Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wow, the realism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Bayonnefrog posted:

Admit it: we're all just here scrolling through hundreds of posts for these hilarious twitch Crytek legal team follows.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The Titanic posted:

Comedy option is they respond back telling them they filed suit with the wrong company.

Cue Skadden going “oh… so you're saying that F42, F42 Frankfurt, CIG Austin, and CIG LA are making these two games, not the license holder RSI (or whatever), which is the one we contacted? Cha-ching, eight copyright infringements in one — thank you for clearing that one up. Oh, they're sub-licensing from RSI you say? Well, that makes it sixteen counts instead… any other companies you'd like to mention?” :D

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tippis posted:

Cue Skadden going “oh… so you're saying that F42, F42 Frankfurt, CIG Austin, and CIG LA are making these two games, not the license holder RSI (or whatever), which is the one we contacted? Cha-ching, eight copyright infringements in one — thank you for clearing that one up. Oh, they're sub-licensing from RSI you say? Well, that makes it sixteen counts instead… any other companies you'd like to mention?” :D

It won't but I really hope it does

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

ManofManyAliases posted:

- Game is still in development
- 400+ people can't all be wrong
- It was a pledge God drat-it.

- :negative:

Hitler and Trump both got more than 400 votes.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It won't but I really hope it does

Stop hating on my dream of exponentially recursive self-ownage, you meanie. :(

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

The game that will save pc gaming. Now with 34 likes.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Hitler and Trump both got more than 400 votes.

Yeah, but his point was that 400+ people couldn't be wrong, which really misunderstands both probability and numbers at scale.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
We’re rapidly approaching the point where these mentally stunted people will have nothing left to hide behind.

Just kidding, the delusions will never end, and Shitizens will never, ever, ever admit they were wrong.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Know what's funny, I called all this over two years ago.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SCO's law firms were;

http://www.hjdlaw.com/
& https://www.bsfllp.com/

If you want to compare the complaint; http://groklaw.net/pdf/IBM-835-Exhibit_1.pdf

It's 36 pages long and take a good five pages to actually make the complaint. It's a copyright claim based on code, rather than a breach of contract.

Where this eventually collapsed was the settlement between USL and BSD was located, and the whole question on 'infringing code' was covered under a third party agreement.

The full case also encompasses SCO vs NOVELL and the eventual collapse of the company into a patent farm.

A spiny arsehole is no fun.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

TheAgent posted:

lol

organized resistance

motherfucker please

Didn't you know, during WW2 the Nazis were defeated in France by local resistance groups laughing incessantly at their gently caress-ups and own goals.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Gonna quote the poo poo out of this in 2018

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
Cut to 30 minutes before holiday livestream kicks off:

"Guys we need to shut it all down! An emergency injunction came through preventing us from showing any in-game footage from Squadron 42! We're going to have to act every scene out live on camera! Is there an actress in the house? Anyone?"

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Hey it's the original auditor!

quote:

As I said I work as an auditor but my journey began with studying sciences (PhD in biology field: immunology, virology, genetics and cell biology, second field physics). That is very important if it comes to my work as an auditor and how I evaluate data and to the casa DS vs. SC: Normally to analyse a (scientific) publication, a statement, contract or anything else written I copy it over to MSword and perform the following process: First I delete every filler sentence and every personal statement. Like: “I am Derek Smart”, or “this is all bullshit”. Then I mark all the data which is stated as a fact but without any proof or real strong evidence provided by the author. I also use a different colour for info that could be proofed if the corresponding source and raw data would be provided.

What is left is normally called facts. The above mentioned info I call “second degree facts”. This can also be a “scientific” discussion with sources and everything or a good written accusation with enough data to back them up. The problem with Derek Smart’s blogs are, if you follow this process, there are close to zero facts and only a very few second degree facts, but all of them without any merit concerning consumer fraud or something like that. To be honest I was really surprised and I tried to reach out to him. I wrote there as “Marcel Jackson” because I didn’t want to step in the open. That changed and I will explain it to you shortly. As you know he claims that the TOS for SC that was active during the kickstarter campaign would entitle backer for a refund after 12 month. But that TOS wasn’t active during the kickstarter campaign and the now legitimate active TOS states 18 month.

After he couldn’t argue any more he just wrote: “The TOS is cumulative”. Something he tried to ignore since I engaged him. No need for a further answer from my side at this point.
This is only an example but it is typical for all his argumentation. He is simply circling around and just writes more and more, but without any proof at all. But he wouldn’t be recognised as one of the ,,best” internet trolls if circlejerking was his only approach. The following bullet points should explain this more clearly to you:

Endless accusations: Within his endless posts he sometimes writes something what turns out to be (half-) true in the end, but that would be same approach like I would starting to throw dozens of accusations at you and not stopping until you just give up to counter these accusations.

Suing everyone The second element is, that if you answer and try to fight those accusations he threatens you with a lawsuit. And if he has the info he also threatens you to include your whole family (at least your husband or wife) in this lawsuit.

Blocking everyone Normally he is only fighting on his own terms. He just bans you, blocks you or deletes your post whenever he has the rights to do so. His recent appearance on reddit is just due to the FOIA. He knew that he had to act and so he reached out. That ended in mocking Mr. Knight regarding his mental illness and his defamation approach that Mr. Knight conducted sexual harassment.

Cloning himself Normally he creates some alt accounts and starts talking with himself, especially if he loses too much ground.

More secondary theatres of war please This is a speciality of Derek Smart. Just imagine you go to a coiffeur and he tells you something that he learned his craftsmanship from the famous Derek Smart, but it turns out that this might be wrong or a misunderstanding (perhaps he said Gerrit Smant, who knows?) but he cuts like Edward Scissorhands and everyone is jealous of your haircut.

Sure that lie was unnecessary but by any means no harm was done. Sandi might have lied about her ULCA degree or not, but she did a drat good job selling spaceship concepts to backers. And by all means, this has nothing to do with consumer fraud or stealing money from backers. She might be married to CR or not, but it is totally irrelevant to the case.

What I as a backer want is two real good games (SC and SQ42). I couldn’t care less who married who, which drat certificate someone has in his or her pockets or if the payed some pizza from “backer money” (every employee including the CEO gets payed, but what do I know about the gaming industry…).

I would care if the steal money from me or if they wouldn’t develop the games they promised, but there is not only one single solid and or conclusive evidence for this. Only hearsay and that’s it. No proof, no evidence, nothing. Put this all together mix it add some superb writing skills and you have Derek Smart’s blueprint for an internet war. Sure there is more to it. He also adds some sources to his accusations. Most of them just circling back to other blogs or posts from him or they are just plain unrelated or without any merit to the case in question. An example for this would be the discussion with “Ben” (interstellar breach blog). Ben just showed him real sophisticated that the FTC would not investigate CIG. Derek Smart’s ultimate answer:

He just linked to the webpages, wikis and whatnot regarding the FTC and the processes they are involved in. But he didn’t prove or gave an explanation why CIG should be a target of legal investigation by a regulatory authority (beside his personal opinion). Just imagine you ask a police officer or judge why the suspect is guilty of bank robbing and he answers you with a link to a wiki page that explains what bank robbing is.

This is now going on since the 07-07-2015 if I am right with the date of his first blog, cannot even bother to look this up. So why am I writing you and expose me and my family to this man? Because I think you can make a difference. You promised to look into this case from an objective standpoint and although I have enough experience with my 20 years regarding internet, blogs and forums to know that this could just turn out to be a clickbait, I just want you to proof that investigative journalism isn’t dead (yeah I know it is a youtube channel but hey take this as a compliment).

Therefor I could write and link and discuss 20 pages more, but I just ask you this: You have a daughter with autism if I am not mistaken. You have a family a job and friends. Imagine you would find something what invalidates Derek Smart’s accusations about CIG and SC and you would start to post this on the internet. Or you would find out, that his game on steam is just scam. If you would make this public, how would you feel if he attacks you and your family (he proved that he would do this) threaten your life, your career, threaten to sue you, claim that you sexually harassed someone, call you a nutcase, social misfit, idiot, says that your company is guilty of consumer fraud, that you steal money from your customers and threaten your employees?

Wouldn’t you want that someone steps up with the courage and the immunity to stop him? That is why I stepped into the light. I think we as a gamer community have to draw a line. Thank you for your attention.
Regards

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

hot balls man no homo posted:

"Guys we need to shut it all down! An emergency injunction came through preventing us from showing any in-game footage from Squadron 42! We're going to have to act every scene out live on camera! Is there an actress in the house? Anyone?"

No problem. Ben has acted, and I'm sure you could drape a couple of sown-together sheets around him and claim it was a skirt or something.
Et voilà, instant actress.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
I am adding these to https://starcitizentracker.github.io:

Claim land Not implemented (1,2,3)
"This certificate entitles the bearer to claim a single piece of UEE declared territory"

Flashfire specialty mount Broken (1,2)
"Want some bigger bang for your credit… literally? Flashfire Systems is proud to offer a new selection of ‘special mission’ VariPuck weapon mounts designed to provide additional handling capacity on specifically designated single-seater spacecraft. These carefully designed mounts will transform larger hardpoints on the Hornet and Cutlass-class platforms to allow them to attach large weaponry"

Clothing physics Completed (1,2)
"It's not set in stone yet, we will definitely be getting simulated clothing eventually"

Female player character Stagnant (1,2)
:females:

No publisher Completed (1)
"We, the Star Citizen team at Cloud Imperium, hereby promise to deliver the game you expect. You, the tens of thousands of pledgers, have allowed us to cut out the big publisher and build the game on our terms."

I wrote a script to generate a post with any changes.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

You know this is the excuse they are gonna use when yet again they don't have anything to show for S42. The solution? Buy more ships!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Man, this was Matilda from 2 years ago. This really takes me back:

quote:

+SidAlpha Hello, I stumbled over your youtube channel and I maybe can add some real information regarding your question about the FOIA. Like you can see on my profile I am an auditor currently working for the TÜV in Germany. My department is monitoring companies producing medical devices (including software) and also investigating if anything unusual is going on (consumer fraud, fakes, CE mark misuse and so on). My company is working closely with governments, attorneys, lawyers and agencies all over the world. The entire portfolio of my company consists of more than 100 services in nearly every industry you can think of. So I reached out to my colleagues in the US and I had some interesting talk about how the FTC including FOIA works. So let’s get to the FTC question first, it is the most easy to answer: Like I assumed because Derek Smart informed the company in question and publish all his accusations openly on the internet there won’t be a secret investigation. This is no murder case. If there was any evidence that they could get rid of it is long gone. Someone like Derek Smart ruins 99% of all cases by his own actions. We really love them! In those cases the agencies normally do one thing: They act fast and hard. Immediately arresting and questioning suspects, confiscating each and every piece of data. Needless to say that this hasn’t been performed until now.
Moreover: CIG knows that they might face an investigation - since July! Think about this fact. Even if they wouldn’t know what evidence Mr. Smart has or has not, they would be completely stupid to not erase any trace - or cover it up - for any illegal act they performed. They had more time than I would need to cover up 5 cases like that. So you really think the FTC just sits there and waits until everything is gone? And there is no criminal act I can think of that would take three month of investigation in such an easy an open case if you have such strong evidence provided by a concerned citizen. If any evidence of such crimes exist and Derek Smart has gained access to this evidence he could sue them directly. No investigation through the FTC needed. No demand letter needed, no second demand letter needed. Game over. That also counts for each and every employee or former employee. Think about why should they go to Derek Smart and not contact a lawyer, the police or the FTC directly?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

this just ought to be the thread title

also thanks

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7knx5a/so_is_this_hole_reddit_going_to_ignore_the_obvious/?st=jbcqpaen&sh=4d9988fc

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
We are live!

https://www.facebook.com/GameTalkLive/videos/2079980148897050/?notif_id=1513629020719361&notif_t=live_video_schedule_broadcaster

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Combat Theory posted:

Gonna quote the poo poo out of this in 2018

It's probably the most reposted gif in the thread(s). I made it in the halcyon days of like.... 2016? To make fun of poo poo that the still faithful were saying in the thread.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

He's really suggesting that obstruction of justice is the best track. I love him.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Whatever happened to this guy?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

Hey it's the original auditor!

Sarsapariller posted:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I like that two entirely separate people go, 'naw, brah, that's harassment'.

"If you have questions regarding my trustworthiness, Wulf is now named as my accessory"

Edit: And one loving final thing. If, as a games journalist, you don't know the name of Derek 'Notorious' Smart, I'd be scared and a little worried. It's like people not knowing about other forces of nature, like Syphilis or Volcanos.

Edit2: I have Bootcha's lamp.

Hav fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 18, 2017

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Yay, Boocha's on the show!

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
:suspense:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

"When you give money to a religious cult....." niiiiiiiicccceee

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
So is one of these guys supposed to be the Pro-Star Citizen guy?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Don't think they managed to find one, lol

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nah, it's a hatchet job by goons. Evil, evil goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug

Goredema posted:

This is what I get for leaving the thread for a year or two; I thought the Fourth Stimpire Manifesto was the July Blog. :shrug:

One was written by a sadist. The other can only be read by sadists.