Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

God that vampire was an ugly rear end tattoo for someone who’s been doing it for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The vampire's index finger only has one joint.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Yeah that ep was awkward. Kelly's Goon sarcasm still shines through though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah the episode was worth it for her jokes about Jesus' exoskeleton. :v:

zee is zae
Nov 7, 2004

(Don't run away, it's only me)
Yeah. That was totally the pilot. It was filmed well before anything else. I didn’t know they were even going to air it until a couple weeks ago.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

zee is zae posted:

Yeah. That was totally the pilot. It was filmed well before anything else. I didn’t know they were even going to air it until a couple weeks ago.

Do people come off as delusional in person as they do in the screen? There's been some real scratchers that the artist seemed way to happy with. That white dude on this episode for example.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I'm waiting for the two eliminated contestants to realize if they vote their competitor through, that's a few weeks of bookings that will need to be snatched up by someone

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Are we gonna get more Redemption fodder out of Angels? I love Dave's interactions with the canvases.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Are we gonna get more Redemption fodder out of Angels? I love Dave's interactions with the canvases.

Do they tell the canvasses to act crazy and heated when they talk to the artists? Everyone in that show is SO ANGRY HOLY COW

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You can tell they are told to act like that. One second they're yelling and then next second they're hugging.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Invalid Validation posted:

You can tell they are told to act like that. One second they're yelling and then next second they're hugging.

I assumed, but then I think about how bad your impulse control is that you volunteer to get tattoos in a competition setting where your artist is selected by lottery and then given an assignment meant to gently caress them up.

zee is zae
Nov 7, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

Do people come off as delusional in person as they do in the screen? There's been some real scratchers that the artist seemed way to happy with. That white dude on this episode for example.

It’s a mixed bag. Some people are definitely that delusional. Some people are definitely hamming it up for the camera. Some people can back it up and others can’t. There’s no solid formula as to who’s gonna act nuts.

I seriously hope they take some of the people on redemption. I would be very interested in that.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm really glad that both people I tattooed were actually really nice. I wish I could have kept in touch, I'd like to see the tattoos I did healed.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You do good work I wish I could be artistic.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Kelly got so crazy excited when she was talking about bats, I love her so much :allears:

I'm just now getting caught up and that was my favorite moment in any Ink Master show so far. Bats!!! You rule, Kelly.

As a Baltimore native, I wish they found someone better than Tony DeVille. Yikes.

cis autodrag posted:

Do they tell the canvasses to act crazy and heated when they talk to the artists? Everyone in that show is SO ANGRY HOLY COW

The first season of Redemption seemed candid and authentic, like Dave and the camera crew would get caught off guard by how the client would react. The seasons after that seem coached and rehearsed, like typical reality TV.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I remember the goon who worked on set doing the talking head segments. They said a lot of the contestants will say whatever to help push the narrative, but you know some people like Christian are a producer's wet dream because he'll do whatever he can to create TV drama. Also that room has a train right outside that always fucks with production.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

We are also really directed to push the envelope. For example: I'm not one do yell "Let's DO THIS!" for any reason whatsoever etc.

zee is zae
Nov 7, 2004

Mob posted:

I remember the goon who worked on set doing the talking head segments. They said a lot of the contestants will say whatever to help push the narrative, but you know some people like Christian are a producer's wet dream because he'll do whatever he can to create TV drama. Also that room has a train right outside that always fucks with production.

It’s an airport and I swear to god it’s infuriating. The planes are so loud.

Christian is a good dude who just don’t give a poo poo. He’s basically a loudmouth Boston stereotype but not from Boston.
They want you to be super enthusiastic. Drama is cool but they actually hate it when it’s super forced and fake. Really the big thing they want is energy. I’m not wicked aggressive, but I get really visibly nervous and panicky and awkward and they’ll take energy where they can get it. Apparently.
I think people just feel like they NEED to be hyper aggressive because it’s TV.

Gatos Y Vatos, for instance, beat the living poo poo out of a dude with his fists all while yelling “LETS DO THIS” over and over. It was a spectacle.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Lol

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

zee is zae posted:

Gatos Y Vatos, for instance, beat the living poo poo out of a dude with his fists all while yelling “LETS DO THIS” over and over. It was a spectacle.

Would you say he was.....

Heavy handed?

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Turns out season 10, Return of the Masters, started tonight. That was quick. If there's interest, I'll make a new thread for next week.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I like how they did the team picks. Seems promising of a season

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah that was a great first episode. It was hilarious watching poor ol' Steve sitting there trying to keep his cool while all the best artists went to the other team leaders. :v:

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I wish they would have highlighted the winners of Angels because I kinda forgot who won.

Team Steve lol and who told Steve that's a working hair cut?

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I wish they would have highlighted the winners of Angels because I kinda forgot who won.

Team Steve lol and who told Steve that's a working hair cut?

Daniel, Deanna, and Sparks are the ones I remember. I'm rooting for the Daniel/Anthony combo right now.

A few others were eliminated. The woman who did the white bird that they criticized and some other guy who did nothing notable enough for me to remember two days later.

Also loving how no one wanted to be on Steve's team, but actually surprised how many wanted to be on Team DJ. Team Anthony all the way.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Fru Fru posted:

Team Anthony all the way.

:agreed: Rooting for him and his team

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
I felt bad for Steve, felt like some of the less experienced people (and there are a ton this season!) probably should have gone with him.
Show desperately needs Kelly to jump out and yell "STOP TATTOOING!" every time. Best part of Angels.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
That blonde chick who washed out in the first ep needs to have her tools seized by the government

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
Sparks needs to get his head out of his rear end and take a goddamn critique. I’ve been in writers workshops and I understand how brutal it is to have your work torn apart like that. But you don’t attack the experienced person trying to help you.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bitchymcjones posted:

Sparks needs to get his head out of his rear end and take a goddamn critique. I’ve been in writers workshops and I understand how brutal it is to have your work torn apart like that. But you don’t attack the experienced person trying to help you.

He seemed kind've withdrawn and not really in-your-face the rest of the time so I'm guessing he may have some sort of social anxiety issues which make him super defensive when he gets pushed into a corner. Of course if that is the case then becoming a contestant on a reality TV show which is pretty much designed to push him into corners as often as possible was probably not the best idea he's ever had.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ha ha ha ha there was no way that Sparks was surviving this episode, DJ could have just announced it on day 1 and saved the rest of the team from going through the motions in the elimination challenge. :v:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Which is really disappointing since Sparks is a much better tattooist than that piece was. Ah well. Check his Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sparks_electrictattooing/

He's also a super nice guy. I've known him and his wife for years.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Which is really disappointing since Sparks is a much better tattooist than that piece was. Ah well. Check his Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sparks_electrictattooing/

He's also a super nice guy. I've known him and his wife for years.

Oh drat I love most of those. I'd get that Grimlock 'Reach For The Stars' tattoo in a heartbeat

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Josh needs to get kicked in his weird small dick.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I feel like most of the people on these shows are pretty good artists but the show really fucks with you. I’d hate to be on DJs team.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It does really gently caress with you. I’m glad I did it but I’ll never compete on one of these again.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Invalid Validation posted:

I feel like most of the people on these shows are pretty good artists but the show really fucks with you. I’d hate to be on DJs team.

Yeah, I don't really judge anyone by the tattoos they do in this show, but I absolutely judge the people who respond to the stress by being jerks to everyone else.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
I know I said mean things about Sparks a week ago, but I do like his work.

I think he would have done better if he wasn’t on a team. You can’t take critiques as personally as he did on the show, even though they can absolutely feel like personal attacks. You pour so much if yourself into your art and you have to be able to separate yourself from your art for criticism to be constructive. That alone is hard enough, but then when you have extra people giving that criticism it has to feel like an echo chamber.

That being said, every reality competition show is made to expose your every weakness and gently caress with your head. Few people can handle that kind of stress.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bitchymcjones posted:

That being said, every reality competition show is made to expose your every weakness and gently caress with your head. Few people can handle that kind of stress.

There's a few nice ones where they try to be supportive and avoid drama but they're definitely a tiny minority.

The hosts Mel and Sue on the original version of The Great British Bake Off actually went out of their way to stop drama from happening, during the first season when the producers were trying to stir up conflict on set they told them to cut that poo poo out or they'd quit. If any of the contestants got flustered and started crying they'd go stand near them and "use un-airable language" so the producers couldn't use the footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

bitchymcjones posted:

That being said, every reality competition show is made to expose your every weakness and gently caress with your head.

Look at this guy who's never seen Face Off