Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

today is my last evening before i head home for the holidays until after the new year, hope i can knock out a few milestones tonight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm enjoying Mayhem on all three classes right now, it's just insanely fun.

I mean sometimes you run into a team of 3-4 Nightstalkers but what can you do

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Between the Nightstalkers and the Gunslingers it's like every corner I turn I'm either getting tethered or one-shot

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Jeza posted:

I'm happy about every alt punishment system out there. If it were up to me, every character alt would be totally separate with their own Vault and everything. The only fop I'd have would be having Exotic Weapon schematics in the Collection, and even then maybe not.

There shouldn't be systems that exist to tempt people's inner autist to farm shaders and cosmetic items. It's unhealthy to cater to that in any way imo. People who pledged to all three Factions across three characters, then grinded for tokens on all three exemplify everything wrong with online RPGs. Some people are too pathetic to help themselves so the devs should try and minimise that kind of behaviour.

Jeza posted:

:ironicat:

Bungie are just trying to save people from themselves. Unfortunately gamers are like lemmings who lust to waste as much of their lives as possible. At this point, stance on this sort of thing is just like having a stance on mental illness and gambling addiction. Bungie are right to resist people who beg to farm as much pointless garbage as possible and impose reasonable timeframes and challenges.

Jeza posted:

Real money is an effective gatekeeper for the majority, and I imagine the theoretical cost to get all the stuff most people want from a given season in Eververse is probably ~$100. Not cheap, but not backbreaking if you care enough. I'd rather that than people be encouraged to grind for hundreds of hours. Hell, even better, people don't feel entitled to have every cosmetic option in the game but rather enjoy having the cool ones they do get through normal play. Rather than everybody having access to the jazziest options so nothing feels rare or interesting.

Jeza posted:

I feel less bad about games like Starcraft and its ilk because they're pretty much just a timesink hobby like any other competitive activity. There's a skill component to be developed, possibly even some social aspect.

Treadmills that people don't even enjoy doing, but do anyway because of some twisted human instinct to not miss out or to jump the next hoop make me sad. I saw people spend like 2-3 hours in one sitting farming tokens across characters on that Public Event glitch. They weren't having fun.

Jeza posted:

I'm just concerned for my fellow gamers' well-being. I'd rather unhealthy avenues of play be closed off so we can enjoy healthy playing habits. I consider multi-character farming for cosmetics and tokens to be concerning, and that anybody who does so to a significant degree should stop and assess their relationship to this game.

Jeza posted:

I don't think they do a great job, but they do a better job than many. Sadly, they also buckle under community pressure towards the negative quite frequently. I don't agree with microtransactions of any kind, but I prefer a transparently greedy system than one that cynically exploits the worst human tendencies to make them spend more time in the game.

Would it be better if you could grind 10 data lettuces for one box at a time over and over and you could never buy boxes? I don't think so. I would rather shrug my shoulders and enjoy the smattering of cool cosmetics I get in normal play than have a system where your time invested is the only thing of value. That works for me because I'm not weird enough to buy cosmetics because the thought of not having some of them doesn't bother me especially.

I used the time it would take to read all this to grind out some engrams on an alt instead.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

One time a Gunslinger got me but not before I managed to fling a flaming hammer at him from across the map, I got my kill report right before I respawned.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Sadly, I still have the potential to come out as only pretending to be retarded. For many of those running three characters in Destiny 2, it may already be too late.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lol if you think there aren't people just casually playing space barbies with three different toys

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Jeza posted:

Sadly, I still have the potential to come out as only pretending to be retarded. For many of those running three characters in Destiny 2, it may already be too late.

Your crazy posting today takes more time than it does to level 2 other classes.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

What the gently caress?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Norns posted:

Your crazy posting today takes more time than it does to level 2 other classes.

yeah but I'm getting paid at work

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This is it

This is the hill Jeza has chosen to die on

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Jeza posted:

yeah but I'm getting paid at work

I'm pooping

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Xarbala posted:

This is it

I died like a page back idiot, you're just fighting my zombie corpse

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xarbala posted:

This is it

Destiny threads do crazy things to people

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jeza posted:

I died like a page back idiot, you're just fighting my zombie corpse

Well maybe you should've called in sick

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Jeza posted:

I don't think they do a great job, but they do a better job than many. Sadly, they also buckle under community pressure towards the negative quite frequently. I don't agree with microtransactions of any kind, but I prefer a transparently greedy system than one that cynically exploits the worst human tendencies to make them spend more time in the game.

Would it be better if you could grind 10 data lettuces for one box at a time over and over and you could never buy boxes? I don't think so. I would rather shrug my shoulders and enjoy the smattering of cool cosmetics I get in normal play than have a system where your time invested is the only thing of value. That works for me because I'm not weird enough to buy cosmetics because the thought of not having some of them doesn't bother me especially.

I do agree that it’s not the worst of the “loot box” systems, and think it’s nice that players receive them regularly without having to pay money. Kinda wish that wasn’t the state of capital generation in the Video Bames Industry, but hey

I also think people can fight a great patriotic war over loot boxes on twitter if they want to, because I’ll bring the popcorn.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Jeza posted:

I think you may be contemplating the motives behind those of us who enjoy playing three classes in this game a little too deeply.

I play all three classes, but why? Because I highly enjoy FPS games with RPG mechanics, and this game has a lot of very satisfying bits of content that I can explore and participate in. Shooting dudes in PvP or in games like CoD isn't any different. You run the same maps over and over, the same routes, and use the same loadouts. The only things that change are your K/D and how pissed off you got in the last match.

I just really enjoy running around and having fun while shooting aliens. I don't need to split my time between several games who may offer one or two more things that Destiny does not, because as a package, Destiny has more things that feel great than those that don't.

Also, more importantly: why do you think it's fair to judge how other people spend their own time? If they're enjoying what they're doing and it's not hurting anyone... what's the problem?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Why I think I’ll install a popcorn machine in this thread as well.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Why can't I judge how people spend their time? Seems a normal thing to do. Just because somebody enjoys something doesn't make it immune from criticism. It does make people quite defensive though.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Forgive my dumb questions... When an item says "stack 3 times" that means I can do something like wear Helmet, Chest, and Arms with that same ability but if i have it also on my pants there isn't any benefit, right? Or does the stacking apply to the item itself like 5-10-15% bonus recharging and I can have all my equipment with the ability?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Jeza posted:

Why can't I judge how people spend their time? Seems a normal thing to do. Just because somebody enjoys something doesn't make it immune from criticism. It does make people quite defensive though.

It does make people defensive, and can be fun for that reason among others, but you’re still spending *your* time pursuing that as a goal, which is something also critiquable, especially in the context of arguing about videogames on the internet.

Burning_Monk posted:

Forgive my dumb questions... When an item says "stack 3 times" that means I can do something like wear Helmet, Chest, and Arms with that same ability but if i have it also on my pants there isn't any benefit, right? Or does the stacking apply to the item itself like 5-10-15% bonus recharging and I can have all my equipment with the ability?

Correct. “Up to” 3x bonus across all gear.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jeza posted:

it's like lazy troll bingo over here

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Jeza posted:

You can, but the rest of us can judge you on how loving weird and idiotic you are about it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Waffle House posted:

...so....yeah the dawning is good as gently caress and I love how the loot rolls remain cranked to 11. It’s not even affecting my “grind”, I’m just getting sweeter loot and progressing at a faster-feeling rate.

Also posting Bubbles every 15seconds in Mayhem is the loving best. I’m sad that I cannot move fast enough to bubble every single heavy as it spawns. Perhaps this is my Mobility goal???

Playing normal strikes where everyone decides to snowball fight their way in is fun fun fun.

Those snowballs pack quite a punch.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Honestly if I'd dropped in with a hot take like "it's more consumer friendly to lock vaults according to character rather than account, to make it harder and grindier to have alts, furthermore" and saw people laughing at me in thread, I'd have taken the L and just backed out. Wait a few weeks, maybe hope people forget.

I wouldn't have started getting defensive and insulting everybody, but then again I am an honest poster.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i honestly love getting defensive and insulting everybody

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

(“Working in the Software Industry”, colorized, circa. 2017)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Shifty Pony posted:

Playing normal strikes where everyone decides to snowball fight their way in is fun fun fun.

Those snowballs pack quite a punch.

Snowballs own harder than I could have imagined. They do good damage, are great for mobs, and let you know who sucks (hint: they are the lame asses not throwing snowballs).

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Jeza posted:

Bungie are just trying to save people from themselves.

Is too late.
http://www.cracked.com/article_18544_how-the-karate-kid-ruined-modern-world.html

Completelly not related, but found it trying to find the above link. There where a riot in spain in 1766 because a King* tried to ban Hats and Ponchos.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esquilache_Riots

* you can't remove people from what they find fun to help them. Thats stupid and just don't work. It may even be a good idea, but people just don't work like that.

Tei fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 20, 2017

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
If you need to farm blue dusklight crystals for your Dawning gift:

Put on an EDZ resource detecting ghost. Load into Trostland (by Devrim), completely circle around the church, including getting close to where the cabal drops in by the cliffside. I always found at least 1 resource spawn, most I saw was 3. Then head to Maevic square and circle around the town square where the Fallen show up. I always found exactly 1 more here. Then fast travel back to the start and repeat. Took me about 20 - 30 mins to farm up 3 blue crystals.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tei posted:

There where a riot in spain in 1766 because a King tried to ban Hats and Ponchos.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esquilache_Riots

Down with hats!

Long live hats!

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Xarbala posted:

Honestly if I'd dropped in with a hot take like "it's more consumer friendly to lock vaults according to character rather than account, to make it harder and grindier to have alts, furthermore" and saw people laughing at me in thread, I'd have taken the L and just backed out. Wait a few weeks, maybe hope people forget.

I wouldn't have started getting defensive and insulting everybody, but then again I am an honest poster.

I didn't start insulting anybody, but I don't blame you if you cba going back to find out. I guess I'm not like you because I honestly don't care about preserving my sweet thread cred. Can't wait to go home to play on my single character for a balanced and proportional amount of time to the priorities in my life before plugging into my recharging point of an evening.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jeza posted:

I didn't start insulting anybody, but I don't blame you if you cba going back to find out. I guess I'm not like you because I honestly don't care about preserving my sweet thread cred. Can't wait to go home to play on my single character for a balanced and proportional amount of time to the priorities in my life before plugging into my recharging point of an evening.

I just think you're being unnecessarily passive-aggressive and if you can't read your own posts and at least chuckle a little, well, come on now.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
edit: this really isn't worth it

nickhimself fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 20, 2017

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Hello.

I am a normal human being and I have three characters in Destiny.

I only play two though because warlock jump sucks rear end.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the same guy has been afk in my past seven crucible matches

:thumbsup:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the same guy has been afk in my past seven crucible matches

:thumbsup:

Is he at least on the other team

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Waffle House posted:

(“Working in the Software Industry”, colorized, circa. 2017)

quote:

“According to So Long, and Thanks For All the Fish, God‘s Final Message To His Creation is written in fire in letters thirty feet high on the far side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains in the land of Sevorbeupstry on the planet of Preliumtarn, which orbits the star Zarss, which is located in the Grey Binding Fiefdoms of Saxaquine. The long path to the message is lined with souvenir stands at spaced-out intervals.

When Marvin reads the message, it says, “We apologise for the inconvenience.” However, Fenchurch‘s reaction suggests that the message she saw was the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything (and that presumably, therefore, the Message is personalized to each viewer).”

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Skoll posted:

Hello.

I am a normal human being and I have three characters in Destiny.

I only play two though because warlock jump sucks rear end.

Devour makes up for it, comrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I had a weird thing happen yesterday in a Mayhem Crucible match. When the match started it was 2 on 4. Me and a random against 4 guys. We didn't see anyone drop. It just started like that. We decided to continue anyway and were keeping it surprisingly competitive. After a couple of minutes we had 2 more guys pop suddenly into the match on our team. Has anyone had this happen before? Did we have 2 people drop on our side before the match even started and then D2 just throw 2 more guys in? It was odd.

• Locked thread