Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Pollyanna posted:

I don’t put it past this game to have a pointless system.

Well it is effectively pointless since your chance of pulling a rare only gets lower as you collect them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I killed a big dog named Sad Bernard so I am pro-dumb name

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Lets make “dumplings” with Vess.

If the max level dumplings were some next level poo poo that gave you +3 special recharge and +1 arts recharge I would seriously grind that poo poo. Of course that's not the case at all.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Grind stuff like Vess' dumplings and Ursula's mission feel like a glitch that hosed up a decimal place or something.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
If I ever get Floren, Ursula or KOS-MOS it'll be a christmas miracle.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
loving hell, finally beat Jimmy despite being like 12 levels above him. That null healing is too much for my team.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Tae posted:

loving hell, finally beat Jimmy despite being like 12 levels above him. That null healing is too much for my team.

Head back to Uraya and fight Azure Reginald now! He's only level 41!

Don't.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
There's a unique boss that's basically a level 100 Jin. It's actually worse than a level 130 unique boss.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Grind stuff like Vess' dumplings and Ursula's mission feel like a glitch that hosed up a decimal place or something.

Even Pyras cooking which requires half as much cooking as Vess is completely mindbogglingly complicated and so far to me pointless to interact with.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What about 4k blade switches on Pyra? I played in a way where I did very little blade switching. I won't hit 4k anytime soon.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You can literally just switch after every single attack.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

You can literally just switch after every single attack.

Oh, so switches betwen Pyra itself count? I believe you can actually switch those as many times as you want in battle. I thought only switches between other blades with cooldowns counted.

Still a pretty dumb number.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

tap my mountain posted:

Well it is effectively pointless since your chance of pulling a rare only gets lower as you collect them

I hate this, because a less bullshit system would've been to make it so if you roll a 'rare' you get a rare, until you have them all, then you start getting 3-4 star (or even maybe a 5 star) generic blade instead, since those can be on par with rare blades, or better, depending on their skills.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
in extremely f/go thread voice just let people replay the whole game until they get their first rare core, then delete their data and do it again if they don't like this

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dang this scene where everyone breaks out of prison sure takes a simple solution and complicates it by needlessly addressing every possible contingency, making the cutscene at least twice as long as needed. Gah.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The number of times I have accidentally skipped a cutscene in this game is infuriating.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

The number of times I have accidentally skipped a cutscene in this game is infuriating.

How?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The secret true good ending

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can only assume he did a party wipe with his sliver of HP right after the chain attack ended

For some more fun, go to the end of cliffs of morytha. that is the real end boss of the game.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

nerdz posted:

I can only assume he did a party wipe with his sliver of HP right after the chain attack ended

For some more fun, go to the end of cliffs of morytha. that is the real end boss of the game.

I mashed every arts button to take out that last sliver. I've already made one attempt at artifice ophion and it whooped my rear end because I'm only level 76.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Doing more than 1 sidequest is exhausting in this game. It almost makes me nostalgic for the lovely short fetch quests in XB1.

Also, someone needs to do a compilation of all the free unique blades you get from story and sidequests.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

brand engager posted:

I mashed every arts button to take out that last sliver. I've already made one attempt at artifice ophion and it whooped my rear end because I'm only level 76.

the non unique dinosaurs at temperantia aren't that hard to deal with and they will grant a full level or two each until you are 97 or so. make sure you only chain attack at the very end of their HP for the Overkill XP bonuses.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dagas wants me to head to some place in Leftharia but I can't find it and the only heart to heart icon on the map screen isn't there as far as I can tell. I saw some people talking about this jerk so hopefully I can get a idea on what I'm doing wrong?

Tighran
Jun 28, 2004
So maybe (probably) I am just crap at this game, but I'm sort of stuck and getting frustrated. So I'm kind of pissed and a bit ranty but here's my problem:

I'm still quite early on and I have to rescue Nia or whatever the catgirl is and to do that I have to get the stupid Nopon's robot working and to do that I need to get parts and to do that I have to find the guys who are loving up this town's crane.

The issue is this... I die all the drat time. I'm about level 12 or so, and almost everything kills me. The level 8 Driver chilling near the town entrance kills me if I fight him. The crabs that come up when I try to salvage sometimes kill me (if there's like 3 of them). Going out into the field, the three level 8ish Volffs near my objective will aggro and kill me. If I sneak by them the two level 10 bird people I need to fight kill me. The level 7 rabbits in the field won't kill me (unless a level 17 bird or a level 80 supermob show up and kill me, which happens pretty frequently), but grinding them seems pretty ineffective. They don't give enough exp to level up, and I gather sp and wp at a snail's pace (and I already cashed in my bonus exp at the inn).

So am I missing something important like conjuring some better Blade, or do I just need to get better at combat? The in-game explanations are kind of crap, but I think I've got a basic handle on using Driver Arts or whatever until my Special charges, and using that. The Special combos are still a bit weird to me but since I only have one playable character that doesn't seem like a big deal. As far as I can tell the combat boils down to boosting your damage beyond your auto attack as much as possible using arts and poo poo until you run out of hp since healing isn't really much of a thing, which sort of seems like a crappy system to me (I also didn't really like combat in Xenoblade X very much and never finished that as a result... sort of assumed combat in this would be closer to Chronicles 1 but I guess not).

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just stick with the main story until you get all 3 party members. Trying to solo poo poo early on is a waste of time

Tighran
Jun 28, 2004
Unless I greatly misunderstood something, this is a story quest. Just a very convoluted one. (Well, not by anime standards.)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They just don't bother balancing enemies for your early plot-limited party like Colony 9 did in Xenoblade 1. Once you get a 3-man party battles go way faster.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tighran posted:

Unless I greatly misunderstood something, this is a story quest. Just a very convoluted one. (Well, not by anime standards.)

The crane is a sidequest, not main quest.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Even having a second party member is a big boost, especially considering they are a tank.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

nerdz posted:

EDIT: You can also hold R and press A or Y to cycle through enemies.

Holy poo poo! I've been trying figure this out for 50 hours

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Dagas wants me to head to some place in Leftharia but I can't find it and the only heart to heart icon on the map screen isn't there as far as I can tell. I saw some people talking about this jerk so hopefully I can get a idea on what I'm doing wrong?

It should be just past the end of the left pathway through the clouds

Tighran
Jun 28, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

The crane is a sidequest, not main quest.

Dang, really? I thought I needed to do it to activate Roboto-chan to go save Catgirl-sama. Guess I'll poke around the Quests menu a bit more.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Partway through Chapter 8 now. :allears:

Hahaha what the hell is this new form. This is facemeltingly overpowered and it owns. All it loving took was a power-up, a less repetitive and tedious dungeon, and being able to fully use my party to make the combat good again - who knew?

That's why everybody said not to put Blades on Rex. Well poo poo. I hope they give us all like 99 overdrives as compensation at some point.

As soon as I saw the word "Mizar" pop up, I knew some Sephiroth bullshit was going down. I've played enough Shin Megami Tensei to know where this is going.

The story is ridiculous but not in the fun way, just the eyerollingly stupid way. Not as interesting as 1 and definitely not as intriguing as X.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'll never understand people who like X's story.

Like you start the game and there's a cutscene of you joining BLADE then literally *nothing* happens for the entire game until the last 30 minutes with some of the most terribly boring characters to ever grace a video game. Then it ends going on a hilariously pointless cliffhanger and just man what even was that.

It was alright but by far the weakest of the trio

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Tighran posted:

Dang, really? I thought I needed to do it to activate Roboto-chan to go save Catgirl-sama. Guess I'll poke around the Quests menu a bit more.

I would highly recommend just doing the story until you have 4 party members. Your access and money will be at a point where doing sidequest won't be too hard.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Floren is a boy?????????????

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'll never understand people who like X's story.

Like you start the game and there's a cutscene of you joining BLADE then literally *nothing* happens for the entire game until the last 30 minutes with some of the most terribly boring characters to ever grace a video game. Then it ends going on a hilariously pointless cliffhanger and just man what even was that.

It was alright but by far the weakest of the trio

Sounds like Skyrim's story to me :shrug: I was more interested in the world and sidequests in X, though the idea of robots trying to recreate human culture and areas on some backwater planet they got shot down onto after Earth was destroyed is just more interesting than Technofantasy Narrative #837.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Floren is a boy?????????????

Yep! I was wondering why he was so underpowered with the accessory that boosts damage for blade of the opposite gender, and then sorted by gender :aaa:

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Pollyanna posted:

Partway through Chapter 8 now. :allears:

Hahaha what the hell is this new form. This is facemeltingly overpowered and it owns. All it loving took was a power-up, a less repetitive and tedious dungeon, and being able to fully use my party to make the combat good again - who knew?

That's why everybody said not to put Blades on Rex. Well poo poo. I hope they give us all like 99 overdrives as compensation at some point.

As soon as I saw the word "Mizar" pop up, I knew some Sephiroth bullshit was going down. I've played enough Shin Megami Tensei to know where this is going.

The story is ridiculous but not in the fun way, just the eyerollingly stupid way. Not as interesting as 1 and definitely not as intriguing as X.

I felt the same way at that point in the game but the story goes a long way towards redeeming itself right up until the post credits where it gets real dumb again. oh hey let's completely undo an impactful and emotionally well done sacrifice so the protagonist can have his anime waifu harem

Basically this game is the ur-jrpg containing literally everything good and everything terrible about the genre.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Leathal posted:

I felt the same way at that point in the game but the story goes a long way towards redeeming itself right up until the post credits where it gets real dumb again. oh hey let's completely undo an impactful and emotionally well done sacrifice so the protagonist can have his anime waifu harem

Basically this game is the ur-jrpg containing literally everything good and everything terrible about the genre.

Also lets make it worse by splitting Pyra and Mythra into separate people which is such a mindbogglingly dumb thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Opened my first legendary core and got a generic :lol: