Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Even my loving vassal is doing the Propagate poo poo. That's it! Everyone in SE Asia is now dead. I'm going to bury every last man, woman and child alive to serve as fertilizer for my spices to pay for all the heathen penalties they've applied to my provinces. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Fister Roboto posted:

I think maybe conditional military access needs to be toned down a little bit?

Dulkadir and their ally the Golden Horde basically have free reign to march all over the Middle East. This is extra frustrating because it is literally impossible to actually fight the Golden Horde because they're too drat fast.

e: the GH has 7 military access agreements and 2 alliances. Their monarch has 0 diplomatic skill. jfc

I forget, does the AI have to pay diplo for military access?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
All this talking about doing a somewhat development-focused playthrough reminds me that I still haven't finished my German Republic Dithmarschen game. Republics might be a bit weaker as a baseline now, but having a permanent RT boost and pretty drat good NIs helps them out a lot and the HRE is one of the places where developing a lot can actually be quite handy since AE is such a restraint.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

operation Strong Daddy kicking into gear

RabidWeasel posted:

All this talking about doing a somewhat development-focused playthrough reminds me that I still haven't finished my German Republic Dithmarschen game. Republics might be a bit weaker as a baseline now, but having a permanent RT boost and pretty drat good NIs helps them out a lot and the HRE is one of the places where developing a lot can actually be quite handy since AE is such a restraint.

dithmarschen rules. top 3 starts for me. top 5 maybe actually. but they're cool

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The +0.5 RT boost is amazing.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I've been trying to figure out a fun state to do a Shia Republic thing with, because they get +0.5RT as a passive religion bonus, which is goddamn crazy. I could always do one of those silly custom nation achievements.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A fun way to do a custom nation is just to find a decent historic nation and plop your custom one right on top of it. And of course to keep your NI somewhat reasonable. :v:

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

RabidWeasel posted:

I've been trying to figure out a fun state to do a Shia Republic thing with, because they get +0.5RT as a passive religion bonus, which is goddamn crazy. I could always do one of those silly custom nation achievements.

start as one of the nations with a 0.5 RT bonus, convert to shia, take the two policies that give RT and re-elect your ruler indefinitely while still gaining tradition?

(actually you can probably still do this with only the +0.4 policy, since the -0.1 a year you lose will be balanced by your leaders occasionally dying without being re-elected)

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Fister Roboto posted:

One thing I'd like to see is some sort of bonus for being under the state cap, something to represent that you have a highly efficient, tightly organized administration. Something that could encourage a tall strategy.

On a related note, a bonus for having low or zero absolutism might make things better for republics.

If I remember correctly, smaller nations teched up faster in EU3. It would allow, for example, the Netherlands to fight on somewhat even footing with France by having higher quality troops from mil tech despite being greatly outnumbered. Something like that in EU4 would be nice. There'd just have to be some limitation requiring a nation to actually be small, so larger nations wouldn't just deliberately leave provinces unstated.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Institutions sort of provide that since they cost a lot more and take much longer to spread if you're bigger. Granted the money isn't a serious issue if you've blobbed out (unless you mostly only own 75% autonomy 1/1/1 provinces with wool or something).

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

oddium posted:

What's the rest of your top 5?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

not really ordered but

papal state
zaporozhie
taungu
dithmarschen
orissa

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Mountaineer posted:

If I remember correctly, smaller nations teched up faster in EU3. It would allow, for example, the Netherlands to fight on somewhat even footing with France by having higher quality troops from mil tech despite being greatly outnumbered. Something like that in EU4 would be nice. There'd just have to be some limitation requiring a nation to actually be small, so larger nations wouldn't just deliberately leave provinces unstated.

This is only sort of true. Tech costs maxed out after a point, so, like in EU4, bigger always beat better.

It's worth noting Johan's said this is a deliberate design decision behind EU - that expansion should be the driving part of the game.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

oddium posted:

operation Strong Daddy kicking into gear

This is wonderful. I've been thinking of playing in Japan next game, maybe having the Ainu retake Japan. I understand that if I declare on Kyoto, I can probably get them to vassalize me and become a daimyo. Does liberty desire work differently with daimyos? I hear about people just vasslizing everything. Is it just for the novelty or is it better than, say, conquering all of japan but keeping the daimyo government?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

normal vassals compare their collective strength against you, daimyos don't. the only reason any of them have liberty desire above 10% is because i keep forcing them to Contribute to Capital, which takes two of their dev and gives 1 base tax to kyoto. and because they're opms that can't expand they keep developing up their capitals and i keep siphoning it

e: to clear some stuff up: when the shogun vassalizes someone they are automatically a daimyo vassal but the vassal does not get the daimyo government type. ainu would remain a siberean clan council tribe but be able to declare on fellow daimyo vassals and make daimyo vassal alliances. if you take kyoto you would get the Fall of Kyoto event and not be the shogun. you could, like any nation, culture shift to japanese and form japan still

oddium fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 20, 2017

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah a lot of the important stuff relies on the daimyo government type, but you... might be able to annex and release Ainu to give it to them?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

no i tried. i also tried culture shifting ainu to japanese first, converting to shinto, doing it as the shogun/independant daimyo, noble rebels, all of it. unless there's some obscure Will of the Horde-esque event

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

One thing I'd like to see is some sort of bonus for being under the state cap, something to represent that you have a highly efficient, tightly organized administration. Something that could encourage a tall strategy.
I've been clamoring for this for a while now. It makes a lot of sense. I think a good pointed out one potential glass but I can't remember what it was.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 20, 2017

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Could you hypothetically start as a daimyo then culture shift to Ainu or is the daimyo govt locked to Japanese?

If that's possible, I'd be fine with it--it'd be like the conquered achieving a cultural victory and eventually taking it all!

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I don't think Ainu is formable. It's releasable if it stops existing, but I highly doubt there's a decision to reform it if it stops existing.

e: oh wait you meant to Ainu-culture, not as a stepping stone to tag-switching. ignore me.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Anyone got any ideas on fixing this? Can't form Spain because there's some Islam in Iberia that I can't see. Haven't seen anyone else complain about this so guessing my game is hosed or I'm blind to an obvious problem.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the canaries or the other 2 island provinces off the coast there

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Box wine posted:

Anyone got any ideas on fixing this? Can't form Spain because there's some Islam in Iberia that I can't see. Haven't seen anyone else complain about this so guessing my game is hosed or I'm blind to an obvious problem.

Are the Azores Muslim? They count as Iberia.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Mother loving Portugal losing to Morocco and giving up Maderia. Thanks for pointing out they count for Iberia was blind to that.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I think my game has a glitch:

Is it normal for this to happen and if so, can I fix it? I don't think Japan is meant to have wastelands within it!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Those are the new provinces in the latest patch. That happens if you started a game on the last patch and continued on the new one.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Those are the new provinces in the latest patch. That happens if you started a game on the last patch and continued on the new one.

OK, thank you! I'll just have to assume some sort of vaguely terrifying thing is making those places uninhabitable!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

no one lives there in real life iirc

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
buddy there is basically no part of japan where no one lives.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

When you fully annex a country and their army goes separatist rebels, does it not cancel their move order? Do they still get to move like around like the country was still in control until they reach a stopping point of some kind? I fully annexed a North American native OPM and their army went rebels as I was chasing them and they kept going from the West Coast up into the middle of Canada before I finally caught up with them. It was exactly like the AI was still controlling them normally to keep running away from my army.

SkySteak posted:

OK, thank you! I'll just have to assume some sort of vaguely terrifying thing is making those places uninhabitable!
:krakken:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

reignonyourparade posted:

buddy there is basically no part of japan where no one lives.

Maybe not today but the game isn't set today

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

wow, it's been a long while since I've played, but they really tightened the belt on your economy, didn't they? I'm playing Ethiopia and it's painful. Outside of the gold mines, I'm barely making enough to get by.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SkySteak posted:

They are not uninhabitable, they are simply currently uninhabited, I think? Can you not colonize them? Because they look colonizable.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

you can't colonize them because they're 0/0/0 provinces

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

oddium posted:

you can't colonize them because they're 0/0/0 provinces

Much like your posting...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

my posting would be bermuda because it's bereft of culture

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

double nine posted:

wow, it's been a long while since I've played, but they really tightened the belt on your economy, didn't they? I'm playing Ethiopia and it's painful. Outside of the gold mines, I'm barely making enough to get by.

expand so you can control the Gulf of Aden node

the AI got fixed to be smarter about buildings so trade income is way, WAY bigger this patch than previously

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Hmm Portugal what are you doing?

Not sure what happened but I guess Portugal converted to Sunni after they got a PU on Castille? Or did some Sunni nation form Portugal?

Anyway glad Portugal will come to my rescue.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Somehow, starting as Florence, I managed to colonize the entire Caribbean (as in, every province in the colonial region) and am now starting on North America and nobody else including Portugal and Castile (somehow the usual merger never happened) has even gotten past Brazil yet. This is weird.

Edit: Also, after forming Tuscany, I now have permanent claims on the entire Caribbean, which is really silly given that I can't even own all those provinces directly.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Can you not blockade straits anymore? I just had Naples slip 20k men across the Messina straits that my nanny was guarding and destroy my guys besieging Sicily. I really couldn't afford to lose those men over loving Corfu.

And where exactly are the Continental regions. I'd think holding the balkans and Anatolia would be enough to get the two continent splendor thing

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 21, 2017