Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Dusty Lens posted:

As memory serves the first SC thread was laughed into the gas chamber.

Thank you! I wasn't able to find it so I went with the next best thing. That's much better.

Look at all those poor bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

no_recall posted:

One last one before the year ends.

Someone call how much the Christmas / ELE / Couttes Interest Repayment / Crytek Lawsuit / Year End - Sale Livestream Extravaganza is going to reap!

All guesses / prizes / donations will be taken in before Thursday.

A bunch of you don't have PM enabled so I still have a bunch of unclaimed keys, lets do this!

Buy a Starship!

2.7 million

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

TheAgent posted:

They are going to have to. I can't see Ortwin trying to defend this himself or with anyone in-house.

They're going to need a top tier firm to battle this.

In-House counsel don't and shouldn't defend the company in court. While they can, usually it's seen as improper as they can't be impartial enough. That is why if a case moves beyond arbitration you get outside counsel involved. In-house counsel then serves as the go between. When motions for discovery or the outside firm needs documents tracked down, etc. that is handled by the in-house counsel. Another reason is that you want outside counsel who are up on the latest letter of the law and techniques being used in trials. M

Source: My wife is in house counsel at a $2B company...

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
so I guess you gotta hold F now to do anything in your ship, but holding F is also the default "get out of your chair" keybind

lol

better than having free look be ALT and 3rd person be F4 I guess

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

In-House counsel don't and shouldn't defend the company in court. While they can, usually it's seen as improper as they can't be impartial enough. That is why if a case moves beyond arbitration you get outside counsel involved. In-house counsel then serves as the go between. When motions for discovery or the outside firm needs documents tracked down, etc. that is handled by the in-house counsel. Another reason is that you want outside counsel who are up on the latest letter of the law and techniques being used in trials. M

well here's my source

CIG are a bunch of retards and watch ortwin and toast walk into court like a vampire and his bloodboy

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

Derek is a lot more eloquent than I expected

I expected one long poo poo-eating grin and dismissive hand-waving

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Doobie meets Crobbler.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

TheAgent posted:

well here's my source

CIG are a bunch of retards and watch ortwin and toast walk into court like a vampire and his bloodboy

Wouldn't surprise me if they tried. Having your in house counsel represent you in a lawsuit is the corporate equivalent of a man who defends himself in court only has a fool for a client.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

TheAgent posted:

well here's my source

The secret to me
It ain't flown on a flag
I carry it behind
This pretty little badge
What says

MOMA

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Oh dear.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

There's also the issue of the in-house counsel being a co-founder.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

TheAgent posted:

so I guess you gotta hold F now to do anything in your ship, but holding F is also the default "get out of your chair" keybind

lol

better than having free look be ALT and 3rd person be F4 I guess

Holding 'f' gives you your inner thoughts.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

*Holds 'f'

"We're hosed"

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

XK posted:

There's also the issue of the in-house counsel being a co-founder.

Yep. When I moved from GC to CEO of a company I went to inactive status with the Bar.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Defense: Your honor, the defense requests that the lights be turned down in the courtroom.
Judge: For what reason?
Defense: So we can open the coffin and release fire and fury your honor.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Defense: Your honor, the defense requests that the lights be turned down in the courtroom.
Judge: For what reason?
Defense: So we can open the coffin and release fire and fury your honor.
*Judge hammers a land claim spike into the coffin with a gavel*

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Man was I totally surprised that the guy with anime posters and green hair still has faith in Star Citizen.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Hav posted:

SCO stuff

Yes, the Novell case was hilarious: SCO was claiming ownership of the code/API but in fact they had only licensed it from Novell, who had never given up those ownership rights, which, qed and was. That's why CIG/RSI's response is going to be so interesting :allears: All these cases were being heard at the same time (SCO was suing EVERYBODY, except Microsoft who helpfully gave them some money), so when the USL vs BSD case was finally uncovered, it set off a judgement cascade (as the results of the other cases were dependent on the outcome of IBM vs SCO), and nothing of value was lost

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

juggalo baby coffin posted:

This is how we knew it was a scam from very early on
It's interesting because we'll never know if it began as a scam or if it evolved into one as technical impossibilities rubbed up against a money well to the tune of 200~ million dollars.

But personally, I think many of your comments can be directed at the development team themselves. I do not think Chris Roberts is either well-educated or well-experienced in gaming in the modern day, and I believe he is patient zero. Chris Roberts himself believed in his stupid scam, at least up until a point, and promised what he legitimately believed he could do. Because he's too limited and too egotistical to realize. I'm not even sure he himself realizes it is a scam. External factors have influenced his behavior. Imagine a subject in a closed room who can choose to behave in certain ways to see a response from the nebulous other that exists outside the room. By acting a certain way, subject is given millions of dollars! And it keeps happening! For years. Therefore he behaves in that fashion, unknowingly perpetuating a scam he is the face of.

It's possible they're a scam now and have always been a scam. But the space doors, for example, give me the feeling they believed they were at some point a legitimate studio. And legitimate studios behave in such a fashion, so, they did so themselves. If from the beginning the core was rotten, they'd have been gathering money into greater piles and been quite miserly. And I think in turn that is what has made it so effective at working on the backers. It's potemkin village that has working water, a ridiculous coffee machine, workers going into the factory and coming out at the end of the day. But it's powered by dreams and produces only clipping disasters and holograms that cast shadows.

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

fuctifino posted:

New thread title?

Seconded

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/SC_Logicorp/status/942885801632952323
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/942907094424064000
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/942907557500342272
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/942909535072739328

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

TheAgent posted:

well here's my source

While I hope this is what happens, CIG hiring a big scary law firm of their own would allay a lot of backer panic. And we'll all fall out of their chairs laughing when said law firm is dismissed for not promising that they can get them off or quits due to non-payment of fees.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/Bockbiertje2/status/942409015820156928
https://twitter.com/GeraIdEvans/status/942466629392150528
https://twitter.com/iq_derek/status/942479696687763456

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jK4KjD_96Q&t=1988s

quote:

"EHM...its - its much different because we're...ehhh kinda allowing a lot higher acceleration on these b-bikes maybe than... than you might get--- because the VELOCITY is so low - the ... the reasoning behind it so... Velocity is low you can have a bit more... ACCELERATION... ehhmm... thats the way I SEE IT. Its sorta like its not going AS FAST as using the afterburner, it means you can be a little bit ss..ssnapier on the turning. For the longest time we had bikes in.... and they perform....huuuuuhhhh... BADLY... whereas people are CONSTANTLY complaining about the slidines... because its when you... when you turn on a bike and you look the direction... you wanna go and you feel like you are drifting out it really doesnt feel right... its... the ships kind of ARE like that when you got the safties off and thats like...thats t the the way we want it you wanna be FIGHTING the slide using the boost and afterburner it needs to be a... HARD challenge we wanna have that skill level... i think the bikes..its a little less..a little less... ehm... OK to do that
[...]
A lot of these planets are so ROCKY, the terrain is so huuuuh... it undulates all over the place so the gravlevs have the challenge of staying above these rocks... And if your performance is POOR and you're sliding out it makes it so much WORSE....you just end up hitting rocks and exploding... So i need to MAKE sure that that... that... these bikes are CONTROLLABLE ENOUGH... that you get in them after waiting so long to TRY THEM that you dont just fly into a rock and explode... and thats really... theeeeeeeeee.... eeehhh... the x- ehhh--acceleration on the X-axis... theee... making sure thatt thats high enough, that they can turn well...ehm...but it is just... makin sure ive raised the numbers enough to GET THE SHIP FLYING... like tight to the ground and... TIGHT turns but still making it so that if you use... BOOST to get... basically chug more fuel into the... ENGINES and overdrive them you still get that feeling that you get more... sharper turns when you use it"

Apart from this being complete gibberish it is also wrong. The dude is trying to fix shortcomings of the GravLev system that keeps the vehicle from scraping over rocks and the floor by tweaking sideways acceleration... because to his understandig the GravLev system is atuomatic and oh my it was so much of a hassle to learn how to work with the thrusters in first place... so better just make the bike go sideways faster in less time because that will surely fix the horrific hovermode we created (but hey, its like magnetic levitation so its cool... although we can only really use that on completely flat surfaces...)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

wow this is a fun stroll through the past

Parias posted:

Holy hell, this thread has completely self-destructed again. I'm starting to feel like I should treat it like the official forums and go on hiatus for the next 24-48 hours until things cool down.

Seriously, what the gently caress? Why are we (yet again) having to devote pages and pages of discussion frantically defending the game against a couple of people claiming CIG has some nefarious / incompetent intent behind everything and are trying to screw everyone? This is getting very old, and I'm tired of repeating exactly the same arguments from several pages ago.

EdEddnEddy posted:

You really are going to let 1-2% of the people on a game that is not out yet effect your opinion of the gameplay/final product in 2 years?

I would suggest you go do/read something else and come back in 1.5 years then make a choice if that is the case. If anything I would feel it gives you a good number of hitlist names to go after ingame.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

is the paywall up right now?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
wow an archive of derek smart tweets and blogs

where could I possibly ever find those or someone willing to point them out every few hours

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Hi Tarka :wave: Please come and join our discussion, as we would welcome a rational debate. You have to come prepared with actual facts and prepare to cite them, but hopefully that won't be too difficult for you because you obviously are a well-informed free thinker who hasn't had gallons of the Kool Aid. We would also prefer that you type them out yourself rather than use the team of screeching rabid orangutans that normally operate your keyboard. If these challenges are too much though, we understand.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Combat Theory posted:

"EHM...its - its much different because we're...ehhh kinda allowing a lot higher acceleration on these b-bikes maybe than... than you might get--- because the VELOCITY is so low - the ... the reasoning behind it so... Velocity is low you can have a bit more... ACCELERATION... ehhmm... thats the way I SEE IT. Its sorta like its not going AS FAST as using the afterburner, it means you can be a little bit ss..ssnapier on the turning. For the longest time we had bikes in.... and they perform....huuuuuhhhh... BADLY... whereas people are CONSTANTLY complaining about the slidines... because its when you... when you turn on a bike and you look the direction... you wanna go and you feel like you are drifting out it really doesnt feel right... its... the ships kind of ARE like that when you got the safties off and thats like...thats t the the way we want it you wanna be FIGHTING the slide using the boost and afterburner it needs to be a... HARD challenge we wanna have that skill level... i think the bikes..its a little less..a little less... ehm... OK to do that
[...]
A lot of these planets are so ROCKY, the terrain is so huuuuh... it undulates all over the place so the gravlevs have the challenge of staying above these rocks... And if your performance is POOR and you're sliding out it makes it so much WORSE....you just end up hitting rocks and exploding... So i need to MAKE sure that that... that... these bikes are CONTROLLABLE ENOUGH... that you get in them after waiting so long to TRY THEM that you dont just fly into a rock and explode... and thats really... theeeeeeeeee.... eeehhh... the x- ehhh--acceleration on the X-axis... theee... making sure thatt thats high enough, that they can turn well...ehm...but it is just... makin sure ive raised the numbers enough to GET THE SHIP FLYING... like tight to the ground and... TIGHT turns but still making it so that if you use... BOOST to get... basically chug more fuel into the... ENGINES and overdrive them you still get that feeling that you get more... sharper turns when you use it"

They don’t think it be like it is, but it do.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I think he's describing the hoverboard from Back to the Future 2.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
if staying involved with star citizen meant I had to read, archive and display every dsmart post, tweet, blog, spat or appearance I'd have wandered out into the California desert to be eaten by predators long ago, thereby freeing me from star citizen and my overall worry about my jpg bitcoin fleet

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

wow this is a fun stroll through the past

Lol that old thread is gold.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

That old thread is a real look in the mirror.

BRB time to give all my money to Chris Roberts and then play Freelancer unironically.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

TheAgent posted:

if staying involved with star citizen meant I had to read, archive and display every dsmart post, tweet, blog, spat or appearance I'd have wandered out into the California desert to be eaten by predators long ago, thereby freeing me from star citizen and my overall worry about my jpg bitcoin fleet

Maybe they should be archiving the things crobbler and CIG say.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

XK posted:

Holding the keeper of their money and dreams accountable to ensure timely responsible development? That's crazy talk. Better to keep harassing a guy 24 hours a day who to them is both grossly incompetent and somehow the greatest threat ever to their precious game.

ComfyPants fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 19, 2017

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

I can't wait for the great day of the youtube video purge as CIG tries desperately to destroy any and all evidence that Star Citizen ever existed

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Spiderdrake posted:

It's interesting because we'll never know if it began as a scam or if it evolved into one as technical impossibilities rubbed up against a money well to the tune of 200~ million dollars.

But personally, I think many of your comments can be directed at the development team themselves. I do not think Chris Roberts is either well-educated or well-experienced in gaming in the modern day, and I believe he is patient zero. Chris Roberts himself believed in his stupid scam, at least up until a point, and promised what he legitimately believed he could do. Because he's too limited and too egotistical to realize. I'm not even sure he himself realizes it is a scam. External factors have influenced his behavior. Imagine a subject in a closed room who can choose to behave in certain ways to see a response from the nebulous other that exists outside the room. By acting a certain way, subject is given millions of dollars! And it keeps happening! For years. Therefore he behaves in that fashion, unknowingly perpetuating a scam he is the face of.

I don't think his dev team could feasibly say no. I think nearly all the games problems come straight from chris, down to the dumb choice of cryengine. Cryengine was the #1 hyped engine at the time and chris picked it because A) they offered him a free demo and B) it was shiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

big nipples big life posted:

is the paywall up right now?

Unrelated, you want your gangtag back?