Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Can we talk about how great the OST for this game is?

Argentum day theme and Tantal day/night are becoming addictively good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pierson posted:

What makes a good tank in this game? I just got Extremely Good and Cool, Person Vandham so I'm gonna try rolling with Rex/Nia/Vand for a bit (sorry Tora).

I'm still kind of limited in my gear and blades so all I can really do is use a katana-type blade and pump up HP via accessories. This works for shorter fights but on the couple of bosses I tried Nia just couldn't keep me up. Does it get easier later when I have access to a whole bunch more items/blades/characters?

Unless you get 3 tank blades on someone who isn't supposed to be a tank, you're far better off just using characters that come with tank blades since their stats are optimized for it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Ahhhh poo poo didn't think to check that. So it isn't like Bravely Default or something where characters are blank states, some characters are just disposed to it? Right, got it.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 19, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Mor Ardain (not the city) day theme sounds like orchestral Mega Man music.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I’m charting out the parts for tantal - night

It’s too good

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I like finches derpy someone's being taaaaaaargeted kine

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Are there unlimited Premium Cylinders in stores or is it finite?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

its curtains for Kevin posted:

The mor ardain day music gives me wild arms vibes, it's awesome

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

What makes a good tank in this game? I just got Extremely Good and Cool, Person Vandham so I'm gonna try rolling with Rex/Nia/Vand for a bit (sorry Tora).

I'm still kind of limited in my gear and blades so all I can really do is use a katana-type blade and pump up HP via accessories. This works for shorter fights but on the couple of bosses I tried Nia just couldn't keep me up. Does it get easier later when I have access to a whole bunch more items/blades/characters?

If you want to tank yourself you're definitely better off playing as a healer. You will facetank a lot better than tanks while keeping your party alive way better than any AI healer ever could.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have to wait three hours to open Vess’s core crystal? What the gently caress, game?

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.
Been playing for 60 hours, still in chapter 5, got permanent (?) party member #4 and just turned around from main quest and started clearing stuff up from earlier zones.

Popped Zenobia from rare core and immedialy fell in love. And after maxing her trust to A first time to any blade in just 40 minutes, started doing her gimmick progression. :black101:

Other highlight is female blade that apparently likes money and women alot

While salvaging, should I always just buy gold cylinders, do they give investment back better than silver? They are just so expensive and I am hoarder by nature :ohdear:

Also, any one have a good Driver Art Element Combo cheat sheet as image? TIA

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

Taikuri posted:

Been playing for 60 hours, still in chapter 5, got permanent (?) party member #4 and just turned around from main quest and started clearing stuff up from earlier zones.

Popped Zenobia from rare core and immedialy fell in love. And after maxing her trust to A first time to any blade in just 40 minutes, started doing her gimmick progression. :black101:

While salvaging, should I always just buy gold cylinders, do they give investment back better than silver? They are just so expensive and I am hoarder by nature :ohdear:

That one is perminant, nice pull that blade is a beast, and gold cylinders are the best as far as I'm aware.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taikuri posted:

Get the GOld Cylinders, you will have more money than you know what to do with after a few runs using them. You'll feed Sheba's warchest before you know it and have plenty of money to spare.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just which name Rex uses in cutscenes and combat

It affects a minor thing in the ending too the name you pick is the swordwife that confesses to rex after they split in two

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

brand engager posted:

It affects a minor thing in the ending too the name you pick is the swordwife that confesses to rex after they split in two

Really though it should've decided which knifu comes out of the Core Crystal at the end of the drat game instead of the forced harem bullshit.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What's the best way to set up a full Driver Combo? Tora has basically every single possible move, and Rex has Topple on Pyra, but it takes too long to let Roc charge up before I can quickly switch to him and Smash a Launched enemy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Got to the final chapter last night and the cutscene it plays showing Klaus destroying the old universe was fun.

It was also nice getting just over 130k exp from fighting Jin and then the unsurprisingly evil elf pope Amalthus and jumping 4-5 levels on everyone. Sitting at level 68 on my main team and still got my giant mountain of quest xp to burn if I'd have any need to give everyone a bunch of levels for the final stretch.

Pollyanna posted:

Got bored and sold them all off. What's the best way to grind rares and legendaries? I will complete this album if it kills me.

I looked this up just last night as well and one method I saw mention was to run the 'stomach of the dragon' quest (or whatever it's called) in Uraya. It opens access to a level 65 unique enemy who can drop legendary cores, including when you hit them with a driver combo (break/topple/launch/smash). So you'll want to be level 55-60 to do it, maybe lower works if you have a crazy powerful team.

Get some gold chips (chain attack kill the lvl 60 flying fish/dragon things in temp) so you can give them to everyone to boost item drop rates, since that affects item drops from driver combos and not just kills, and then setup a party that can driver combo repeatedly.
Give everyone pouch items to boost drive skill recharge rate and spam driver combos on the enemy.
Give Rex an overclock bangle as well so you can swap blades faster too.
Bring Nia with blades that can cause break and use Rex for topple (Pyra), launch (any axe), and smash (only available to Rex via Roc's twin scythes). Rex with an overclock bangle ensures you can switch between your blades fast enough. A video I watched of a Japanese player doing this was landing a full driver combo every 30 seconds or so, maybe faster, and got multiple legendary core drops (and a lot of level 5 aux cores) in a single fix.

I'm going to give it a try today as well. Need to grab a couple gold chips first because I imagine only the chip of the blade that's active affects drop rates so I at least one one on my Smash blade.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Pollyanna posted:

What's the best way to set up a full Driver Combo? Tora has basically every single possible move, and Rex has Topple on Pyra, but it takes too long to let Roc charge up before I can quickly switch to him and Smash a Launched enemy.

Pyra with topple, Zeke has launch on his default blade. Delay your topple until the last quarter of the meter to give enough time.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Pollyanna posted:

I was lucky enough to pull Agate pretty early on, so I let Nia set up Break, Topple with Pyra, Launch with Agate and then Smash with Roc. It has limited my use of the rare blades on Rex but being able to control the combo has been satisfying enough to make it worth it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

How much damage does a driver combo do compared to a blade combo? I've mainly been trying to do the latter and then popping a chain attack when I have two or three orbs because I generally have to rely on my teammates to do half the combo.

I could probably set it up on Rex, since I do have Agate on him, but I don't like greataxes and would rather keep Praxis equipped.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I did it, I got Tora's third Blade and now I can finally play as him. He's the first example I've seen of a Blade having two reactions on one weapon set, with Break and Launch being on the third. He also has access to all four reactions in the driver combo so that's super cool.

Now if only Tiger Tiger weren't so frustrating, time consuming, and random in terms of both stage layout and rewards, things would be totally cool with him. Hopefully the easy mode they're adding to it will take care of at least that first complaint.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
One thing that really annoys me is that the game makes it even harder to cross-class people by giving driver combo moves to almost none of the off-class weapons. For example, none of his healer blade driver arts have those effects, not even his late-game plot blade.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

My wife finds the battle phrases super annoying in this game (especially Tora's) and can't understand why I don't. It's partially because I need to know what they're doing in battle, but also because I could listen to Rex shout "NOW I'M FIRED UUUUUUUUUP!" and "WE'LL BEAT THEM WITH THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP" over and over and not get bored.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Be honest, it is because you're numb to it. My lady was making a salad in the kitchen the other day and during a quiet pause I hear, "FLORA HEALS AN ACHING SOUL."

^burtle fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 19, 2017

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

^burtle posted:

Be honest, it is because you're numb to it. My lady was making a salad in the kitchen the other day and during a quiet pause I hear, "FLORA HEALS AN ACHING SOUL" shouted from the kitchen.

My roommate did that for "LET'S SHOW THEM A THING OR THREE"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

bizarre deformity posted:

My wife finds the battle phrases super annoying in this game (especially Tora's) and can't understand why I don't. It's partially because I need to know what they're doing in battle, but also because I could listen to Rex shout "NOW I'M FIRED UUUUUUUUUP!" and "WE'LL BEAT THEM WITH THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP" over and over and not get bored.

^burtle posted:

Be honest, it is because you're numb to it. My lady was making a salad in the kitchen the other day and during a quiet pause I hear, "FLORA HEALS AN ACHING SOUL" shouted from the kitchen.

I really like the chatter as well, and Nia's great for it, but yeah Dromarch procs constantly so that one does get a bit annoying.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

chumbler posted:

I really like the chatter as well, and Nia's great for it, but yeah Dromarch procs constantly so that one does get a bit annoying.

Nia's banter is fantastic

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
What do I have to do to get a blade with that drat orb master passive. :negative:

Evil Fluffy posted:

Got to the final chapter last night and the cutscene it plays showing Klaus destroying the old universe was fun.

It was also nice getting just over 130k exp from fighting Jin and then the unsurprisingly evil elf pope Amalthus and jumping 4-5 levels on everyone. Sitting at level 68 on my main team and still got my giant mountain of quest xp to burn if I'd have any need to give everyone a bunch of levels for the final stretch.

I looked this up just last night as well and one method I saw mention was to run the 'stomach of the dragon' quest (or whatever it's called) in Uraya. It opens access to a level 65 unique enemy who can drop legendary cores, including when you hit them with a driver combo (break/topple/launch/smash). So you'll want to be level 55-60 to do it, maybe lower works if you have a crazy powerful team.

Get some gold chips (chain attack kill the lvl 60 flying fish/dragon things in temp) so you can give them to everyone to boost item drop rates, since that affects item drops from driver combos and not just kills, and then setup a party that can driver combo repeatedly.
Give everyone pouch items to boost drive skill recharge rate and spam driver combos on the enemy.
Give Rex an overclock bangle as well so you can swap blades faster too.
Bring Nia with blades that can cause break and use Rex for topple (Pyra), launch (any axe), and smash (only available to Rex via Roc's twin scythes). Rex with an overclock bangle ensures you can switch between your blades fast enough. A video I watched of a Japanese player doing this was landing a full driver combo every 30 seconds or so, maybe faster, and got multiple legendary core drops (and a lot of level 5 aux cores) in a single fix.

I'm going to give it a try today as well. Need to grab a couple gold chips first because I imagine only the chip of the blade that's active affects drop rates so I at least one one on my Smash blade.

I just did this a couple times and had 1-2 legendary cores drop from driver combos per fight, all 9 blades in my party have gold chips but none of them have additional item drop boosts (like Adenine gets). The only downside is the enemy likes to back up on their platform so some items can fall off, but you can drop down to grab them if it's a core. You get a ton of gold chips , among other items, during this process too. Smash can create medium/large potions so even when the boss focuses on Rex he doesn't die unless they use whatever ability hits Rex for 5.5-6k damage. When that happens Nia revives him and Tora just tanks properly though.

I also gave Nia an accessory that lowers break resistance. Even with an overclock bangle on I still have to wait for cooldowns to swap blades sometimes because you just cycle driver combos that fast. It's pretty crazy. If I do a first or second stage blade combo I can keep the element effect on the enemy forever as well. I don't though, because it adds a delay to every combo hit and there's no reason to bother.

I opened 6-7 legendary cores and 2 rare cores. Got Ursula and Floren on the 5th party member, and Agate on Nia. :confuoot:

There might be more efficient means (the enemy loving to fight on the edge of their platform is annoying as hell), but if you're level 55+ you can farm legendary cores this way. I'd suggest clearing out the regular enemies in the room too because having someone fall and pull aggro on them is annoying.

Pollyanna posted:

Tora/Nia for Break. Rex for Topple, Launch(Tora has this too), and Smash.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Man, there better be a good reward behind this level 9 Electric Mastery test.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

chumbler posted:

Rex's line when you fall you to your death is amazing.

"That was...poorly judged!"

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I have this blade with the most annoying mr meeseeks voice and I have to tolerate her because she has Orb master. Just listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2JytTRFj7Y

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I was saving my beast core for whatever character I got after Tora, and I'm glad I did because it fits Moran's look perfectly. Also got the huge gun lady for her which looks even more perfect with her style.

I'm really enjoying the game even if it took a really long time to get more party members, and the game is telling me I've spent like 65 hours playing even though I'm only on chapter 5. There's no way that's right, that's just silly.

Also, I have no idea how anyone could change the voices to Japanese. Nia alone completely justifies this English dub, and I can't imagine what she would sound like with any other voice.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I'm in chapter five and I can't wait to GET UP ON THE TITAN'S BACK!

Never mind that boss was dumb I take it back

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

If you put the console into sleep mode before going to the home screen the in game clock keeps going, my play time is like 150 hours because of that. i'm really enjoying this goofy game but not that much

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I'd like nth the guess that rares are gated by chapter progression. End of chapter 6, opened 20 cores and got nothing. Start of ch 7, opened 5 and got 3 rares.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I've gotten absolutely nothing from the rare cores, all the unique guys I've gotten have been from common ones.

It hasn't struck me as a particularly bad system, but it's also not a great one. They probably should have just given you the unique ones from specific events. Hell, they already do that with some of them.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Momomo posted:

Also, I have no idea how anyone could change the voices to Japanese. Nia alone completely justifies this English dub, and I can't imagine what she would sound like with any other voice.

Yeah I feel the same. Nia is just great. She's my favorite. :3: I love Rex's goofy Scottish(?) accent, and I love that the folks with American accents are all bad guys.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Kinda wish green-haired super saiyan Pyra/Mythra had a unique name. Pythra? Myra?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bass Bottles posted:

Kinda wish green-haired super saiyan Pyra/Mythra had a unique name. Pythra? Myra?

Kefla? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Bass Bottles posted:

You will learn more at the end of the game.