Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
Woohoo, went out and got myself a series 3 non-cellular version.

Is there an app out there that integrates Google Maps with the watch? Would be cool to get a mini display of the surrounding area and/or the navigation directions.
I tried using apple maps, but sadly I couldn’t get used to the phone app, the way it spins around, zooms, and translates of its own accord. Tough for me to follow when not watching the phone all the time i.e. driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Hackjack posted:

Woohoo, went out and got myself a series 3 non-cellular version.

Is there an app out there that integrates Google Maps with the watch? Would be cool to get a mini display of the surrounding area and/or the navigation directions.
I tried using apple maps, but sadly I couldn’t get used to the phone app, the way it spins around, zooms, and translates of its own accord. Tough for me to follow when not watching the phone all the time i.e. driving.

Apple maps really works well with the watch. Nice easy directions, distinct vibrations for left and right turns. Sorry.

I use Apple when I want my wrist to buzz, google when I don’t.

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013

eddiewalker posted:

Apple maps really works well with the watch. Nice easy directions, distinct vibrations for left and right turns. Sorry.

I use Apple when I want my wrist to buzz, google when I don’t.

I never really used navigation until a year or two ago when I moved to a big city, so that's a big reason why I'm not too familiar with this technology. Definitely appreciate being able to look down at the phone screen once in a while and figure out what's going on.

I'll definitely give Apple Maps more tries.

I'm actually a little surprised that Google Maps hasn't made an app for the Apple Watch yet. It seems like there's a large market segment there to capture. It's unfortunate that Apple Maps doesn't seem to be quite there yet in available functionality that I'm looking for.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I don’t really like navigation on my watch. I’d rather glance over at my phone in its mount for a second than try to focus on a tiny screen on my wrist. It’s less time I have to take my eyes off the road. I also drive a stick shift, so raising my wrist takes my hand off the shifter. The buzzes in the watch are fine though.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I just like the buzzes to make me look at the screen real quick so I can turn voice navigation off and not have my music/podcast interrupted. It's nice.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The tones on the watch for left and right turns are different so once you pick up on that you don’t even need to really look at the Watch.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I don’t really like navigation on my watch. I’d rather glance over at my phone in its mount for a second than try to focus on a tiny screen on my wrist. It’s less time I have to take my eyes off the road. I also drive a stick shift, so raising my wrist takes my hand off the shifter. The buzzes in the watch are fine though.

Your hand shouldn't be on your hand except when shifting.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Is the S3 worth it over the S2? I can get a refurb s2 stainless for the price of an S3 aluminium, and the sapphire glass would be nice (I’m a klutz)

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Frank Dillinger posted:

Is the S3 worth it over the S2? I can get a refurb s2 stainless for the price of an S3 aluminium, and the sapphire glass would be nice (I’m a klutz)

Only if you really like the stainless steel or if you really feel like you need that sapphire glass.

Otherwise, the same truism applies to all Apple products: Buy the most advanced Apple product you can at your price-point.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Apple Watch is part of Best Buy's deal of the day today; a couple of stainless steel S2's on sale. 42mm Space Black with sport band is $349. 42mm silver stainless steel with Milanese Loop is $449.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I also recently got an S3 and had some navigation questions. I dgaf about the watch directions while driving, I already have a phone mount up in my field of vision for that purpose. Where I want the watch integration is for bicycle riding directions. I know there's a ton of workout apps for biking and Strava is popular, but I want Apple maps directions for it.

Google maps has an option to search for bike routes when looking for directions, but Apple maps doesn't. The difference between driving and biking directions can be significant at times, so I wish I could get the turn by turn integration of biking directions on my watch.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I ended up finding a 42mm space black stainless with sport band at a discount store for $318 (unopened brand new) so I returned the Milanese look one I had bought at Best Buy.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

bawfuls posted:

I also recently got an S3 and had some navigation questions. I dgaf about the watch directions while driving, I already have a phone mount up in my field of vision for that purpose. Where I want the watch integration is for bicycle riding directions. I know there's a ton of workout apps for biking and Strava is popular, but I want Apple maps directions for it.

Google maps has an option to search for bike routes when looking for directions, but Apple maps doesn't. The difference between driving and biking directions can be significant at times, so I wish I could get the turn by turn integration of biking directions on my watch.

This is something I wish I could do too. Both a bike-friendly route finder with turn vibrations (because getting lost and stopping to navigate every 2 minutes sucks), but also one designed for circular routes. It's absurdly hard to make a round trip to/from home, coming and going different ways, on a route of your choosing, using regular map apps.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Now that I'm a couple months in, I'd figure I'd check in and offer my opinion on the usefulness of LTE. For me, so far, I've yet to be in a situation where I needed it, or rather there was a time when I couldn't carry my phone. It's really no burden to carry the phone. When I leave my phone behind, I feel like I'm going to need it and I eventually do. I thought maybe it'll help me disconnect when I'm out and about, but I don't think it's a problem I have. I do use my phone a lot, but rarely when I'm spending quality time with someone else or out at night. I got enough discipline.

Considering the X is now pretty compact, I don't run outside of a gym, and I'm not really engaged in watery activities, it's not worth the $10 a month. Now if I were outdoor runner or still lived in FL where I'd go to the beach/pools/waterparks all the time, I would probably keep it.

With that said, I will say the SS is totally worth it. My last watch was a sport S0 and I got scratched the gently caress up weeks in and eventually had a tiny crack. My SS still looks as new as the day I bought it.

Yeah I feel like it's safer to just use your phone on the car mount. It's alright if you're in a rental or someone else car that doesn't have a mount. Watch navigation is awesome for walking though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The LTE owns for running and not bringing a bigass phone with me, but yeah $10/month is silly.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Whats the best weather app with a working watch complication?

I love dark sky but the thing never updates on the watch. I have looked at carrot and beweather free (but that does not include the watch app).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hmm, I got a new phone and now the read count on my SMS complication isn't marking messages as read.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

badjohny posted:

Whats the best weather app with a working watch complication?

I love dark sky but the thing never updates on the watch. I have looked at carrot and beweather free (but that does not include the watch app).

Carrot Weather is good though there’s a small subscription cost per year for the better watchOS features.

Also - default weather app is pretty good if you’re unwilling to shell out for a subscription.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Dick Nipples posted:

Carrot Weather is good though there’s a small subscription cost per year for the better watchOS features.

Also - default weather app is pretty good if you’re unwilling to shell out for a subscription.

Seconded; Carrot's complications are the best.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Are there any good knockoffs of the leather loop for 38mm?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I was thinking about picking this up. Anyone have experience with it? I like the idea of no buckle under my wrist for typing.

https://formfunctionform.com/product/button-stud-apple-watch-band/

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

HungryMedusa posted:

I was thinking about picking this up. Anyone have experience with it? I like the idea of no buckle under my wrist for typing.

https://formfunctionform.com/product/button-stud-apple-watch-band/

Loved that same band for normal watches. It’s a really well run business by a guy that cares. I emailed him that the leather on a band I ordered from was different that a previous one I had from him. Said he changed his leather stock but he had a few pieces left of the old stuff and sent me a replacement right away.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Encountering a weird problem with my watch crown. It will scroll, but squeezing the crown to go back to the home face has stopped working, trapping me in whatever app I am in. About to do a reset on it, but has anyone else had this problem? I have a series 2 42mm sport on the latest OS.

Edit: the crown will “push” but it doesn’t register. When doing a hard reset, I get the SOS alarm, and I can’t use the home button function of it at all. Got an appointment with Apple, after doing their support chat, but still curious if anyone has had this before. It feels like a bug from the most recent OS update, there hasn’t been an issue with that crown before.

Anya fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 25, 2017

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Opioid posted:

Loved that same band for normal watches. It’s a really well run business by a guy that cares. I emailed him that the leather on a band I ordered from was different that a previous one I had from him. Said he changed his leather stock but he had a few pieces left of the old stuff and sent me a replacement right away.

Cool, I think I will go for it. It's a really clever design, good to hear the customer service matches that.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Husband surprised me with a S3 cellular today. I had mentioned in passing a few months ago that my S0 was so slow. Shocked when I opened. I can’t believe how fast it is!

We also got my mom a S3 and she like it but doesn’t have the patience to fiddle with it. Is there a website or something that helps explain all the cool things the watch can do?

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Husband surprised me with a S3 cellular today. I had mentioned in passing a few months ago that my S0 was so slow. Shocked when I opened. I can’t believe how fast it is!

We also got my mom a S3 and she like it but doesn’t have the patience to fiddle with it. Is there a website or something that helps explain all the cool things the watch can do?

This doesn’t cover everything, but there’s now an Apple Watch collection in the Tips app.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I just got one too and wonder if there are a lot of alternate faces? Or is it restricted to whatever is on here.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Vintersorg posted:

I just got one too and wonder if there are a lot of alternate faces? Or is it restricted to whatever is on here.

There are only the faces Apple supplies.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
You used to be able to listen to any Apple Music on your Apple Watch but since the S3 you can only listen to music you’ve synced to your phone or specialized playlists Apple Watch curates for you. Why?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Grassy Knowles posted:

There are only the faces Apple supplies.

There’s a surprising amount of complexity and depth there once you factor in all the colors and complications and flourishes tho.

I got an S3 for Christmas and I’m still working out my watch face game. Wish you could save different profiles or ‘playlists’ of faces. Also wish there was a color-cycling option.

Otherwise A+, fully embracing the futureman fruit life. It and PSVR are a good weird pair of Christmas spoils for a scary turd of a year.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I picked up a Series 3 LTE and as I am wont to do I read a shitload of reviews before I pulled the trigger...

Do people really not know what the red dot is for? There seems to be universal consensus that the red dot is to shame the people that didn't buy the expensive newest Apple Watch but it seems pretty clear to me that it was put there because so many facilities ban cellular devices but not smart watches, this is in fact the reason a lot of Apple Watches are sold in the first place. I'm almost certain it was put there and so prominently because Apple was worried about blanket bans of Apple Watches if it wasn't incredibly easy to tell a cellular one from one without cellular.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 29, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's to look bad so you feel bad about spending excess money on a feature you will probably never use enough to justify it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

It's to look bad so you feel bad about spending excess money on a feature you will probably never use enough to justify it.

Probably but it's not that much money and I am full of dread and anxiety when I don't have access to my cell phone so I feel like it's going to be the kind of thing that seems like a total waste of money 99% of the time and then 1% of the time I will be very glad I have it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Endless Mike posted:

Counterpoint: we got one for my mom because she is constantly leaving her phone behind when she goes out.

So maybe that’s the secret use case Apple had in mind — olds :thunk:

That said my husband got me one as a gift and I didn’t have the heart to tell him I didn’t need the LTE. I guess I can leave my phone behind on my lunch walks now :shrug:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You don't have to activate the LTE.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

You don't have to activate the LTE.

If you buy it on an installment plan I think you do, otherwise it's free for 3 months so no reason not to.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah don’t buy a ~400 smartwatch on an installment plan. If you can’t afford it outright without an additional monthly service charge don’t buy it.

And don’t activate LTE for free for 3 months if you don’t plan on using it. That offer will likely always be there in some form.

Use the watch and see if you really miss the feature that costs you money per month.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

sellouts posted:

Yeah don’t buy a ~400 smartwatch on an installment plan. If you can’t afford it outright without an additional monthly service charge don’t buy it.

And don’t activate LTE for free for 3 months if you don’t plan on using it. That offer will likely always be there in some form.

Use the watch and see if you really miss the feature that costs you money per month.

I'm balancing on this, absolutely do not buy something you can't afford without an installment plan but an interest free loan is an interest free loan. I have two friends that have purchased LTE Apple watches, both on installment plans. One works at a place that allows cell phones but not ones with cameras so basically no cellphones, he bought it on an installment plan because interest free loan and he knows for a fact that he is going to use LTE everyday all the time. Another friend has no money but really wanted an Apple Watch, he is an idiot.

I was on the fence on what Apple Watch I wanted, LTE sounded nice but I was considering trying to find a new Series 2 which was basically impossible, I decided to just spring for the extra $70 and paid full price just because it sounded like a nice feature, I was already blowing Christmas bonus money and didn't want to commit to a larger bill every month.

Coincidently today turned out to be one of those days that I thought I would love an LTE watch, phone was almost dead, I was going to charge it in my car. Got in my car, it was dead so I called a Lyft with an almost dead phone, and had plans between work and home otherwise I would have been semi-panicking about, tonight NBD. Tonight that was easily worth $40 to me, I figure something similar will come up at least 2 more times in the next year.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 30, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Probably but it's not that much money and I am full of dread and anxiety when I don't have access to my cell phone so I feel like it's going to be the kind of thing that seems like a total waste of money 99% of the time and then 1% of the time I will be very glad I have it.

Am I terrible for agreeing with this?

I think $10/month is highway robbery for using data I’ve already paid for. But I got the LTE version. I don’t use LTE 95% of the time since I have my phone with me, but for the 5% I don’t (outside, on a run, whatever), it makes me feel like it’s kind of worth it. It’s still a ripoff though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I went to the beach today and decided to leave my phone at home and just take the Watch/AirPods. It was really loving nice to answer a few calls and messages I got while there and not worry about dragging my phone around. I even answered a phone call while in the water. It was gimmicky as poo poo (and also windy so the other person couldn’t hear me well) but I did and it was great.

LTE sucks battery like crazy, though. I was out 6 hours or so and I got home with the watch down to 11%.