Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Battle of Gods is fantastic and still the best new piece of Dragonball media we've gotten since the revival. RoF is flawed but still good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

DBZ was really, really well directed and storyboarded though. Like, stuff was at least framed in an appealing, narrative-driven way. Super seems to be completely missing that.

Take a sequence like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg5CkdQuQuc

It's so far beyond anything I've seen in Super from a creative directorial standpoint, it's kind of depressing.

Agreed. Super is a very clean looking show, but I can't think of any memorable shots. DBZ is full of them. I do suppose having the manga to rely on for the more iconic moments plays a huge role, but I'll take 17 frames of DBZ over the non-stop action of Super.

Like an entire scene of Grand Elder Guru on planet namek is more memorable to me than the entire Future Trunks saga in Super.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Man....Super is just an insanely ugly and poorly-animated show, isn't it.

it's better now, sometimes it's still bad, but it's mostly not that bad now. It was loving bad for quite a while tho.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Unlucky7 posted:

I have been thinking of watching Battle of the Gods, mostly due to hearing that it actually is a great DB movie on top of being the first in decades. Is that the case?

If you have any nostalgia at all for Dragonball then Battle of Gods is worth watching imo. It's fun, too short to be dragged out, and has a self-aware humor through the whole thing that's genuinely funny.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm really behind on DBS but I hear that Gotenks was introduced only to immediately get clowned on and made irrelevant so DBS is bad, assuming that is true

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Note that this same criticism is true of DBZ, which is also bad.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Countblanc posted:

I'm really behind on DBS but I hear that Gotenks was introduced only to immediately get clowned on and made irrelevant so DBS is bad superb, assuming that is true

Note that this same criticism happy fact is true of DBZ, which is also bad marvelous.

Gotenks is only good when he's being clowned on.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Super's already set up a several-dozen-episode Trunks/Goten/Marron arc, you just gotta wait for the filler tournament to end.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Have characters health levels been shown yet?

E: or is it like soul caliber/killer instinct where everyone has a flat 1000 hit points whatever

Vakal
May 11, 2008

NecroMonster posted:

it's better now, sometimes it's still bad, but it's mostly not that bad now. It was loving bad for quite a while tho.

Still nothing compared to the recent Berserk series. Holy poo poo is that one terrible.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I gave up on the Super anime and just read the manga now.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p53odOyFv8I
speedy dub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_do4-qPdljg
kamehamehas

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Big Scary Owl posted:

I gave up on the Super anime and just read the manga now.

:ssh: The manga is worse.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

khwarezm posted:

:ssh: The manga is worse.

Yeah the anime blows the Manga out of the water. Manga is written by a Goku fanatic and Goku is made to be given the spotlight way more than usual. This also isn't some case where the manga is the "official" version over the anime anymore either.

The Manga robbed Trunks of most of his relevance in the Goku Black arc so its trash.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Is Toriyama involved with Super?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Improbable Lobster posted:

Is Toriyama involved with Super?

Yes.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Evil Canadian posted:

Yeah the anime blows the Manga out of the water. Manga is written by a Goku fanatic and Goku is made to be given the spotlight way more than usual. This also isn't some case where the manga is the "official" version over the anime anymore either.

The Manga robbed Trunks of most of his relevance in the Goku Black arc so its trash.

Some people were unhappy with the conclusion of that arc but as far as I'm concerned Trunks got the killing blow on the final boss and everything that happened afterward was just the ending cutscene to set up for the sequel.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
its extra funny since Toriyama is the only person who really supervises the Super manga so he signs off on everything while Toei's writers are the ones who get the last say on the anime

Which is why they had the brilliant move of just not showing the current main rival's interesting backstory because they wanted a cool mystery villain so bad they don't care if it made him bland and uninteresting

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Oh my god Beerus and Yamcha both look so cool, I might actually main someone that isn't Kid Buu.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Honestly the sequence of episodes since the Kefla fight have a lot of visually distinct and well-directed shots, some of the best in the DB SERIES, but of course overall it's worse that DBZ because DBZ was drawn by one of the best mangakas ever when it comes to composition. DBS is a straight-up Toei joint with a revolving door of directing.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I think it's kinda interesting to have two different authors both do different stuff with the same general storyline. The manga author seems to have a more direct line with Toriyama while Toei does their own thing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bubba Smith posted:

Agreed. Super is a very clean looking show, but I can't think of any memorable shots.

Goku falling to earth after fighting with Beerus, The entirety of the Ribanne vs. 18 fight, Kelfa's entire existence esp. near the end of the fight with UI Goku. Freeza on the ground getting super duper frustrated as Vegeta smugly walks at him like he's nothing.

There's a lot in Super that's on par with Z's bigger moments. The difference is you didn't watch super when you were 12 20 years ago so nothing really has had time to become 'iconic' in the same way scenes from DB and Z have by having time to be rewatched for decades.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Goku falling to earth after fighting with Beerus, The entirety of the Ribanne vs. 18 fight, Kelfa's entire existence esp. near the end of the fight with UI Goku. Freeza on the ground getting super duper frustrated as Vegeta smugly walks at him like he's nothing.

There's a lot in Super that's on par with Z's bigger moments. The difference is you didn't watch super when you were 12 20 years ago so nothing really has had time to become 'iconic' in the same way scenes from DB and Z have by having time to be rewatched for decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hKlJcp_f0o

There are many memorable moments.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Goku looking menacing as God recently still sits in my head

Glad he's going for it again next episode, I really like it as a form

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Goku taking a step forward and ending up right in Jiren's face is "Super"!

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Yeah every Ultra Instinct moment so far has had something super memorable. That first attack, grinding off Kefla's beam, it's all been pretty crazy stuff even for a dragon ball fight.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Man....Super is just an insanely ugly and poorly-animated show, isn't it.

The game looks better than super. The camera angles and stuff feel more DBZ

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Black, Hit, both SSBs and Beerus look amazing in the game. The shows art style pales in comparison.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Cuchulain posted:

Oh my god Beerus and Yamcha both look so cool, I might actually main someone that isn't Kid Buu.

It's a 3 vs 3 fighter so you might wanna main more than one character yah

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Zelder posted:

It's a 3 vs 3 fighter so you might wanna main more than one character yah
It's a Dragon Ball game though. You're supposed to outright ignore your allies and try and defeat all of the opponents on your own, even if existence itself is at stake.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bubba Smith posted:

Agreed. Super is a very clean looking show, but I can't think of any memorable shots.

If you don't get goosebumps at "He's coming" then you're probably dead inside and just constantly pine for the good ol' days.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Anything made after 9/11 is bad.

The DBZ dub after Cell Games, Super Smash Bros. Melee, and DBFZ.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Star Man posted:

Anything made after 9/11 is bad.

Hey now, you shouldn't be so harsh on yourself.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I think it's just a different focus in how the animation went. The Piccolo vs 17 fight, for example, was really good, but it's actually kind of slow-paced, focused a lot on building up tension to quick action shots while sprinkling in impact effects and destruction shots everywhere to hype up the hits. The manga influence is definitely visible. In Super, on the other hand, it feels like there's less of an emphasis on particular shots and more of keeping things moving more or less fluidly - either everyone's standing around doing nothing, or they're moving the entire time, with not much use of things like quick cut-ins to face shots.

This has its ups and its downs - for example, there's a lot less zwee-fighting and canned blurry-punch sequences in Super, and when they want to create a sense of super speed they often do a lot more for it than just having characters turn into a bunch of lines. On the other hand, there's fewer really iconic single frames, individual stuff often doesn't have as much impact, and there's more of a focus on what the characters' bodies are doing than what the characters themselves are doing. Take Vegeta vs Recoome, for example - basically every meaningful hit in that fight is immediately preceded by a shot of one or both characters' faces. For example, at 2:00 - they ineffectually punch at each other for a few seconds, then suddenly, a close-up shot of just Recoome raising his elbow! Then there's a quick cut to Vegeta's "oh poo poo" face! And only then does it actually dish out the hit, which gets a lot less emphasis compared to the smug face Recoome makes a couple seconds later. There's a lot less of that in Super, which can make it feel less impactful sometimes.

I wouldn't say it's necessarily "better" or "worse" - it's a different style directed by different people with a different creative pipeline, and some people prefer one or the other.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I want the commander blue

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Raxivace posted:

It's a Dragon Ball game though. You're supposed to outright ignore your allies and try and defeat all of the opponents on your own, even if existence itself is at stake.

The true spirit of DBZ

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

No that sounds better painframe

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Seems like there’s a reason they are using the dbz style for everyone even the super characters in the game

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i must have stupid eyes or something cause i don't see a huge difference in style between z and super, outside of like, the general differences between how 80s/90s anime was made and how modern anime is made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Terper posted:

Hey now, you shouldn't be so harsh on yourself.

I was born in '87, so I am among those who have truely good taste.

please do not take this or my previous post as my sincere opinion because I know most of you need that spelled out