Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

1. Samsung-Nokia sounds like a megacorp in a third-rate cyberpunk novel

2. Lots of Mongol memes.

3. Symbian gets a new lease on life and the Nokia N950 gets released for public consumption?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
perhaps the least interesting alternate universe possible

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

This thread is also open to other tech what-ifs. Samsung-Nokia still sounds like a cyberpunk name though.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Xerox invented the computer mouse and GUI Desktop and the engineers were laughed out of the room so they sold the tech specs to apple for practically nothing.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Wow dude. Way to throw me for a loving LOOP with that insane hypothetical. I can't even begin to explain the horrific anxiety, confusion, and fear caused by even beginning to approach an understanding of something so wild and outlandish as your suggestion, actually happening, in real life. I feel like you've opened the void into some sort of grotesque dystopia whose mere suggestion dramatically and fundamentally altered my outlook on reality. I have been gutturally shaken to my core.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Samsung Galaxy with Snake(tm)

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Stereotype posted:

Wow dude. Way to throw me for a loving LOOP with that insane hypothetical. I can't even begin to explain the horrific anxiety, confusion, and fear caused by even beginning to approach an understanding of something so wild and outlandish as your suggestion, actually happening, in real life. I feel like you've opened the void into some sort of grotesque dystopia whose mere suggestion dramatically and fundamentally altered my outlook on reality. I have been gutturally shaken to my core.

lol

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
touchwiz on a friendly brick of bright blue plastic

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Stereotype posted:

Carnac the Magnificent: What if Stereotype made a good post?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nokia were poo poo at producing software. Samsung are poo poo at producing software. They'd probably have tried to merge Meego into Tizen or something and they'd still be working on it today and it'd still be poo poo and something you only find shipped in two brands of Samsung TV sold in Kazakhstan or whatever.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
If Samsung had bought Nokia instead of Microsoft buying out, windows phones market share would be a lot smaller

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the darkest timeline

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the dankest tineline

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Oracle Business Machines, a division of Coca-Cola Pepsi Vending Services (formerly Texas State University)

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

echinopsis posted:

the dankest tineline

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i guess less people in finland would have lost their jobs

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
rip Finland they had a good run but the Nokia shut down. good things aren't meant to last

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

They should have stuck with their original business plan.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Hed posted:

Samsung Galaxy with Snake(tm)

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Maximum Leader posted:

rip Finland they had a good run but the Nokia shut down. good things aren't meant to last

I thought Skype was created by Finns but turns out the company was founded by Danes and the tech made by Estonians so maybe MS just likes to mess with Scandinavians and Balts in general lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Maximo Roboto posted:

I thought Skype was created by Finns but turns out the company was founded by Danes and the tech made by Estonians so maybe MS just likes to mess with Scandinavians and Balts in general lol

am I remembering correctly that microsoft bought skype from ebay who bought them for literally no good reason other than they had a bunch of cash lying around?

fake edit: some VCs bought 2/3 of skype off ebay

quote:

n September 2009,[13] Silver Lake, Andreessen Horowitz, and the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board announced the acquisition of 65% of Skype for $1.9 billion from eBay, which attributed to the enterprise a market value of $2.92 billion. Microsoft bought Skype in May 2011 for $8.5 billion.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Stereotype posted:

nice meltdown

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

What if Nikon had bought webOS from HP?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

this thread is reminding me how hilarious it would have been if microsoft had actually paid 44 billion dollars for yahoo back in 2006

qirex fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 21, 2017

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeRghYqi090&t=10s

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

qirex posted:

this thread is reminding me how hilarious it would have been if microsoft had actually paid 44 billion dollars for yahoo back in 2006

remember when yahoo! was valued at negative thirteen billion dollars cos its alibaba shares were so much more than the company's total valuation lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

It's a stick shift, and you can hear the gears changing with both of his hands on the wheel, and I can't tell what he's doing at the end with the shift lever.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

star trek (2009) is an abomination

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

akadajet posted:

It's a stick shift, and you can hear the gears changing with both of his hands on the wheel, and I can't tell what he's doing at the end with the shift lever.

its a movie

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

the engineering deck is clearly just a brewery and somehow running from the bridge to the transporter room is faster than taking the turbolift

it's dumb

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

also qo'nos is like a 20 mintue drive from earth in the 2nd jjtrek? also ricardo montalban was a way better khan. that chest :allears:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Stereotype posted:

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Sakia Sybian N950

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
jj trek 1 was p dece
jj trek 2 was p bad
trek and the furious was “ok”

H T H

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

jj trek 1 was p dece
jj trek 2 was p bad
trek and the furious was “ok”

H T H

i like the heaps of lens flare

i haven’t seen the movies but love lens flare

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
jjtrek1 was deece because it explained itself away from trek proper

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Last Chance posted:

its a movie

yeah, a really bad movie.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

J. J. Abrams basically made a really good "Death of Kirk's father" intro sequence and the rest of his two Trek movies were bleh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what if coca cola bought pepis

• Locked thread