Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Who cares, this Malokarpatan album rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm aghast that somebody like something that I don't!!!

Also DragonForce should have called it quits after ZP Theart quit.

If Friedman-sama thinks Babymetal is cool, then I do too!

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I'm really enjoying that White Ward album.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
For a band from Virginia, Lamb of God is pretty heavy stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWkhCxCcWSE

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

A3th3r posted:

For a band from Virginia

Have you ever heard of GWAR or Pig Destroyer or Municipal Waste or

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Dragonforce should have given up after Inhuman Rampage because let's be honest they were never going to live up to that

Ultra Beatdown and everything that has come after it has been garbage

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

kumba posted:

Dragonforce should have given up after Inhuman Rampage because let's be honest they were never going to live up to that

I agree, although there were a few good tracks on Ultra Beatdown.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Have you guys heard this band called Ghost? Wow!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
their live album they released last week or 2 weeks ago or wahtever owns unironically

if you hate ghost you hate fun

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They’re not interesting enough to hate

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Ghost is probably the only recent metal band that I am a dickhead about. Just go listen to Mercyful Fate or Repugnant.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
I find Ghost enjoyable in moderate doses but for my main light Satanic pop metal needs I turn to Hour of 13.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Groke posted:

I find Ghost enjoyable in moderate doses but for my main light Satanic pop metal needs I turn to Hour of 13.

Hour of 13, poppy? They’re just trad doom.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Hail Spirit Noir are the best band in that style IMO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFbyb5wvG_M

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

il_cornuto posted:

Hail Spirit Noir are the best band in that style IMO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFbyb5wvG_M

That's my 2016 AOTY, such a great album.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

COOL CORN posted:

Who cares, this Malokarpatan album rules

Indeed it does. Funny how a few of the best albums of the year came out after half the list-makers started making theirs.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Power and folk metal are basically my jam, not death metal or black metal. What good power/folk metal came out this year?

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

dont even fink about it posted:

Power and folk metal are basically my jam, not death metal or black metal. What good power/folk metal came out this year?

Two that managed to stand out for me this year.

CROM!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLH7AXpQjqU

Ironflame
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhbPGcsFQKI

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 21, 2017

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Have you guys heard this band called Ghost? Wow!

If we are doing this, Machine Head will release a new record in January.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Latest Batle Beast album is pretty decent. Cheesy, but that's par for the course.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Wow, Babymetal and Ghost chat in less than two pages. I hope we're getting it out of our system for the new year.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Non Serviam posted:

Latest Batle Beast album is pretty decent. Cheesy, but that's par for the course.

Beast in Black is basically the same but better, which makes sense because it's the original Battle Beast frontman's (and songwriter's) new band since BB kicked him out. I found all the songs I heard from the latest Battle Beast really boring but BiB is good stuff.

Satan's Hallow is really nice traditional US power/heavy metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu4FPeenyTU

I also literally just now found out that Iron Savior have released a new album a couple weeks ago. Apparently It's a compilation of their old material re-recorded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNl6MYqpmrs

Can't really tell about folk metal, but the new Crimfall album is loving fantastic and has some folky elements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jwk5stO0oU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Spatulater bro! posted:

Wow, Babymetal and Ghost chat in less than two pages. I hope we're getting it out of our system for the new year.

Sorry, that's my fault. I didn't realize I'd created a monster.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Been a lot jokes with my friend going back and fourth about guillotines recently(see: the new tax bill), so I wondered if there was a metal band named "Guillotine" out there. Of course there is, Metal Archives has a bunch listed, but this one seems to be the most known of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9MPxuY4qYc

It's actually kinda good. Some good old fashioned thrash from Sweden.

In other news thanks to whoever brought up Igorrr the other day. I've listened to that weird rear end album like 10 times now. I dig it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Can we all agree that the pinch harmonic riff in the second half of Great Southern Trendkill is the best riff in that band's catalogue?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

il_cornuto posted:

I liked Dissection the couple of times I listened to them, but then I found out that Jon comitted a (probably homophobic) murder, and also used to kill cats. I can seperate the artist and their work to an extent, but that's too much for me.

gently caress really? I like Dissection :(

e: well okay read up on that stuff and lol cool there goes a band I don’t want to listen to anymore. Glad Jon offed himself though rest in piss bigot animal killing shithead #738483927

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 20, 2017

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

Nordick posted:

Satan's Hallow is really nice traditional US power/heavy metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu4FPeenyTU

Seconding this, it's been a favorite this year.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Kilometers Davis posted:

gently caress really? I like Dissection :(

e: well okay read up on that stuff and lol cool there goes a band I don’t want to listen to anymore. Glad Jon offed himself though rest in piss bigot animal killing shithead #738483927

The music is still good. It's not like every time you listen to The Somberlain a cat is killed. Some of you really need to get a grip.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
A couple more standout releases from this year that I think deserve to be heard:

Sanhedrin - Funeral for the World
Pretty kickass traditional heavy metal, with the occasional doom tinge and a seriously powerful vocalist lady.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds3XflPV6lk

Blazon Stone - Down in the Dark
Running Wild Jr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRAKScGgF7c

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Oldstench posted:

The music is still good. It's not like every time you listen to The Somberlain a cat is killed. Some of you really need to get a grip.

The concept of separating the artist from art is bullshit to me and doesn’t make any sense. The person puts themselves into the art and in my opinion bigoted murders and cat torture overrides my interest in the music. I can listen to plenty of music from “bad” people but that’s a line too far. It’s a balance.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

il_cornuto posted:

I liked Dissection the couple of times I listened to them, but then I found out that Jon comitted a (probably homophobic) murder, and also used to kill cats. I can seperate the artist and their work to an extent, but that's too much for me.

Yeah, if theres one thing I can say about brushing up on Black Metal history as an adult (re-reading Evolution of the Cult for a podcast) is it's really difficult at times to separate personal moral standing with some of the poo poo these dudes have done or said.

Having said that, I still enjoy Burzum and Dissection, despite their leaders being massive cunts. At least Varg has been a comedy goldmine for years.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

kumba posted:

Valley of the Damned was the only Dragonforce album I liked and that was in 03/04, after that it just felt like they were doing the same thing over and over again, and there's really only so many times I can listen to wanky guitars before it just becomes dull.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

The concept of separating the artist from art is bullshit to me and doesn’t make any sense. The person puts themselves into the art and in my opinion bigoted murders and cat torture overrides my interest in the music. I can listen to plenty of music from “bad” people but that’s a line too far. It’s a balance.

It's a discussion people have had a million times over and there's no right answer. But I'm pretty sure cat murder is not a part of Dissection's music.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's a discussion people have had a million times over and there's no right answer. But I'm pretty sure cat murder is not a part of Dissection's music.
It was cat sacrifice, for Satan, so

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Henchman of Santa posted:

It’s a part of the human creating the art though. Not trying to convince anyone else how to feel btw those are just my standards.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Yeah to be clear, I don't think any less of anyone who does still listen to Dissection or whoever, it's just personally I can't stop myself being aware of the facts surrounding it and I can't enjoy it. And as Kilometers Davis said, it's a balance - there's still a lot of music I listen to that is made by people I really wouldn't like for whatever reason.

Sorry for ruining Dissection for you Kilometers Davis.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

il_cornuto posted:

Yeah to be clear, I don't think any less of anyone who does still listen to Dissection or whoever, it's just personally I can't stop myself being aware of the facts surrounding it and I can't enjoy it. And as Kilometers Davis said, it's a balance - there's still a lot of music I listen to that is made by people I really wouldn't like for whatever reason.

Sorry for ruining Dissection for you Kilometers Davis.

Nah buddy it’s all good :) I like knowing about the artists I listen to whether it’s good or bad. There’s plenty of black metal in that style I can go to when I need it anyway. Only half of them are likely to be murderers or nazis right? :argh:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I would honestly just avoid black metal from Europe unless it's specifically anti-fascist in that case.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m addicted to that sinking gut feeling of finding new Eastern European bands and playing that game.

When that doesn’t do the trick anymore you move on to neo folk and martial Industrial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m addicted to that sinking gut feeling of finding new Eastern European bands and playing that game.

When that doesn’t do the trick anymore you move on to neo folk and martial Industrial.

These days I'm often browsing artist Wikipedia pages when I'm listening to them and it's always fun to find the "controversy" section.