Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
Yeah, you're right. My brain's a little fried after finals, but the 5 valves were good, too. I'm purposely not fiddling with anything mechanical for a few days to avoid the potential failures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Faster Blaster posted:

Yeah, you're right. My brain's a little fried after finals, but the 5 valves were good, too.

... they were?

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
Mine is? It isn't fast. Or fuel efficient. Or roomy. Or pretty. Or easy to work on. Well, when you put a lot of work into something, you get attached!
<:mad:>

don't jinx it :shepicide:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Faster Blaster posted:

Mine is? It isn't fast. Or fuel efficient. Or roomy. Or pretty. Or easy to work on. Well, when you put a lot of work into something, you get attached!
<:mad:>

don't jinx it :shepicide:

Should've gotten a 5 cylinder.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
This is what happens when you don't inspect and clean a bandsaw regularly. Only noticed after a snapped blade.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

This is what happens when you don't inspect and clean a bandsaw regularly. Only noticed after a snapped blade.

Did you go at that bearing race with an angle grinder to remove the dust shield or was that the result of "saw operator bob's" last day on the job?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I think the bearing was seized so that's the backside of the blade.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I think the bearing was seized so that's the backside of the blade.

Bingo. The seal popped off with the lightest touch from a pick.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Not as bad as some I've seen, but this was at my mechanic's shop:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's not even down to the rotor change notification fins.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Aren't those fins there to let you know you got half of it left??

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
You guys talking about the wear bars?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

You guys talking about the wear bars?

I'm confused about rotor wear bars. I thought that when the bars were flush, the rotor was done. My mechanic was pretty shocked when I went in and I still had 5/32" left. Said my rotor was WELL past replacing. I think the guy was just fishing for a rube he could con into unneeded parts replacement.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Rotors are done when they have cracks you can catch your nail in that extend to the edge or they are thinner than the manufacturer min thickness spec.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Rotors are done when they have cracks you can catch your nail in that extend to the edge or they are thinner than the manufacturer min thickness spec.

I dunno man, I've had a bunch of customers tell that there was totally a ton more meat on them rotors I can cut!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's because mechanics are all in the pocket of big auto and are just trying to screw everyone with huge repair bills so they can make a down payment on their third vacation home.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Heat dissipation is for bitches.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Also, rotors for common cars can cost up to thousandsof pennies so they shouldn't just be replaced nilly willy!

(I love the Haynes manuals take on this. It's like it's written during the war. "Take off the rotor. Carefully inspect it, removing rust with a fine emery cloth. Then take it to the village blacksmith and have it turned, then balance it with a dremel and and old bike fork. Nevermind that by now you've spent 30 hours on something you can have delivered to your door for twenty bucks.")

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

bolind posted:

Also, rotors for common cars can cost up to thousandsof pennies so they shouldn't just be replaced nilly willy!

(I love the Haynes manuals take on this. It's like it's written during the war. "Take off the rotor. Carefully inspect it, removing rust with a fine emery cloth. Then take it to the village blacksmith and have it turned, then balance it with a dremel and and old bike fork. Nevermind that by now you've spent 30 hours on something you can have delivered to your door for twenty bucks.")

Old bike fork? Dremel? Luxury! Balance rotors by sitting them on a cricket ball and give the side that tips down a kiss with a file.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Dunno, that sounds preferable to their frequent "[component] is too complicated for home overhaul and should be replaced as a unit". gently caress you, if you don't want to do it, at least give me a page of tolerances and fastener torques and let me sort myself out with it.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

InitialDave posted:

Dunno, that sounds preferable to their frequent "[component] is too complicated for home overhaul and should be replaced as a unit". gently caress you, if you don't want to do it, at least give me a page of tolerances and fastener torques and let me sort myself out with it.

I see that all the time in my British published Haynes for my Saab, which I accidentally ordered instead of the American version, but other American ones I've read rarely, if ever, have that.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Who's got the photo of the Haynes Manual rust repair with chicken wire?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Who's got the photo of the Haynes Manual rust repair with chicken wire?
That was me.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
More care and effort went into making that than every other chicken-wire and bondo rust repair in history, combined.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I guess this is worth reposting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsihrbrZnO0

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

InitialDave posted:

That was me.

I used to have that book.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

If only they'd known proper technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihK8mWH02rk

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

"Where *is* it?"
That's some loving sculpture, there.

God, that reminds me of my '68 El Camino, where they replaced the bed side on the driver's side. They over lapped the join, without a step, so had to make up the difference in Bondo. Then they filled in a dent in the front peak of the driver's front fender completely with Bondo. It was 1.5" thick. And fell out with a light tap.

edit: passenger fender.

See the red primered bit? That was shaped to match the other side entirely with Bondo.
You can also just see the red primer around the rear of the door opening where I was digging out the Bondo from the bed side replacement.
As annoying as that was, I wish I'd have kept it. 327/Powerglide, buckets and console. And it was my Grandad's (I put the Cragars on.)

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 19, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BobHoward posted:

If only they'd known proper technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihK8mWH02rk

Please tell me this was a joke.

I mean, seriously, wire brush the rust so it doesn't cause adhesion issues, and add some cheesecloth to that Bondo skin.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Rigged Death Trap posted:

A food processor is just a vertical lathe

Nah, that's the Rotato.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Darchangel posted:

Please tell me this was a joke.

I mean, seriously, wire brush the rust so it doesn't cause adhesion issues, and add some cheesecloth to that Bondo skin.

Looks like, it. I want the gently caress IT stamp, though.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I think it's somewhere between a joke and a cautionary tale. That finished door looked fuckin good

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

I think it's somewhere between a joke and a cautionary tale. That finished door looked fuckin good

The Roman arches were art.

edit: I wonder if they tried to roll down the window. I'm not so sure it would clear.
Before I realized they were joking, I was totally one of the two guys with the cigarettes. Just looking on in utter apathy, because I was so far past rage. Seen too much of that garbage done seriously. Thankfully, rust is nowhere as near prevalent in Texas.

There was this gem of a Durango I posted a while back though:

Not even Bondo - spray foam.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 20, 2017

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Create the "widebody" look on your car for cheap with this One Weird Tip!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Create the "widebody" look on your car for cheap with this One Weird Tip!

http://justsomething.co/old-junk-car/

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Whoever wrote this needs flaying alive.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

"Old junk car"

"Mercedes CLK"

I mean, yeah the earlier CLKs were from a dark period for Mercedes, but "old junk car" doesn't normally describe a 97-09 Mercedes to most people.

Also, yes, find the one who wrote this, and the flaying shall commence. And the owner needs to lay off the meth+coke+heroin+everythingelse.

At least with all the foam, the first carelessly discarded cigarette butt will put that car out of its misery..

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
It's Eastern Europe. The probability that that particular CLK hadn't been a total loss write off prior to being shipped to Russia and repaired by a guy with a winch and a gas torch using broken-down stolen shopping trolleys for filler rod is almost zero.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Whoever made that site should be flayed. Even with adblock, it managed three popup window and a Welcome Facebook user dialog box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

sharkytm posted:

Whoever made that site should be flayed. Even with adblock, it managed three popup window and a Welcome Facebook user dialog box.

Sounds about time for a link to Ling's Cars https://www.lingscars.com/