Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Kinda wish the search box would open your results in full chrome rather than the weird chrome tabs thing, but whatever.

Ugh, same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'd be fine with chrome tabs if it had a "Share" option in the menu, but I've always got to move over into a full chrome instance to do that and it angers me.

That, coupled with the poo poo non-swipable news feed and hidden Google Now agenda updates and whatnot, makes me in a constant low-level state of irritation with Google.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Share is the very first thing in the list

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 18, 2017

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

I'd be fine with chrome tabs if it had a "Share" option in the menu, but I've always got to move over into a full chrome instance to do that and it angers me.

That, coupled with the poo poo non-swipable news feed and hidden Google Now agenda updates and whatnot, makes me in a constant low-level state of irritation with Google.

I've somehow gotten the option to turn off the 'feed':

...but the result is almost spiteful: you still need to hit that stupid, stupid, stupid sprinkler-thing icon in the top-right to look at what used to be the Google Now stuff.

Unbelievable.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

lmao

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
You know, I was wondering what the hell you were talking about with "sprinkler thing" a while back. I don't think I've seen any other screenshots with it on that location. Mine's on the bottom bar.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

You know, I was wondering what the hell you were talking about with "sprinkler thing" a while back. I don't think I've seen any other screenshots with it on that location. Mine's on the bottom bar.

Sorry. To clarify: it's the abstract icon that doesn't explain what it is or its function in a tooltip when you long-press it, that may or may not be in the same place as the same icon on my device (depending not only on your own hardware and operating system combination, but also on any combination of arbitrary server-side account-based switches that you have no way at all of knowing about nor affecting).

The company that got big and famous for having a service that was [text field] [SEARCH button], but nonetheless got better results than the competition.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

I still, somehow, have a swipable feed, gently caress only knows how, but I'm not complaining.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Finally grabbed Nova Prime. I missed being able to double tap to turn off my screen. Now if I could just get 1) Double tap to wake without root, and 2) A weather widget for my lock screen, I'd be set.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

Finally grabbed Nova Prime. I missed being able to double tap to turn off my screen. Now if I could just get 1) Double tap to wake without root, and 2) A weather widget for my lock screen, I'd be set.

What phone do you have? I know double-tap to wake is on the pixels, though I'm not sure if that's a pixel feature or an android feature. But its reliability is..... bad, so I don't bother.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I've always heard it called the sprinkler too and I have no idea what it's supposed to represent, either iconographically or metaphorically.

The sprinkler is on the bottom bar if you go into the Google app, or if you go into the feed and actually enter it. When you just go into the feed it's at the top near the three dots.

docbeard posted:

I still, somehow, have a swipable feed, gently caress only knows how, but I'm not complaining.

Inside the sprinkler, the cards are swipeable but inside the feed they are not. Why? Because gently caress UI consistency and gently caress you.

Edit: I should also add that if you open Chrome there is a version of the feed below the eight frequently used sites. Of course those are swipeable as well.

Now I actually like the feed, I find it routinely suggests stories I'm interested in reading and I follow them often. But I will say I hate the current implementation of it, both within the panel to the left of the home screen and in Chrome. Right now the implementation is so bad that I have a tough time imagining how it could be worse, but I'm sure Google will find a way.

hooah posted:

What do you mean "inside the feed"? It's always at the bottom for me, no matter which tab I'm in.

If you swipe over left from the home screen, it should have the sprinkler up at the top.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 19, 2017

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What do you mean "inside the feed"? It's always at the bottom for me, no matter which tab I'm in.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

It is not uncommon for me to click the wrong thing on feed stories when I'm going through them and so instead of hiding them, I stop following the subject or whatever and then I have to hurry and click the undo button on the snackbar that pops up.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

It's like I do the "hide" action 100x more than I do any other, but they took away the easy-to-access swipe action and lumped it in with a bunch of other actions.

I hope Google has actual user data that shows them they're helping someone with these changes.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

I hope Google has actual user data that shows them they're helping someone with these changes.

lol

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Thermopyle posted:

It's like I do the "hide" action 100x more than I do any other, but they took away the easy-to-access swipe action and lumped it in with a bunch of other actions.

I just don't bother hiding anything any more

Every time you read a story, the next refresh will replace it (well, nine times of of ten anyway), so there's content being removed and replaced naturally as you go

I get the impression the new feed is more about you telling it what you do want, rather than what you don't if that makes sense

I'm still using the 'not interested in' function regularly though, especially to remove entire sources

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

I just don't bother hiding anything any more

Every time you read a story, the next refresh will replace it (well, nine times of of ten anyway), so there's content being removed and replaced naturally as you go

I get the impression the new feed is more about you telling it what you do want, rather than what you don't if that makes sense

I'm still using the 'not interested in' function regularly though, especially to remove entire sources

See, thats' not how it works for me.

I'll read a story and then hours later its still there along with new ones.

Also, there's sometimes this weird blue button that floats in the middle in the bottom quarter of the screen that says "update" or something similar. Sometimes its updates the stories displayed, sometimes it leaves them just like they are.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It's definitely not perfect, and I do miss swiping stuff away buy it mostly works for me

I wonder what the trigger for deciding if something has definitely been read is

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yeah I have to wonder too since everything I read is on a logged-in Chrome window somewhere. How doesn't it know that I've read it?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Google feed activity log parable:
  • User hamfists@gmail.com marked 'being handed a steaming, fresh dog turd in a box' as 'not interested'
  • Sent user hamfists@gmail.com a slightly stale dog turd
  • User hamfists@gmail.com recorded 'dog poop' under 'Other' as 'not interested'
  • Note: rotating through various states of [quantity] and [species] based on user feedback
  • Sent user hamfists@gmail.com a handful of rabbit turds
  • etc.
Sorry you appear to be receiving turds, sir. Have you tried hitting 'not interested' on things you aren't interested in? :shrug:

LastInLine posted:

Yeah I have to wonder too since everything I read is on a logged-in Chrome window somewhere. How doesn't it know that I've read it?

I don't think they care whether you've read it; they care that it's in front of your eyeballs, though.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

spincube posted:

[*]User hamfists@gmail.com recorded 'dog poop' under 'Other' as 'not interested'

How do I do this? I found my extremely long "not-interested" list under "other", but no way to pro-actively add things to it. Not that I expect it to have any more of an effect than in the parable.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What do you know: I could have sworn I did a 'I do not want to hear about thing' process once, a long time ago. Maybe I imagined it, maybe it happened but it's now gone because why would you want to do that :smug:, and so forth. Sorry for the false hope and all.

It seems to store a list of every thing I've ever marked as 'not interested' just in case I ever change my mind, but doesn't let me do anything with it other than say 'no actually in fact i am interested in thing', and not add things to the list myself because gently caress you our business model is mailing turds now.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

spincube posted:

It seems to store a list of every thing I've ever marked as 'not interested' just in case I ever change my mind, but doesn't let me do anything with it other than say 'no actually in fact i am interested in thing', and not add things to the list myself because gently caress you our business model is mailing turds now.
The best thing is when it allows you to mark the website as of no interest, but not the topic/category. Which is most of the time for me.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is it possible to buy an app using my credit card and not my Google Play Credit? Or do I HAVE to spend my Play Credit first?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Tap the arrow next to google play balance

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Flipperwaldt posted:

The best thing is when it allows you to mark the website as of no interest, but not the topic/category. Which is most of the time for me.

Yeah I really wish I could no interest football but not the whole of bbc/sky sports

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Blue Train posted:

Tap the arrow next to google play balance

Thanks. As soon as I read that, I remembered that I've done it before.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I can't figure out if I'm just missing an option or if Flamingo doesn't support it. I have notifications turned on for a couple twitter accounts so I get immediately alerted to tweets from that account. The stock twitter client works fine with this, but I can't seem to find this in Flamingo. It intercepts the notification from the stock app (which I have enabled for the notification support in Flamingo) but it doesn't replace it with anything so it vanishes.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
So did Facebook finally kill the 'sort feed after newest' option for good? It was always buried somewhere but I can't find it anywhere anymore.

Don't wanna use a wrapper or Facebook lite :(

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

AlexF posted:

So did Facebook finally kill the 'sort feed after newest' option for good? It was always buried somewhere but I can't find it anywhere anymore.

How about don't use fb?

Or use Friendly?

My poor phone kept updating fb and installing messenger while I was trying to play dumb games on it but I finally killed them with Package Disabler.

How and why fb does that is a mystery but I guess the answer is poor phone

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

AlexF posted:

You mean the "most recent" feed? It's still there.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Mine looks like this:

Me: "I don't wanna use a wrapper"

SA: "How 'bout you use a wrapper"

Thanks!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

AlexF posted:

Mine looks like this:

Thanks!

Mine looks like that (but not German), though the icons are in a different order and I seem to have more of them? Anyway, one of the icons looks like a Facebook post of a mountain and is labeled "feeds" and good lord, Facebook is a terrible site and app experience.

Tl;dr: use a wrapper?

I barely even know what wrappers are!

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Must be seem A/B testing, then. Welp, time to change apps I guess.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

AlexF posted:

Mine looks like this:

Thanks!

Have you tried LSD?

But seriously is Friendly a "wrapper"? It's an alternative. You can kill the FB app and it works on its own and has an integrated messenger in case you like that sort of thing. Maybe I'm just not understanding the term :shrug:

But I mean, the actual fb app is a "wrapper" in the sense that it's an app to access a website you could just use chrome to get on, right?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

AlexF posted:

Must be seem A/B testing, then. Welp, time to change apps I guess.

Stop using an app and just use the mobile web interface then. Add a shortcut. The mobile site still has most recent sorting.

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass
Is there a goon rec for an alternative Spotify client? The official one bugs out like every third use for me

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Fooge posted:

Is there a goon rec for an alternative Spotify client? The official one bugs out like every third use for me

if there is one I'd love to hear about it

I did just search the store and find Managr which looks like it might correct the only real issue I have with the official app: the lack of even basic playlist management even though the functions that would be needed are right loving there but only on the queue screen (e: oh and in the much better iOS app)

e2: managr can't even delete tracks lol
e3: there's an app with only 100 downloads called "Playlist Editor For Spotify" that seems more full featured than managr

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 21, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Scudworth posted:

Stop using an app and just use the mobile web interface then. Add a shortcut. The mobile site still has most recent sorting.

Unless you like posting photos, in which case good luck. It's almost bad enough to make me install the app again, but I've settled for just not bothering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I post pictures all the time using the mobile site, what about it doesn't work well for you?

Every now and again I'll try out the app and always end up back with the mobile site

The only thing I'm missing is the share target direct from other apps