Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I’m toward the end of chapter 9 so maybe this stuff becomes clearer later but I think I’m supposed to understand it already. I dunno. So anyway here are my questions.

What are flesh eaters and blade eaters? From what I can tell, flesh eaters are blades that....... stole a human’s heart to become mortal??? So that they won’t die when their driver does? And this explains how Jin still has his memories of his driver who is frozen in ice? Or is she not technically dead because of the ice?

And I guess blade eaters are humans who became blades by stealing a blade’s crystal? Or at least part of it? And now they are immortal? The main example being the pope guy who stole half of Fan’s crystal?

Also how did Nia save Tommon Lannister? She gave him part of her crystal? Does that mean she’ll die when he does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bass Bottles posted:

I’m toward the end of chapter 9 so maybe this stuff becomes clearer later but I think I’m supposed to understand it already. I dunno. So anyway here are my questions.

What are flesh eaters and blade eaters? From what I can tell, flesh eaters are blades that....... stole a human’s heart to become mortal??? So that they won’t die when their driver does? And this explains how Jin still has his memories of his driver who is frozen in ice? Or is she not technically dead because of the ice?

And I guess blade eaters are humans who became blades by stealing a blade’s crystal? Or at least part of it? And now they are immortal? The main example being the pope guy who stole half of Fan’s crystal?

Also how did Nia save Tommon Lannister? She gave him part of her crystal? Does that mean she’ll die when he does?

Do you mean Niall? Her power is regeneration. She clearly shows this by undoing Zeke's sword getting vaporized. Niall wasn't dead too long, so she just healed him up.

As for the first part;

Flesh Eaters are kind of a loophole in the whole Blade/Driver pairing. They die when their Driver does, but if they eat part of their Driver's flesh (maybe it's explicitly their heart or just general cannibalism, it's never clear), then technically their Driver remains alive as part of their body and so they don't die when their Driver does. The tradeoff is they now have a fleshy body that will actually eventually die rather than return to a Core Crystal. Lora being frozen in ice is just a grim constant reminder of how terrible everything is for Jin.

Blade Eaters are the inverse, and it's a more healthier symbiosis. Part of the Crystal is embedded in the Driver, keeping them alive because their Blade is. Blades don't die of natural causes, so their Driver's gonna be around as long as they are.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I'd say that my number one annoyance with this game is the insane number of cutscenes that show everyone readying their weapons, and then a battle starts, wherein the first thing you have to do is ready your weapons. I kept on lunging forwards and then going hey, doofus, why aren't you hitting them? Grr.

I really enjoyed this game. When the patch hits on Friday and makes fast-travel easier, I'll probably do some more rare blade questing.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Tiger Tiger is fine except for the red sharks that take three hits to kill.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Tiger Tiger is fine except for the red sharks that take three hits to kill.

Those loving sharks are not color-blind friendly. They look identical to the other 2-hit sharks to me.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Those loving sharks are not color-blind friendly. They look identical to the other 2-hit sharks to me.

I’m pretty sure they are both red? I don’t think they are ever on screen together so it’s hard to be sure. The green ones are one hit.

I know if you time the second attack right you can double hit them to make it a lot easier.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm on the Leftarian Archipelago and I can't kill Zeke. I'm level 42 and he's level 37, I've tried it with Rex and Tora, Nia and Tora, Rex and Tora, Nia and Rex, and I just get walloped when he's at about half health.
What am I meant to do? Should I have a healer on Rex so I can heal Tora? The potions don't seem enough.

It's so loving boring, I just want to carry on with the game and getting womped by team loving Rocket isn't endearing me to it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

I'm on the Leftarian Archipelago and I can't kill Zeke. I'm level 42 and he's level 37, I've tried it with Rex and Tora, Nia and Tora, Rex and Tora, Nia and Rex, and I just get walloped when he's at about half health.
What am I meant to do? Should I have a healer on Rex so I can heal Tora? The potions don't seem enough.

It's so loving boring, I just want to carry on with the game and getting womped by team loving Rocket isn't endearing me to it.

Why do you not have Nia healing? Also why are you only using two party members?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, in party selection, move over to the guy who's currently out and press X.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It wouldn't let me use three. Can I use three? I've been trying over and over with just two people. I couldn't get it to let me put the third party member back in the team. I skipped the animated sequence because it was annoying me and taking me out of the "feel" of the game and just assumed yep, that's what they're doing.

In other news, the quest that requires you to go to the hot springs in Mor Ardain, how do I get to them? The door is locked. Guides say Jac gives you a key but he never gave me one!

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Taear posted:

In other news, the quest that requires you to go to the hot springs in Mor Ardain, how do I get to them? The door is locked. Guides say Jac gives you a key but he never gave me one!

Upstairs in the inn, go out the back way.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zoran posted:

Upstairs in the inn, go out the back way.

Thank you.
And I've done it now. The fight was super easy when I realised I could press X for include. I was just trying to drop them into the empty space - you know, the way it works the entire rest of the time.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Taear posted:

Thank you.
And I've done it now. The fight was super easy when I realised I could press X for include. I was just trying to drop them into the empty space - you know, the way it works the entire rest of the time.

Don't feel bad. Plenty of other people, myself included, didn't realize it worked that way and posted here or elsewhere in frustration at that fight.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Don't feel bad. Plenty of other people, myself included, didn't realize it worked that way and posted here or elsewhere in frustration at that fight.

At least I can be proud I got him to 1/4 of his health. When I'm close on ten levels above him.

More and more the quests in the game are seriously getting on my nerves. It's so hard to work out where you need to go and there are always 10 goddamn sections to every single one. I have no idea how I'd have found the hot springs without asking here, for example. It's like it expects you to dedicate hours to just WANDERING trying to find the secret magical way to go.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I'm partially colorblind (apparently only slightly) and they were obvious to me.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles
Very early chapter 10 spoilers just got done talking to the architect when he explains how he made everything and I feel like I just got slapped with a Bible. Creating the Earth and life, making a trinity of blades, and I just realized that Rex started the game by dying and being brought back to life.

Rex = Jesus confirmed

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ytlaya posted:

Stage 4 of Tiger Tiger is some bullshit.

On the off-chance I somehow survive to the end, there's no way I can get back up. I have no idea how someone is supposed to get the "no damage" or "all treasure" trophies for this level.

Don't worry, stage 5's bullshit will make you yearn for stage 4.

I really want to upgrade Poppi a bunch but Tiger Tiger is legit awful in the later stages and you have to run them for the better upgrades even though the ether reward seems to be barely better, if not worse given the higher difficulty.

Ytlaya posted:

Pretty sure they're the exact same sprite as the 2 hit ones. The first 3 hit shark i encountered killed me from (near?) full health too because of it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chaosfirev posted:

Very early chapter 10 spoilers just got done talking to the architect when he explains how he made everything and I feel like I just got slapped with a Bible. Creating the Earth and life, making a trinity of blades, and I just realized that Rex started the game by dying and being brought back to life.

Rex = Jesus confirmed

The game is a lot more unsubtle with the creation mythos references in the Japanese version. He's just called God instead of The Architect, for one.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Tiger Tiger is supposed to be getting an easy mode in the upcoming patch so maybe that will make the experience less painful.

I doubt it, but maybe.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Taear posted:

It's like it expects you to dedicate hours to just WANDERING trying to find the secret magical way to go.

This is exactly what I do. I spent about 90 minutes trying to figure out how to open the control room door for Perceval's affinity quest and I listened to nice music, got some merc quests racked up, found some secret vistas, did some salvaging etc. I never even fought anything either bc I'm like 20 levels higher than every enemy and nothing aggros

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Taear posted:

I have no idea how I'd have found the hot springs without asking here, for example. It's like it expects you to dedicate hours to just WANDERING trying to find the secret magical way to go.

I knew to check there because of the story scene at the hot springs, which you trigger at the inn.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Taear posted:

It wouldn't let me use three. Can I use three? I've been trying over and over with just two people. I couldn't get it to let me put the third party member back in the team. I skipped the animated sequence because it was annoying me and taking me out of the "feel" of the game and just assumed yep, that's what they're doing.

Morag doesn't want to fight him so if she's in your party it just sets her to inactive. Look at the bottom of the screen when you're on the party select menu (same spot it always lists what the buttons do when you're in the menu) and you will see a button that says either "deactivate" or "activate", or something like that. Activate your third party member.

Side note: every time I see people complaining about KOS-MOS I laugh a little because I got her before I even left the Gormott titan and I basically never use her.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I finally got one of the Tiger Tiger exclusive drops from stage 5, the Master Muscle Mod, so now Tora will hit things harder. Cool. The drop rate on the rare stuff still seems wayyyy too low though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm still so bad at Tora ToraTiger Tiger that I can't even break the 20k required for poppi's affinity. Hopefully it will count 50k as well if I hit that will getting 20. Or maybe Easy mode will fix that problem for me.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm still so bad at Tora ToraTiger Tiger that I can't even break the 20k required for poppi's affinity. Hopefully it will count 50k as well if I hit that will getting 20. Or maybe Easy mode will fix that problem for me.

Just don't even worry about breaking that score on any level but the first one. If you get all 3 medals (full health, all crystals, all chests), you'll get a big ol' bonus and easily make the 50k. You don't even have to get the pacifist medal.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Invenerable posted:

Just don't even worry about breaking that score on any level but the first one. If you get all 3 medals (full health, all crystals, all chests), you'll get a big ol' bonus and easily make the 50k. You don't even have to get the pacifist medal.

I think you're underestimating how bad I am at doing this.

Like I legitimately have no idea how people even get the all crystals medal. I watched a video of someone that did it it and I swear he's moving faster than I can and I don't know why.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I never beat the first one - do I need to to understand what's going on in this one?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Just out of morbid curiosity, has anyone done the math on just how many times you have to send Ursula out on her special merc missions to max her tree out? I just unlocked the 4th affinity level and that required something like 30 missions itself.

Unrelated, but I got Treasure Sensor I from Tiger Tiger and threw that on Poppi, then equipped Adenine, and I'm getting so many core chips/aux cores/crystals now. Hooray for loot boosts.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

I never beat the first one - do I need to to understand what's going on in this one?

No, the stories are 99% separate and the tie in is more like a bonus for people who played the first game, not a thing you have to know

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Just out of morbid curiosity, has anyone done the math on just how many times you have to send Ursula out on her special merc missions to max her tree out? I just unlocked the 4th affinity level and that required something like 30 missions itself.

Unrelated, but I got Treasure Sensor I from Tiger Tiger and threw that on Poppi, then equipped Adenine, and I'm getting so many core chips/aux cores/crystals now. Hooray for loot boosts.

i have like 90 of each ticket and still don't have the fifth tree open but i do have a merc mission that says "more than 4000 fans" oh baby can't wait to get all these healing skills on 4th character i don't use much :thumbsup:

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Tales of Woe posted:

No, the stories are 99% separate and the tie in is more like a bonus for people who played the first game, not a thing you have to know

Cool good to know, thanks.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Is Azami ever going to return from this merc mission

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Bass Bottles posted:

Is Azami ever going to return from this merc mission

You should go check the docks in Uraya.

ApproachingInfinity
Sep 14, 2008
I was stuck on that for a long time too - Go to the Dock in Fonsa Myma, you have to put her on the mission then go there for it to complete.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

:stare: when you use KOS-MOS on Nia to do a full burst :hellyeah:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Zoran posted:

:stare: when you use KOS-MOS on Nia to do a full burst :hellyeah:

I love how tora goes apeshit on his full burst with his last blade.

Also Vale and 5th are extremely dorky together. They really deserve each other.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 20, 2017

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
End game spoilers

Now Adam Howden is basically voicing the triforce

XB2 Klaus has the triforce of wisdom

XB1 klaus has the triforce of power

Shulk has the triforce of courage

Rex channels from the big central power of the goddesses

Alternatively zanza has the triforce of courage and only loses it to shulk because he was no longer worthy.

Malos has the triforce of power in this case.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I haven't but I will do it right now, just for you.

At 9 stamps you unlock a mission that gives you two stamps as a reward instead of one.
At 75 (:lol:) you get one that gives you three stamps

So 9 + 33 + 8 = 50 quests

...times three for 150 total just to get the stamps. There are other merc missions as well I believe for concerts and stuff.

But 1500 minutes of merc missions (I'm assuming that any time you save with field skills are cancelled out by the time between them finishing and you sending them back out again). For only the stamps. Which is 25 hours.

God help me I'm actually doing this, too. Currently at 15/15/13 :suicide:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Don’t forget you can send out multiple teams as well. Realistically that could just be 10 hours, which, frankly, is how long it would take me to fill out many affinity charts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Don’t forget you can send out multiple teams as well. Realistically that could just be 10 hours, which, frankly, is how long it would take me to fill out many affinity charts.

All of Ursula's missions have a requirement of Ursula as the leader