Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Evil Fluffy posted:

Full burst is only ever triggered by the 3rd party member right? I really want to do it using someone like Rex not not have to manually control Nia or Tora to do so since their damage is garbage compared to his.

Nope, just whoever nails the Orb that pushes it into a Full Burst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I just pulled Perun a couple nights ago, sounds like I need to start using her.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The jiggle physics when Poppi QT attacks during a combo are hilarious.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
you can have Rex trigger the full burst but usually you have to intentionally gimp yourself and hit wrong orbs to do so. Tora can a pretty strong full burst if you're far enough in the plot.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

nerdz posted:

you can have Rex trigger the full burst but usually you have to intentionally gimp yourself and hit wrong orbs to do so. Tora can a pretty strong full burst if you're far enough in the plot.

Or just control someone else.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Full burst is only ever triggered by the 3rd party member right? I really want to do it using someone like Rex not not have to manually control Nia or Tora to do so since their damage is garbage compared to his.

Not necessarily. I think you need ten points, and in each round, you get 2 for the first orb you pop, 3 for the second, 4 for the fourth, and so on. You could pop three orbs in round 1 (with some specialized setups) and then get the last one with whoever in round two, I think, and there are all sorts of ways it could go if you take more than two rounds.

It's just that later in the game, by far the most common setup using Rex's special powers causes you to burst two orbs in each of the first two rounds, with the last one coming courtesy of your third party member.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I really like all the protagonists in this game. They're all just so precious, especially Rex, Nia, and Poppi :3:

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
Has premium cylinders been solved yet or is it still RNG, don't know how much more sleeping/resetting I can take.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

So, incredibly important story question. For the inn scene before the gang heads to Mor Ardain for the first time, was it Pyra who snuck in and changed to Mythra, or Mythra who snuck in herself?

Also Gramps and Dromarch are consistently a great pair.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

chumbler posted:

So, incredibly important story question. For the inn scene before the gang heads to Mor Ardain for the first time, was it Pyra who snuck in and changed to Mythra, or Mythra who snuck in herself?

Mythra sleepwalking

basically just dumb anime cliches

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zore posted:

Mythra sleepwalking

Well that's the cover story, at least. Also going all in on the dumb anime cliches is good.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zore posted:

Mythra sleepwalking

the conversation you have with Pyra in the morning certainly makes it seem like it could have been her messing with Mythra

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

chumbler posted:

Well that's the cover story, at least. Also going all in on the dumb anime cliches is good.

:hai:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I mean honestly I'm not a huge fan of Mythra since Nia fits that role way better.

And also she really doesn't have an arc or point. Pyra gets essentially all the plot and character development.

She just... exists to Deus Ex Machina a single fight and do a lot of Tsundere 'Its... not like I like you or anything!!!' comedy bits

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Most of her attacks are fine, except her level-1 special. That's a pole-dancing twirl and kick.

Wait what? For me she dashes forward and stabs the gently caress out of everything in front of her. It's really satisfying because a million numbers go flying out.

Also not that it matters until NG+ happens but who should get Theory? Fourth gets a water tank and I'm not sure who could actually use her even for funsies. There seems to be a overabundance of Ice/Water Blades. Like a fuckton for no good reason.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

You've missed something important in that scene;

Dromarch's adorable sleeping cap :allears:.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Zore posted:

I mean honestly I'm not a huge fan of Mythra since Nia fits that role way better.

And also she really doesn't have an arc or point. Pyra gets essentially all the plot and character development.

She just... exists to Deus Ex Machina a single fight and do a lot of Tsundere 'Its... not like I like you or anything!!!' comedy bits

Nia is there to to take the piss out of everyone.

ready gormotti

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zore posted:

and do a lot of Tsundere 'Its... not like I like you or anything!!!' comedy bits

That's why she exists.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

chumbler posted:

That's why she exists.

Nia already does it, and better. And they lose that fun dynamic when Mythra comes in :colbert:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wait what? For me she dashes forward and stabs the gently caress out of everything in front of her. It's really satisfying because a million numbers go flying out.

Also not that it matters until NG+ happens but who should get Theory? Fourth gets a water tank and I'm not sure who could actually use her even for funsies. There seems to be a overabundance of Ice/Water Blades. Like a fuckton for no good reason.

I'm on chapter 6 and don't have a single unique ice blade still

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

chumbler posted:

That's why she exists.

Also she's better than Pyra

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lessail posted:

Also she's better than Pyra

She doesn't do anything.

Honestly the character swap thing seems kind of pointless as Mythra has no real character outside of giving exposition.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tipme posted:

Has premium cylinders been solved yet or is it still RNG, don't know how much more sleeping/resetting I can take.
As far as I know it's still RNG :(

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Zore posted:

I kind of feel the same way about Pyra. Like if Mythra is a one-note cliche, Pyra is a blank character template. Denying the usual Jekyll and Hyde relationship could be an interesting twist but it's not set up beforehand and doesn't go anywhere afterwards. I'd also bring up the Oedipal undertones but after Xenogears I can't really complain about that.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

Microcline posted:

I kind of feel the same way about Pyra. Like if Mythra is a one-note cliche, Pyra is a blank character template. Denying the usual Jekyll and Hyde relationship could be an interesting twist but it's not set up beforehand and doesn't go anywhere afterwards. I'd also bring up the Oedipal undertones but after Xenogears I can't really complain about that.

If we're being frank about characters Nia is the only one who had an actual character arc, everyone else finished the story almost exactly as they started. I focus on character interactions in any game I play so it wasn't a huge deal for me but the only things that really change are how the characters interact with each other.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

CharlestheHammer posted:

She doesn't do anything.

Honestly the character swap thing seems kind of pointless as Mythra has no real character outside of giving exposition.

Neither of them do I just like recharge arts on crit a whole lot

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Microcline posted:

I wouldn't go that far. Pyra at least has some degree of character and enough backbone to go do stuff on her own rather than just follow Rex around if she thinks it's necessary. The only reason she tends to act submissive is because Rex is generally getting her where she wants to go, and she's scared of her own abilities (for good Titan-killing reasons). A lot of what Pyra does is based on the simple reason she really does not want a repeat of the Aegis War, and only breaks out Mythra and Siren because Malos forced her into a corner at the time. Not to mention the only time she really loses her sunny disposition is whenever the topic of Addam gets brought up, and they at least manage to sell how much that just outright hurts her because she'll just clam up and wait until she's alone before just breaking down for a couple of minutes so she can regain her composure.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Chaosfirev posted:

If we're being frank about characters Nia is the only one who had an actual character arc, everyone else finished the story almost exactly as they started. I focus on character interactions in any game I play so it wasn't a huge deal for me but the only things that really change are how the characters interact with each other.

I wouldn't classify it as a static/dynamic character thing. I love that Rex manages to answer every "deep" philosophical question in an internally consistent way with rhyming aphorisms about friendship, and how Zeke's heart-to-hearts gradually reveal that he's got a lot of wisdom and maturity under his goofball exterior.

Pyra/Mythra just feels like a waste of the deuteragonist slot compared to the other party members.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
It's also kinda interesting how some rare blade quests answer some questions about how blades work. Like in Vale's sidequest, she says that blades have some baseline memories, knowledge and personality at the moment they're bonded. So they don't really start like a blank slate, even though they forget everything after the bonding when the driver dies.

Edit: also everyone who has Kora and at least 12 girl's talk should do her sidequest, if only for one amazing pun and ending cutscene.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 21, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nerdz posted:

It's also kinda interesting how some rare blade quests answer some questions about how blades work. Like in Vale's sidequest, she says that blades have some baseline memories, knowledge and personality at the moment they're bonded. So they don't really start like a blank slate, even though they forget everything after the bonding when the driver dies.

To be fair, that one's a little obvious from the fact they know they're a Blade and that they've resonated with a Driver, how to stab/shoot/hit things, and a general personality leaning towards their individual preferences like BURNING JUSTICE!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Not entirely true

Finch doesn't remember poo poo. Finch is kind of a huge moron who rides her hammer like a pogo stick

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Not entirely true

Finch doesn't remember poo poo. Finch is kind of a huge moron who rides her hammer like a pogo stick

Finch is my friend who enjoys everything they do as if it were totally new.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 21, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What is the point of the one field skill thing on Theosir that makes you jump and then takes you to a ladder with another field check to jump again? There doesn't seem to be anything at the top, and the second field check requires like 6 leap and 6 earth mastery, so you'd think there'd be something worthwhile up there.

Invenerable posted:

Just don't even worry about breaking that score on any level but the first one. If you get all 3 medals (full health, all crystals, all chests), you'll get a big ol' bonus and easily make the 50k. You don't even have to get the pacifist medal.

Full health and all chests are doable if I'm lucky and do well, but how the gently caress do you get all crystals? I don't have enough time to run from side to side and collect them while also killing/dodging enemies, etc.

IcePhoenix posted:

I haven't but I will do it right now, just for you.

At 9 stamps you unlock a mission that gives you two stamps as a reward instead of one.
At 75 (:lol:) you get one that gives you three stamps

So 9 + 33 + 8 = 50 quests

...times three for 150 total just to get the stamps. There are other merc missions as well I believe for concerts and stuff.

But 1500 minutes of merc missions (I'm assuming that any time you save with field skills are cancelled out by the time between them finishing and you sending them back out again). For only the stamps. Which is 25 hours.

God help me I'm actually doing this, too. Currently at 15/15/13 :suicide:

I just unlocked the 3 stamp missions at 75. But I can't do one of them (it requires 3 electric and 3 ether cannons, which means you need at least one electric ether cannon, which I don't have) and another requires me include a party member I would prefer to use for combat.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 21, 2017

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

What is the point of the one field skill thing on Theosir that makes you jump and then takes you to a ladder with another field check to jump again? There doesn't seem to be anything at the top, and the second field check requires like 6 leap and 6 earth mastery, so you'd think there'd be something worthwhile up there.
There's something up there related to a very long and very involved late game side quest.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Just finished the game :toot:

The ending was interesting. The events leading up to it in the final chapter were not entirely what I expected. I figured that (ending spoilers) the Architect was going to be tied to Klaus and that incident, but not that it'd be Klaus. Let alone that it'd be part of him, with him being literally torn between dimensions and existing both in this world and the world of XC1.

That XC1's story also concluded at the same time as XC2's is the kind of :wtc: insanity that I should've expected since there wouldn't have been much else Monolith could've done to top XC1's endgame story insanity.

I also like that, among other things, it establishes that Alvis is an Aegis, and plays on his statements in XC1 about how he was a computer(?) from when Klaus rewrote/broke the universe. Also those non-Siren artifices reminded me of Metal Face a lot. The ending of XC2 also seems to confirm that the world of Alrest is, or was, Earth (or whatever homeworld humans were living on at the time) prior to the activation of the Conduit. I still think XCX is directly tied to XC1 and XC2 and it could still be a prequel, with the Conduit showing up over Mira centuries/millennia later when humans have fully claimed it as their own or something. :colbert:

Rating: :catdrugs: out of 10. Looking forward to seeing what the update with NG+ adds. At the very least it sounds like in NG+ you'll get to have the flesh eater blades as blades you can equip to your party which would be fun and hilariously broken as hell if so.

I'll say this about the final boss: I went in at level 70 and the only time I was ever at risk was when they used either of their giant gently caress You AOE attacks. Since one hit for 3.5-4k damage and the other, that I think they only ever use once, when the 2nd phase begins, hit Rex and Nia for over 6k damage and killed them outright. Thankfully I still had a full party gauge so Tora revived them both. Even when they summoned 2 adds I only had a minor scare with low HP that was quickly resolved. Plus you can driver combo all of them (though they have a lot of break resistance) which helps a ton. Ended the fight with a several million damage chain attack and killed them from something like 35-40% hp. :black101:

Chaosfirev posted:

More ending spoilers oh thank God happiness confirmed. Great game except for the mechanical issues, I honestly really enjoyed it. Also the new title screen is adorable.

Same.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Do they ever address why Nia's ears face backwards, especially when every other gormotti has them facing forward

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

In some cases I think so yes super-super-Pyra will put you in a state where it's hard not to full burst at the 3rd party member.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Do they ever address why Nia's ears face backwards, especially when every other gormotti has them facing forward

yes

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

Ytlaya posted:

Full health and all chests are doable if I'm lucky and do well, but how the gently caress do you get all crystals? I don't have enough time to run from side to side and collect them while also killing/dodging enemies, etc.

I kind of went in the opposite order. My first runs were focused on learning to grab all the crystals, then I added in killing and chests. Trying to do pacifist runs (and failing miserably) also acclimated me to moving all around as quickly as possible. Once I did get the 50k via the basic triple-crown one time, I transitioned to going only for chests/no-damage on later levels. Beyond that, all I can suggest is wait for easy mode or study some youtube videos of other people pulling it off. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Feels weird how the minigame is the only way to upgrade Poppi, like shes literally built from salvaged parts let you get little bits of ether from that or have merc missions to have your little dudes play the stupid game for you.