Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

What starters/FFs have the current rules/PAC? Anything currently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Completely tournament-legal team: Hela and 30 tribbles.

Can your 300 point army deal with an infinite swarm of Warrior Souls and a Hela who can heal over 30 clicks? Because I don't think it can.

food court bailiff posted:

What starters/FFs have the current rules/PAC? Anything currently?
Mighty Thor does, I'm not sure about Harley.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

CapnAndy posted:

Mighty Thor does, I'm not sure about Harley.

Harley is a fast forces, so it shouldn't. Right now, the only option is Mighty Thor, but the upcoming Star Trek set is also a starter.

DaMangoSentinel
Sep 10, 2010

Do I have to do it like this?
Can't say this enough, but the GCPD Officers from HQGG are nuts. 30 points for top dial Sidestep, Enhancement and Police TA? And they can drop other cops around them? I neutered a Chase Shazam with two of those guys and the Common Batman in my sealed.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Apparently the TMNT 4 set is going to be based off the old video games, and the sculpts are going to look 8-bit blocky. The Bebop prototype looks like Minecraft or something.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Steve Vader posted:

Apparently the TMNT 4 set is going to be based off the old video games, and the sculpts are going to look 8-bit blocky. The Bebop prototype looks like Minecraft or something.

Oh drat, if there was ever a set where I hoped they'd do a boxed set like they did with the first Turtles set. There could even be an underwater map that makes the game end after 12 turns.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
Star Trek Tactics IV also has a starter with modern PAC and rulebook.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Next week is 300 Golden, characters and standard objects only, plus it's Bizarro format. Were it higher-point I would use The Flashes and a bunch of Poison figures, but even then this should be fun. I'm considering Atom Smasher with his Flurry/11AV/3DV last click now that he can be TKed. I can't believe they've never properly remade him.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
That Flashpoint Superman from Flash is a king of bizarro format.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

That Flashpoint Superman from Flash is a king of bizarro format.

Oh, man, you're right. I'll have to see if I have it. Otherwise I'm looking at Recorder #451 and an Iron Man, probably with a Paramedic to heal Recorder #451 so it can give Iron Man one or more extra boosts, though a third would only help damage.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Bizarro format is always one of my favorites, but it's gotten to the point where it's so easy to abuse with last-click-only special powers that I don't run it any more. Back in the day, some of my favorites to run with it were the CD Man of Steel, with his 19 Defend on the last click, backing up CD Orion (12 attack/4 damage) or E. Legacy Joker (12/4 with Outwit).

Best thing that I ever saw out of the format was the last time that we ran it at Gen-Con. Someone cheesed it up by running three Bruce Banner alter ego figures from the Hulk set, with three Outback Hulks to turn into (the one with the defense power that only lets them take damage from doubles). Turn one, they all AE'd into the Hulks. Turn two, all three moved up. Turn three, an opposing Hawkeye triple-targeted all three Hulks, landed a critical hit, and KO'd all of them.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
Fist time I’ve been able to play in a couple weeks. 300 points true modern age. I was still annoyed at being told my team “wasn’t very good” when doing something fun last time I was out so I basically went hard as gently caress with cheese.

UXM Chase Magneto
Jakeem Thunder
Level 7 ID with Balls of Fury.
Green Arrow ID with elseworlds chase.

Yeah I’m not recapping because every single game ended in less then 10 minutes and I only lost 5, 10, and 10 points each round. I regret nothing because if you poo poo on me for trying to play fun I will get annoyed and do things like this. It also gets it out of my system for awhile.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Can you at least recap the response of the douche who mouthed off about your fun team when you murdered his team this time?

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

Can you at least recap the response of the douche who mouthed off about your fun team when you murdered his team this time?

"Well I'm not going to win this week".

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Isn't Bizarro format the only format that makes IIM Juggernaut useful?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Morand posted:

"Well I'm not going to win this week".

That's a little anticlimactic. I was expecting way more crybaby.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

That's a little anticlimactic. I was expecting way more crybaby.

He was ultra quiet and made comments about people playing what they want to play.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
We had our auction sealed event for Harley this past weekend. Eight people meant that we went through two bricks of Harley, plus some miscellaneous stuff. Everybody gets a bidding pool of $5, and we open the boosters up one by one, and bid on first pick from the booster, then second pick, and so on until everything is gone. Chases and primes go into the prize pool, and teams are built from what you bought. Leftover money can be spent as PCs for 25 cents each.

I went in wanting to buy up all the Secret Six that I could, and hedged bets by picking up Furies and various utility pieces. Dropped a lot of my bidding pool on Giganta, and then halfway through the second brick, we got a Secret Six booster... King Shark, Jeanette, Scandal, Knockout and Catman. Spent most of the rest of my money on King Shark and Scandal, and then made a big mistake in thinking that I already had six of them, and let the rest of the booster pass... turns out I only had five, and no others showed up.

So, I ended up having to run King Shark and Giganta on their little dials, Scandal, Catman, Knockout, and oldschool Red Tornado. Losing out on a theme hurt, but Tornado's 18 Defend on top of the Six bonus had most everybody sitting at a solid 19 defense.

Round one put me up against a mish-mash built around tons of Perplexers - Duchess, non-Bombshell Catwoman, two Big Tonys, Bud, vampire Batgirl, and the Lois Lane from BvS. This was a rough game, with all the Perplexes, and the map we were on not allowing for full Stealth coverage, which made Tornado's Defend a target for Duchess's Energy Explosions. Dice started out cold, with me whiffing fives and sixes, which made the game a rough back and forth. We went to time, and I took it by points, but I don't know which way it would've gone if it had played out.

Also in round one, luck of the draw put the two teams fronted by Hypersonic beat-sticks up against each other - Red & Black Lantern Harley up against Bombshell Supergirl. Supergirl took it, luckily knocking that Harley out of the top brackets, but that meant I had to deal with Supergirl. Round two was a Bombshell team, with Supergirl on her low dial, Stargirl, Poison Ivy, and Catwoman. Lost the map roll, and ended up on the new Harley's Apartment map, with lots of elevated to slow down my team of walkers. My Stealth wasn't going to be of any use against Supergirl, and between his three themes and remaining 5 quarter rerolls, I knew that I was going to be losing the Tornado on turn two, so I just extended up as far as I could. Sure enough, Supergirl zipped up and took poor old Ma Hunkle out immediately, and then fell back onto the rooftop with her support crew. Losing the +1 to combat values meant Catman and Knockout were just short of being able to Charge in, but I moved everybody up onto the roof that I could, and then had Giganta go colossal to swing at Supergirl. Needed 8s, but my dice went hot. Burned through all three themes and a quarter before I finally missed. He had to clear, which gave me a chance to take out Catwoman with Catman and the Shark - couldn't afford having her Outwit around, and couldn't get to Supergirl. Giganta went colossal for another couple swings on Supergirl, burning through the other 4 rerolls, but didn't tag her. Next turn, Supergirl deleted Giganta, landed next to Scandal, and took her out with a free Bombshell attack (we had both forgotten that they needed 2 action tokens to activate those). Missed a couple more attacks on her, but then she went for a Hypersonic break away and failed the roll, which was where the game turned. Catman ran in and stuck her with a Blades for 6, Knockout followed up to put her to her last click, and then Supergirl crit missed herself to death. Then little Ivy and Stargirl managed to tank the remaining Secret Six members for about twenty minutes while everybody flailed around without accomplishing everything, but I finally put them in the ground. Had no business winning that round, and it all came down to that one failed break away roll.

Round three was very simple, in comparison. Common Batman, Enchantress, Scarecrow and Civil War common Captain America. Won map roll and went to Wakanda for the heavy hindering. After I advanced for a bit, he realized that he wouldn't be able to do anything against all my Stealth, so fell back into his starting area. But, well, I had a secret weapon. Giganta ran out, went colossal to take a swing, and then Ma Hunkle rang the dinner bell to call her back. He realized that I could just keep playing hit-and-run if he stayed in his starting area, so he went all-in, and moved everybody up to base me. And, well, if that's your strategy against the Secret Six, you're going to get cut down pretty quickly. Didn't come close to losing anyone, that time. It was kind of funny; if I hadn't messed up in the auction stage and had a full Secret Six, I might've been in some trouble that game. Red Tornado won it for me with that special damage power.

3-0 was enough to get me the victory, and we'd pulled Flash, God of Death, which made for a pretty kick-rear end prize. If you can get the turnout for it, and can afford a tournament going a couple hours longer than usual, I really suggest trying an auction sealed. It's great fun.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

HAHA Joker, Uni-Mind, and Boxing Ring have been watchlisted.

Also HCR has the entire Star Trek set spoiled. It is an awesome set, and for whoever wanted Frank Gorshin clix, you got him, complete with half black and half white dial.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I am somewhat disheartened at no SPACE LINCOLN, though.

But GORSHINCLIX!

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I bought 2 Star Trek bricks. Sadly, no Mirror Spock or Uhura, but I got Fencing Sulu! And the OP Kit LE is the "I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!!!!!" version of Kirk. Can't wait to play him with Title Kirk.

Sealed tourney, there were only three of us, and I got the bye first round, and then the third guy/judge went home sick partway through the second round, so kinda uneventful. I ran:

Horta
Shahna
Bele
Romulan Commander
Romulan Lieutenant
Tellarite to round out points.

Lost to a guy who pulled an amazing team of beef and support.

Pike
Kor
McCoy
Chapel
Chekov
Romulan Centurion

I tried to run the Horta on the Horta map, and get him back to mess with the support while distracting the Indomitable jerks, but all the Sidestep made Bones pretty drat elusive. Barely made dents.

Tried to play that team again with the Starter pack, designed for synergy, and hit big early, but couldn't finish Pike off before he could go get healed back up to full with dual support. Didn't have a chance after that.

If I get Chase Kirk, I'm going to run an All-Shatner team.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I don't work with models or anything too often, is there a glue that's going to work best on Clix? I had this one type that worked fine back in the day, fixed a Crisis Black Adam that came broken at the ankle solidly and he's still fine today but on modern figures it doesn't seem to work as well and they seem to be coming broken more and more often, usually at the spindliest, most pain in the rear end place to apply glue and hold it.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

I’ve never had an issue with plain old superglue

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

thebardyspoon posted:

I don't work with models or anything too often, is there a glue that's going to work best on Clix? I had this one type that worked fine back in the day, fixed a Crisis Black Adam that came broken at the ankle solidly and he's still fine today but on modern figures it doesn't seem to work as well and they seem to be coming broken more and more often, usually at the spindliest, most pain in the rear end place to apply glue and hold it.

I use Loctite myself.

Steve Vader posted:

And the OP Kit LE is the "I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!!!!!" version of Kirk.

Wait, do you mean Kirk from that episode where the woman did a mind swap with him because she wanted to be taken seriously?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

ManiacClown posted:

Wait, do you mean Kirk from that episode where the woman did a mind swap with him because she wanted to be taken seriously?

No, it's from the episode where a transporter accident split Kirk into his logical yet emotionless and indecisive self and his insane rapey id given form.

Also, I've got a Gorn broken at the elbows. hopefully having two spots to glue it will work better than the spindly bits where they often break. Not even gonna try to glue my busted lantern Harley back together.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 9, 2017

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Steve Vader posted:

No, it's from the episode where a transporter accident split Kirk into his logical yet emotionless and indecisive self and his insane rapey id given form.

Also, I've got a Gorn broken at the elbows. hopefully having two spots to glue it will work better than the spindly bits where they often break. Not even gonna try to glue my busted lantern Harley back together.

Send that poo poo in to http://win.wizkids.com/wrs_index.php. Gorn is eligible to be replaced.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Huh. Haven't tried to return anything since the old days, when I got a Calypso fig on a Rupert dial and managed to score the super-duper-ultra rare LE of the Mole Man. Maybe I'll give this a shot. Thanks!

EDIT: Wait a minute, what's this rule? "Figures will be replaced with a figure from the same set with the same rarity. If no such figure is available, a replacement of the same rarity from the next set for that brand (Marvel, DC, etc.) will be used instead."

So I send these broken ones in, and they send me random SRs instead of replacements for the broken ones?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Steve Vader posted:

Huh. Haven't tried to return anything since the old days, when I got a Calypso fig on a Rupert dial and managed to score the super-duper-ultra rare LE of the Mole Man. Maybe I'll give this a shot. Thanks!

EDIT: Wait a minute, what's this rule? "Figures will be replaced with a figure from the same set with the same rarity. If no such figure is available, a replacement of the same rarity from the next set for that brand (Marvel, DC, etc.) will be used instead."

So I send these broken ones in, and they send me random SRs instead of replacements for the broken ones?

I think it's their legal way out of saying 'we're out of that one, here's another at the same rarity'.

I just replaced the Green Lantern of Gotham - I sent in the broken one (with card) and got a new one a few weeks later. I would imagine the 'get a different one at the same rarity' thing applies to older sets, as those stockpiles probably decrease with time.

This is all conjecture, but for Gorn, I think you'd be safe sending it in for a replacement.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

So yesterday was "Unlikely Allies" aka Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon.

600 points, no resources, ID cards, Relics, colossals, or equipment unless it already comes equipped via a legendary wielder trait. Each figure had to be linked to the previous one by a different keyword and you couldn't use the same keyword twice. Even if you managed to make a theme team, you'd only receive 3 theme PC's (Done to encourage more oddball builds)

I've only just recently managed to get in most of the mighty thor set (I have a kid and a budget so I am forced to wait for prices to drop to trade/buy stuff) and after seeing everyone else play stuff from this set for literal MONTHS I absolutely had to run something from the set.

I did the following all from Mighty Thor

Baldur who is a deity with
SR Prime Angela who is a ruler with
Chase Odin at 150 who is an asgardian with
Jane Foster who is an Avenger with
Thor Odinson Title Character who is a warrior with
Warrior of Asgard Generic

Asgardian theme so not very unlikely but I desperately wanted to play me some Asgardians.

Round 1 versus X-Force

DXF Cable
DXF Domino
Dr Nemesis
The new wizkids open Forge
DXF Colossos
DXF Boom Boom

I lost map and we played on a train station map that was put out by wizkids but isn't affiliated with any sets? He ran into hindering while I positioned on some elevated and proceeded to start generating crimson hawks and doing Hypersonic hit and runs with thor to build up +1's. He came up with colossus who got beat up and then KO'd by Angela to make her more annoying. Forge got a shot off on Title Thor with his powers go away gun, but Boom Boom and Cable missed their follow ups and thor called over Jane to heal and then cleared to get his goodies back. Hawks swarmed the hell out of his guys. Angela Ko'd Cable and got double mystics, then was pulled over to the fight by title thor and used her FREE to KO forge. Boom Boom fell and while domino was very annoying with her senses and shape change and negative to stats when I prob you power she couldn't stand up to the swarm for long.

Round 2 versus Mr "Your team isn't very good"

No theme of

Skull and Crossbones
Executioner
Enchantress
Anaconda
Civil War Jack O'Lantern
Baron Zemo

I won Map and chose the Limbo portal map with all the terrible elevations assuming it would annoy him more then me. I was correct. I was able to spawn alot of Crimson Hawks in the beginning as I had Angela next to Odin and he made me give his tokens to her the first DPA I did which since she was indom and I was planning on holding her back I really didn't care about at all. I used Thor's +1 power to Hyper out and hit one guy, then end and hit another with the elevations and his lack of range working to my advantage. He did get close enough to start doing Enchantress stuff which was more annoying then anything. I focused fire on her until she failed a shape change roll and she went down hard. Angela stood next to Skull and Crossbones and Executioner and took a beating, ending up on her last click where she murdered S&C and then got yoinked by Thor back to Jane and healed up. Executioner did Hurt Baldur a bit but was then knocked end dial where he was KO'd by the All Father and his precision strike.

And if you are curious his reaction to sitting next to me was to tell another player he was about to be 1-1.

Round 3 versus X-Men I think.

Chase AOA Magento
Chase AOA Weapon X
Chase AOA Colossus
The WKO Prize Shadowcat
Shifting Focus Deadpool
A Psylocke from a set I don't know
Starter set X-23

I lost map, ended up on the prison. I proceeded to sit back and just start generating Pogs and building plot points while being healed by Jane. I was gonna try to fire off Thor's Ultimate or just build up enough stuff to do lots of call the asgardian shenanigans. I got to 6 as he furiously rushed over. He was attaching weapon x to colossus and also using colossus to carry shadowcat via her trait which was actually kinda neat. I had Angela charge in and hit colossus and then get pulled back while the hawks swarmed in. Thor got a shot off on Colossus as well and moved back as far as he could. I thought that the hawks would keep me safe. I knew shadowcat could phase and blades me but I figured I'd be pretty safe with a 19 and invincible. He shifted deadpool to the perplex one and bumped up colossus's AV and then TK'd him with Magneto. Colossus then threw weapon x and hit me for 1, and weapon X did one more while also putting the slash FX on me. This put me on an 18 invuln and I began to sweat as I realized that losing Thor was suddenly a very real possibility. Kitty phased in and tried to blade but missed and I breathed a slight sigh of relief. I had Thor call up Baldur, who bladed Weapon X for 3. This also healed Thor to an invincible click effectively negating the slash marker which was good. Thor broke to hyper and KO'd Weapon X and ran back to Angela. My generic warrior managed a big blades roll on Kitty and a hawk finished her off. Hawks also KO'd X-23 but had to self KO 2 of themselves to do it (Pushing).

I was feeling better now. Magneto came down and hit Angela with objects. She took 3 and tanked the second with Impervious. I knocked Magneto to impervious where he proceeded to make 5 in a row. Time was called as Colossus KO'd my warrior and he knocked Angela to her last click. I won 250ish to 40 but actually came in second due to points.

Title Thor is ridiculous as gently caress on Asgardian teams. Take multiple shots to build up +1's or just stand there and do it and let Jane heal him and then you can do all sorts of Shenanigans with his Restore the lost asgardians power. Odin giving out a plus one to already super high attack values made things much easier as well. Angela was pretty OK. She only survived round 2 and 3 because of Thor and Jane. She was a terror Round 1, but that was about it. She'd be much better starting with exploit and getting some other bonus for KOing their big dog. It's funny, she can't get through the reducers of the big dogs who she's supposedly built to KO, but it's the little guys that annoy her the most since they can reduce her values and it's usually the little guys who have all the perplex and such.

Morand fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 12, 2017

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Disney is officially buying Fox, so while elsewhere people talk about Avengers vs. X-Men movies and the creeping monolithic takeover of our country and culture by megacorporations beyond the nightmares of cyberpunk, let's focus on the important bit:

Start the countdown to getting Fantastic Four clix again!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The F4 villains are more exciting personally but yeah, looking forward to an eventual F4 focused set. I'm hoping if they make them using the modern, efficient 50 point dial style then they also make a second set of 4 more expensive ones since it's been so long since they were in the game at all. Would be cool if they got either a colossal set or something like the Infinity War Avengers set slated for next year, so we can get a new Galactus and some of the other big F4 related big characters that were until now not allowed to be made.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

So, Morgan Spurlock just confessed to being a sexual harassment creep. Harry Knowles has been outed as a complete creep, and Joss Whedon at least mentally abused his ex-wife with creepy ego-maniacal justifications.

That makes three Heroclix figures that should retroactively share keywords with Purple Man and/or Dr. Psycho.

Anyone want to ruin Stan Lee to make it a 4 for 4 on that 4-pack?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I'd never played this game before but my lgs started keeping maps and demo figures for people to play with to get them interested and I had a lot of fun with a friend. They said they were going to start doing free casual events on Saturdays, giving away store credit and promo figures as prizes. I read the OP, but is there a good app or resource to reference for what's legal or banned, or which figured fall into the Modern format? I'm not sure how casual the rules will be when they start doing events after the new years. To start I'll probably use theme teams, as I have no idea how serious it will get. Coming from a competitive MtG background, the prices on the figures are nothing compared to some of those cards.

Also, are any of the street fighter figures any good and worth using? I used to play competitive SF2ST and still love the classic characters, particularly E.Honda.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Ehhh. The SF characters tend to work well when fighting against other SF characters, in the main game they tend to get stomped.

Oh and welcome new guy! So the best place to always know what's modern is the wizkids rule forum, specifically this thread:

http://win.wizkids.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=29&sid=47163f61c6f93d4ec772b978fc8ba004

Now many times you'll hear us casually dissing "the realms" in this case we're referring to Hcrealms. That site's unit section is worth the price of admission just stay far as gently caress away from the forums and use an adblocker cause Typhon will let anything advertise on his site including the obnoxious hijack ads.

There really are no banned figures in heroclix, the closest we ever came was the Con Faust cause he was a pile of rear end, but he just got removed from modern a little earlier. Modern age tends to only apply to major wizkids events too. Very few stores I've ever seen do modern age only as a rule, mine lets any figures ever made be used but just says no feats or BFC's (Don't look them up.) I've seen other stores say any figure from a carded set is fine. Really just check with the store.

Speaking of price, most figures are pretty cheap. CUR's (Common, Uncommon, Rare) rarely go for more then 5 bucks unless they are like an uber generic (gently caress YOU BROODS). It's the Super Rares and Chases that will make you really cough up the dough though if you want the new hotness. You can make perfectly competent teams with just CUR's though.

Other general new guy advice is that most longtime clix player LOVE you. Why? Because we tend to have piles of extra CUR's lying around that aren't worth selling or trading that we can give to you. It's Win/Win as we get rid of excess stuff, and you can start your collection.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Morand posted:

Ehhh. The SF characters tend to work well when fighting against other SF characters, in the main game they tend to get stomped.

Oh and welcome new guy! So the best place to always know what's modern is the wizkids rule forum, specifically this thread:

http://win.wizkids.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=29&sid=47163f61c6f93d4ec772b978fc8ba004

Now many times you'll hear us casually dissing "the realms" in this case we're referring to Hcrealms. That site's unit section is worth the price of admission just stay far as gently caress away from the forums and use an adblocker cause Typhon will let anything advertise on his site including the obnoxious hijack ads.

There really are no banned figures in heroclix, the closest we ever came was the Con Faust cause he was a pile of rear end, but he just got removed from modern a little earlier. Modern age tends to only apply to major wizkids events too. Very few stores I've ever seen do modern age only as a rule, mine lets any figures ever made be used but just says no feats or BFC's (Don't look them up.) I've seen other stores say any figure from a carded set is fine. Really just check with the store.

Speaking of price, most figures are pretty cheap. CUR's (Common, Uncommon, Rare) rarely go for more then 5 bucks unless they are like an uber generic (gently caress YOU BROODS). It's the Super Rares and Chases that will make you really cough up the dough though if you want the new hotness. You can make perfectly competent teams with just CUR's though.

Other general new guy advice is that most longtime clix player LOVE you. Why? Because we tend to have piles of extra CUR's lying around that aren't worth selling or trading that we can give to you. It's Win/Win as we get rid of excess stuff, and you can start your collection.

Oh well, that sucks about the SF characters. I'll probably get some anyways and use them just for messing around. I used to be heavy into collecting figures and the pictures of the SF ones look pretty sweet.

Thanks for the other info. I expect it to be super casual, since there's not really an established scene in this area (Western NC). I looked at some of the figure prices online, and as someone that probably has probably ~$18k in MtG cards... it's nothing compared to what I'm used to. A modern format deck in modern costs $300-1000 if you want to be competitive, so I'm unfortunately used to overspending on a hobby. I'll probably just pick a few teams or characters I'm fond of and see how competitive things get.

Is there a preference towards maps or some that are good? The shop has a few of the big heavy maps that are made on the same material as mousepads and card playmats that were nice, but they were a bit high.

Is there a reasonable Defenders themed team? Iron Fist and Luke Cage were two of my favorite characters years back when I was heavy into comics, I love street level heroes.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Take a look at pieces from the Avengers/Defenders War set. There are Luke Cages and Iron Fists and Defenders everywhere and they'll mostly be cheap as gently caress.

And maps are something you'll get eventually. They come in starters and official release events. The Neoprene (Mouse Pad) maps are fun, but meant to be a bit more expensive.

Morand fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 20, 2017

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Morand posted:

Take a look at pieces from the Avengers/Defenders War set. There are Luke Cages and Iron Fists and Defenders everywhere and they'll mostly be cheap as gently caress.

And maps are something you'll get eventually. They come in starters and official release events. The Neoprene (Mouse Pad) maps are fun, but meant to be a bit more expensive.

Cool, thanks for the help. A friend that moved away might play games with me via skype- we'd just get the same maps and do it kinda like playing chess long distance. I'll keep reading the thread and try to get caught up on the lingo. I'm in a mindset of feeling compelled to be super optimized with my teams, which is admittedly probably a bad hangup from also playing MtG when I'm just trying to have fun with this game.

Also I am seeing some figures that will have two versions that seem the same except a color scheme and cost, I'm guessing these are equivalent to a foil card in CCG's? They do the same thing but look different and are more rare?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Also I am seeing some figures that will have two versions that seem the same except a color scheme and cost, I'm guessing these are equivalent to a foil card in CCG's? They do the same thing but look different and are more rare?

That might be a prime figure, they're much rarer second versions of figures in a set. They have different dials and powers, usually a slightly different sculpt or paint job, a green ring, share a collectors number with their counterpart (23a/23b for example) and you can only play 1 of a prime figure on a team. They're generally pretty powerful for the cost and you only get 1 in a case of boosters usually, so the prime version of the super rare figure in the set is usually pretty valuable, though as you've noted, nothing like as expensive as some Magic cards can be.

Wizkids also sometimes just doubles up on sculpt usage, so like a generic soldier in the common slot might get reused as a named character in the uncommon slot or something.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I expect it to be super casual, since there's not really an established scene in this area (Western NC).

Whereabouts in Western NC? I'm in the Charlotte area, and we have three different places that run Clix games that I'm aware of, and sadly only two of them are decent - in the other one, I went 2-0-1 in a tournament and somehow lost to a guy I beat because he had more points. Usually, tie games are decided with a roll-off and I even won that, but they were just weird and squirrelly about NOT explaining why I lost - even saying "we were going on points, not record' would have helped, even though they never said that before the game. I haven't been back since - I'm not even very competitive, but I prefer the rules to make some sense.

ANYWAY. The other two places are solid, and my preferred one tends to lean casual, which I appreciate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Steve Vader posted:

Whereabouts in Western NC? I'm in the Charlotte area, and we have three different places that run Clix games that I'm aware of, and sadly only two of them are decent - in the other one, I went 2-0-1 in a tournament and somehow lost to a guy I beat because he had more points. Usually, tie games are decided with a roll-off and I even won that, but they were just weird and squirrelly about NOT explaining why I lost - even saying "we were going on points, not record' would have helped, even though they never said that before the game. I haven't been back since - I'm not even very competitive, but I prefer the rules to make some sense.

ANYWAY. The other two places are solid, and my preferred one tends to lean casual, which I appreciate.

Asheville. We have a pretty strong mtg scene and most mtg nerds like playing other games, so I expect some people to pick it up at the lgs I attend. I'm friends with the owners and employees and they're all getting into it anyway so I expect any events to be run well and not have weird poo poo like your incident. We just don't have a judge so we have to Google questions we have. If I got more into it competitively I'd consider going to charlotte for an event. Which stores are you talking about?