Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

This was happening a year ago too. The only thing that was moving then was converting your ships into in-house currency and then selling that off at a 15% or so discount.

Nobody wants to buy the ships because they're ludicrously overpriced, and all of the risk is on the buyer. The seller could rip you off for the cash and then have you kicked out of the community if you are a new buyer with no history. Or they could sell the account, then claim they were hacked and reclaim the merchandise later. Or they could sell and then refund and who knows what happens then? Or, if it's a really big sale, like multiple thousands, they will probably demand that both sides go through a middleman with a good rep but then who is establishing that rep in the first place? It's just risk, risk, risk. Anybody who'd spend 700 bucks for a digital spaceship will probably spend 800 for one straight from the store that can be resold.

Nobody (sane) wants to sell the ships because if they bought them from the store originally, they can just refund and get their money back. The hot market and limited supply that raised prices above store level no longer exists, the constant sales and slipshod release cycle have killed it completely, so nobody's buying just to sell at a markup anymore. The only people trying to offload on the grey market are the ones who bought their ships on the grey market in the first place- they can't claim refunds for gifts so they're left with nothing unless they can dump to some other sucker. Hence the deep price discounts.

Literally the only ships I can see moving on the grey market are the capships that can't be purchased anymore, and that's pretty much just the Idris M, and two years ago those were going for $5,000 dollars. Nobody's gonna pay that now, and I'd bet that the people who own one these days are praying for some kind of miracle to come along and save their investment.

:same:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Readers going for it as well. Get Joe Blober in here asap.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

kilus aof posted:

Mad Dog McCree VR hopefully.

I unironically want FMV games to make their triumphant return and depose all the young pretenders.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Lol. I know people on game talk live. I'll have to read the comments

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Wait Gary old man got axed from Sc? drat I am behind

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Jeffrey McArthur passed away on Friday in Exton PA, aged 61.

An avid gamer and geek through and through, Jeffrey was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer in December 2015 and came to our attention early in 2016 when he made a video asking if he "was too stupid to play Star Citizen", which resulted in him facing abuse from some of the more toxic members of the SC fanbase.

After undergoing surgery and chemotherapy, a CT scan in July 2016 showed his cancer to be gone, and he continued working and making many videos on his hobbies, gaming, computers, and Dungeons & Dragons.

In August this year, another CT scan showed his colon cancer had returned and spread, eventually metastasizing to his stomach. With a prognosis of only a 50% chance of surviving to the end of the year, Jeffrey decided not to undergo chemotherapy again, chosing to enjoy what time he had left to live without suffering the side effects that chemo had on his senses.

Jeffrey faced his death with immense grace and dignity, and I am very grateful to him for sharing his story with us along the way.

Rest in peace, Jeffrey.

Jeffrey's tribute to his late wife Jeannine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VmFNM97DRs

Jeffrey's video about the cancer returning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBhQe_qSavI

Jeffrey's last video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYWQ86QQ-0Q

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:smith: I remember that guy. I was quite angry with the shitizens for that. At least he's at peace.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

iospace posted:

Unrelated, you want your gangtag back?

Yes, thank you :)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:rip: :smith:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Rest in peace

:smith:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

What the gently caress it just needs the music from Willy wonkas1 boat ride

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:smith: I remember that guy. I was quite angry with the shitizens for that. At least he's at peace.

I think I linked the original video because it was a normal person just trying and failing to play Star Citizen, through no fault of his. Shitizens jumped on him just because it was in this thread and that made me sad. From what I remember he even took the abuse from idiots in good grace which says a lot about the type of person he was.

If you're one of the shitizens currently reading this thread maybe have a think about if a dumb computer game is worth getting annoyed about when life is so short. Sure you're concerned about your "investment", well it's lost, no point really worrying anymore.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

God drat, that hit's me rather hard due to what's happening around me

:rip:

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Lack of Gravitas posted:

An avid gamer and geek through and through, Jeffrey was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer in December 2015 and came to our attention early in 2016 when he made a video asking if he "was too stupid to play Star Citizen", which resulted in him facing abuse from some of the more toxic members of the SC fanbase.

After undergoing surgery and chemotherapy, a CT scan in July 2016 showed his cancer to be gone, and he continued working and making many videos on his hobbies, gaming, computers, and Dungeons & Dragons.

In August this year, another CT scan showed his colon cancer had returned and spread, eventually metastasizing to his stomach. With a prognosis of only a 50% chance of surviving to the end of the year, Jeffrey decided not to undergo chemotherapy again, chosing to enjoy what time he had left to live without suffering the side effects that chemo had on his senses.

Jeffrey faced his death with immense grace and dignity, and I am very grateful to him for sharing his story with us along the way.

Rest in peace, Jeffrey.

Jeffrey's last video

if SC ever produces a documentary. I wish they would dedicate it to that guy :smith:
in memory of Jeffrey McArthur

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

RIP Jeffrey. His chill response to everything showed up pretty much everyone involved in this shitshow as the screaming manbabies they (we?) are.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Lack of Gravitas posted:

poo poo :smithcloud:

Gort posted:

How did you break it
Like with most great things in life, I fell on i

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

no_recall posted:

One last one before the year ends.

Someone call how much the Christmas / ELE / Couttes Interest Repayment / Crytek Lawsuit / Year End - Sale Livestream Extravaganza is going to reap!

All guesses / prizes / donations will be taken in before Thursday.

A bunch of you don't have PM enabled so I still have a bunch of unclaimed keys, lets do this!

Buy a Starship!

4 mill.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

no_recall posted:

Someone call how much the Christmas / ELE / Couttes Interest Repayment / Crytek Lawsuit / Year End - Sale Livestream Extravaganza is going to reap!

A bunch of you don't have PM enabled so I still have a bunch of unclaimed keys, lets do this!

Buy a Starship!

1.7 million

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Virtual Captain posted:

Readers going for it as well. Get Joe Blober in here asap.

Some of the comments are hilarious but one thing that the shitizen thread fire marshal is right about is : SC is the best business model of all time not the worst !. They have sold nearly 200 million dollars worth of photo-bashed JPEGS and have done so consistently for the past 6 years .

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Sad to hear of Mr. McArthur's passing.
I watched his last video. I think his calm spirit is inspiring.
Peace to him and his loved ones...

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

no_recall posted:

Buy a Starship!

What the hell, I'll throw my hat in.
3 mil.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Rest in peace, Jeffrey.

Jeffrey's last video
dude was cool

cancer sucks

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

1.45m

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

no_recall posted:

Buy a Starship!

4.21 alpha millions

And the livestream will be 13 minutes late.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

no_recall posted:

Buy a Starship!

2.5m

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
To properly calculate how much CIG will make this year you simply need to take last years total and adjust it by adding 1.5% APR, like at your used car dealership.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

To properly calculate how much CIG will make this year you simply need to take last years total and adjust it by adding 1.5% APR, like at your used car dealership.

Yeah I agree with this, if the tracker is rubbish, which it certainly appears to be, then why would they show a decline? There's no reason to. You could say, well they won't fake it anymore because of Crytek, but if it's been fake for a year+ already, another couple of months won't really make a difference.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

AP posted:

Yeah I agree with this, if the tracker is rubbish, which it certainly appears to be, then why would they show a decline? There's no reason to. You could say, well they won't fake it anymore because of Crytek, but if it's been fake for a year+ already, another couple of months won't really make a difference.

That and they are loving stupid and post the most stable videogame company funding on a year-to-year basis that anyone has ever seen.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Rest in peace, Jeffrey.

Jeffrey's last video

What a shame.

This is the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc7o-uDmvio

----------------

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Dunno, the lawsuit made news. This isn’t a dodgy citcon video for the echo chamber of invested whales, a lot more people are now looking at this with incredulity.

That and the Loot boxes suggest that 2018 could get interesting for gaming.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Rest in peace, Jeffrey.

Jeffrey's last video

My biggest salute to this guy for being strong!

A BIG gently caress YOU TP ALL SHITIZENS WHO MOCKED THIS GUY!! THIS IS ONE OF THE REASON YOU SHITIZENS WILL BE MY GREATEST SOURCE OF SCHADENFREUDE YOU drat SPERGS!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

no_recall posted:

Buy a Starship!

Ten Million

Never underestimate the Whales

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hav posted:

Dunno, the lawsuit made news. This isn’t a dodgy citcon video for the echo chamber of invested whales, a lot more people are now looking at this with incredulity.

I dunno, I'm betting on them creaming their jeans with a new SQ42 trailer (and probably little footage).

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hav posted:

Winter sale beat almost all expectations. Aim high, I say!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
I can hear the crickets from down here in SoFLA

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/57219/thread/gametalklive-without-pro-speakers

----------------

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Moved to Concern

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sucks to hear about Jeffrey. I'm sure that the Star Citizen incident was nothing more than a tiny blip on his radar, but I was always impressed with how cool he was during the whole thing.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Heh, I just realized he blocked me.

At this point he's blocked all of my 'stolen' Citizen twitter accounts. I'm gonna have to make 'Beets4theBeetGod' or something.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Rest in peace, Jeffrey.

Jeffrey's last video
Just lost my cousin in the same way. He got the all clear, we all breathed a sigh of relief, and then he got a relapse or whatever they call it.

gently caress cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Rest in peace, Jeffrey.

Jeffrey's last video

Aww man