Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

She’s the best. Probably the only dog in the world that gets mad if you don’t put her sweater on.

My dog initially hated her sweater, but my wife convinced me to basically sit in my recliner with it behind my head for a day.

Now that it smells like me, she starts howling in the morning until I put the drat thing on her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Lucy seems confused but I for one am pumped to finally watch Hell Comes to Frogtown! She doesn’t know anything about good movies anyway, she’s just a dog.

Thanks Mystery Santa!

Oh right, I forgot to put my name on the gift note! Another package is also on the way, as the note says - I usually like to have everything shipped to me first and then send them out in one package, but this year I had to resort to relying on Amazon alone. Hopefully the other half of the gift will get there before Christmas, as well!

(Honestly, the separate shipments were just a ploy to make you post two pictures of your dog instead of just one)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Bicyclops posted:

His opponent in that election, however, was too cartoonishly evil to be a Doctor Who villain.

wasn't there that eighth doctor big finish where they fought a southern politician

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

corn in the bible posted:

wasn't there that eighth doctor big finish where they fought a southern politician

We don't talk about Minuet in Hell, you know that.

pretty little satin bottoms

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I remember because I started listening to all the eighth doctor stuff in order cause mcgann is cool, and then I regretted it as soon as I got to the "sexy brothel" serial

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That story is the explanation for every explosive bout of amnesia the 8th Doctor has suffered, including the bouts that preceded this story.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Edward Mass posted:

Dubbed or subbed?

Neither in this case, the Sony Centre runs Original Versions of films in English without subs in their program, along with dubbed/subbed ones. But both of these in this case are just as broadcast it seems.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Forktoss posted:

(Honestly, the separate shipments were just a ploy to make you post two pictures of your dog instead of just one)

Yes, more pictures of your dog! :3:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

I remember because I started listening to all the eighth doctor stuff in order cause mcgann is cool, and then I regretted it as soon as I got to the "sexy brothel" serial

At least Minuet is firmly into "this is ridiculous" territory. As opposed to Stones of Venice which is just tedious as balls.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's an interview RTD did with the NME the other day about how he got into screenwriting and his career in TV.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Fil5000 posted:

At least Minuet is firmly into "this is ridiculous" territory. As opposed to Stones of Venice which is just tedious as balls.

Wasn't Stones of Venice one of the stories initially written to try to get Tom to record with Big Finish?

I think Holy Terror was too, with K-9 instead of Frobisher.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I think that's right, yeah. It's unsurprising he passed if that was what they showed him.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Tom Baker passing on The Holy Terror seems nuts until you realize the K9 version wouldn't have that story' best character.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Lucy seems confused but I for one am pumped to finally watch Hell Comes to Frogtown! She doesn’t know anything about good movies anyway, she’s just a dog.

Thanks Mystery Santa!

Wow. DEF-CON 4. One of those movies where I always loved the VHS cover in the video store but never got around to renting.

And here we have Paul McGann doing a perfect impersonation of me during last week's Steelers/Patriots game, minus the copious amounts of swearing.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 20, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

That story is the explanation for every explosive bout of amnesia the 8th Doctor has suffered, including the bouts that preceded this story.

Man, he really does get amnesia a lot huh. I like that one story where you think it's the doctor with amnesia again but he's actually a different person! Whoah!

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

Man, he really does get amnesia a lot huh. I like that one story where you think it's the doctor with amnesia again but he's actually a different person! Whoah!

Luthor?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DoctorWhat posted:

Tom Baker passing on The Holy Terror seems nuts until you realize the K9 version wouldn't have that story' best character.

In the 4th Doctor version of The Holy Terror, the people would've been worshiping The Doctor as god. BF admitted that they thought that being worshiped would've appealed to Tom.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mine is the one where some lady is absolutely convinced he's actually her amnesiac husband and won't hear a word to the contrary from him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

In the 4th Doctor version of The Holy Terror, the people would've been worshiping The Doctor as god. BF admitted that they thought that being worshiped would've appealed to Tom.

Why would Tom want to do a fictional story about something he already experiences every day of his life? :confused:

docbeard posted:

Mine is the one where some lady is absolutely convinced he's actually her amnesiac husband and won't hear a word to the contrary from him.

I like the one where he's been chilling on some planet for a few hundred years when Lucie Miller finds him and gets loving infuriated because he can't quite remember her name :3:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Part 2 of my DWSS gift arrived today and I can't wait to teach Lucy all about how Sly is the best Doc and Delta and The Bannermen is actually a misunderstood masterpiece.

Seriously though, this thing is great. I love BTS stuff and my collection is sorely missing Doctor Who books. I particularly love stuff written during the same era, I actually just bought a whole stack of old Starlogs for that reason.

Excellent gifts, Forktoss, thank you very much and Merry/Happy Christmas!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Yesss there she is! :allears:

I'm glad you liked them, Merry Christmas!

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

docbeard posted:

I don't really care if Richard Hurndall isn't otherwise very good, WHAT ARE YOU YOUNG PEOPLE DOING IN MY TARDIS makes me laugh every drat time.

Though the Master's smug "What makes you think I want your forgiveness" at the Time Lord High Council is my personal favorite bit.

Tops for me is :geno:'No. Not the mind probe :geno:.' During our DW writing project, my co-writer and I sent this comment back and forth a lot when dealing with the publisher and their editors.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ms Boods posted:

:geno:'No. Not the mind probe :geno:.'

I have gotten so much use out of this over the... Jesus, the decades.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:derp:

As I don't have time for BF or SS I have little to add to the ongoing convo, and all I can do is keep popping in to keep counting down. I wish it was soon enough to count down in "rels," just because it's an excellent unit for telling tmie. I suppose it's approximately 350,000 rels until The Doctor Regenerates.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

it's approximately 350,000 rels until The Doctor Regenerates.

I imagine this is how you're spending your time till Xmas? :)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm seeing it in theaters on December 27th, so I'll have to drop out of the thread for two days. I'll have to pass the time by listening to Tom Baker talk about the Ark in Space, courtesy of Big Mean Jerk.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

I imagine this is how you're spending your time till Xmas? :)

Yes, except from the animated The Power of the Daleks, or, as I like to think of it...

The Sealab of the Daleks!

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
http://mailchi.mp/silvascreen/dw9

I am in heaven

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

At long last, after being a good and patient boy for very many years, I will receive a dedicated disc of the Heaven Sent soundtrack.

2018 is gonna be a good year.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can't imagine the Heaven Sent soundtrack, because when I try to recall it, I picture the "Hell of a bird!" scene with that music that plays in Kill Bill when she's punching her way out of the coffin.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CommonShore posted:

Yes, except from the animated The Power of the Daleks, or, as I like to think of it...

Man, Harry Goz would have been so perfect as an idiot Base-Under-Siege commander who goes nuts. :smith:

Post-breakdown Hindle in "Kinda" was Captain Murphy's default state.

"Those are people, Sparks. You can't mend people."

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I found a youtube account that tried to clean up unreleased Doctor Who music by trying to filter out the voices, and since that was the only source for the big Heaven Sent montage music for a long time, I can't listen to that music now without hearing Peter Capaldi's faint yelling in the background

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CommonShore posted:

"POD SIX WAS JERRRRRKS!"

"I HATE POD SIX! THEY ARE A TO-TAL SUCK POOOOOOOOD! THEY MUST BE EX-TERM-IN-A-TED!!"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Astroman posted:

"POD SIX WAS JERRRRRKS!"

"I HATE POD SIX! THEY ARE A TO-TAL SUCK POOOOOOOOD! THEY MUST BE EX-TERM-IN-A-TED!!"

“DODGE-BALL TIME! IT IS DODGE-BALL TIME!”

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

CommonShore posted:

The Dalek not moving in sync with everything else during the zoom-in annoys me unreasonably.

"THE DOC-TOR IS GOING TO BE BUSY WITH THAT HOOK-ER FOR A WHILE."
"WHAAAAAT? A HOOK-ERRRRRR?!?"
"UH-OH! UH-OH! UH-OH! UH-OH! UH-OH! UH-OH! UH-OH-UH-OH, UH-OH-UH-OH! UH-OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!"

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Hello lords and ladies. Been stuck in a pocket dimension for a while. Just popped in to say I finally am getting caught up on my Doctor’s BF audios since I have a longer commute now. Got through Lucie Miller / To the Death ( :drat: ) took a detour through the Tom Baker / Mary Tamm season (RIP Romana I, the best Romana :gonk: ) and I’m now halfway through Dark Eyes I. My non-spoiler review : :f5:

I’m actually sorry a long break is coming up because I’m not sure I’ll be able to listen over it. Hoooooly poo poo why did I wait so long to listen to it?

Jerusalem, are you ever going to review Dark Eyes?

Is there something big going on in the televised version? Not sure. v:shobon:v

Also obligatory: Ah! New thread! *looks around* I don’t like it.

(hmm. This McGann A.V. is showing it’s age. Maybe I’ll make a new one. )

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Doctor Zero posted:

(hmm. This McGann A.V. is showing it’s age. Maybe I’ll make a new one. )

Just make earnest posts about bikes, that seems to work

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I tried by making several earnest posts about how stupid cars are, but all I got was a probation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Jerusalem, are you ever going to review Dark Eyes?

I planned to after finishing the 8th Doctor Adventures but the very end of that spoiled something from the Six/Charley run so I decided to get into that and finish up Blue Forgotten Planet then jump onto that. Gotta get caught up on that and Doom Coalition so I can get started on The Time War.... oh my God there is so much Big Finish :stare:

And we're almost up to the Christmas Special and the end of Capaldi/start of Whittaker too!

• Locked thread