Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sarsapariller posted:

Counterpoint: here's a game that actually came out this year. From an indie studio with about 20 devs total.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL2RhY2vJes

Star Citizen is years behind.

I was going to make this same comparison. Chris Roberts has constantly hammered this emphasis on fidelity and mind blowing graphics. It's one of the few things that Star Citizen can absolutely be judged on now since gameplay remains such a mystery. And in that regard they are found wanting, comparing poorly to an independent developer with less than a tenth of the developers and a fraction of the budget.

Backers won't care some it's clearly progress and something to gloat about, but if this is supposed to be their huge reveal displaying the full extent of their production thank it should be a huge red flag.

Call of Duty Infinite Warfare came out a year ago and looked far better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Is there going to be goon discord chat for tonight’s thing?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Counterpoint: here's a game that actually came out this year. From an indie studio with about 20 devs total.

Good headphones with dim lights... This game will really scare the poo poo out of you... In a good way

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I was going to make this same comparison. Chris Roberts has constantly hammered this emphasis on fidelity and mind blowing graphics. It's one of the few things that Star Citizen can absolutely be judged on now since gameplay remains such a mystery. And in that regard they are found wanting, comparing poorly to an independent developer with less than a tenth of the developers and a fraction of the budget.

Things that CryEngine does well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcnrt1pX5XA
Physically Based Rendering
Lighting
Reflections
Vegetation
Particle Effects
Volumetric Fog
Depth Of Field
Physics

Things that CryEngine does not do well:
Characters

So naturally Chris chooses it for his moviegame that features, almost exclusively, a lot of people standing around and talking in very still closeup. Thinking back on it, have we ever seen a trailer for SQ42 that involved gameplay, or any amount of action whatsoever? I think every single one has been a person talking- pusher's briefing, admiral Gary's speech, the Morrow disaster, this new old man thing. Jesus Christ, Roberts, nobody plays video games for the thrilling dialogue. You aren't making 12 angry men in space you loving hack.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
His eyes are so glossy it looks like he's about to cry.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sarsapariller posted:

It's awesome how since this game was released suddenly Chris has put 'inner voices' into Star Citizen :allears:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://youtu.be/FuIeKMYaIAk

Oh look a space game made by people who know what they're doing

Looks dope as hell tbh

Also whatre the odds that this comes out before star citizen

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

"know what they're doing" might be a bit of a stretch seeing as they made X Rebirth. They patched that into a decent enough game though so I'm hoping all the lessons they learned make it into 4.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

big nipples big life posted:

"know what they're doing" might be a bit of a stretch seeing as they made X Rebirth. They patched that into a decent enough game though so I'm hoping all the lessons they learned make it into 4.

But they also made a million games before then so yeah they hosed up and knew they hosed up so already more promising

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Phi230 posted:

https://youtu.be/FuIeKMYaIAk

Oh look a space game made by people who know what they're doing

Looks dope as hell tbh

Also whatre the odds that this comes out before star citizen

Ahahaha they have first person running-around-your-ship.

Just needs co-op and they'll have completely lapped Star Citizen's development.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sarsapariller posted:

Things that CryEngine does well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcnrt1pX5XA
Physically Based Rendering
Lighting
Reflections
Vegetation
Particle Effects
Volumetric Fog
Depth Of Field
Physics

Things that CryEngine does not do well:
Characters

So naturally Chris chooses it for his moviegame that features, almost exclusively, a lot of people standing around and talking in very still closeup. Thinking back on it, have we ever seen a trailer for SQ42 that involved gameplay, or any amount of action whatsoever? I think every single one has been a person talking- pusher's briefing, admiral Gary's speech, the Morrow disaster, this new old man thing. Jesus Christ, Roberts, nobody plays video games for the thrilling dialogue. You aren't making 12 angry men in space you loving hack.

Nevermind that the primary reason for using the A-list talent and millions of dollars for performance capture was so that they could authentically recreate their appearance. Otherwise you could use a bunch of no-name voice talent and just make the characters whoever you want.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What is the correct amalgamation of the words tanks and tane?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The shitshow starts at 3pm eastern?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Well I mean it started in 2011 but you know what I mean.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Beet Wagon posted:

Iospace is not only fully embracing the pants-making GBS threads insanity of the Star Citizen thread but is also about to fly out to Sag A in Elite so please be gentle because the space madness has fully taken hold.

I haven't made my Sag A* trip yet. I'm still returning from my Cygnus X-1 trip.

Only to find the X-1 component isn't there :smith:

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

alphabettitouretti posted:

Why's his mouth open the whole time?

Have you seen the new Star Wars? It kinda is Mark Hamills thing nowadays...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Where's that cake.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dusty Lens posted:

Where's that cake.

Taken it to school to show his pals :(

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, hopefully it can down the fps from 60 to 11 or so for maximum fidelity and integration.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kramjacks posted:

That reminds me of Dead Space uh, 2 or 3. At one point you walk through a doorway and a couple guards grab your arms, rendering you completely helpless. When by that point Issac is this loving insane monster smashing death-machine. I was hoping that Issac would just horrifically destroy the guards as a show of what fighting the necromorphs has done to him and made him capable of, but no, he just kind of squirms ineffectually.

Fallout 3 has a point in the main story where even if you are max level, wearing full power armor and can facetank a nuke, you get instantly knocked out by some EMP (?) grenade dropped outside out of grenade range. Said grenade is not available to the same faction which used it to capture you outside of that moment, so it's completely obvious that the devs just went "Ok, knock out the player character here." It's the dumbest moment in the game and not in a good way.

Then again, Bethesda and sensible writing has probably never been friends.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Bofast posted:

Fallout 3 has a point in the main story where even if you are max level, wearing full power armor and can facetank a nuke, you get instantly knocked out by some EMP (?) grenade dropped outside out of grenade range. Said grenade is not available to the same faction which used it to capture you outside of that moment, so it's completely obvious that the devs just went "Ok, knock out the player character here." It's the dumbest moment in the game and not in a good way.

Then again, Bethesda and sensible writing has probably never been friends.

Bethesda getting the fallout licence was a horrific travesty. Having played Divinity Original Sin recently, I only wish Larian had gotten it instead.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Colostomy Bag posted:

Taenks

TheGodofIris
Oct 12, 2016

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free

Colostomy Bag posted:

Tanks + Tane

Ta + ne = Tane???

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The shitshow starts at 3pm eastern?

I find it so stupid that their presentation is during work hours throughout the entire NA continent. I guess they must be targeting jobless idiots who received government mo-ohhhhh... oh no... :ohdear:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I find it so stupid that their presentation is during work hours throughout the entire NA continent. I guess they must be targeting jobless idiots who received government mo-ohhhhh... oh no... :ohdear:

lol if you think Chris and Sandi would stay after hours or come in on a weekend even for extra whale cash.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Why do you think that stupid instant ramen noodle machine is so popular?! It reminds them of their daily cuisine.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Backers won't care some it's clearly progress and something to gloat about, but if this is supposed to be their huge reveal displaying the full extent of their production thank it should be a huge red flag.

Call of Duty Infinite Warfare came out a year ago and looked far better.

Repeat of Freelancer. When it was first shown in 1998 it had amazing graphics for that era. By the time it came out in 2003 they were just meh. The rest of the world had caught up and surpassed them.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

lol if you think Chris and Sandi would stay after hours or come in on a weekend even for extra whale cash.

A 2pm start would solve everything except for the west coast, but then again their stuff is always late so yeah, that'd be "working" "overtime"

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
Tanks?
loving tanks?
Goons, I present to you Ben Lesnick's worst fear:

The Battle of the Bulge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4j4iq-hN_8

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Codezombie posted:

Why do you think that stupid instant ramen noodle machine is so popular?! It reminds them of their daily cuisine.

GRAB EAT, more like FUD SPEAK!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Aren't most of the remaining whales in Europe? Clifford the Anime girl isn't but he's going to buy 10 tanks even if the holiday special was nothing but Chris saying "suck my dick Clifford you are never getting a game" for 3 hours.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Our daily diet is salty tears.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Looking forward to the as-yet unannounced helicopters and boats of various sizes to make their way to the cash shop.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I was pretty drunk last night and I totally thought the tank thing was just a joke.
But it's not!

This is like the best vacation ever.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lladre posted:

I was pretty drunk last night and I totally thought the tank thing was just a joke.
But it's not!

This is like the best vacation ever.

National Lampoon's Fabrication

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

The only time I bought tanks is in red alert c&c

I will call it first: the next game mode will be called Tank Commander

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Colostomy Bag posted:

tainx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

iospace posted:

I haven't made my Sag A* trip yet. I'm still returning from my Cygnus X-1 trip.

Only to find the X-1 component isn't there :smith:

It isn't? That's a pity.
Just 14,500 ly to go before I'm back from my exploration trip and can try the T10 (which is basically a space tank).