Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Derek is probably hoping everyone has forgotten his complete and total failure to report in for goon de yadda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Calling it now

CIG will sell their biggest and most expensive ship to date for the holiday stream

They'll take in over 5 million before December is over

Also they will forget to respond to the lawsuit in classic CIG mismanagement

I mean they haven't filed their taxes on time in 5 years why would they do anything else speedily ?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Dusty Lens posted:

You have to work extremely hard to make landing a buggy that you ramped off of a spaceship parked over a moon into a dull and painful affair.

I thought they were all buggy landings.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Spiderdrake posted:

Also we all know they'd be terrified to go on livestream with you. You are their literal Satan.

Yeah, pretty much

quote:

It's really loving funny that in the video the "why no balanced panel?" comes up right after all three of you said the space doors and other spending are at their discretion. Oh man, so negative! Claiming the studio should have its own agency on its spending!

hehe yeah, that was hilarious, wasn't it?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dusty Lens posted:

Derek is probably hoping everyone has forgotten his complete and total failure to report in for goon de yadda.

:negative:

----------------

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Spiderdrake posted:

It's really loving funny that in the video the "why no balanced panel?" comes up right after all three of you said the space doors and other spending are at their discretion. Oh man, so negative! Claiming the studio should have its own agency on its spending!

The poo poo that bothers me about the "balanced" bitching, and this goes for more than just Star Citizen, is that "balance" is constantly misconstrued to reflect that if a story has 2 sides, then those sides must receive equal time, even when one side is batshit insane.

A balanced discussion of Star Citizen of say 4 people, would have all 4 thinking it's cool in 2013, 1 questioning it and 3 backing it in 2014, 2 vs. 2 in 2015, 1 backer and 3 skeptics, in 2016, and 4 people knowing damned well it's bullshit in 2017. That's what balance is - a proportional reflection of reality, not a constant reassertion of people's egos and the reinforcement of the belief that "all opinions are equally valid."

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

XK posted:

I thought they were all buggy landings.

:thurman:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

The poo poo that bothers me about the "balanced" bitching, and this goes for more than just Star Citizen, is that "balance" is constantly misconstrued to reflect that if a story has 2 sides, then those sides must receive equal time, even when one side is batshit insane.

A balanced discussion of Star Citizen of say 4 people, would have all 4 thinking it's cool in 2013, 1 questioning it and 3 backing it in 2014, 2 vs. 2 in 2015, 1 backer and 3 skeptics, in 2016, and 4 people knowing damned well it's bullshit in 2017. That's what balance is - a proportional reflection of reality, not a constant reassertion of people's egos and the reinforcement of the belief that "all opinions are equally valid."

:same:

----------------

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Regrettable posted:

Odd how they never seem to ask for balanced discussion when everything being said is positive.

GetouttaherewiththatFUD!

“Shigeru Miyamoto once said...”

Also— on the predictions front, I just know that they’ll end with the funding tracker doing its part to cement the narrative of sustained demand and good times ahead for the psychological stabilization of the whale population. They already made the miraculous jump with the prior sale — after a middling year, and this despite a solid, sustained year of releasing absolutely nothing.

Meanwhile, in the real world, Chris’s year ends abysmally. Whereas once skepticism about the project was limited to isolated corners and policed via hive mind frenzies and draconian moderation in official channels, skepticism has gone mainstream. In such a climate, after such a year, the funding tracker switches from asset to liability.

“Over $175 million and it’s stuck in Alpha at 13 FPS?! I hate to say it but maybe that Derek Smart bastard had a point.”

The Coutts loan, Crytek lawsuit and recent refund frustration stories only further reinforce the common-sense conclusion for mainstream gamers that the game is in development hell / a scam / imploding. After the Battlefront 2 microtransaction internet and media blowup, Chris Roberts recent announcement of chances to spend $50 to $100 on a concept pitch for a protection racket for space land in the year late and still unreleased 3.0 didn’t help much.

No matter what the tracker says, it’s been a dismal year of sustained, possibly critical brand damage, and it’s bad enough even the Zealots are starting to see it, even if they mistake the source.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 19, 2017

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.facebook.com/GameTalkLive/videos/2079980148897050/?notif_id=1513629020719361&notif_t=live_video_schedule_broadcaster

This needs to be on every page.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

D_Smart posted:

Also, FailureToReport who I also recommended, since he was a backer and has a unique insight, was confirmed. And minutes before we were to go live, he loving bailed. He had an "emergency". Leaving the hosts scrambling to find a replacement (which was Kevin) in less than 15 mins! Which is why we started late.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/942901625227829248

“FailureToReport? Username checks out.”

“FailureToReport? More like FailureToRetort, amirite?”

Just joshing. It didn’t matter because Kevin was a really great addition.

Henry Scorpio
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe it just collapsed on its own?

TheAgent posted:

they actually have the entire turkish government bankrolling them now

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/55627/crytek-receive-500m-investment-turkish-gov/index.html

so yeah, no, crytek isn't hurting for money.

at all

Was chatting with an attorney friend this weekend about the Star Citizen suit. He was amused that the internet thought that Skadden would work on contingency.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Dusty Lens posted:

FailureToReport?

More like, failure to report. :smuggo:

add another scalp for skadden.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
Can Derek sue FTR now for failing to honor his contractual obligations?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Combat Theory posted:

Also seems like i have finally managed to find a fitting theme song (apart from EWEs masterpieces)

Crytek wants it all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFDcoX7s6rE

Listen all you people, come gather round
I gotta get me a game plan, gotta shake you to the ground
Just give me what I know is mine
People, do you hear me, just give me the sign

It ain't much I'm asking, if you want the truth
Here's to the future for the dreams of youth

this is my rubbing anthem

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
holy poo poo people on sc_trades are trying to sell things at 20% to 25% below their value and they aren't moving at al lol

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

Has CIG hired a firm to defend the Crytek suit?

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

TheAgent posted:

holy poo poo people on sc_trades are trying to sell things at 20% to 25% below their value and they aren't moving at al lol

It will be interesting to see that market crash.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Taco Duck posted:

Has CIG hired a firm to defend the Crytek suit?
They are going to have to. I can't see Ortwin trying to defend this himself or with anyone in-house.

They're going to need a top tier firm to battle this.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

TheAgent posted:

All those new Ships need fresh cash. How is CIG ever going to pay lawyers to ensure the future of in-fidelity?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

TheAgent posted:

Well who wants to buy things from the milspec and unparallelled eras when you can buy into the punches above its weight?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

TheAgent posted:

They are also referring people to the refunds sub hahaha

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Dusty Lens posted:

If he did report in, he'd likely need a part where others come after him, which he interrupts with 'LET ME loving FINISH!'

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Looks like they dumped out 3.0.0ao

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/4/thread/star-citizen-alpha-3-0-0ao-ptu-691578-patch-notes

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Now or never.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

so i figured it was time i did some sort of effortpost given that i've been following this shitshow on and off since it started. this is less a post for true FUD-sippers, and more one as a response to all the people who have said 'well yeah its a scam now, but you guys have been calling it a scam for years, even when it was a legit game'.

This is how we knew it was a scam from very early on

So picture this. You know a guy, he's an architect. He's built pretty decent buildings in the past. He tells you that now he's going to build a mile tall tower. 'Ok', you think, 'I wanna see that. It's going to take some clever engineering to pull that off'.

At this point he's promising something that sounds difficult, but still within the bounds of what reality might permit. People are getting close to mile tall buildings, the limiting factors are mainly the cash cost and needing the right site to build it on.

Then the details start to leak out. How he's planning to make this building. 'It's going to be made of bricks and mortar,' he says, 'With a floor plan of 10 feet by 10 feet.'

At this point the jig is up. That's not happening. A mile tall building is possible, but not like that it isn't. But people who don't understand how buildings work at all are still suckered in by it.

That's what happened with star citizen. It seems like the average (non-paid) true believer is weirdly ignorant of how games work. I've seen a ton of posts from shitizens about how 'I've not played a game since ninteen-dickety, but I'm coming back for star citizen and I've bet the farm on it.'. If these people had kept up with games technology at all they would have smelled a scam from a mile away.

Now I'm not a game dev, but I've played a shitload of games, and modded a shitload of games. You come, over time, to see how things work, see where the shortcuts are to make it all work. You get to understand the tradeoff games have to make to deliver their core gameplay at reasonable performance. You also gain familiarity with the strengths of the major engines, as these days there just aren't that many.

But Chris Roberts comes out and says 'No shortcuts! Vast scope! Sim level physics! Hundreds of concurrent players! Fast paced FPS style combat! Top notch graphics! Cryengine!'

Which sounds great, but is OBVIOUSLY NOT GOING TO WORK. If someone tries to sell you a truck and says it handles like a sports car and gets the mileage of a subcompact, you know it's a loving lie. But because so many people know so little about game development, and have been tricked by a guy who has presented himself as Space Game King Arthur, returned in gaming's time of need, they give him money. Lots of money.

So two things happen when a game has over-promised:

A) the scope of the game is drastically cut back to something plausible and people are disappointed.
B) development staggers along pursuing an impossible dream until it runs out of cash and burns out.

When Star Citizen was relatively new I figured that A would happen. The dumb poo poo would get cut, the shortcuts would be put in to allow the game to work, dumbasses would be disappointed, but we might get a space game out of it. And I do actually love space games. The whole reason I bought E:D was because a friend linked me to star citizen and it gave me a hankering to fly around in a ship. I would like star citizen to be a real game and have all the stuff its promised. That would be great.

But what really killed Star Citizen for me was the fact that they cut off path A to themselves. They started selling expanded scope as pledges and poo poo. Stretch goals are one thing, they can get cut or delayed, but when you've 1:1 said 'Pledge here to get a fucken electronic warfare ship' you've honor bound yourself to implement electronic warfare. Add to that the extremely predatory pricing of all that poo poo and it became clear that this was more than just an over-scoped, over-ambitious project.

It was, and is, a bare-faced scam.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Baxta posted:

They are also referring people to the refunds sub hahaha

So how are the streamers supposed to get paid if they can't sell their free ships for fair market value?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

They never promised anything!

https://www.scribd.com/document/367101474/Crytek-v-CIG

ctrl+f "promise"

Oh gently caress

XK fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 19, 2017

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

this is an apt comparison because like FTL drives, star citizen being completed is forbidden by the laws of reality

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

First implementation of persistence bed spawning will have numerous bugs and issues.

Moved free look and spacebrake away from left-alt prevent accidental game closing, Z is now default free look and caps-lock default spacebrake.

Players will also find random encounters scattered throughout the verse.

The visor should no longer lag slightly behind player motion.

Added law explanation journal entry and starmap journal entry to be given to the player when they first spawn into Stanton.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

juggalo baby coffin posted:

this is an apt comparison because like FTL drives, star citizen being completed is forbidden by the laws of reality

And SC is a cancer on the gaming industry.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

so i figured it was time i did some sort of effortpost given that i've been following this shitshow on and off since it started. this is less a post for true FUD-sippers, and more one as a response to all the people who have said 'well yeah its a scam now, but you guys have been calling it a scam for years, even when it was a legit game'.

This is how we knew it was a scam from very early on

Well. Not that early on.

Like the rings of a tree the age of hope can be counted in the number of those simply amazing pixel starships that were produced.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

TheAgent posted:

:tif:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I think I've taken ED : VR for granted and assumed everyone else can replicate the experience.

SC can just bolt on VR in 2 hours and call it a day. Don't worry.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

And SC is a cancer on the gaming industry.

lmao its gonna be the first ever cancer to eradicate itself

Dusty Lens posted:

Well. Not that early on.

Like the rings of a tree the age of hope can be counted in the number of those simply amazing pixel starships that were produced.

maybe I shoulda said 'I' because i was skeptical but hopeful. I've never given money to it though, i figured if it turned out to be real i would just buy it when it came out.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

First implementation of persistence bed spawning will have numerous bugs and issues.

What the hell is this?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

maybe I shoulda said 'I' because i was skeptical but hopeful. I've never given money to it though, i figured if it turned out to be real i would just buy it when it came out.

As memory serves the first SC thread was laughed into the gas chamber.

That was way before my time. I was probably helping people get LTI ships at the same time you were thinking that maybe this isn't gonna work out so hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dusty Lens posted:

Well. Not that early on.

That's a later Star Citizen thread.

Here's the original: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511398&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1