Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Fiedler posted:

Microsoft does the same poo poo -- Windows code was ported for Office on Mac and, in the case of SQL Server on Linux, they just shipped the Windows dlls.

no NO, dont you see? apple and sir jony ive are turning macOS into iOS .. see? take a look at this fan mockup :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
they also use fans to remove heat from computers. crapple a sinking ship

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fiedler posted:

Microsoft does the same poo poo -- Windows code was ported for Office on Mac and, in the case of SQL Server on Linux, they just shipped the Windows dlls.

its not really the same though cause itunes shipped the slow bad UI from osx for no reason other than to make sure itunes performed poorly across all platforms. they could have used the OS widgets as office does, but they decided not to.

in addition office has so much VBA related code that the mac version would suffer without porting that stuff. wrt sql server: shipping binaries that are platform independent seems like a very reasonable approach.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

whoa

I mean it makes sense but now “planned obsolescence” people have a much stronger argument

seems like they're doing the opposite and attempting to squeeze even more life out of the phone but yeah it would have been nice if they'd been more open about this

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Shaggar posted:

wrt sql server: shipping binaries that are platform independent seems like a very reasonable approach.
If by "platform independent" you mean "depend on Win32 and NT syscalls," then yes.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
oh look, the internet has discovered device lifecycle management. I’m sure they won’t jump to conclusions.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

it's $1 to find out if a new battery would make your phone work gooder

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

oh look, the internet has discovered device lifecycle management. I’m sure they won’t jump to conclusions.

it's actually FORCED OBSELESCENCE!!!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shaggar posted:

they could have used the OS widgets as office does

does it? they sure go to great lengths to hide it. i can't remember the last version of office that looked or behaved like any other application on any platform

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Shaggar posted:

its not really the same though cause itunes shipped the slow bad UI from osx for no reason other than to make sure itunes performed poorly across all platforms. they could have used the OS widgets as office does, but they decided not to.

in addition office has so much VBA related code that the mac version would suffer without porting that stuff. wrt sql server: shipping binaries that are platform independent seems like a very reasonable approach.

if you destroy all VBA code in office you will get a better product, actually

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i'm the person pissed off about paying a buck to tell them that they need to spend two hundred bucks or whatever on a replacement battery

couldn't you just read off the cycle count, aren't there free apps that will tell you that

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
help, I can’t tell if my phone is running slower. how can I pay money to know if I should be worried about something that I can’t notice?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

does it throttle when its being charged

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Last Chance posted:

does it throttle when its being charged

my 6s is throttled even at 100% charge while plugged in

The Management posted:

help, I can’t tell if my phone is running slower. how can I pay money to know if I should be worried about something that I can’t notice?

i think my phone is slow and it annoys me and i think it used to be faster. is it because of:

1. the battery is wearing out
2. ios 11 hosed it over
3. i'm just imagining things and it was actually always this slow

before benchmarking it i assumed it was #3

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what are you using for a baseline comparison?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

geekbench has baseline numbers published for each model, and i'm assuming there's no other reason to not be hitting those on an idle device with cool ambient temperatures

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
was the 6s the one that had two different cpu suppliers with different performance characteristics?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i put an ifixit replacement battery earlier this year in my black stevephone5 and it runs like new

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'd be all for that but i absolutely don't trust random li-ion from god knows what knock-off manufacturer not to just explode

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

infernal machines posted:

i'd be all for that but i absolutely don't trust random li-ion from god knows what knock-off manufacturer not to just explode

ifixit stuff is well sourced

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

This loving SHITBAR

Doesn't even work with the poo poo it's supposed to work with, playing tunes in Apple flagship software iTunes, the play/pause button doesn't do anything most of the time

What a loving failure of an "innovation", it's the 2013 Mac Pro of keyboards

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

no NO, dont you see? apple and sir jony ive are turning macOS into iOS .. see? take a look at this fan mockup :smug:

you seem really hell bent on assuming that I thought that mock-up was real (or from Apple), and that Photos.app is totally not iOS-like despite multiple reviewers saying otherwise and using UIKit stuff ported to AppKit instead of just using the AppKit equivalent because reasons.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
face id is great

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

for a clown

at the circus

although then all the other clowns can unlock your phone

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
im not asian tho

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

My dad made a VBA program like 10 years ago that's directly responsible for optimizing over a billion dollars a year in gasoline blending operations at the refinery he works at taking into account tanks, barges, daily unit performance, market prices of intermediates, etc. Its core depends on Solver. The only programming language he knows is VB6 and he recently called me to ask how to split a string. If he dies suddenly they're hosed and people like Honeywell who are supposed to be the experts in these kinds of things have nothing suitable to replace it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

this is the vast majority of engineering/industrial process solutions, because by and large, engineers are not programmers, and have no interest in being programmers

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

this is the vast majority of engineering/industrial process solutions, because by and large, engineers are not programmers, and have no interest in being programmers

its a lot of big corporate environs, too. the number of things that rely on a hacky xlsx with questionable vba pulling in data is continuously impressive to me. i think my current team is the first one not to have a 15 year old document managing part of it at any given time

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

graph posted:

i put an ifixit replacement battery earlier this year in my black stevephone5 and it runs like new
I did the same thing in my 5S :unsmith:

then I updated to iOS 11 and battery life got worse than it ever was :smith:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

its a lot of big corporate environs, too. the number of things that rely on a hacky xlsx with questionable vba pulling in data is continuously impressive to me. i think my current team is the first one not to have a 15 year old document managing part of it at any given time

one of my clients does market research for real estate development for very large property development and investment funds, their core data processing is done by a combination of scripted screen-scraping that only works in a specific version of IE and an absolutely massive set of excel files that use vba to pull the data and distribute it to the various worksheets for analysis

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Agile Vector posted:

my old job has a magic spreadsheet a qa-er made to automate a lot of build because it was too hard and confusing for even our own implementers to do right and nobody could get budget to just make it easier in the system with dev work.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

one of my clients does market research for real estate development for very large property development and investment funds, their core data processing is done by a combination of scripted screen-scraping that only works in a specific version of IE and an absolutely massive set of excel files that use vba to pull the data and distribute it to the various worksheets for analysis
this is the entire benefits side of veterans affairs

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

KyloWinter posted:

im not asian tho

wow, racist

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

emoji posted:

My dad made a VBA program like 10 years ago that's directly responsible for optimizing over a billion dollars a year in gasoline blending operations at the refinery he works at taking into account tanks, barges, daily unit performance, market prices of intermediates, etc. Its core depends on Solver. The only programming language he knows is VB6 and he recently called me to ask how to split a string. If he dies suddenly they're hosed and people like Honeywell who are supposed to be the experts in these kinds of things have nothing suitable to replace it

sounds like you could make bank as a consultant when dad retires

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

emoji posted:

AspenTech sells gas blending software for this. Don't talk to Honeywell. They're clowns.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

ufarn posted:

the charts here are pretty crazy, and we have a pretty good idea of what performance degradation looks like

https://twitter.com/jfpoole/status/942786620746620930

A new iphone comes out every year though, so why would you have one more than a year old? idgi

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i had a process for updating some configurations files that involved a macro in excel, some perl and a java program. i made it myself i don't remember why i used both perl and java, probebly because the vba thing output csv and "perl is good with text?"

this was definitely back when i reinvented every wheel i could get my hands on

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i once worked on a tool that relied on VBA (not vb6!) to query an oracle DB and output word documents

i was tasked with porting it to mysql. which meant "optimizing" all of the oracle queries to fit inside 256 characters, the maximum string length you could pass into VBA from outside.

oracle managed this by having a materialized view specially created for the tool. on mysql... well... i did a lot of "select i1,i2 from t1,t2"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

nah VBA is critically important and its one reason office competitors are a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that is true and also :negative: