Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
there's a lot of gratuitous differences between appkit and uikit like uicolor and nscolor being unrelated types that makes some cross-platform code needlessly annoying to write. while i don't think universal apps would be a very good idea, it would be nice if they unified the parts that aren't particularly platform-specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

i'd imagine ios/osx crossover apps would be like UWP where in some cases a shared UI design that scales based on app size/ratio is appropriate but in other cases you get a totally different UI with the same codebase.
yeah that worked great in a universe where the UI is most of the application code

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
steve jobs' dream finally realized, everything is a webview

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

yeah that worked great in a universe where the UI is most of the application code

Yeah if you're dealing with something old and lovely that has a bunch of code in the UI you're gonna be hurting no matter what you do w/ it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Doc Block posted:

i can't wait for apps on macOS that were clearly designed around single window touch-based interfaces with mouse support bolted on. i would 100% expect there to be at least a few apps that involve swiping with the mouse, like you do in the iOS Simulator in Xcode.

welcome to "mobile first" web development.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
sorry, sorry, web "development"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I’ve already paid twice for 1Password so this doesn’t help me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
maybe you can pay a third time when it becomes a universal app

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol still flying that xaml flag

the user interface is inseparable from application logic and every attempt to compartmentalize it leads to tons of pointless overhead for everyone, most "apps" are web containers and the ones that use native code still have most of the application logic and data movement happening remote

the user interface is the application

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the ui logic is trivial compared to the actual application logic which may be in local code or it might be in server code. doesn't really matter. in the case of UWP you can have XAML based stuff that works like "responsive" css and you can have totally separate UIs where things you might make touch friendly on a touch device are mouse friendly on a mouse device. Different designs for different inputs and form factors, but bound to the same application code. And again you could either have this in a single set of XAML controls that have different designs based on device or you could have totally different XAML for each device. When the universal application runs you have logic that tells it which UI to use based on the current device capabilities.

people writing osx and ios versions of the same app are for sure using shared code already whether you think they are or not. Even if they're just a wrapper around a web app, theres plenty of shared code for things like serialization, authentication, client side validation, notification handling, etc... right now they're maintaining 2 UIs that use the same shared code and then they publish those 2 uis as separate applications. Theres no reason they couldn't be published as 1 universal application with the UI assigned by device.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

xaml is like communism, no one's ever done it right, but boy howdy, if they did it'd be something!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
XAML works great but I'm not surprised a bunch of Linux users don't get it

pram
Jun 10, 2001
silverlight :shagger:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

universal applications sound awesome if you're the kind of org that doesn't test things properly

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I don't think you really understand what a universal application is. Its the exact same code you have today but its in 1 package instead of 2. your testing doesnt change

pram
Jun 10, 2001
actually osx has always been ahead of the curve (one could say, the most advanced) in this regard

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

I don't think you really understand what a universal application is. Its the exact same code you have today but its in 1 package instead of 2. your testing doesnt change
I don't think you really understand qa, universal application means if you fix a bug that only appears on the ipad you'll end up having to test the new version on macos and iphone as well

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
hail osx. praise stebe

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

I don't think you really understand qa, universal application means if you fix a bug that only appears on the ipad you'll end up having to test the new version on macos and iphone as well

if the code affects the application then its a bug in all 3 that you need to retest. if its a bug in the ui, you just need to test the ui for the one you changed.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

Plorkyeran posted:

there's a lot of gratuitous differences between appkit and uikit like uicolor and nscolor being unrelated types that makes some cross-platform code needlessly annoying to write. while i don't think universal apps would be a very good idea, it would be nice if they unified the parts that aren't particularly platform-specific.

can you name an example that isn't UIColor/NSColor because everything else that I am trying to come up with is separated for a really good reason

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaggar posted:

if the code affects the application then its a bug in all 3 that you need to retest. if its a bug in the ui, you just need to test the ui for the one you changed.

Good qa orgs don't test that way though because even if pieces of code in a package are logically separate bugs and regressions can still sneak across for all sorts of reasons. If an artifact is changed by a code change anywhere in it the whole artifact needs to be retested.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I am cool with universal mac apps if it means i get to run

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pythonista-3/id1085978097?mt=8
and
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/modizer/id393964792?mt=8

on my macbook

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Doc Block posted:

more lovely apps is just what the mac needs

NOT!
-borat

there are already many lovely mac apps. you dont have to use them

do you really believe that no good new apps will be created if you bring 50k new devs to the mac

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

honestly curious - why would pythonista be preferable to just running python and an ide on your macintoshbook?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

Good qa orgs don't test that way though because even if pieces of code in a package are logically separate bugs and regressions can still sneak across for all sorts of reasons. If an artifact is changed by a code change anywhere in it the whole artifact needs to be retested.

these are separate artifacts that get packaged together for the release. its the same as if you had 2 separate releases, one for each device, and only one is getting the update.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

im currently teaching myself xaml/wpf and it is extremely cool the amount of ui code just vanishes thanks to bindings and validation

on the other hand i think viewmodels are insanely stupid

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
hope the webdevs of the world can handle the future
https://twitter.com/rmondello/status/943545865204989953

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Jimmy Carter posted:

hope the webdevs of the world can handle the future
https://twitter.com/rmondello/status/943545865204989953

love it when browser developers decide they are smarter than webdevs and deliberately break functionality to force webdevs to do the right thing

see also: chome ignores autocomplete=“off” on password forms and will always fill the field IMMEDIATELY BEFORE a type=password field with a username (because you OBVIOUSLY intend to use autocomplete=“off” to thwart password managers, and not because, say, the form is a password reset or for some other legitimate purpose)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nice meltdown

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

ComradeCosmobot posted:

love it when browser developers decide they are smarter than webdevs

they are

idgaf about this specific thing, but have you met many webdevs?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Lysidas posted:

they are

idgaf about this specific thing, but have you met many webdevs?

p sure all devs are guilty of dunning-kruger, friend

not just web devs

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
nice page number

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

nice page number
NICE!

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

GenJoe posted:

can you name an example that isn't UIColor/NSColor because everything else that I am trying to come up with is separated for a really good reason

apple is already doing it with Photos, so i don't know what the panic is about

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

GenJoe posted:

uiimage/nsimage and uifont/nsfont and the pile of associated classes

the uiview/nsview family isn't a gratuitous difference per se, but the uikit version is basically appkit 2.0 rather than a platform difference

textkit is basically just an improved api for existing appkit functionality

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

posting on the sex page, in the thread about computers for sex havers

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
civilization vi just came out for ipad air 2 or newer. in-app unlock is 30 bucks for now

this world where devs can build apps for a different platform just by slapping a touch interface on top sure is a waking nightmare

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

St Evan Echoes posted:

posting on the sex page, in the thread about computers for sex havers

self-report != official data

although as an apple device owner i am a pretty good sex-haver :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

St Evan Echoes posted:

posting on the sex page, in the thread about computers for people who have sex with their computers