Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Nevets posted:

You guys do know that immediately giving all the 'emancipated' proles 8 weeks paid vacation, unlimited sick leave and a 50% wage increase is going to result in a massive loss of efficiency on the newly 'liberated' shipyards & factories right when we want them churning out our new Nebula pattern ships, right?

We actually have to deal with communism in the mechanics? Isn't it just flavor?

Plan 'Crabs first UT - later' is nice. We need to defeat the xenocidal aliens first.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

RA Rx posted:

We actually have to deal with communism in the mechanics? Isn't it just flavor?

Counter revolutionary sentiment detected

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

Nevets posted:

You guys do know that immediately giving all the 'emancipated' proles 8 weeks paid vacation, unlimited sick leave and a 50% wage increase is going to result in a massive loss of efficiency on the newly 'liberated' shipyards & factories right when we want them churning out our new Nebula pattern ships, right?

That's just not how workers or people in general work. Especially if they're working for themselves instead of the IC bossman.

They're not going to be cheaper but they're sure as hell going to be more efficient than slave or serf labor.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Saros posted:

Anyone can make a proposal, the format is open ended but please include details on the following if relevant:
  • The project name.
  • Any external co-operation it would require.
  • Who to inform about it.
  • If it involves new units you may provide designs or just a brief and I will make them. Skunkworks file for designs.
  • A clear endpoint or goal, what are you trying to accomplish with this project?

I will collect the proposals, there will be a vote and the most popular will be implemented. Timeframe is loose but try submit by Saturday morning.

Saros posted:

Collaboration fusion drives retrieved from Ranginui V are the subject of intense study on Mars and the project head is quoted as stating partial replication and prototyping is “months, not years” away.
Q1: For the skunkworkin, can we see the stats on components salvaged from crabwrecks and Rangi? (what performance we would get if we used/copied the reverse-engineered parts? and/or what technologies will be available to design new ones?)
Q2: We know in the thread, but in-universe have TFS informed Mars about Speedy and Planet of the Crabs?
Q3: ...and the fact TFS probably discovered/claimed an unspecified number of worlds on the other side of Moutere/Galileo?
Q4: How much about crabs is publicly known? (attempts to communicate, how nonsensical their actions are, their being engineered cyborgs with suicide bomb implants, how they appear to be pawns of a bigger+badder enemy, etc.)

Pharnakes posted:

I like this plan a lot, all or nothing but gently caress it guys lets roll the dice.
Yeah Jack2142's version sounds more coherent/sane than mine. Though I would add the modifications:

1j: since a number of super-secret plots are likely to be exposed, Senator Harris is preemptively disavowed and goes on the Most Wanted list as a 'traitor against humanity' (...he already has his own little fiefdom and is effectively immune to prosecution, being an unperson just gives him more room to maneuver and more deniability.)

edit to rephrase this: part 2 needs to be defined a bit more clearly to call it a plan and we'll need to do a lot of prep work before the conference to minimize the chaos/wars

Whether or not Plan Dominion2.0 happens we need to deal with IC sometime soon, which will require solving a number of problems:
  • IC's position as a sovereign entity is unsustainable, and whatever power they once had is waning. Status quo appears to be increasingly unstable and sooner or later it will most likely collapse so it is in the interest of the people (and Mars, as champions of All The Proletarians) to ensure that they be liberated from oppression and unfair exploitation.
  • The only way the triumvirs would accept a deal is if there is some secret agreement to give them (what they see as) a huge advantage that lets them laugh at the foolish plebs.
  • The only way they would agree to give up power is if Mars is unable to betray them, by putting them under UT's protection. Whether that protection is enough to keep them alive depends on how well they pay their bodyguards.
  • UT won't just idly watch (especially since they own a lot of IC stock) so if they're gonna get their slice of IC either way, we might as well stick them with the expensive liability.
  • Liability because Mars acting 100% in good faith still doesn't mean that those assholes are safe, so they're basically going to want a stealth PDC with blackjack and Heavy Assault Infantry.
  • The only way Mars can (publicly) accept a deal is if the triumvirs agree to stand trial for their crimes (probably located on Terra/Luna) and pay for damages to Mars, TFS, and their former subjects.
  • Even if Mars+UT fake the triumvirs' deaths at the hands of (bogus) Martian/TFS Extremists, nothing prevents (real) Plusminus Patriots Radicals from guessing what actually happened and using evidence+logic+etc to hunt them down in their comet chateau.
  • In effect what we're going for is a trade, Triumvirs might be grudgingly permitted to continue not-dying-in-horrible-agony, Terrans will claim everything they can grab and we'll have to compromise/appease them, and on behalf of the people living there (whatever they call themselves) and Mars will take semi-temporary guardianship of IC colonies on Ganymede/Callisto/elsewhere while the people get some time to get used to the idea of not living in slavery/serfdom by a different name.
  • Ideally we'll be actually liberating them and they can choose to join the Martian Colonial Federation or remain independent. Realistically? Who knows.

Plan "Bury the Hatchet In a Mountain of Dead Capitalists"
0. This probably won't happen until the Jovian people are ready to fight for independence, with Martian and Titanian fleets repaired and on standby to prevent missile-related atrocities.
1. Negotiate with IC+UT about the disposal disposition of the triumvirs, and how IC's assets are allocated afterward. This may be a discussion primarily between the great powers, but TFS and some representatives of IC's workers/citizens also get a seat at the table.
2. We'll more-or-less have to promise to let the triumvirs escape into anonymous exile on a private moon/continent, except...
3. It really doesn't matter what we do with them because the SB/illuminati bullshit still exists, and since Mars' foreign policy is basically as Crazycryodude summed it up "a Martian is the best ally you could ever ask for, but god help you if you make an enemy of them." we don't double-cross them. But we also do not give them a free pass and backstab TFS in the process. So they'll end up escaping or assassinated or... There's a slim chance, but Saros might not pick the "maximum audience trolling" ending option.

Outcomes of the negotiations are TBD but 4-7 are likely possibilities to consider:
4. Terra already has way more population and industry and shipyards, while fuel/minerals are their strategic weakpoint and they don't need any more dissatisfied colonies to manage with their current political climate and scattered empire, so in exchange for letting UT take a big share of TNE resources and fuel reserves/refineries/harvesters we can probably get pretty much everything else and liberate all of IC's workers.
5. ...and at least a couple of moons , this time for sure. :argh:
6. UT+Mars equally get the all the tech IC has.
7. During the transition of power when laws/enforcement are functionally nonexistent, if IC's corporate/political structure undergoes some reorganization that results in a lot of former police/gestapo and managers going missing, well that's just unfortunate for them. (Maybe they should have chosen a career other than as professional thugs and/or cracking the whip for quarterly bonuses.)

Nevets posted:

May be factually true, but it would be advisable to watch where you say that out loud. What kind of Martian tolerates injustice in the name of economic convenience?

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 21, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Saros posted:

Titan has a few defences left over from the IC war and a pair of new cruiser sized missile PDC's. Ranginui V has a single 7000t missile PDC built using leftover oldfleet tech. Fixed defenses have not been a priority.

It's time to submit formal proposals for your plot. As I said before it is fairly open ended and can be political, diplomatic, economic, military or whatever you choose.

Anyone can make a proposal, the format is open ended but please include details on the following if relevant:
  • The project name.
  • Any external co-operation it would require.
  • Who to inform about it.
  • If it involves new units you may provide designs or just a brief and I will make them. Skunkworks file for designs.
  • A clear endpoint or goal, what are you trying to accomplish with this project?

I will collect the proposals, there will be a vote and the most popular will be implemented. Timeframe is loose but try submit by Saturday morning.

Space Fortress Phobos II
Ladies and greasy goons, I present to you plans for a orbital weapons platform so powerful that calling it a mere battle station does not do it justice.

Armed with 50 twin turrets each of Gauss and 15cm Lasers capable of tracking any human vessel and even the fartcrab missiles, The Phobos II Space Fortress is a veritable death blossom. In addition to the heaviest beam armament ever envisioned she also bristles with 200 ASM launchers and a design loadout sufficient for 50 salvos. A staggering 10 thousand ship killing missiles.

Interspersed between her primary armament another 100 ASM launchers actively seek out and pre-emptively destroy any incoming fire. With magazines carrying more than 32 thousand ASMs, her defensively are virtually impossible to saturate. Furthermore, she's built far more robustly than any 20th century tank. With 60 layers of ceramic composite armor backing up 100 of Mars' finest shield generators, she is unsinkable.

No mere orbital platform, the Phobos II would be capable of traveling at a blistering 1490 km/s. Admittedly far slower than any of our new fleet ships, but still much faster than any human dreamed of going prior to this century. Her one, small, flaw is that our existing Jump Drive Efficiency does not permit us to build a jump drive capable of transferring her through a JP. However, she can easily traverse our gate network and is so monstrously powerful that we could comfortably fortify a JP with one while a gate constructor worked.

Oh, and did I mention that this marvel of engineering can be built solely using our ground based construction capacity leaving our shipyards free for other work.

Edit: I forgot to mention the two full brigades of Marines!

Who to inform: Everyone. It's not exactly subtle.
Designs: Sample design specs are below using the old skunkworks save. Feel free to replace any of my custom designs with existing components.
Goal: Be ludicrously awesome. An unconventional answer to assaulting JPs.

Phobos II posted:

Replacement Moon class Space Fortress 2 000 000 tons 49985 Crew 287906.0001 BP TCS 40000 TH 59616 EM 7500
1490 km/s Armour 60-1414 Shields 250-300 Sensors 1/1/0/0 Damage Control Rating 7746 PPV 2156
Maint Life 18.34 Years MSP 779024 AFR 4240% IFR 58.9% 1YR 4390 5YR 65851 Max Repair 248.4 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 120 months Spare Berths 0
Cryo Drop Capacity: 10 Battalions Magazine 72400 Habitation Capacity 50 000

LR Outsystem Large 496.8 EP Ion Drive (120) Power 496.8 Fuel Use 54.46% Signature 496.8 Exp 11%
Fuel Capacity 110 000 000 Litres Range 18.2 billion km (141 days at full power)
standard Delta R300/360 Shields (100) Total Fuel Cost 1 500 Litres per hour (36 000 per day)

Twin standard 15cm C3 Far Ultraviolet Laser 15k tracking Turret (50x2) Range 300 000km TS: 15000 km/s Power 12-6 RM 5 ROF 10 6 6 6 6 6 5 4 3 3 3
Twin standard Gauss Cannon R3-100 40k tracking speed Turret (50x6) Range 30 000km TS: 40000 km/s Power 0-0 RM 3 ROF 5 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Mao-Kowalski Fire Control S02 160-5000 (5) Max Range: 320 000 km TS: 5000 km/s 97 94 91 88 84 81 78 75 72 69
Safe Gas-Cooled Fast Reactor Technology PB-1 (100) Total Power Output 315 Armour 0 Exp 5%

Size 1 Missile Launcher (100) Missile Size 1 Rate of Fire 10
Bigelow Size 4 Missile Launcher (75% Reduction) (200) Missile Size 4 Rate of Fire 80
AMM Missile Fire Control FC17-R1 (5) Range 17.6m km Resolution 1
Communism Missile Fire Control FC110-R80 (5) Range 110.4m km Resolution 80
Terror Anti-ship Missile (10120) Speed: 24 400 km/s End: 69.6m Range: 101.9m km WH: 5 Size: 3.93 TH: 154/92/46
Size 1 Anti-missile Missile (32628) Speed: 24 000 km/s End: 2.7m Range: 3.9m km WH: 2 Size: 1 TH: 128/76/38

Fundamental Active Search Sensor MR102-R60 (5) GPS 5670 Range 102.5m km Resolution 60

ECCM-2 (2) ECM 20

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

LLSix fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 21, 2017

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Can we even build that? I could never build a massive orbital fort due to maintenance limitations.

Or is that actually a PDC?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
With an 18 year maintenance lifecycle we might be able to build our maintenance facilities up to where they could service it. To service a 2mil ton ship we'd need 10,000 maintenance facilities, requiring a total of 1.5mil BP's, which is 5 times as many as the ship itself. So if we could build it in 3 years or less, we could build up our maintenance facilities over the next 15 years to the point where they could service it before it fell apart.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Added Space posted:

Can we even build that? I could never build a massive orbital fort due to maintenance limitations.

Or is that actually a PDC?

It is not a PDC. 20 extra layers of free armor would be hilarious.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
That is the sort of thing we want to outsource to ex-IC construction workers. Moderate amounts of technology, useful, easy to see coming, needs lots of crew. Press gang those pesky reactionaries into the crew and we have solved two problems. And the new problems that would pop up would be amusing...

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Don’t really know/participate enough to effectively submit a proposal, though to my personal horror chagrin I find myself leaning towards Jack’s Dominon of Sol V2 plan. It just sounds so perfect and rational that I have to keep reminding myself that this guy is a part of the “muh plus-slash-minus fanatics” crowd.

Dammit, now I’m kicking myself because I didn’t think of it first!

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Anta posted:

That's just not how workers or people in general work. Especially if they're working for themselves instead of the IC bossman.

They're not going to be cheaper but they're sure as hell going to be more efficient than slave or serf labor.

There's a pretty vast gap of alternatives between the inefficiencies of slavery and serfdom and optimizing for welfare, which isn't the same as optimizing for efficiency, even though the two greatly overlap.
Technological unemployment has started to become a real thing since the 1970s, reducing the number of workers. Bring on the UBI or we may soon live in interesting times.

Returning to the topic at hand, the IC does not have any MAD right? Because if I were them I'd have been working on that after losing the last war. Might want to make sure before we go wallop them. Can't see the Terrans refusing us, after saving their asses, as long as they get a small portion of the proceeds.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 21, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

HereticMIND posted:

Don’t really know/participate enough to effectively submit a proposal, though to my personal horror chagrin I find myself leaning towards Jack’s Dominon of Sol V2 plan. It just sounds so perfect and rational that I have to keep reminding myself that this guy is a part of the “muh plus-slash-minus fanatics” crowd.

Mwhahahahahha

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

HereticMIND posted:

It does manage to occupy that sweet-spot between "legit planning" and "crazy enough to work" that truly embodies the Martian Way.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Torpedoing Terra's political system may have political consequences that are harder to predict than space battles.
Chaos is the most likely result. In the middle of a war with technologically superior aliens.

We should just cash in our chips and take out the IC. It's an easy, predictable gain. We should use our massive leverage to ensure we get the great majority of their assets. Other that that we have to focus on the fartcrabs.

Saros said the plan was too broad, probably we could cut it down and do it in portions - but do we really want to?
It's risky and the hoped for consequences seem wishful. The whole part of going from 'Reveal Secrets, Embaress Government' to 'Unification Talks' is incredibly vague.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 21, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

RA Rx posted:

Torpedoing Terra's political system may have political consequences that are harder to predict than space battles.
Chaos is the most likely result. In the middle of a war with technologically superior aliens.

We should just cash in our chips and take out the IC. It's an easy, predictable gain. We should use our massive leverage to ensure we get the great majority of their assets. Other that that we have to focus on the fartcrabs.

Saros said the plan was too broad, probably we could cut it down and do it in portions - but do we really want to?
It's risky and the hoped for consequences seem wishful. The whole part of going from 'Reveal Secrets, Embaress Government' to 'Unification Talks' is incredibly vague.

I think he was commenting the original plan which honestly was actually incredibly different than this one.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

LLSix posted:

Space Fortress Phobos II

Any chance of mounting a ludicrously sized spinal laserThor's Hammer on it?

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Maximum Acceleration

Gain even more leverage by offering Putina a full military and technological alliance in return for the complete annexation of IC remnants by Mars, and open emigration to Mars.
Part of this agreement would involve a census of Terrans who sympathize with and wish to immigrate to Mars, and a legally binding agreement that we receive every person who's signed on.

We get population, the rest of the IC, and humanity gets maximum military cooperation (during a time of existential crisis) and technological advancement.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 21, 2017

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
The Dominion of Sol v2 plan sounds a good idea, but I would like to not work with Earth First as they seem isolationist (which is an utter anathema to this plan) and probably not very pro Mars at all.

Maybe it's worth checking specifically, are the faction called "Earth First" a friendly, internationalist group who just want to restore earth's environment, or are they hardline isolationists and racists?

Oh, and obviously build the Phobos II.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Actually I agree

@ Saros what other views do the Earth First guys have because if they are irredeemable shitheads/nazi's/etc. then we probably shouldn't work with them.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Jack2142 posted:

Actually I agree

@ Saros what other views do the Earth First guys have because if they are irredeemable shitheads/nazi's/etc. then we probably shouldn't work with them.

You'll never get anywhere in politics with that sort of attitude.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

mossyfisk posted:

Sounds like collaborator talk to me, Mossyfisk.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

mossyfisk posted:

Didn't know you posted here, Mr. Kissinger.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

Sure.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Z the IVth posted:

This guy Space Prussias.

But related to that massive 2mil ton Battle Moon, I'd personally put CIWS instead of Gauss on the station just so it will even work with jump blindness as CIWS doesn't require target lock it just always fires on incoming missiles which would make it more useful for forcing a JP.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
You know, before we start planning to destroy the UT's government we should probably check what we actually know about it. Basically stuff like what the political leader's current stances are and their disposition towards us and such. Maybe I am just being a bit slow/have overlooked it but it might be nice if we figured out how much of a potential threat, if any, their current government is before we decide if we want to break it up. I know people like to post that the UT government is a bunch of horrible monsters just waiting for an advantage over us to destroy us and take over, but those are also the ones that are eager to wait for an advantage to try and take over UT themselves.

I am not saying that we should treat them like complete allies and trust them 100%, just maybe we should think about what we actually know about them instead of making assumptions.

Also, we totally need a Battle Moon.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Sooooo, full disclosure. This was supposed to be finished days ago, but a dentist's ravaging appointment knocked the writing wind out of me while the battle for Nova Sol was current. But! With permission from Saros, it's time to see what was going on with a certain Commander with the cruisers at the Pit while the battle was hot...

---

Meanwhile, on the bridge of the Resolution-class CJ Vedette.

Commander Serpentis ran through the duty rosters for the next day’s shifts, again, chair turned slightly away from the rest of the crew. For the … well, it had to be fifth or six time in the shift, by this point. He practically could recite it without notes by now. Like the shield generator part replacement schedule, another invitation to yet another wind-blasted dome committee back home he ‘sadly’ must miss due to duty, and five more requests from the Mars state media channels for comment that had rolled in since first contact had gone down; all he’d already read, filled out, and fired off in triplicate as needed. Parked up and waiting for news from Nova Sol, there wasn’t much immediate else to do but read and wait. But! It’d be negligent to do nothing for the Navy and Mars in idle hours. Hells, that’d be the case on a normal day. With all the madness of the Pit on the one hand, and the mad dash for Nova Sol to observe on the other, this was anything but normal. And here he was, sitting in a system full of yet more aliens, these distinctly monstrous in nature… shepherding what was essentially a non-combat vessel while the pride of the fleet burned to Nova Sol or directly battled the foe in system. He tutted to himself as he signed off on another page, and muttered something profane about his luck. Cutting-edge, unquestionably, the Vedette, and a damned good and useful ship. Just … not the most glorious posting.

The moment of irritation passed. Almost right away, he chastised himself; what a selfish reaction that was! Yes, he could not help Mars fight these aliens with missiles or beams, but he could do it with planning and proud words, backed with zeal and conviction. In short; proper preparation. And preparation for dealing with this new threat was vital. He’d pored over the combat data from those ships blessed enough to engage the enemy from the Pit; well, ‘crabs’, as the ratings were calling them. He certainly could see why; there was an undeniable physical resemblance from the autopsy report, after all. But was there something more to it than that? Was there a fel design in their unnatural movement, their vicious clawing attitude to combat, that was a clue to their intentions? Behind his hand, he frowned. Maybe he was overthinking it… Or maybe they were so alien, so unnatural, that they deserved such analysis of their foul nature, as well as their looks? …or were they just like humans in mind, if not in body?

He was regretting the joke about ‘butter and garlic bread for a victory grill’ he’d put in the last comms back to Mars after learning of the resemblance, though. That his XO had found it hilarious, so much so she’d passed it on to other officers, who naturally leaked it to their sections, meant that the next ship-scale requisition form he had to fill in was a surreal experience. Expectations to meet and morale to keep, and all that. Whatever the hells the requisition officers back with Supply were thinking about him now would be another matter entirely. The Commander smiled at the thought of the XO wearing a chef’s hat, grilling alien, briefly coming into his mind on the winds, before swatting it down and going back to the display. Focus in all things. Last page. Holden and his team last rotation, sensor ops… yes, all well there. He signed off on it with a forefinger tapping out the commands, before turning his chair back towards the bridge’s front. He leaned back and waved away the roster, and was about to pull up another simulated battle plan for if the crabs got close to the jump cruisers, when he hissed quietly as the familiar fang of pain slid into the back of his head and his vision blurred slightly.

Irony was, despite all his personal preparations, all the coffee stops, painkillers and walks about the ship to ‘take a break’ as the doctor had recommended… yes, there was that damned migraine coming on again. No medical rhyme or reason as the doc had seen it; she had chalked it up to “bad luck, or stress”. The once, he’d have agreed with. Twice? A jumping problem, he’d have guessed, as much fun as that would be to report. But now, on a third time since the squadron had arrived in the Pit and stayed there… not the most portentous omen. Still. He at least knew how to salve his soul, even if the mind was still a bit fraught. And he could make the time. “XO, sign the roster off when you’re done, and post it. You have the bridge. And if you still want to ram the next crab ship that pops up face-first, you’ve my permission, but ping me a warning, would you be so kind?” A snort and an “Aye, Commander” were all he heard from her as he stepped off the bridge and back to the nearest lift. Back to his quarters. And solitude, temporarily.

---

The door slid closed behind him, and the lock engaged a moment later. The commander sighed, and tossed his hat onto his desk, running a hand through his hair. He stepped into the washroom to clean his hands, sighing as he caught a glimpse of the tell-tale start of bags under his eyes in the mirror. Maybe he should see the doctor on the way back. See if there was something to the stress diagnosis after all. But not now.

He stepped into the washroom, filled up the sink, and after dousing his hand, took off his jacket and rummaged about in the inside pocket. He reached under the sink, behind a loose panel, drew out the bottle of red dusty sand from home, and tapped out a small amount onto his forefinger. Slowly, he began to trace out the curved patterns on his chest. Ah, for a proper place to conduct the rite, he thought to himself as he hummed a tune and moved past the second crest. Well, he didn’t have that luxury, now did he? Mars would hear his plea, no matter how far he was from her.

The cabin was silent for a few minutes more as he continued, thin rising and falling lines in red starting to dance across his torso, with the occasional pause for more sand and water. But as he moved to place the last sign, the rounded rune of Mars above his heart, he paused. He realised he’d let his zeal get ahead of him again, and not thought out what he was going to actually say. He weighed up the risk for a moment. Here, at least, he could close the bathroom door in a pinch, but his personal prayer-holo was in the main room desk, and if one of the officers came in with urgent news while he was preparing in there and reading … Hm. Best not to chance it. He tutted at his own recklessness before taking a breath. Perhaps a classic would serve in times like these.

“O Martis, hallowed be thy dunes,
Guard my soul as darkness yet looms;
In the name of the Saints, let red light dawn,
Over lands far from your grace and forsworn;
Yet as blessed Saffiya prais’d your name,
Let your truths be known across Sol once again.”

He’d just about managed to get halfway through “Amen” before he heard a knock at the door. His lunge for the close button on the washroom door might have been the fastest he’d made a grab for something since the first “relaxed Friday night” he’d been a part of in the officer’s barracks. The washroom door hissed closed as he heard the internal room comm fire up. “Commander? Sorry to interrupt your shut-eye, but news from Nova Sol. Urgent. You’re wanted on the bridge.” He managed to stifle a groan. How was it always MacTavish with the bad timing on this ship…?

“Understood, LT, I’ll be there in three.” He waited for a second for the lieutenant to kill the call and leave before quietly tapping out the rune of Mars with an “Amen.” Two minutes later, he’d cleaned himself and was back in uniform, moving back towards the bridge to hear the news…

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
If we can't absorb UT peacefully, and aren't willing to risk the hellwar of conquering them, we should think about which version of the UT is the least threatening to our ambitions.

I think the answer is to work to keep a weak Putina in power, desperately balancing the factions of UT. Why? Think of any of the major factions taking power, and the risks it would pose. A victory by the hardliners would mean an immediate return to the sort of bullshit bullying we were dealing with with papa Putin. So we certainly don't want that. The reformers are ultimately just as dangerous though--if they're successful in remaking the UT, that means that even if in the short term we get along, we'll be stuck with the UT more or less forever. They could be partners, or they could surpass us. Finally, we have no clue about the earth first crowd. I'm basically imagining that they're less a unified movement and more a constellation of disparate tendencies, grouping neo-fascists and hippies together in the demand that resources are concentrated on earth. If they seized leadership, we have no clue how they would govern in practice, and which tendencies would win out. Still, we would benefit from them having a strong voice, because a reallocation of UT attention to the home front would limit their ability to keep up with us.

Thus I propose Plan Kerensky

1) Our formal stance will be that Putina needs to retain control. We will work with her on common defense vs xenos, and try to build institutions to foster general cooperation among the various polities of Sol. These institutions will be as weak as they need to be to get everyone to buy in, but they'll give us a forum and they'll lay the groundwork for the future. Less space-EU, more space-UN.
2) Informally, our goal is to keep Putina in power not by the virtue her own success, but by the virtue of her weakness. Her reform faction should be strong enough to deliver incremental improvements and keep the population engaged, but not strong enough to rule alone. The earth firsters should be strong enough that Putina needs to spend serious resources to keep them in line, but not so strong as seize power themselves. Same for the hardliners- powerful, but not powerful enough to rule by themselves. Both the hardliners and the earthfirsters should hate her, but see her as the only bulwark against their enemies seizing total control.
2a) To achieve this, we will need to use all our tools. Some of this will be done via our intelligence services--spreading information and misinformation, leaking sensitive data, and otherwise subtly intervening to boost who we need to boost in that moment, and cut down who we need to cut down. We can also use our diplomacy to these ends- when Putina needs a win, we find one for her, and when a faction needs a public opinion boost we do what we can to spark one.
3) If successful, this plan would slowly rot the UT. It won't collapse tomorrow, but it'll pour resources into fixing the rainforests instead of claiming systems. Their navy will be designed to appease hawks and filled with cronies, not a fighting force to win wars. The government will be nominally stable, but will never be dynamic or strong. Basically the USSR in the 70s and 80s.
4) Super-long term, we use the power differential that will develop to slowly minimize their influence, and start turning those weak institutions into strong ones dominated by us.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Im going to back any motion that isn't some insane power grab in the midst of a threat from a more powerful alien civilisation.

I would really like us to dip out toes in the terraforming business.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Affi posted:

Im going to back any motion that isn't some insane power grab in the midst of a threat from a more powerful alien civilisation.

I would really like us to dip out toes in the terraforming business.

We've been terraforming Mars since before the thread started, does that count?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I think instead of messing around with Terran politics, where we are both strategic rivals to their government but also need them for common defence against aliens, we focus on internal development and terraforming. Remember that the bulk of our power and economy come from Mars itself.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Serpentis posted:

Sooooo, full disclosure. This was supposed to be finished days ago, but a dentist's ravaging appointment knocked the writing wind out of me while the battle for Nova Sol was current. But! With permission from Saros, it's time to see what was going on with a certain Commander with the cruisers at the Pit while the battle was hot...

---

Meanwhile, on the bridge of the Resolution-class CJ Vedette.

Commander Serpentis ran through the duty rosters for the next day’s shifts, again, chair turned slightly away from the rest of the crew. For the … well, it had to be fifth or six time in the shift, by this point. He practically could recite it without notes by now. Like the shield generator part replacement schedule, another invitation to yet another wind-blasted dome committee back home he ‘sadly’ must miss due to duty, and five more requests from the Mars state media channels for comment that had rolled in since first contact had gone down; all he’d already read, filled out, and fired off in triplicate as needed. Parked up and waiting for news from Nova Sol, there wasn’t much immediate else to do but read and wait. But! It’d be negligent to do nothing for the Navy and Mars in idle hours. Hells, that’d be the case on a normal day. With all the madness of the Pit on the one hand, and the mad dash for Nova Sol to observe on the other, this was anything but normal. And here he was, sitting in a system full of yet more aliens, these distinctly monstrous in nature… shepherding what was essentially a non-combat vessel while the pride of the fleet burned to Nova Sol or directly battled the foe in system. He tutted to himself as he signed off on another page, and muttered something profane about his luck. Cutting-edge, unquestionably, the Vedette, and a damned good and useful ship. Just … not the most glorious posting.

The moment of irritation passed. Almost right away, he chastised himself; what a selfish reaction that was! Yes, he could not help Mars fight these aliens with missiles or beams, but he could do it with planning and proud words, backed with zeal and conviction. In short; proper preparation. And preparation for dealing with this new threat was vital. He’d pored over the combat data from those ships blessed enough to engage the enemy from the Pit; well, ‘crabs’, as the ratings were calling them. He certainly could see why; there was an undeniable physical resemblance from the autopsy report, after all. But was there something more to it than that? Was there a fel design in their unnatural movement, their vicious clawing attitude to combat, that was a clue to their intentions? Behind his hand, he frowned. Maybe he was overthinking it… Or maybe they were so alien, so unnatural, that they deserved such analysis of their foul nature, as well as their looks? …or were they just like humans in mind, if not in body?

He was regretting the joke about ‘butter and garlic bread for a victory grill’ he’d put in the last comms back to Mars after learning of the resemblance, though. That his XO had found it hilarious, so much so she’d passed it on to other officers, who naturally leaked it to their sections, meant that the next ship-scale requisition form he had to fill in was a surreal experience. Expectations to meet and morale to keep, and all that. Whatever the hells the requisition officers back with Supply were thinking about him now would be another matter entirely. The Commander smiled at the thought of the XO wearing a chef’s hat, grilling alien, briefly coming into his mind on the winds, before swatting it down and going back to the display. Focus in all things. Last page. Holden and his team last rotation, sensor ops… yes, all well there. He signed off on it with a forefinger tapping out the commands, before turning his chair back towards the bridge’s front. He leaned back and waved away the roster, and was about to pull up another simulated battle plan for if the crabs got close to the jump cruisers, when he hissed quietly as the familiar fang of pain slid into the back of his head and his vision blurred slightly.

Irony was, despite all his personal preparations, all the coffee stops, painkillers and walks about the ship to ‘take a break’ as the doctor had recommended… yes, there was that damned migraine coming on again. No medical rhyme or reason as the doc had seen it; she had chalked it up to “bad luck, or stress”. The once, he’d have agreed with. Twice? A jumping problem, he’d have guessed, as much fun as that would be to report. But now, on a third time since the squadron had arrived in the Pit and stayed there… not the most portentous omen. Still. He at least knew how to salve his soul, even if the mind was still a bit fraught. And he could make the time. “XO, sign the roster off when you’re done, and post it. You have the bridge. And if you still want to ram the next crab ship that pops up face-first, you’ve my permission, but ping me a warning, would you be so kind?” A snort and an “Aye, Commander” were all he heard from her as he stepped off the bridge and back to the nearest lift. Back to his quarters. And solitude, temporarily.

---

The door slid closed behind him, and the lock engaged a moment later. The commander sighed, and tossed his hat onto his desk, running a hand through his hair. He stepped into the washroom to clean his hands, sighing as he caught a glimpse of the tell-tale start of bags under his eyes in the mirror. Maybe he should see the doctor on the way back. See if there was something to the stress diagnosis after all. But not now.

He stepped into the washroom, filled up the sink, and after dousing his hand, took off his jacket and rummaged about in the inside pocket. He reached under the sink, behind a loose panel, drew out the bottle of red dusty sand from home, and tapped out a small amount onto his forefinger. Slowly, he began to trace out the curved patterns on his chest. Ah, for a proper place to conduct the rite, he thought to himself as he hummed a tune and moved past the second crest. Well, he didn’t have that luxury, now did he? Mars would hear his plea, no matter how far he was from her.

The cabin was silent for a few minutes more as he continued, thin rising and falling lines in red starting to dance across his torso, with the occasional pause for more sand and water. But as he moved to place the last sign, the rounded rune of Mars above his heart, he paused. He realised he’d let his zeal get ahead of him again, and not thought out what he was going to actually say. He weighed up the risk for a moment. Here, at least, he could close the bathroom door in a pinch, but his personal prayer-holo was in the main room desk, and if one of the officers came in with urgent news while he was preparing in there and reading … Hm. Best not to chance it. He tutted at his own recklessness before taking a breath. Perhaps a classic would serve in times like these.

“O Martis, hallowed be thy dunes,
Guard my soul as darkness yet looms;
In the name of the Saints, let red light dawn,
Over lands far from your grace and forsworn;
Yet as blessed Saffiya prais’d your name,
Let your truths be known across Sol once again.”

He’d just about managed to get halfway through “Amen” before he heard a knock at the door. His lunge for the close button on the washroom door might have been the fastest he’d made a grab for something since the first “relaxed Friday night” he’d been a part of in the officer’s barracks. The washroom door hissed closed as he heard the internal room comm fire up. “Commander? Sorry to interrupt your shut-eye, but news from Nova Sol. Urgent. You’re wanted on the bridge.” He managed to stifle a groan. How was it always MacTavish with the bad timing on this ship…?

“Understood, LT, I’ll be there in three.” He waited for a second for the lieutenant to kill the call and leave before quietly tapping out the rune of Mars with an “Amen.” Two minutes later, he’d cleaned himself and was back in uniform, moving back towards the bridge to hear the news…

this is a really nice rich piece, I love the Mars culture we're building up in this LP.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
So everyone's been proposing either massive Peacemoons or annexing of various other human polities. I'd like to put forward my modest proposal

quote:

Forges of Mars

Utilizing our industrial capabilities to the full we will attempt a two part growth plan, one military the other civilian, and a further addendum if necessary.

Military:The slipways of Mars' shipyards will continue plowing ahead with the newest generations of military craft to deal with the fartcrab menace, whether the fleet is used offensively or defensively is moot for the proposal with one minor caveat, that there are two pairs of survey vessels that are designated to explore deeper in directions we have not yet jumped (looking at you Galileo and Moutare Systems). Otherwise most of the military will be geared towards building up to deal with the fartcrabs (and ensure that we are not defenseless at home while the fleet kicks crustaceass systems away). In the event that the fartcrabs are not forthcoming or the will to assault them isn't there, our military could always be then utilized against UT or IC if necessary.

Civilian: While the slipways create warship after warship, we cannot neglect either our glorious efforts to terraform Mars, or the colonies we've already established offworld. To that end I propose the development of Mobile Terraformer Stations (using orbital habs in the design to allow them to be constructed by ground factories instead of using slipways). These terraformer stations will have internal engines and be able to self-locomote to provide terraforming assistance anywhere in the Federation. While priority will be given to the Green Mars project in this endeavor, some terraformers will be initially sent off towards Titan or Ranganui to speed terraforming efforts there.
Furthermore, these Terraforming stations should be mostly modular in that there are versions with the Terraformers taken out to be replaced with cargo/colonists/both, so the war effort does not slow the process of colonization.

"The IC Question" Addendum:As has been noted by many, the IC in its present state will likely not last, maybe not before the year is out, but it will collapse and doing so in the middle of the present fartcrab war would be detrimental to the stability of the human war effort. To that end, much like the UT is doing, we should be buying up as much public influence in the IC as possible and, when it likely becomes apparent that our industry needs more we will already have enough of a share in IC to start pressuring the Triumvirs to sell out or settle. If necessary this can be done by force with our ships we're churning out, but I'd prefer if this process of consolidation was done (mostly) peacefully.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I'm considering writing a little slice of my own fiction as well, but for that, I would like if I could get a detailed bit of status on the condition of my ship? I mean besides "Totally hosed", I know that much already. :v:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRlQIlp4WVM

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mars First needs to be hosed up and fast.

Also I hope the Internationale is doing okay. Just having a nice long chat with Speedy.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Well, there goes most of the goodwill from assisting in the Earth's refugee crisis & defending Nova Sol.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Nevets posted:

Well, there goes most of the goodwill from assisting in the Earth's refugee crisis & defending Nova Sol.

Never mind that. How the actual gently caress did they get a 1 MT nuke?!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Inglonias posted:

Harris.

This is totally Harris' fault I guarantee it. This seems like a move right out of Senator Warcrimes' playbook.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
When the right hand and the left
Should know nothing of the other
Nevertheless they clap
Harris we must slap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Inglonias posted:

Obviously the Martian government's tacit support for this radical group allowed them to infiltrate the military enough to secure a WMD; and a lack of proper internal controls due to Mar's fanatical nationalist ethics which led to the incorrect assumption that no Martian would ever put his desires above the nation.

--- UT Senator Mediawhore