Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

After The War posted:

Can we have Doug Jones as an old-school hammy Who villain, though? Pleeeeease?!

I’m not sure they could afford Doug Jones these days. Do you mean Doug Bradley?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The_Doctor posted:

Haha, yeah, that's who I meant! All "Dougs" will be "Doug Jones" until a few weeks further out from the Alabama election.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

After The War posted:

Haha, yeah, that's who I meant! All "Dougs" will be "Doug Jones" until a few weeks further out from the Alabama election.

His opponent in that election, however, was too cartoonishly evil to be a Doctor Who villain.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bicyclops posted:

His opponent in that election, however, was too cartoonishly evil to be a Doctor Who villain.

I think I saw him on Jim’ll Fix It

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think I saw him on Jim’ll Fix It

:vince:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

After The War posted:

Then you'll be wantin "Pier Pressure" starring Sixie and Evelyn. Warning, however, it is extremely dull, even though it includes Roy Hudd as Max Miller and Martin Parsons as Billy Hartnell

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Davros1 posted:

Then you'll be wantin "Pier Pressure" starring Sixie and Evelyn. Warning, however, it is extremely dull, even though it includes Roy Hudd as Max Miller and Martin Parsons as Billy Hartnell

Oh God, you're right, he was in that, wasn't he? What a waste. How can you combine a music hall comedy legend with Lovecraftian horror and end up with something so boring?

And now that you mention it, I do remember seeing that he was in that after I heard it, going "goddamn, what a waste" then completely banishing it from my memory. As I'm sure I will again.

(Pulls out marker, draws tic mark on arm.)

Hey, Doug Bradley should really do Big Finish some time!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Congrats on the kid, Bicyclops! :)

Astroman posted:

Quality Scifi Journalistic Site IO9 tries to pass this off as a Controversial Opinion From Stephen Moffat:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/doctor-who-is-the-greatest-television-show-ever-made-a-1821292332

What they leave out is that Moffat has held this opinion since 1979...
:thunk:

Moffat posted:

“There are people, believe it or not, who become scientists because of Doctor Who. That seems improbable given we said the moon was an egg, you’d think they’d have a problem with it.”

:allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

Master: Woah hey back up, man. The cackling is way too far over the top.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.
Secret Santa in the mail 12/13/17 to arrive before Christmas. It's not as personal as I'd hoped -- life got in the way so I ordered/shipped it online and the site didn't offer wrapping, I apologize -- but it's heartfelt. Hope it's well received. :ohdear: I think it can be returned if not.

Another piece of Christmas business that's niggled at me every year since I started watching Doctor Who way back in the dark dark ages. c. 1991.

Does anybody else think the 1984 Band Aid song Do they Know it's Christmas sounds a bit like the Who theme from McCoy's era? Every year it comes around on the radio and I strongly reminds me of the . . . is this the bit that people who understand music call the "middle 8"? The nice part of the theme that doesn't get as much love as the main bit which was highlighted in/as The Sound of Drums. So this year I'm finally asking a bevy of Whovians. Am I nuts (about this in particular) or do y'all hear it too?

Band Aid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjQzJAKxTrE&t=151s

7th theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0r27kOw2rw&t=20s

e: on reflection, now that I actually play them back to back, it's really not alike at all. Maybe I'm thinking of a different version of the theme? Or I have the aural equivalent of color blindness? But the part of Do They Know it's Christmas I linked to really does remind me of the Who theme for some reason.

King Plum the Nth fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 17, 2017

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

King Plum the Nth posted:

Secret Santa in the mail 12/13/17 to arrive before Christmas. It's not as personal as I'd hoped -- life got in the way so I ordered/shipped it online and the site didn't offer wrapping, I apologize -- but it's heartfelt. Hope it's well received. :ohdear: I think it can be returned if not.

Another piece of Christmas business that's niggled at me every year since I started watching Doctor Who way back in the dark dark ages. c. 1991.

Does anybody else think the 1984 Band Aid song Do they Know it's Christmas sounds a bit like the Who theme from McCoy's era? Every year it comes around on the radio and I strongly reminds me of the . . . is this the bit that people who understand music call the "middle 8"? The nice part of the theme that doesn't get as much love as the main bit which was highlighted in/as The Sound of Drums. So this year I'm finally asking a bevy of Whovians. Am I nuts (about this in particular) or do y'all hear it too?

Band Aid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjQzJAKxTrE&t=151s

7th theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0r27kOw2rw&t=20s

e: on reflection, now that I actually play them back to back, it's really not alike at all. Maybe I'm thinking of a different version of the theme? Or I have the aural equivalent of color blindness? But the part of Do They Know it's Christmas I linked to really does remind me of the Who theme for some reason.

I kinda hear it too, yeah.
Also, have a direct link for the Band Aid video because it doesn't allow embeds: https://youtu.be/bjQzJAKxTrE?t=2m31s

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
I seem to remember an interview in the early days of the revival that stated the middle eight was missed from Murray Gold's first version of the theme due to it's perceived similarity to Do They Know it's Christmas...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Robert J. Omb posted:

I seem to remember an interview in the early days of the revival that stated the middle eight was missed from Murray Gold's first version of the theme due to it's perceived similarity to Do They Know it's Christmas...

That's silly. The middle eight existed long before Do They Know It's Christmas.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I think it was more that RTD thought it sounded like Band Aid, and didn't like it personally.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.
This is awesome, thanks. It's literally been driving me nuts for years -- but just a really ow grade nuts and then only for a few weeks out of the year on odd occasions when I actually hear the song in the wild -- so I never bothered checking it out before. Nice to know I'm not totally alone.

Thinking of pop music and Doctor Who just lead me right back to Rock and Roll (Part Two)/Doctorin' the Tardis which was so fun to listen to again I'll post it just because.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdTELokKfCk
I'd never seen the video before. :D They somehow managed to make a prop Dalek that looked cheesier than any monster ever in the history of Who itself. It's uncanny and pleasantly hilarious as, I'm sure, they intended. Bubble wrap and tin foil really do look better than this.

Davros1 posted:

That's silly. The middle eight existed long before Do They Know It's Christmas.

It's a fair argument by try making it in favor of Hydrox.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The only video for that song is the "Please call now!" screen from every PBS pledge drive. :colbert:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Completely missed this, but the American release of Shada, which was scheduled for Jan 9, 2018, has been pushed back until Sept, 2018. Apparently BBC America wants to air it sometime in the summer.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doctor-Shada/23830

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

One week left in the Peter Capaldi era!

:derp:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Big Finish has just announced the final Jago and Litefoot release, Jago and Litefoot Forever. A special sendoff episode ending the series, Litefoot will appear via archive audio. Physical release includes the 2 J&L short trips, and a special interview disc.

I'm curious if they'll pick up the cliffhanger from Box 13, or just leave that adventure untold.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

jivjov posted:

Big Finish has just announced the final Jago and Litefoot release, Jago and Litefoot Forever. A special sendoff episode ending the series, Litefoot will appear via archive audio. Physical release includes the 2 J&L short trips, and a special interview disc.

I'm curious if they'll pick up the cliffhanger from Box 13, or just leave that adventure untold.

Oh yes, this is going to be a release day buy for me.

Christopher Benjamin (Henry Gordon Jago), Trevor Baxter (Professor George Litefoot), Lisa Bowerman (Ellie Higson), Conrad Asquith (Inspector Quick), Louise Jameson (Leela) , Colin Baker (The Doctor), Rowena Cooper (Queen Victoria), David Warner (Dr Luke Betterman), Jamie Newall (Aubrey).
The Dream Team <3

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Is The Five Doctors really not streaming anywhere? I have Britbox, Amazon, Netflix, and would frankly resort to Dailymotion if I couldn't find it there, but it just seems to not exist except on DVD. I want to watch the Phirst Doctor before I watch the Furst Doctor.

e: nm, found it.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 19, 2017

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

jivjov posted:

Very glad they are doing this.

There were so many stories and arcs they had hinted at for the future of the characters that we'll never see, it could have went on for 20 more series. But at least we get a proper send off.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Okay:

The Five Doctors is wayyyy better than I remember it being, partially due to the writing capturing the natures of all the current Doctors, the performances of the returning actors, and and the huge number of people from the show they were able to get together (even if they cheated with Tom and Lalla). Like Pertwee is either phoning it in or so loving jazzed to be the Doctor again that he can't help showing after the second half, and he's still an absolute joy to watch. This emphasizes for me that Patrick Troughton is one of the top three actors to play the role (I think Matt Smith and Tom Baker are the others).

But:

Richard Hurndall is absolutely awful at portraying the First Doctor. It isn't even the writing, really (although, it's weird that Susan and the Doctor's reunion is almost ignored and that Carole Ann Ford, once again, gets so little airtime), it's that, however good of an actor he might be, he cannot play the First Doctor if he has to speak for a couple of sentences at a time. He's doing something well, but it's some kind of generic, wise grandpa with a vague imitation of Hartnell's timbre.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My favorite part of Pertwee in the 5 Doctors is that he read Liz Sladen's "All teeth and curls" line and loved it so much that he insisted he get to deliver it instead, even though it made absolutely no sense for him to know what his future incarnation would look like :allears:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

My favorite part of Pertwee in the 5 Doctors is that he read Liz Sladen's "All teeth and curls" line and loved it so much that he insisted he get to deliver it instead, even though it made absolutely no sense for him to know what his future incarnation would look like :allears:

:lol:

Jon Pertwee, just enjoying himself so much that he shows up on set one day reading all of Peter Davison's lines, only to find that Patrick Troughton is doing the same thing. The two just look at each other, shrug, and say "Why not both?"

Carole Ann Ford finds that all of her lines have been given to the Third Doctor.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The main thing I took away from The Five Doctors, apart from Tennant and co.'s DVD commentary on it, is the image of Carole Ann Ford in her 40s with that cool coat and scarf as my main mental visual reference for her return with Eight in the Big Finish audios. The look just really suits "older Susan, scientific adviser to the reconstruction of Earth" to me.

Of course the story treats her like garbage with her sole identifying trait being "tripping over nothing and spraining her ankle" (there's a problem with that era of the show and women that actually exists if you want to comment on things like that, Steven), but I really dig her new look.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jerusalem posted:

As much as I enjoy him as 3, I can't help but think that Pertwee must have been insufferable to be around for any length of time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The impression I've always gotten was that so long as everybody knew he was the star, he was absolutely wonderful to get along with.

Not that he was going to be a monster or an rear end in a top hat to anybody who questioned him or anything, just that it was very much HIS show and that's just the way things were.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The best thing about The Five Doctors is Pertwee's coat.

And that's not a sleight at the rest of the special - I enjoy it! - But that loving coat!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

CommonShore posted:

The best thing about The Five Doctors is Pertwee's coat.

And that's not a sleight at the rest of the special - I enjoy it! - But that loving coat!

I have to go with the Brigadier punching out the Master. Always brings a smile to my face.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CobiWann posted:

I have to go with the Brigadier punching out the Master. Always brings a smile to my face.

He'd waited so long to do that!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Second Doctor gleefully bending the laws of time to jump forward to the 5th Doctor's era just to go to the Brig's party :3:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bicyclops posted:

the Furst Doctor.

Ugh, American dream castings are so tedious!!!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m in Berlin to see my boyfriend, and the big cinema at the Sony Centre here is showing the Xmas special on Xmas day. :3:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

The_Doctor posted:

I’m in Berlin to see my boyfriend, and the big cinema at the Sony Centre here is showing the Xmas special on Xmas day. :3:

Dubbed or subbed?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Lucy seems confused but I for one am pumped to finally watch Hell Comes to Frogtown! She doesn’t know anything about good movies anyway, she’s just a dog.

Thanks Mystery Santa!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just want to say I love your dog forever :3:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't really care if Richard Hurndall isn't otherwise very good, WHAT ARE YOU YOUNG PEOPLE DOING IN MY TARDIS makes me laugh every drat time.

Though the Master's smug "What makes you think I want your forgiveness" at the Time Lord High Council is my personal favorite bit.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

Just want to say I love your dog forever :3:

She’s the best. Probably the only dog in the world that gets mad if you don’t put her sweater on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Put question marks on the sweater!

• Locked thread