Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you can also write in whatever language and expose it via com and then do the wiring in vba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's good to have tools that let people accomplish things they couldn't otherwise without tons of specialized knowledge, on the other hand, the method by which they accomplish these things is often absolutely terrible

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

apple’s tv remote in iOS control center doesn’t have keyboard input and their remote app still hasn’t been updated for iPhone X

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol typing just yell that poo poo in

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

nah VBA is critically important and its one reason office competitors are a joke.

thinks the web would be better off without javascript, says vba is "critically important".

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

AWWNAW posted:

apple’s tv remote in iOS control center doesn’t have keyboard input and their remote app still hasn’t been updated for iPhone X

it does for me (with a second gen AppleTV). i just go to a page to type in something (like a search) and my phone vibrates and then switches to the keyboard right away. i hit return and then I can arrow over to the right side to pick the search result.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol typing just yell that poo poo in

hell yeah this is easily better than reaching for a phone and all that. siri remote is surprisingly functional

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

thinks the web would be better off without javascript, says vba is "critically important".

vba is both better than javascript and used for more important tasks

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I don’t want to shout out my creepy password letter by letter with guests over

otherwise yeah the dictation is fine

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

vba is both better than javascript and used for more important tasks

like spreading malware?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that's a javascript thing

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Shaggar posted:

you can also write in whatever language and expose it via com and then do the wiring in vba.

lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
apple eyes play store success, dives in on knock-off apps

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i once worked on a tool that relied on VBA (not vb6!) to query an oracle DB and output word documents

same but javascript with a barely documented ole layer

the javascript was stored in database tables

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Soricidus posted:

the javascript was stored in database tables

That's pretty much every web based CMS ever though?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Plorkyeran posted:

it's $1 to find out if a new battery would make your phone work gooder

if your phone battery is failing/worn out, it displays an alert when you check what is using your battery so much in settings

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

MrMoo posted:

That's pretty much every web based CMS ever though?

i forgot to mention two things

one, this wasn’t web based. the javascript was running in a third party reporting product using a very bad interpreter. I managed to crash it by putting a nul byte in a regex.

two, when I say javascript stored in tables, I mean one line of code per row

hmm, this probably belongs in the coding horrors thread ...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

who was it that was saying apple wasn't iOSifying macOS apps?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that's the same rumor that triggered the discussion in the first place

I'd guess this is more of a ploy to get more ios devs to make mac apps but it will fail like these kinds of things always do

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

but UWP has been such a stunning success!

also i thought that discussion had started because of the ui/design mockups someone linked to, i missed this

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

that was me. reusing code is not the same as using the same UI

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hot take

quote:

So are they admitting it was a bad idea to make them different in the first place? Or maybe someone has finally invented a way to get cursor pointer indication on ios along with right-mouse functionality.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
thats actually a great obvious idea. im surprised it has taken this long. any company with the ios dev wealth would push to get them on their other platforms.

it doesnt always work (like for the watch) but youd be stupid not to try

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Last Chance posted:

that was me. reusing code is not the same as using the same UI

the vast majority of mobile apps are just a front end to some kind of remotely hosted service so the UI is frequently most of the app

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
the "new New NEW this will be new and thus 100% good!" brigade is out in force about this.

also, the number of people who have no idea how apps are made ("but if they can put different iPhone and iPad interfaces in the same app, why not also macOS?" "why did they ever make them separate?") yet Have Opinions about this is staggering yet unsurprising.

i hope you all like your gutted iOSX apps, which can only made to work together in ways that apple and the app developers thought of ahead of time via some restrictive, sandboxed documents model, just like on iOS. and they'll probably add a bunch more pointless complexity to iOS while they're at it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Doc Block posted:

the "new New NEW this will be new and thus 100% good!" brigade is out in force about this.

also, the number of people who have no idea how apps are made ("but if they can put different iPhone and iPad interfaces in the same app, why not also macOS?" "why did they ever make them separate?") yet Have Opinions about this is staggering yet unsurprising.

i hope you all like your gutted iOSX apps, which can only made to work together in ways that apple and the app developers thought of ahead of time via some restrictive, sandboxed documents model, just like on iOS. and they'll probably add a bunch more pointless complexity to iOS while they're at it.

infernal machines posted:

but UWP has been such a stunning success!

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

poty posted:

thats actually a great obvious idea. im surprised it has taken this long. any company with the ios dev wealth would push to get them on their other platforms.

it doesnt always work (like for the watch) but youd be stupid not to try

i can't wait for apps on macOS that were clearly designed around single window touch-based interfaces with mouse support bolted on. i would 100% expect there to be at least a few apps that involve swiping with the mouse, like you do in the iOS Simulator in Xcode.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the next series of macbook will have a touch screen, continuing apple's trend of using terrible ideas microsoft had five years ago

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

that notice does not appear for me despite my battery being at 60% of original capacity and throttling appearing to be in effect

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

because your battery doesn't need to be serviced yet, qed

poty
Jun 21, 2008

yes if microsoft fails at something its not worth trying because ms always nails execution

it has never happened that ms has done a thing and it flops and then apple does it and it generates the gdp of a small country in revenue

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's not a question of microsoft failing at it, it's a terrible idea, even if apple succeeds

ufarn
May 30, 2009
microsoft have also become amazing at emulation at this point, it was just a terrible implementation, and windows rt could not have had a more repulsive ui and ux if they tried

windows apps still feel like you're running a vm or something; if they could just have them act and feel like regular programs, it'd be an awesome feature

poty
Jun 21, 2008

more mac apps is better than less mac apps

it would be great if every dev in the world was like panic and rogue amoeba and handcrafted mac apps lovingly over many years but the truth is that theyre not

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
more lovely apps is just what the mac needs

NOT!
-borat

ufarn
May 30, 2009
i'd feel a lot better about this if apple had pretended to care more about vetting in the app store, i just want to expect the worst with timb at the helm, not because it's inherently a bad idea

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i'd imagine ios/osx crossover apps would be like UWP where in some cases a shared UI design that scales based on app size/ratio is appropriate but in other cases you get a totally different UI with the same codebase.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL i just remembered the game Space Age, which was originally designed for iOS and then ported to the Mac. the porting was so sloppily done that to scroll around the game world you click and drag instead of moving the mouse to the edge of the screen or using the keyboard like every other game. they seem to have just copy/pasted the touch input code for the mouse input code and called it a day.

can't wait to have to "swipe" with the mouse in my desktop apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AWWNAW posted:

uh yes it does