Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

PederP posted:

Yes, that's also been my experience when visiting America. It's not that we don't love sugar in Denmark, why we even have glazed ham, but it's primarily something to be used extremely sparingly outside of confectionery and deserts. Our local turnip sugar pushers try their best to get us to use more sugar in cooking, but it hasn't really caught on (apart from sugary beverages and candy en masse). But the American love of sugar in actual proper food is very odd to me.

Don't get me wrong: I like sweet-and-salty - especially sauces are awesome with a healthy amount of sweetness (preferably from onions, wine, etc. rather than refined sugar). But most food gets perfectly sweet without interference - fried meat, baked vegetables, etc.

To be fair, we have our own culinary oddities. I have rather fond memories of how some brits react to seeing us put chocolate in scones, and we do love a good helping of salty licorice to get our blood pressure maxed out. But our use of butter when baking, and not foul vegetable oils, is a great example of culinary supremacy.

It's less that 'Americans' love this crap so much as the industrial food companies that tend to monopolize the landscape love it and everything is full of something actually worse than sugar -high fructose corn syrup. It's from subsidized corn, and they stick it in loving everything because they are looking to offload this industrial byproduct and the folks running the food industry don't lose any sleep over how addictive and lovely it makes food. It's difficult and expensive to avoid, but can be done though if you look at a typical American you can see most have not figured out how.

http://www.businessinsider.com/billions-in-tax-dollars-subsidize-the-junk-food-industry-2012-7

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/how-corn-syrup-might-be-making-us-hungry-and-fat/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
why is the trailer fake and why does mark hamil's skin look muddy

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

They could have at least thrown Michael Beihn a bone and scanned his face into their horrible melty face renderer so he could deliver the best line from a movie in 1986 himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuEo09C45Tk

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Squadron-42-Standalone-Pledge

lol it's back

Available as a pre-order in 2016, removed in 2017, now a pledge for 2018.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it has the same issue that paarp had

the face looks like it was made of plastic, then melted slightly and smushed flat

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
in essence, a ps2 game

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
That was the worst trailer I've seen for a game in a long time.

Even Stalin vs Aliens was better, and that's saying a loving lot.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
The ship is completely stationary. This is some hot stuff. How much can I buy that jpeg for?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Its weird that Hamill got a facelift though. I guess its just taken so long for the military complex in Squadron 42 to get its poo poo together that even your videogame avatar will age.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Virtual Captain posted:

The ship is completely stationary. This is some hot stuff. How much can I buy that jpeg for?

gently caress it, I've already bought back in.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

new splash page. Focuses heavily on mocap and melted faces. In fact the picture of spaceships doing space things is the only image that isn't animated if you mouse over it, because there is in fact no gameplay.

Also it would appear Gillian Anderson's agent wasn't able to get her out of her contract, based on how many times they mention her.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/squadron42

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Scruffpuff posted:

Tip for CIG: you don't have to steal every gameplay element, rename it, then deny knowing about it and claiming you invented it. Especially since everything you reinvent has been broken poo poo. There's no shame in just using what the real game developers are using. You might even squeak out something resembling a smartphone app one day.

There is if you have to report to the Crobbler. Giving a complex system a pretentious-sounding name is a classic method of managing up. It's not merely a context-sensitive USE dialogue, it's the Inner Thought System(TM). Deliciously copyrightable, and when Chris says "why isn't the commando procedurally pressing every button on the cockpit keyboard like I told you to do? This isn't fidelitous enough! ", you tell him "that's coming in Inner Thought 2.0" and quietly send your CV to a few more recruiters.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beet Wagon posted:

new splash page. Focuses heavily on mocap and melted faces. In fact the picture of spaceships doing space things is the only image that isn't animated if you mouse over it, because there is in fact no gameplay.

Also it would appear Gillian Anderson's agent wasn't able to get her out of her contract, based on how many times they mention her.

Callsign: Second Fiddle

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What a confusing clusterfuck of an alpha trailer.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Why yes, I am the pilot of this craft, watch me jump down 13 steps just to break my ankles.

Do you like my ridiculous chest armour and cock-cup? I designed it myself. You'll notice that, as a pilot, I often find myself requiring body armour in tight, closed cockpits.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Dear Diary,

I sassed the gently caress out of my flight engineer today. I told that rear end in a top hat that the flux capacitor was sticking and I couldn't reverse the inverted high-beam intensity frequency and he tells ME that I might be wrong?

Fucker better get ready to suck my oval office if he gives me any more lip.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beet Wagon posted:

Wow they're really trying to pretend like this is a thing that will happen

Notice that as you hover over the mocap session and the cutscene, they move, but the actual ship flying does not move

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Taintrunner posted:

Wow they're really trying to pretend like this is a thing that will happen

Notice that as you hover over the mocap session and the cutscene, they move, but the actual ship flying does not move

The actual flying ship is also a photoshop and not in-game (:lol:) footage.

I've never seen this level of openness and in-your-face audacity in a scam before. 99% of everything they put out is promising ongoing game development and implying tons of behind-the-scenes progress, but lightly scratch the surface and you see that the ONLY thing CIG has made is the superficial illusory stuff. They just put the scam right there out in the open, in your face, with full confidence. "Yep, we're completely full of poo poo, give us more cash and we'll make more fake trailers for a game nobody knows how to build."

And every day, it's working.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 20, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
THERE'S NO loving FOOTAGE. OF SPACESHIPS. FLYING. IN THEIR loving. SPACE GAAAAAAAAMMMMMEEEEE

this whole goddamn thing is a scam so crobberts and sandi can become titans of industry running some lovely vfx studio in hollywood. there was never an actual game

chochmah
Sep 27, 2015
You can tell that the ign footage apart from the last shot was directed by the Robert's himself and not the German cinematic guy, everything is static, everything is shot reverse shot.

I have high hopes for sq42, it's going to be The Room of FMV with the budget of Heavens Gate.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Holy hell, when did Mark Hamill have a stroke? :ohdear:

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

no_recall posted:

The current runners:

Posting from the past;

Put me down for 8,123,456

it's going to be the best sale ever because backers are going to come out in droves to show their support against the merit less lawsuit

that or CR is going to fake the numbers to feign strength

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
It's just so bad.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
even worse is the "PLEDGE NOW!" button

fuckin didn't people already pledge one hundred and fifty loving million dollars and you still don't have gameplay to show, you know, of the ships flying around, shooting each other, in a singleplayer campaign

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Beet Wagon posted:

Wait I thought Mark Hamill was supposed to be in the trailer. Who the gently caress is this guy?

I kept thinking it was Brad Pitt for some reason. Maybe it was the haircut.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
To all my reddit bros,

I have supported this project immensely for the last 7 6 4 3 years that this game has been officially announced and worked on. I just want to say that it has been an amazing ride and I look forward to many more years of endless amazement over trivial game development things. Additionally, I think Chris Roberts and Sandi Gardiner are the hardest working couple on the planet!

Now, with all that said and done, I would like to know why the inner thoughts design and implementation within the player UI has been changed, and why does my character voice the inner thought as well? Shouldn't an inner thought not be voiced? I have also imagined myself playing as a female character, as most of you certainly have as well, so why is that trailer voiced by a male?

Anyways I really love what we have been shown and I want you all to keep down what you're doing!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

The actual flying ship is also a photoshop and not in-game (:lol:) footage.

I've never seen this level of openness and in-your-face audacity in a scam before. 99% of everything they put out is promising ongoing game development and implying tons of behind-the-scenes progress, but lightly scratch the surface and you see that the ONLY thing CIG has made is the superficial illusory stuff. They just put the scam right there out in the open, in your face, with full confidence. "Yep, we're completely full of poo poo, give us more cash and we'll make more fake trailers for a game nobody knows how to build."

And every day, it's working.

Stop spreading FUD. I'm buying back in. :colbert:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All jokes aside I'm officially upgrading CIG's efforts from an earnest attempt at matching Doom 3 to an earnest attempt to reach the level of quality found in Dead Space 2.

Which is seven years of progress in just four years of effort.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dusty Lens posted:

All jokes aside I'm officially upgrading CIG's efforts from an earnest attempt at matching Doom 3 to an earnest attempt to reach the level of quality found in Dead Space 2.

Which is seven years of progress in just four years of effort.

TAKE THAT BACK!!! :argh:

Dead Space 2 looked WAY better!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I am Mark "Old Man" Hamill and my only language is 90s cliché

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

D_Smart posted:

TAKE THAT BACK!!! :argh:

Dead Space 2 looked WAY better!

An earnest attempt.

But I will 100% concede without reservation that they're making Doom 3 look like a game that came out half a decade ago.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Why yes, I am the pilot of this craft, watch me jump down 13 steps just to break my ankles.
True to in-engine ladder behaviour.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Is :gary: really completely cut from the game?

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

quote:

Oldman: What General Bishop called the Battle of Levski is over. I expect that the Battle of Terra is about to begin. Upon this battle depends the survival of human civilization. Upon it depends our own life, and the long continuity of our institutions and our Empire. The whole fury and might of the enemy must very soon be turned on us.

The Vanduul knows that he will have to break us in this Island or lose the war. If we can stand up to him, all may be free and the life of the galaxy may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands. But if we fail, then the whole galaxy, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new Dark Age made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perverted science.

Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that if the UEE last for a thousand years, men will still say, ‘This was their finest hour.’.

Squadron 42: <Cheering>

Oldman: <Player Name>, You'll be riding with me. I need someone to work the drink mixer.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

Chalks posted:

Is :gary: really completely cut from the game?

He is mentioned on the new site fwiw.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

PC gaming is saved.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

After watching this video I predict 999k.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I predict 7.2 million on the grounds of Star Wars Hype

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

note how subsumption seems to be keen on pooping in pants

i dunno what is the purpose of this thing? Crush the balls when vanduul kicks it at quicktime event?

mocap is still broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.
And here we have Crobberts, in court, testifying about the legitimacy of the SQ42 trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_noilU08ro