Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

There are a few hubs but yes the point is you make your own outposts or hubs and link them together instead.

I get that Fallout 4's base building mechanics can be fun, but this seems like a really lazy way to do world design.

- We haven't got enough towns on the map!
- Eh, let the player build them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Not content with simply making their players fix their game, now you have to fill in these parts of the game we were too lazy to as well!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I would be (somewhat) cool with it if so much wasn't hid behind perks.

World Famous W has a new favorite as of 22:53 on Dec 20, 2017

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I get that Fallout 4's base building mechanics can be fun

Speaking of which, did Bethsoft ever fix the base interface, or is it still the worst poo poo for construction?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I get that Fallout 4's base building mechanics can be fun, but this seems like a really lazy way to do world design.

- We haven't got enough towns on the map!
- Eh, let the player build them.

Welcome to the Bethesda School of Developing, where the players fix the games and it's a selling point.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I'd have been a bit more forgiving of it if it wasn't so much effort to make the towns not look like poo poo even if you just give yourself infinite resources and the ai could cope with it a better and if stuff happened that wasn't turret spots a blowfly and everyone loses their loving minds

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Fallout 4 is a game I hate with close to 300 hours play time and I think I might have brain issues.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

World Famous W posted:

Fallout 4 is a game I hate with close to 300 hours play time and I think I might have brain issues.

That's every Bethesda game.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

It is though isn't it. I really enjoy their games at the start and for a while but I never can tell when to stop playing them because they're about to feel real dead.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Thundercracker posted:

My gripe about Vermintide is that nearly 10 years after Left 4 Dead people still don't know how to play a L4D clone. I've seen people split off from teams to run back to kill some mice when everyone else is cheesing it to the next location.

Or completely ignoring objectives to kill the endless waves of mice.

Vermintide isn't a clone. The only knowledge from L4D that really transfers is "don't split up" and "don't get hit." In fact, I'm not sure there even is any other game with a similar first person melee system to use as a basis for learning vermintide

The rats run faster than you. You have to kill them. If it's just a few then yeah ranged weapons should be used instead of running back to whack them, but if someone is fighting in the back during a rolling event or clearing out a wave before making progress on an objective and you run away from them, you're the problem

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Smash rats at all times in Vermintide, if any rats are about and unsmashed, you need to smash better.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

All VR games will be bad forever so really Bethesda is ahead of the curve.

They make for hilarious gameplay videos though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JGkpGM2ENc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pmCkXEd5Kk

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FFT posted:

That said, what the gently caress were they thinking with the bathroom(s)?

What are we supposed to be seeing here?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Tiggum posted:

It's "Abstergo" not "Aspergo" this doesn't concern you.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Tiggum posted:

There's the monitor right behind the shitter. If you're making GBS threads, you won't be able to see it. Now, I know your objection; "He stands to pee, most men do." You know that's the men's room because there are urinals. But if he just had to take a piss, he'd go to the urinal.

Halt your typing, nerd; you're right, some men would prefer to go piss in the toilet, but it's a video game. The urinals are there for peeing, and everyone who was programmed to go piss in that bathroom would use the urinal.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

There's the monitor right behind the shitter. If you're making GBS threads, you won't be able to see it. Now, I know your objection; "He stands to pee, most men do." You know that's the men's room because there are urinals. But if he just had to take a piss, he'd go to the urinal.

Halt your typing, nerd; you're right, some men would prefer to go piss in the toilet, but it's a video game. The urinals are there for peeing, and everyone who was programmed to go piss in that bathroom would use the urinal.

The cubicle is also much too wide, it's like a disabled toilet without any of the arms to lift yourself with. The paper is a long way from the seat and recessed behind the seat, so you'd have to twist loads to reach it.

Theres also what looks like an aftershave bottle in there, which is gross and weird.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Leavemywife posted:

If I was trying to watch TV while taking a piss, I would pee all over the floor. This poo poo requires concentration, yo.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gerblyn posted:

If I was trying to watch TV while taking a piss, I would pee all over the floor. This poo poo requires concentration, yo.

Just lol if you don't have Enrique aim your penis while you watch the toilet television.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The cubicle is also much too wide, it's like a disabled toilet without any of the arms to lift yourself with. The paper is a long way from the seat and recessed behind the seat, so you'd have to twist loads to reach it.

Theres also what looks like an aftershave bottle in there, which is gross and weird.

It's an eeeeeeeevil toilet. Probably based on secret bathroom designs stolen from the Marquis de Sade or some bollocks.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Does the new Stream release of Maniac Mansion seriously not have music or am I going nuts? I heard the title theme and then when I started the game...nothing. I know the NES version has better music but I didn't realize that was "any music at all", what am I missing?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
What if that's actually what Ubisoft's real bathrooms are like and their inclusion is meant as a cry for help.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I really like doing no kill no detection runs in video games. Dishonored is probably my favourite stealth game and gives rewards and achievements for completing missions with no kills or detection. Some of the missions are very long and sprawling and it doesn't tell you until the results screen at the end of each mission if you succeeded at either. This is frustrating because you can be detected from pretty far away without realising it and be long gone before any enemies come near you or set off an alarm. There is also an ability to slow down time (and later stop it) that I think is the source of many of these. Enemies get icons around their heads indicating level of suspicion that grow until they explode (confirmed sighting) however these icons disappear immediately when they are killed or knocked unconscious. In slowed time it can be hard to tell if the icon disappeared because of your sleep dart or because they have fully seen you.

The kills are awkward but not generally an issue. It's from the usual things like leaving unconscious bodies near a body of water/puddle, leaving them near animal hazards, leaving them high up on a slight incline that they eventually fall from.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I feel like you're really underselling the no-kill thing. "Leaving them near animal hazards" means essentially leaving anyone unconscious on the floor/ground for any length of time. It's really easy to just toss someone up on a table or something when you know about it but it's really easy to go through a whole ghost run of a level only to find out some dickholes died because they apparently didn't wake up when an army of rats was gnawing them to death and you get blamed for it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I haven't found that so far but I've played this game a bunch so I usually find a safeish elevation. Generally you only need to worry about rat swarms in my experience

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Horizon. Frozen Wilds. It has some of the best writing and the coolest environment in the game. Some of the skills it adds are very helpful. But all the machines it adds are the loving worst. Scorchers are way too fast, have extreme range, an aoe explosion, and dealing with more than one at once is a loving nightmare. Frostclaws are lovely tanks that take forever to kill and aren't fun to fight at all. I had barely any trouble with any of the hunting trials in the base game, but the dlc ones have absurdly tight time limits, and I had to crank the difficulty down to easy to be able to beat the 'Chieftan's Trial' at all. Also, wowee, making basically every single thing corrupted so you can't override anything is some poo poo too. Now I'm near the end, in a room filled with way too many machines (including 2 Scorchers) and tons of instant kill bottomless pits. Sure would be great if I could override anything, even a goddamn Watcher, to help me.

e: also the new weapons are all poo poo.

Olive! has a new favorite as of 03:18 on Dec 22, 2017

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

In Dying Light, why are the side quests so much better than the main story? Why did I care more about Tolga and Fatin's retardedness over the course of the main game and the following than any of the main characters I was supposed to feel bad for, despite seeing both for roughly the same amount of time?

I imagine its because the main story is dedicated to being a checklist cliche mess and the side quests are a break from that.

Doesn't help that some characters just disappear from the main story for no reason.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Everyone else was trying too hard to be cool or hard. Tolga and Fatin were my highlight of Dying Light, whenever those two would call I'd drop whatever I was doing and beeline it to get insulted again. I'm really glad they returned for The Following.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

0 rows returned posted:

In Dying Light, why are the side quests so much better than the main story? Why did I care more about Tolga and Fatin's retardedness over the course of the main game and the following than any of the main characters I was supposed to feel bad for, despite seeing both for roughly the same amount of time?

I imagine its because the main story is dedicated to being a checklist cliche mess and the side quests are a break from that.

Doesn't help that some characters just disappear from the main story for no reason.

It's a common problem in games, I think it's because they expect you to care about the main quest so don't do anything to actually make you care, while the opposite is true for side quest since there has to be a reason for you to not just skip them. Also sidequest are generally shorter so they aren't dragging on for 10 hours after they really should have been solved.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

John Murdoch posted:

What if that's actually what Ubisoft's real bathrooms are like and their inclusion is meant as a cry for help.

the meta for Black Flag is super meta so i wouldn't even be surprised

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hel posted:

It's a common problem in games, I think it's because they expect you to care about the main quest so don't do anything to actually make you care, while the opposite is true for side quest since there has to be a reason for you to not just skip them. Also sidequest are generally shorter so they aren't dragging on for 10 hours after they really should have been solved.
It's such an incredibly common problem that I don't know why they haven't started making games that are 100% side quest. No saving the world, no epic struggle, you're just trying to make the world a better (or worse) place, get paid, and make use of your unique skills.

Like, get rid of the ancient evil dragon in Skyrim trying to destroy the world. You've got a land of sword and sorcery on the brink of war, full of monsters to kill, ruins to explore, things to make, people to talk to, etc. Isn't that enough?

The best part of the Deus Ex games are the hub cities where you can do side quests for random people. The main plots of the Shadowrun games are the least interesting parts of them - why not just be a runner doing jobs to get paid? Why do you have to get dragged into some event of global significance?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Tiggum posted:

It's such an incredibly common problem that I don't know why they haven't started making games that are 100% side quest. No saving the world, no epic struggle, you're just trying to make the world a better (or worse) place, get paid, and make use of your unique skills.

Like, get rid of the ancient evil dragon in Skyrim trying to destroy the world. You've got a land of sword and sorcery on the brink of war, full of monsters to kill, ruins to explore, things to make, people to talk to, etc. Isn't that enough?

The best part of the Deus Ex games are the hub cities where you can do side quests for random people. The main plots of the Shadowrun games are the least interesting parts of them - why not just be a runner doing jobs to get paid? Why do you have to get dragged into some event of global significance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWSoYCetG6A

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
It would not surprise me in the least if the problem is because the main quest has to go through 1000 layers of executive approval and focus testing that suck all the joy and personality out of it while side quests are able to slip through the cracks with some of their author's voice still intact.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

New Butt Order posted:

It would not surprise me in the least if the problem is because the main quest has to go through 1000 layers of executive approval and focus testing that suck all the joy and personality out of it while side quests are able to slip through the cracks with some of their author's voice still intact.

Plus a side quest has to get all of its emotion and energy out in the ~20 minutes they last, while a main quest has to keep you edging for ~20 hours in order to feel "worth it."

Tiggum posted:

New Vegas felt a bit like this to me. The journey to New Vegas feels very much like an excuse to have you pass through and around a bunch of side questing areas, and once you finally make it there, it feels like there's about a hundred juggling balls in the air for you to manage if you're trying to fix anything or wreck anything; any 'main quest' has basically been subsumed in the general struggle of the inhabitants and all that's left is figuring out whose side you want to be on when it all comes crashing down.

I stopped playing basically after I hit New Vegas, though, so I don't know if that feeling is sustained once the questing there starts up.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It’s probably hard to tell a decent story when you’re stuck with 5 minute exposition scenes surrounded by hours of shooting stuff. The pacing in video games is pretty mch always hosed.

Also having to write story to fit around setpieces and technical limitations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah I really don't envy video game writers.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Aren't a lot of video game scripts 600-1,000 pages long? I think I read that somewhere, and I can't imagine all the padding you have to put into this story you want to write.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Leavemywife posted:

Aren't a lot of video game scripts 600-1,000 pages long? I think I read that somewhere, and I can't imagine all the padding you have to put into this story you want to write.

Makes sense when you think about ambient NPC chatter, vendor dialogue, and poo poo like that. I'm sure most of that gets shunted off to a B... C...team.

Well, some interns maybe.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

It’s probably hard to tell a decent story when you’re stuck with 5 minute exposition scenes surrounded by hours of shooting stuff.
Excuse you

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

The pacing in video games is pretty mch always hosed.

oh nvm :saddowns:

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

That's Hideo Kojima, written by Hideo Kojima, produced by Hideo Kojima, directed by Hideo Kojima and created by Hideo Kojima. He is wearing JF Rey Eyewear, also written by Hideo Kojima, produced by Hideo Kojima , directed by Hideo Kojima and created by Hideo Kojima. The video of Hideo Kojima was written by Hideo Kojima, produced by Hideo Kojima, directed by Hideo Kojima and created by Hideo Kojima.

This post was written by Hideo Kojima, produced by Hideo Kojima, directed by Hideo Kojima and created by Hideo Kojima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

My big thing is that I get mad if I hit "New Game" and I don't get to move a character for 5-10+ minutes. It's most common in Japanese games, but Western games do it, too. I'm at that point where I don't get as much time to play games as much as I used to and it's really annoying to launch a game, and by the time I get to handle a character I have to turn the game off and go to work.

Tiggum posted:

I was super into the original Assassin's Creed until they introduced the magic macguffin and the Templars vs. Assassins. I was just this thrall for an Assassin's guild, killing whoever my master said to, which was cool. I also always like Hitman games until they start throwing too much of the "someone's compromised the agency/47 again" storylines into things.

Plan Z has a new favorite as of 07:40 on Dec 23, 2017