Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I see a lot of people complaining about Super being slow-paced and it blows my mind. Like, I get why people might be annoyed by fights/episodes they see as inconsequential but it's not like they ever linger on anything at all, if anything they make potentially interesting moments seem pointless by rushing through them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I think it's more that we have to watch it weekly, so it gets frustrating when the show drags its feet. The original DBZ was like that but waaaaay worse though, and Buu Kai doesn't even seem cut down at all. The last ep they aired was literally about stalling for time.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Main Paineframe posted:

I think it's just a different focus in how the animation went. The Piccolo vs 17 fight, for example, was really good, but it's actually kind of slow-paced, focused a lot on building up tension to quick action shots while sprinkling in impact effects and destruction shots everywhere to hype up the hits. The manga influence is definitely visible. In Super, on the other hand, it feels like there's less of an emphasis on particular shots and more of keeping things moving more or less fluidly - either everyone's standing around doing nothing, or they're moving the entire time, with not much use of things like quick cut-ins to face shots.

This has its ups and its downs - for example, there's a lot less zwee-fighting and canned blurry-punch sequences in Super, and when they want to create a sense of super speed they often do a lot more for it than just having characters turn into a bunch of lines. On the other hand, there's fewer really iconic single frames, individual stuff often doesn't have as much impact, and there's more of a focus on what the characters' bodies are doing than what the characters themselves are doing. Take Vegeta vs Recoome, for example - basically every meaningful hit in that fight is immediately preceded by a shot of one or both characters' faces. For example, at 2:00 - they ineffectually punch at each other for a few seconds, then suddenly, a close-up shot of just Recoome raising his elbow! Then there's a quick cut to Vegeta's "oh poo poo" face! And only then does it actually dish out the hit, which gets a lot less emphasis compared to the smug face Recoome makes a couple seconds later. There's a lot less of that in Super, which can make it feel less impactful sometimes.

I wouldn't say it's necessarily "better" or "worse" - it's a different style directed by different people with a different creative pipeline, and some people prefer one or the other.

Speaking of Recoome, I always wondered what was he like in the original Japanese? Because he had some of the best lines in the old Ocean dub ("My name is Recoome! It rhymes with doom, and you will be hurting all too soon!"). I did not watch the Kai dub and the only point of reference I have is the Xenoverse games. On the one hand, it felt like they fell back onto 'dumb brusier' on him, which was disappointing, but on the other hand the Xenoverse games do not have the best voice direction so I am not sure if that is representative.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of Recoome, I always wondered what was he like in the original Japanese? Because he had some of the best lines in the old Ocean dub ("My name is Recoome! It rhymes with doom, and you will be hurting all too soon!")

Wait he actually said that in the real dub? I thought it was just TFS having fun making him an old school heel wrestler.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
If I had only watched the original show I would have hated DBZ. The pacing of the manga is so much better it's crazy.

I hear DBZ Kai fixed some of the issues but the original DBZ show is almost unwatchable. Even the rougher DB show had more dynamic fights.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 20, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Even Kai is badly paced. Frieza fight takes so loving long

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Renoistic posted:

If I had only watched the original show I would have hated DBZ. The pacing of the manga is so much better it's crazy.

I hear DBZ Kai fixed some of the issues but the original DBZ show is almost unwatchable. Even the rougher DB show had more dynamic fights.

being 10 years old helps

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think super is actually too fast paced. I want a big multi episode slugfest like the Saiyan saga

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Dragon Ball isn't an action show; it's a soap opera.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

IronicDongz posted:

Even Kai is badly paced. Frieza fight takes so loving long

To be absolutely fair, it takes forever in the manga as well :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrJmM_n73QY

Max's impressions of the near-final build.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Renoistic posted:

To be absolutely fair, it takes forever in the manga as well :v:
Well, yeah. I kinda think they're all bad.

But I love arc sys and I think dbz is a good fit for a tag team fighter which is why I'm here and excited for this game

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrJmM_n73QY

Max's impressions of the near-final build.

I couldn't possibly care less about someone's impression of this game than Max's

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the original dragon ball manga is pretty good though the initial search for the dragon balls and red ribbon stuff are kind of boring, the world martial arts tourneys and the piccolo stuff are all great. the saiyan saga is just straight up the best 'traditional' shonen arc ever. (yorknew and chimera ant in hxh are both better, but they also are really outside the norms of that kind of storytelling)

the first half of the frieza arc is fun and neat with the characters constantly moving around and switching allegiances and playing this threeway game of cat and mouse with the earthlings/vegeta/frieza's guys, but the frieza fight itself is kind of interminable. the cell arc is all over the place and relies on insane contrivances like vegeta undoing 3 years worth of character development just so the finale can happen and the hyperbolic time chamber even existing (think that would have been useful when we were training for the saiyans?) but gohan going super saiyan 2 is fun.

the buu saga is clearly just toriyama loving around for three years while he tries to convince his editors to just let him end the drat series, but hey, both fat buu and super buu are great villains.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in conclusion, arcsys should make a hunter x hunter fighting game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's also a whole bunch of sex and piss humor in the search for the DB arc that can be a bit offputting, but luckily it eases off pretty quickly once the series starts becoming more of an action series with comedy rather than a comedy series with action.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of Recoome, I always wondered what was he like in the original Japanese? Because he had some of the best lines in the old Ocean dub ("My name is Recoome! It rhymes with doom, and you will be hurting all too soon!"). I did not watch the Kai dub and the only point of reference I have is the Xenoverse games. On the one hand, it felt like they fell back onto 'dumb brusier' on him, which was disappointing, but on the other hand the Xenoverse games do not have the best voice direction so I am not sure if that is representative.

I don't think there's any incarnation or portrayal of the Ginyu Force that isn't goofy as hell, and if there is, it sucks and shouldn't exist

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

I would main Knuckle, his strategy is taking "keepaway" to the next level. His super does no damage and is just a cinematic of him talking and letting the debt counter rise.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

With all the neat animation stuff they're doing in this game, I'd be happy if they made a Darkstalkers game.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

That's never going to happen

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You don't think I know that?! Man can dream.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

What they really need to do is make the next Rival Schools game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

I would pay so much money for this game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TriffTshngo posted:

I would main Knuckle, his strategy is taking "keepaway" to the next level. His super does no damage and is just a cinematic of him talking and letting the debt counter rise.
i would main the dodgeball guy from greed island

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

roster:
gon
killua
kurapika
leorio
hisoka
illumi
biscuit
knuckle
morel
chrollo
feitan
uvogin
shizuku
machi
razor
genthru
mereum
nerferpitou
kite
netero
ging?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I can only accept a HxH fighting game if Kurapika is a 10-0 matchup against Phantom Troupe members.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TriffTshngo posted:

I can only accept a HxH fighting game if Kurapika is a 10-0 matchup against Phantom Troupe members.
kite could work like platinum in blazblue

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kindred Spirits on the Roof fighting game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

Kindred Spirits on the Roof fighting game
seina would be too powerful

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

With all the neat animation stuff they're doing in this game, I'd be happy if they made a Darkstalkers game.

after MVCI, do you really believe Capcom has the wherewithal to make something even a quarter as amazing as the aesthetics in any ArcSys game

If ArcSys is gonna steal anybody's IP it should be Bloody Roar or something, there's your Jon Talbain

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

roster:
gon
killua
kurapika
leorio
hisoka
illumi
biscuit
knuckle
morel
chrollo
feitan
uvogin
shizuku
machi
razor
genthru
mereum
nerferpitou
kite
netero
ging?

I dont see the guy whos only move was a wind-up punch :colbert:

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Waffleman_ posted:

While we're fantasizing, have them make MvC 2 part 2. Just pretend MvC:I never happened.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Speaking of super, is there a place to stream the dub? Hulu, Netflix, crunchy roll, or one of the thousand other streaming services?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zelder posted:

Speaking of super, is there a place to stream the dub? Hulu, Netflix, crunchy roll, or one of the thousand other streaming services?
It's on Funimation's site, I think.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Funi also has it on VRV, I believe.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

As long as we're wishing for things, I hope this game does well so Arc gets to make a full Shonen Jump Vs game with this game.

Joesph Joestar vs All Might vs Vegeta vs Luffy vs Kurapika with this Engine please

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Maybe we'll see a future DBZ x GG game since they're in the same engine.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I just want anyone other than CC2 to make Jojo games. They're excellent at fanservice, but like the making a good game part is where they stumble.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I posted my preferences before for the 8 dlc character but here's my prediction for what they actually will be, roughly in order of most to least likely:

Broly (seems almost guaranteed, popular and has a unique fighting style niche)
Vegito (seems very likely from popularity alone, wouldn't necessarily have a unique moveset but they want the dlc to make money and vegito would do it)
Kefla (only way I don't see kefla making it is if they decide to do caulfila and kale separately instead. A strong selection of moves and adds some female representation. I would love to see their rendition of the double christmas beam move. Bonus points if Goku has a finisher that involves kamehameha surfing it).
Bardock or Raditz (the design space for these characters don't seem too great but they are likely too popular to leave out. I doubt they would do both of them though due to the design space overlap, I would imagine Bardock is more likely than Raditz. However, if they actually do the rumored base form goku and vegeta (ugh...) then that makes them less likely I would think because at some point you would be filling a large amount of the dlc with similar characters and movesets).
Jiren (the only thing stopping Jiren is the realtive lack of fights and moves so far. Still, that just gives opportunity to be creative plus if Jiren was the last of the 8 to be designed, he will have probably had some more fights in the show by then anyways).
Master Roshi (seems much more likely due to his involvement in Super. Good opportunity for a creative moveset and style).
Kid Goku (the only OG or GT character I think has a serious shot to make it. Lots of opportunity for unique moves here, including a great ape transformation and fighting with a weapon).
Mr. Satan or Videl (Adapting these into the game might be difficult due to the lack of blasts, but it seems like an opportunity to make a grappling/throw character and it shouldn't be too hard to make happen. I doubt both would be added since they would veer to the same playstyle niche. Mr. Satan seems more likely because of popularity although Videl does allow an opportunity for one of the very few female characters).
Goku Ultra Instinct (I don't know how difficult it would be to incorporate the idea of UI into the game, but if they could make it work it they'd probably include it. Because of that, this should maybe be higher honestly).
Whis (I don't think it's too likely but the popularity and room for a unique play style is there)

Finally a list of characters that are possibilities but I'd consider to be a long-shot because they either aren't popular enough or are already represented in other ways (I could see some of these in a DBFZ 2 as a lot of them have unique attacks and play styles that could be explored...): Zarbon, Android 17, Dr. Gero, Dabura, Super Buu, Fused Zamasu, Toppo, Cooler, Janemba, SSJ4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund