to to one another, why even have the numbers go up?

I don’t put it past this game to have a pointless system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I don’t put it past this game to have a pointless system.

Lets make “dumplings” with Vess.