Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Defence Objectives Committee Directives on SDF Policing During the Transitional Period (March 3062):

All of the items below are to be considered binding orders for the period of transition, as defined in the Police Reform Act and the directives of the Ministry of Internal Security:

1) During the transitional period, the SDF will patrol the streets of the police departments they replace, take over all police buildings and maintain the security of all important governmental buildings. They may also make proactive operations against known gang lords and large criminal elements. The commander of the troops assigned to an area with work with the transitional-government appointed police chief of the area to set patrol priorities, routes and any proactive operations deemed necessary by the police chief, aided by others (see the bill).

2) When SDF soldiers are on patrol, and alerted to ongoing violence or disorder (or directed to do so by their leadership), they are to restore order by pacifying any hostile citizens, using non lethal methods at first. They may use melee weapons against others to subdue, but may only use firearms against those possessing them or when there is a imminent need to do so to save a life (e.g.: criminal with knife approaches someone unarmed, soldier to far too intervene with melee in time).

3) If a suspect is pacified when attacking the SDF or other citizens, then they are to be detained in the former police jails while legal authorities work on charging them for their exact crimes. This only allows them to be detained to the end of this transition period, pending further clarification on their status.

4) If SDF soldiers witness a ongoing property crime (burglary, selling drugs illegally, etc) they should intervene to stop the criminal via non-lethal methods, with escalation as detailed above, but not pursue a suspect if they flee. If they are pacified, then statements and evidence shall be taken for further legal usage, but the suspect released on bail due to lack of resources to hold them during prosecution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

The KNK votes NAY to all nominees for the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and SIRTRAK Board.

The KNK does not believe that these new entities are for the good of the Sirtan people.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Comrade Radek
Minister of Security

I applaud the distinguished representative of the KNK for making his monthly appearance in this chamber to vaguely rail against whatever happens to be on the docket at the moment. Perhaps next month he might actually bring with him an idea for constructive work he can accomplish rather than attempting to tear down the collaborative accomplishments of others.

That he believes the TRC is not in the interest of the Sirtan people is especially interesting, I believe, almost as if he has issues in his own past he wishes to remain hidden. Interesting indeed.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Comrade Radek posted:

That he believes the TRC is not in the interest of the Sirtan people is especially interesting, I believe, almost as if he has issues in his own past he wishes to remain hidden. Interesting indeed.

Ahhh, Comrade Radek, so good of you to acknowledge those of us who are relegated to the sidelines and back benches of your better tomorrow.

Your musings about my past are indeed interesting, and I suppose that's all which is required for your Militia to haul me in before your Council for questioning and judgement?

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Aye to all

On another note, for some investments that we can use the temporary windfall for that would not lead to high repeated cost, may I suggest a modernization and repair of the water and waste-treatment infrastructure? We haven't really done an in depth study on it, but between the war, corruption, neglect and rebel held territory being forced to make ad-hoc solutions, I believe the public health would be well served with some investment in this area.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

CourValant posted:

The KNK votes NAY to all nominees for the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and SIRTRAK Board.

The KNK does not believe that these new entities are for the good of the Sirtan people.

"why are criminals openly allowed a voice in government, and more importantly, why do they use their power in such a dumb way?" - a widely shared post on the sirtan global datanet

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Let us keep decorum gentlemen. Let us speak accusations of corruption in a court of law or not at all, nor imply that the Militia or the TRC would be used as political ploys.

The councilor, and presumably the people he represents do not agree with the existence of these organizations, and so it is understandable that they would not support any of the candidates for leadership. There is nothing shocking or improper about it. Nor is his vote against likely to be vital. We disagree, we disagree quite vehemently on occasion, but each of us is the representative of millions of Sirtans, and while we do not owe each other any concessions just because of that, we should try to maintain at least a measure of politeness. If not out of respect for a councilor, than for the people he represents.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Freedom and Stability Part

TRC

Nay to Hill and Ife - We don't trust them to be impartial and fair in the committee - they'll just enable the CLF extremists on the committee, as they did in the constitutional court nominations when they enabled a CLF assassin who has never worked in Law before as a constitutional court judge for life.

Aye to Kayembe and Ramsey

SIRTRAK

Aye to ReSeAu Gen

Nay to the rest - Most of you lack mangenment experience: I'd say you'd run SIRTRAK into the ground, but it's already there: you'd just stop it getting up.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

SIRTRAK:
Aye to Luxemburg, ReSeAu Gen, and Moana Kawehi.

Nay to Radek and Kropotkin. While Minister Radek did author the SIRTRAK Act, I believe that its current operation is rather far afield from his current post as Minister of Internal Security, and that Minister Luxemburg should be more than capable of organizing the operation in accordance with Radek's original intent. As for Kropotkin, I believe it is inappropriate for the justices of our Constitutional Court to hold other positions within the government. While it's true that any Justice is going to have conflicts of interest that necessitate that they recuse themselves from some judgments, we should not structure our government in such a way that it actively creates conflicts of interest. In their place, I would like to see a candidate with more formal engineering experience--while I recognize Moana Kawehi's experience with the railways, I believe that that having a candidate with experience on the more technical side of things would prove valuable--and a legal advisor either from a lower court, or who is a lawyer, rather than a judge.

TRC:

Aye to Hill, Ramsey, Hoffman, Kaufman, and Newell

Nay to Kayembe and Ife. While I have nothing but respect for Marta Kayembe, and believe she is eminently qualified for the role, I remain firm in my belief that we must minimize the potential conflicts for the Constitutional Court. I would, however, urge our Prime Minister to consult with her in finding a replacement candidate. Ife I find to be somewhat underqualified. Unless the SRLF can provide some reasoning for this choice beyond "they are a member of our party", I am going to have to oppose this selection. I understand the same can be said of Jessica Ramsey, but I think there is a real value in having one of the citizen seats upon the committee, a value I don't see in Ife's nomination.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

AYE to all

I'd also like to ask the Ministry of Infrastructure to prepare a brief report on any critical problems within or potentially useful upgrades to Sirta's water infrastructure, both municipal and agricultural, as well as the breakdown of our current department budget. I welcome Dr. Dubois' suggestion, and would encourage other members to suggest potential uses for our brief windfall of non-recurring income.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Dr. Xavier Dubois posted:

Let us keep decorum gentlemen. Let us speak accusations of corruption in a court of law or not at all, nor imply that the Militia or the TRC would be used as political ploys.

My thanks to the Honorable Dr. Xavier Dubois for speaking truth to power.

The KNK stands ready to work with any Party who is willing to take our viewpoints and concerns into consideration while shaping the future for Sirta.

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.
ReSeAu casts votes in the following nominations accordingly

Truth and Reconciliation Committee

Yes to all save Kayambe whom I am voting No. While I am uneasy with the somewhat partisan skew of the Committee. I choose to nonetheless place our faith in the choices made. Kayambe’s nomination presents a significant conflict of interest considering her role as the Constitutional Court’s Justice. While several members of the SDLF have indicated recusal is an option. I feel that appointments should attempt to minimize constitutional entanglements and that a recusal of a Justice in cases so early in this government would sorely affect any perception of the public on the Court, as well as potentially disrupt hearings, I would however, be open to another legal mind on the Commission, perhaps the Chief Justice can recommend one?

The SIRTRAK Committee
Yes to all except Justice Kropotkin and myself. I am opposing Justice Kropotkin for the same reasons I opposed Justice Kayambe’s nomination to the TRC.

I am abstaining from my own nomination for obvious conflict of interests. I feel that my worth on the committee should be decided by my peers, without any undue influence on my part.

Godlovesus fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 19, 2017

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

My apologies--it appears I read an incomplete briefing of the candidates.

My vote in Ife for the TRC is an Aye

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Since no one seems to be in a hurry to submit a new budget bill or any other bill, for that matter, I am extending the drafting phase until Wednesday - the 20th of December - at 12:30 UTC. There will be no further extensions.

While I am here, I might as well mention that any government decision or Parliament law can be appealed directly to the Constitutional Court so if you see something you think is unconstitutional, feel free to submit an appeal. Of course, the Court itself is the one that decides whether or not cases are worth its' time.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Transcript of the first meeting of the Judicial Appointments Committee:

The date is the 24th of February 3062.

Those present are Committee Chair Coucilor Rhamnusia, Minister of Justice Victor Knapfstein, Minister of Internal Security Radek, Member Tarquin Black, Councilor Minerva and Rebecca Arendt.

Minerva: "So, are we ready to begin?"

Tarquin: "Ready when you are"

Radek: “For my part I am, and I look forward to ensuring that Justice in our new society be administered by the deserving and capable.”

Victor: "Justice mustn't be delayed!"

Rebecca: "We might as well start now."

Tarquin: “Save the rhetoric. Shall we get on with the first candidate?”

Radek: “I think a bit of rhetoric is perfectly fine for this inaugural meeting, we are making history after all.”

Rhamnusia: "That's enough. Victor, present your first candidate for the Constitutional Court."

Victor: "My partners in the struggle for justice, I hereby present Clark Lawrence, a first rate lawyer and a fervent supporter of swift and proper justice! Do you have any questions about his record before we call him in for an interview?"

Radek: ”I'd like to know his education, as I will for all candidates.”

Tarquin: “Same here: case history too, if relevant.”

Victor: "Clark holds a second degree in Criminal Law from Sard University. He spent the long years of the Vallstein administration defending innocents from false charges by the regime."

Radek: “Admirable.”

Tarquin: “Second? Honestly, not very competent in his defenses. Vallstein co-opted or imprisoned many of the high profile defense lawyers against him. But I digress. I assume he joined you on the CLF during Greene?”

Victor: "Eventually, he was held in contempt of court by a corrupt lackey of the regime and disbarred. He returned to his old home in Nielsen's Hill, and, once he saw the people's suffering, he took up arms alongside our valiant sisters and brothers in the CLF, to punish those responsible!"

Radek: “Sounds like a man who was willing to defend the people both in and out of the court room.”

Victor: "Any more questions?"

Radek: “I have nothing more to ask.”

Tarquin: “No further questions: any from the rest of the panel?”

[Silence]

Victor: "If so, I ask the honored Chair to call him for an interview."

Rhamnusia: "Understood. Stand by as a private SCN channel is established."

[The view screen shows a video feed of an old and moldy room, with Clark in front of the camera.]

Clark: "Honorable members of the committee, I am grateful for your consideration. Please, ask me anything you like."

Radek: “What, in essence, is your guiding judicial philosophy?”

Clark: "I have always believed in one principle above all others: that a criminal must be held responsible for their crimes, and the victim be granted adequate restitution for their loss. This is true whether the victim is living or dead."

Radek: “Understandable, but how would you apply that to Constitutional issues?”

Clark: "I will not allow criminals to take advantage of constitutional inadequacies to escape punishment, and rob victims of their justice. As much as possible, I intend to uphold the revolutionary spirit of the constitution rather than following the exact letter of the law."

Tarquin: “Why, in particular Constitutional Law? What have your studies been on it, either theoretically or practically?”

Clark: "The constitution was only written last year. There is no amount of study that could replace personally participating in the revolution, the very endeavor that created it."

Radek: “He has a point - difficult to have a background in a relatively fresh document.”

Tarquin: “Constitutional Law is a general field: you don't need to follow a constitution to be aware of its principles.”

Radek: “Somehow I doubt a firm foundation in Constitutional Law would have been high on the agenda for any curriculum under the Dictators.”

Tarquin: “No, but I would expect any candidate for this position to do some self-study on the varying legal basis that had been used in the past.”

Radek: “Being willing to interpret the wording of the constitution in favor of the people and not overly rely on a rigid reading of the text, I think, is important. I'm sure there are many lessons to be drawn from the Tyrants' time.”

Tarquin: “Sure, which is a interpretation of constitutional law you can take. But I'd expect any candidate to be aware of the legal basis of those interpretations.”

Radek: “I don't believe he said he was unaware, and I will note that the entire code of laws is a newborn itself. Familiarizing as such is a herculean task for any lawyer.”

Radek: “We today are building a new legal tradition, to overly rely on the precedents of tyranny is to sow those seeds back into it. We must look to the present and future.”

Tarquin: “Any legal tradition, I would hope, would be built on consensus. How much contact and discussion have you had the other legal scholars in the Popular resistance and other revolutionary lawyers, Mr Clark?”

Clark: "I have as much of a background in constitutional issues as any qualified lawyer. Again, there is no substitute for being a part of the endeavor which brought it into being."

Minerva: [Smiles oddly.]

Radek: “I will note consensus only will get you so far - even now, I assume, there are legal scholars who through cravenness or avarice had cushy positions under the Dictators and long to return to those principles. Should we take their opinions into account? Ideas and ideals do not exist in a moral vacuum.”

Tarquin: “Of course not. But the revolution was a broad enough thing for it to have legal scholars and ideas behind it without counting Greene’s lackeys.”

Clark: "I have a close working relationship with many lawyers, who fought alongside me in the CLF. As for the Popular Resistance, I am afraid I haven't had the pleasure of lengthy discussions. I was busy, you understand. With the war."

Tarquin: “I understand, I'm sure they would say the same with their protests and street fighting. No further questions.”

Minerva: "If I may join in - what are, in your view, Mr. Lawrence, the guiding principles of the constitution?"

Clark: "The guiding principles are the supremacy of the revolution's ideals, as exemplified by the Guardian Council, and the necessity of a new, more just, order. The constitution is a calcified expression of the revolution itself - a foundation on which a truly just society will be built. It is we who are tasked with building it, and with delivering justice!"

Radek: “Well said.”

Minerva: "I see. I wonder how you could possibly... nevermind. That's all from me."

Tarquin: “Sorry, you've inspired me. Is justice revenge? When must the needs of justice and vengeance diverge?”

Clark: "Justice is many things. At times, it is revenge, and at others restitution. Justice is about setting an example - showing everyone what society can and can't tolerate."

Rhamnusia: "Any other questions?"

Radek: ”No further.”

Rhamnusia: "Very well. Thank you for your time, Clark."

Rhamnusia: "We will now hold a vote on appointing Clark Lawrence onto the Constitutional Court. Register your votes now."

Radek: Support

Tarquin: Oppose

Minerva: Oppose

Rebecca: Oppose

Victor: Support

Rhamnusia: Support

Rhamnusia: "I use my right to break the tie in favor of Support. In a 3-3 vote, this committee approves Clark Lawrence's appointment to the Constitutional Court."

Radek: “I applaud the Chair for her wise decision on the matter, that we may build the aforementioned foundation of law on bedrock principles."

Rhamnusia: "Does the Minister of Internal Security have a candidate in mind?"

Radek: “Yes. For my suggestion, a comrade I've come to work closely with as the Revolution raged, and one I believe will serve admirably to carry forward it's ideals in the years to come: Comrade Kropotkin. If it pleases the committee, we can have him interviewed, and he can provide his case better then I ever could.”

[View screen flickers on, Kropotkin appears.]

Radek: “Welcome Comrade Kropotkin, I hope the Committee may gain the same appreciation of you that I hold.”

Rhamnusia: "Can you tell us about your qualifications for this position?"

Kropotkin: “Yes, of course. Since before the revolution, i have been a historian and a political theorist, and I am well-acquainted with the Sirtan history of Law, and have spent time studying and reviewing the law as a part of my work for the CLF, as well as set down guidelines for the way CLF militias policed among themselves and in the communities under their protection during the revolution.”

Minerva: "Interesting. What would you say is your guiding judicial philosophy?"

Kropotkin: “Certainly, my guiding judicial philosophy is the principle of protecting the wronged party and ensuring that judgments are both fair and in accordance with the greater good of the community.”

Minerva: "How would you apply that in the field of constitutional law?"
Kropotkin: “The constitution concerns itself with the protection of the people of Sirta; and we must ensure that our rulings would grant the greatest protection both now and down the line, to the people of sirta, not simply with punishing wrongdoers in the now.”

Minerva: "What does "greatest protection" mean, exactly? Protection from what?"

Kropotkin: “That would, of course, depend on the case in question, but in general terms, from abuses of government and from abuses from people in power and wealth outside of government.”

Minerva: "I see. And in cases where both parties hold power and wealth?"

Kropotkin: “In such cases, the guiding principle must first be the law, and where the law is unclear, the greatest number of people who might be affected by the ruling down the road.”

Minerva: "I suppose that's sensible enough. No more questions from me."

Rhamnusia: "Does anyone else have any questions?"

Radek: “Yes. What would say your background as an academic and legal scholar provides as an advantage when compared to a candidate from a more, say, traditional background.”

Kropotkin: “My background grounds me in history and the history of law, and provides significant and necessary perspective, but I am certain that scholars and lawyers of other backgrounds also have necessary perspectives, and I hope our court will hold a balance of all the necessary insights and backgrounds.”

Radek: “Interesting, and I'll note that I suppose ties in to the point previously made earlier by my colleague about a wider array of backgrounds being an important factor for our new legal tradition. No further questions.”

Rhamnusia: "Anyone else?"

[Silence.]

Rhamnusia: "Kropotkin, thank you for your time."

[View screen flickers off.]

Rhamnusia: "We will now hold a vote on appointing Kropotkin to the Constitutional Court. Register your votes now."

Minerva: Support

Rebecca: Support

Tarquin: Abstain

Radek: “I am duly gratified by the results, and am confident that Kropotkin shall repay the trust we have placed in him many times over.”

Rhamnusia: "With a 5-0 vote, this committee hereby appoints Kropotkin to the Constitutional Court."

Radek: “I look forward to discussing the next nominees.”

Rhamnusia: "Member Black, do you have a candidate in mind?"

Black: "Yes. I would like to present a uniquely qualified candidate - Reginald Songset, a former Justice of the Supreme Court of Sirta under the previous two administrations. Does anyone have any questions before I call him in? "

Radek: “In what way is a lickspittle lackey of the Dictator a fitting member for this new judicial order we are attempting to establish?”

Black: "That language is wholly inappropriate. Reginald is merely a hardworking servant of the law. He can hardly be accused of complicity in the regime's crimes - in fact, he was sacked by Greene for his unwillingness to participate in repression! Should we hold every single public servant responsible for Greene's mistakes?"

Radek: “When we are debating whether or not to put them on the Constitutional Court, a higher bar must be met! Bring him in, we shall ask him questions.”

Rhamnusia: [In an aloof tone] "Please wait while a private SCN channel is established."

[View screen flickers on, Reginald's figure appears in a lavish looking penthouse.]

Reginald: "Exalted members of the committee, it is the greatest honor to be granted the privilege of answering your questions. What will you ask of me?"

Radek: “You certainly appear to have done quite nicely for yourself. Please provide an accounting of your career under the Dictators.”

Reginald: "Please. What little I have made for myself was earned through honest service in trying times. I tried, at every possible opportunity, to uphold the law and restrain the government's worst excesses. Alas, there simply wasn't much I could do..."

Radek: “When were you appointed?”

Reginald: "I was appointed on Vallstein's first term. But, make no mistake, I was a judge long before that. I was appointed on merit alone, as I am sure many could attest."

Radek: “So you were willing to serve under a creeping, then total dictatorship for some 30 years?”

Reginald: "I felt that if I hadn't, there would be no one to restrain the government's blatant violations of rights. I could do more from the judge's seat than I could from the street."

Radek: “What did you do from the judge's seat?”

Reginald: "I ensured that the old constitution would be properly respected. Though, as I am sure you are aware, that wasn't always possible. This new constitution is much better in the sense that it has far more checks on the executive's power. It should be much easier to enforce. Quiet a spectacular document it is."

Radek: “How did you do that? Considering the facts of history I'm not sure that you can claim any particular success, but certainly I'd be interested in any particular instances where your voice was a verifiable argument for freedom.”

Reginald: "If not for my intervention, things would have been much worse. I am sure you could see that in any number of cases, if you bother to look."

Radek: “Please note for the record the inability to answer as to specifics. On another subject, how would you respond to the argument that appointing one of the first appointees of Vallstein to our new court gives lie to the notion that we're charting a new path, and indeed are reverting to the unacceptable status quo?”

Reginald: "There will doubtless be many new judges on the court. My voice will simply add an experienced perspective to your new direction. Surely, you can see the value in that?"

Radek: “I disagree, when the experience is one of cronyism and corruption I argue it's one we're better served without. Do my colleagues have any questions they wish to ask the...distinguished nominee?”

Minerva: "I do. Mr. Songset, you have praised the new constitution just a moment ago, on its' ability to provide a check on the executive. Can you tell me, in your view, what are the most important principles of the new constitution?"

Reginald: "As I have said, the constitution has many mechanisms for proper checks and balances. Your Guardian Council is certainly chief among them. This oversight is by far the most significant part of the new constitution."

Minerva: "So you say. Yet, some would argue that this "oversight" is more a problem than a positive quality, what with being controlled by an initially unelected group. What do you think of this view?"

Reginald: "Surely, some of the foremost leaders of the revolution can't be seen as anything else than an extension of the people's will. Indeed, there can be no better group to perform this essential task than you."

Minerva: "I understand. No further questions from me."

Rhamnusia: [Monotone] "Any more questions?"

Radek: “Mr. Songset considering the corruption inherent in the judiciary through the past decades would you be willing to submit your full financial account history for audit?
Surely you can agree the need for complete faith in those we entrust with such weighty positions.”

Reginald: "Naturally. I can have the full records ready within a month's time. I understand the need for tighter scrutiny."

Radek: “Then I look forward to revisiting your nomination at a future date, and accordingly have no further questions at this time.”

Rhamnusia: "Thank you for your time Mr. Songset. I am sure this is not the last you'll hear of justice."

Rhamnusia: "We will now vote on appointing Reginald Songset to the Constitutional Court. Register your votes now."

Rhamnusia: Oppose

Tarquin: Support

Victor: Oppose

Radek: Oppose

Rhamnusia: "Reginald's appointment is rejected by this committee in a 5-1 vote. Miss Arendt, does the New Bar Association have a candidate to present?"

Rebecca: "Yes. I would like to present our current president, Marta Kayembe. I trust all are familiar with her record?"

Radek: “An admirable one indeed.”

Rebecca: "Any questions before we call her?"

Radek: “Nothing I can think of.”

Rhamnusia: "Wait while a private SCN channel is established."

[View screen flickers on, Marta appears in a closet-sized room.]

Marta: "I am pleased to be granted this opportunity to serve society once more. Ask anything you like."

Radek: “I am happy to give Miss Arendt the first question, otherwise I would ask the nominee as to her guiding judicial philosophy, especially as it would relate to this appointment.”

Rebecca: "I have no questions, as I know the nominee well, and, as such, am inherently biased."

Marta: "My judicial philosophy has always been directed by what's best for society. I have experienced firsthand the consequences a corrupt or incompetent judiciary can have on each and every one of us. I intend to do my best to prevent corruption from taking hold or being seen as permissible. I will not allow the mechanisms of government to be turned on the citizens again."

Radek: “No further questions. The merits of the nominee I believe are readily apparent.”

Minerva: "In your view, Miss Kayembe, what are the guiding principles of the constitution?"

Marta: "Well, it's hard to say from my perspective, but I see the new constitution as an excellent framework for both democratic rule and the retention of some core values that may not be easily overturned. The Guardian Council is an evolving reflection of the values our society holds as the most important over time."

Minerva: "Thank you. No further questions."

Rhamnusia: "Any more questions?"

Tarquin: “None here.”

Radek: “None.”

Rhamnusia: "Thank you for your time, Miss Kayembe."

Rhamnusia: "We will now vote on appointing Marta Kayembe to the Constitutional Court. Register your votes now."

Tarquin: Support

Victor: Abstain

Rhamnusia: "This committee appoints Marta Kayembe to the Constitutional Court in a 5-0 vote. Do you have a candidate in mind, Councilor Minerva?"

Minerva: "Not yet. Carry on for now."

Rhamnusia: "Very well. Does anyone else have any other candidates?"

Radek: “I will bring forth another name: Peter Bronstein, one time District Attorney, subsequent pro-bono Defense Attorney as the reality of what Vallstein was creating took root.”

Rhamnusia: "What are his qualifications for the position?"

Radek: “A law degree as foundation, to be sure, but also the relatively unique accomplishments of having both defended the law and defended the people.”

Rhamnusia: "Very well."

[View screen flickers on, Peter appears in a nondescript room.]

Peter: “Thank you for honoring me with this nomination, Committee members, and I'll be happy to answer your questions as best I can.”

Radek: “I will defer questioning, as it is my nomination.”

Minerva: "What are the core principles of the constitution, in your opinion?"

Tarquin: “What would your judicial philosophy be, Peter?”

Peter: “Any constitution, properly formed and adhered to, exists as a check on power - balancing the overwhelming power of the sovereign state against the inalienable and natural rights of the individual. We must certainly adhere to the text, of course, but as justices we are also entrusted with a certain degree of latitude to make decisions that will provide relief in the present, but also stability in the future.

So I guess to answer the former question: "A bulwark against injustice" and the latter: "to avoid an overly legalistic focus in favor of making wise, fair, and impartial decisions with an eye towards present and future." As a prosecutor that was what I certainly attempted to do within the boundaries of my office, and what I continued to do from the other side of the well once I could no longer in good faith serve the government.”

Minerva: "I see. Which rights are to be considered inalienable then? Can you envision a scenario in which you would side with the state against an individual on any issue?"

Peter: “I think certainly the rights to life and liberty are inalienable, with of course the exceptions that any society makes for the punishment of criminal transgressions. As for a scenario where I side with the state against the individual, certainly - the constitution does not give the individual impunity to act freely, but merely prevents the government from acting unopposed as it did these past decades. As for an individual scenario, judicial restraint prevents me from giving a specific answer on how I might rule, but certainly I would give due deference to the legislation passed by a duly empowered Legislature and an Executive acting within the bounds of both that and the Constitution.”

Minerva: "Reasonable. Does anyone else have anything to ask?"

Tarquin: “No.”

Rhamnusia: "Thank you for your time, Mr. Bronstein."

[View screen flickers off]

Rhamnusia: "We will now vote on appointing Peter Bronstein to the Constitutional Court. Register your votes now."

Rhamnusia: "In a 4-0 vote, this committee appoints Peter Bronstein to the Constituional Court. Does anyone else have other candidates?"

Victor: "I have someone in mind. Rachel Gales may be inexperienced as a lawyer, but her credentials in the struggle for justice are unmatched - having personally executed many of the regime's most heinous criminals during the civil war."

Radek: “A um, bold, nomination.”

Tarquin: “You would appoint someone with no legal experience to the highest court of the land for life?”

Radek: “Well I'd like to know what "inexperienced" means.”

Victor: "She was a student of law for many years, and obtained her first degree just before she valiantly plunged herself into our struggle. I can't think of anyone as experienced in dispensing true justice as her."

Tarquin: “Well, I suppose we must give her a interview, like all nominees.”

[The view screen flickers on, and Rachel appears. A sniper rifle is visible in the background.]

Rachel: "Hello. I assume you want to ask me some questions, yes?"

Radek: “What advantages do you think you'd bring to the Court with your background?”

Rachel: "That one is obvious. I know what regime bootlickers look like. I know how they operate, and how they think. I will make sure that they can't hide from true justice behind the constitution. Others may not be as quick to understand what's happening, but I know. Trust me, I know who these scum are. I promise not to interfere with other, unrelated cases."

Tarquin: "So you would put your personal viewpoints above the written word of law? And you think we should appoint you a lifetime position to hunt bootlickers: what happens when they are all gone? Or the other judges overrule you?"

Rachel: "The other judges are free to do as they like. There are personal viewpoints and then there are known criminals that think everyone will forget all the pain and suffering they have enabled if they say the right magic words. As I said before, I know who yo... I know who these scum are."

Radek: “That your focus on justice is admirably targeted towards those who have recently profited off the misery of the people, and that you would recuse from other cases would suggest a role better suited to the TRC, I would think.”

Tarquin: "Isn't a judge-and justice supposed to be impartial, and judge a case on the facts presented to them?"

Rachel: "You are right, of course. But that's for those whose guilt hasn't already been shown. The regime's time wasn't that long ago. Trust me, there are things that everyone knows. As for a position on the TRC, that's a short-term body dependent on Parliament's will. This court is more stable. Regardless, I know I will never be confirmed by Parliament for TRC. Some people are too afraid to see true justice for what it is."

Tarquin: "No further questions: I think I have enough to vote on."

Minerva: "Is this "true justice" worth more to you than a better life for all people?"

Rachel: "That's a false dichotomy. There can be no better life when crimes go unpunished. The opposite is true, when you spare even a moment to consider a victim's perspective."

Minerva: "So you say. There are more victims than those of crimes."

Rachel: "That isn't something I can help with."

Minerva: "No further questions from me."

Rhamnusia: "Thank you for your time...Rachel."

[The view screen flickers off.]

Rhamnusia: "We will now vote on appointing Rachel Gales to the Constitutional Court. Register your votes now."

Tarquin: Oppose

Rhamnusia: "There is a 3-3 tie. I use my right to break the tie in favor of Support."

Rhamnusia: "This committee hereby appoints Rachel Gales to the Constitutional Court with a 3-3 vote. Any other candidates?"

Tarquin: "I had another candidate, but I withdraw them, as I doubt they would sway this committee, given this decision."

Minerva: "That's unfortunate. Nevertheless, I have used this time to come up with two candidates. Unless there is someone else?"

Radek: “I'm all ears.”

Tarquin: “Nothing further: I would like to formally register my concern to Rachel's appointment by this committee, and will give way henceforth.”

Minerva: "Since it's late, I think we should brush over some of the formalities. Chloe Wafer is a senior law professor at Sard University."

[View screen flickers on, Chloe appears in a small office]

Chloe: "Good evening. I am sure there are many questions you want to ask me."

Radek: “How would you sum up your judicial philosophy, and how would you extend that to your new role.”

Chloe: "I believe in a living constitution - while any interpretation should follow the basic concepts, the current state of law, government and society as a whole should be major factors in that interpretation."

Radek: “No further questions.”

Minerva: "None from me. Let's vote."

Rhamnusia: "We will now vote on appointing Chloe Wafer to the Constitutional Court. Register your votes now."

Rhamnusia: "Chloe Wafer is appointed to the Constitutional Court with a 4-0 vote."

Minerva: "My other candidate is a legal researcher at a non-profit foundation - Anne Blue."

[View screen flickers on, Anne appears in a hallway.]

Anne: "Evening. Any questions?"

Radek: “What does your foundation do, what is your legal background, and what is your judicial philosophy?”

Anne: "My foundation tries to construct a better set of laws for our society. I have been working here for 16 years. Before that, I was a public defence attorney. My judicial philosophy is that no law is ever perfect, and new cases must be used as starting points for improvement."

Radek: “No further questions.”

Minerva: "Time to vote."

Rhamnusia: "We will now vote for Anne Blue's appointment to the Constitutional Court. Register your votes now."

Rhamnusia: Abstain

Rhamnusia: "With a 3-0 vote, Anne Blue is hereby appointed to the Constitutional Court."

Anne: "Yes!"

Minerva: "It seems we have forgotten something."

Minerva: "Better. Any further comments before we disperse?"

Radek: “May that enthusiasm serve her well in the years to come. I look forward to continuing to cooperate with you all on nominations to come.”

Tarquin: “I have made my objections known: I don't feel I need dwell on them any more.”

Minerva: "I won't be a member of this committee when it next meets, so I wish you all the best in fulfilling your duties and striving for a better future for Sirta. Goodbye for now."

Rhamnusia: "The meeting is now over."

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 19, 2017

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Ministry of Infrastructure Overview (March 3062):

The Ministry currently manages the following bodies:

* SIRTRAK – Newly created following recent legislation, this organization administrates and operates the Sirta Transportation Network, taking over from government contractors that were managing it previously, though monetary compensation as required by the act has yet to be paid out. Many sections of the network remain inoperable pending a significant repair project.

Current Funding: 16.5 million NSC

* Sirta Energy Authority – The organization responsible for the four nuclear plants in operation and maintaining the power grid. While the plants are in decent condition, many areas of the power grid show signs of decay, which may prove hazardous in the future.

Current Funding: 20.5 million NSC

* Communications Control – Responsible for maintaining and managing the SCN. Has the capability to block transmissions from and to any networked device, as well as monitor all channels. These capabilities saw heavy use during the Vallstein administration. Was controlled by the Department of Information, during the latter’s relatively short-time in existence.

Current Funding: 8 million NSC

* Ports, Shipping and Travel Authority – Responsible for all spaceports, government owned shuttles and orbital infrastructure. During the Greene administration, it was neglected and underfunded, resulting in the loss of several shuttles and the deterioration of the orbital space ports.

Current Funding: 17 million NSC

* Water and Sewage Authority – Responsible for managing the sewers and piping in all cities and rural settlements. It goes without saying that, due to the civil war many facilities and essential infrastructure in the rural settlements are in poor condition, though still functional for now.

Current Funding: 7 million NSC

* Public Transport Center – Responsible for running buses, public cars and inter-settlement flyers. After the years of the Greene administrations, only a small fraction of vehicles remains. It is unclear where most of the other vehicles disappeared to, but major corruption and organized crime seem like reasonable suspects.

Current Funding: 9 million NSC

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Freedom and Stability Party#

All parties in this parliament agree on the necessity of restoring foreign trade and investment to Sirta to increase the prosperity of our nation and our people - see the recent report to parliament by the Foreign Minister. While I hope his diplomacy is effective, actions speak louder than words: I wish for this government to take firm action in support of free trade by abolishing all tariffs. This will show a firm commitment by Sirta towards increased trade with our neighbours, and bring prosperity to the average Sirtian by decreasing the cost of vital goods like medicines.

With the government is in dire need of financing at the moment, I am not proposing abolishing them tomorrow. The slow pace of interstellar travel means that the first foreign traders would hear of this measure would be when they docked at our ports. So I propose we abolish them in 6 months time, for this is time for news to spread of the measure, and when the government will hopefully have a firmer hand over tax avoidance and a healthier treasury. With the funds needed by the finance ministry to run the corrupt customs departments, barely any money is made from tariffs anyways - 13 million last month, of which 6 million was spent on staffing. I believe the openness this expresses to our neighbours and the increased trade will be better for Sirta than 7 million credits. So I present the Tariff Abolition Act to parliament.

"The Tariff Abolition Act posted:

This act abolishes all tariffs for the import of goods or services into Sirta: No charge can be placed on the entry of any good or service into Sirta without the repeal or amendment of this act.

This act takes effect on the 1st of September 3062:

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 19, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Since no one seems to be in a hurry to submit a new budget bill or any other bill, for that matter, I am extending the drafting phase until Wednesday - the 20th of December - at 12:30 UTC. There will be no further extensions.

OOC: Things are rather busy during this run-up to the Holidays; there's a bill that I would like to propose, and, I won't get a chance to write it until the end of this week.

So, that means it gets introduced in the next game month, I suppose.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Comrade Radek
Minister of Security

As requested by the PM

Sovereign Wealth Fund Act posted:

A Sovereign Wealth Fund shall be created for the good of Sirta, to be administered by the Ministry of Finance

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Proposed budget for April, 3062

Overall Income: 653.8

Proposed Expenses:
* Prime Minister’s Office – 6

* Ministry of Justice – 75 (+10)

* Ministry of Defence – 68

* Ministry of Internal Security – 83 (+15)

* Ministry of Foreign Affairs – 21

* Ministry of Interior – 35.5 (+2.5)

* Ministry of Finance – 60 (+3)

* Ministry of Education – 65

* Ministry of Infrastructure – 86 (+5)

* Ministry of Health – 68 (+3)

* Office of the Attorney General – 4

* Sirtan Budgetary Office – 1.2

* Regular Court System – 17

* Truth and Reconciliation Commission - 3

*Funding to implement the People's Assemblies - 10 (+10)

*Funding the referendum on the People's Assemblies - 4.5 (+4.5)

*Seed money for the Sovereign Wealth Fund - 25.6 (+25.6)

* Parliament – 10

* Guardian Council – 9

* Other Expenses – 2

Overall Expenses: 653.8

Remaining: 0

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I vote Aye to all appointments. I would take this time, however, to register my extreme concern at the Judicial Appointments Committee's appointment of Rachel Gales to the Constitutional Court. Someone who has never even argued a case, much less tried one, has no place on the highest judicial body in Sirta.

I'm happy that the Ministry of Interior will be receiving the necessary funds to conduct the census. There is one minor issue that needs to be addressed. The recent budgetary issues have left us a month off track in conducting the census. We'll need to push back the date the first census is due to report in order for the projected expenses to be on target. Therefore, I introduce a new act:

The Census Extension Act

quote:

The Census Act of 3062 is hereby amended to include, in place of the line

quote:

The Interior Ministry is required to have its full report for the 3062 Census ready for government use by 1 February, 3063.
The following line:

quote:

The Interior Ministry is required to have its full report for the 3062 Census ready for government use by 1 March, 3063.

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.
The Speaker notes the current bills in front of this house are the following:

1. The Tariff Abolition Act submitted by the Freedom Stability Party
2. The Sovereign Wealth Fund Act, submitted by Minister Radek.
3. The Budget Bill submitted by Prime Minister Luxembourg
4. The Census Extension Act, an amendment to the prior passed Census Act, submitted by Minister Danube.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Arthur Subtallier

The People have need of self-improvement, our nation as a whole needs more educated professionals. We should encourage and enable the populace for the benefit of doing so both individually and collectively. I propose the Bootstrap Act as follows:

The Bootstrap Act posted:

Recognising the desire and need for self-improvement as vital to a free people,
Acknowledging the shortfall at the present time in trained professionals,
It is proposed that:

1. Study materials for a variety of subjects useful to the Sirtan people, to be determined by the Ministry of Education, are to be made freely available.
2. Examinations for a recognised qualification in those subjects are to be open and freely available to those that have taken the relevant courses.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
The drafting phase is now over. Editing any proposed bills is now prohibited. The voting phase starts now and will last until Friday - the 22nd of December - at 12:30 UTC.

With thanks to the speaker, the proposals up for vote are:

2. The Sovereign Wealth Fund Act, submitted by Minister Radek.
3. The Budget Bill for April 3062 submitted by Prime Minister Luxembourg
4. The Census Extension Act, an amendment to the prior passed Census Act, submitted by Minister Danube.
5. The Bootstrap Act, submitted by Arthur Subtallier.

Ministers may keep issuing directives for their Ministries, as always. The full vote results for the TRC and SIRTRAK board nominees will be posted later today.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Comrade Bookchin

1. The Tariff Abolition Act submitted by the Freedom Stability Party - NAY
2. The Sovereign Wealth Fund Act, submitted by Minister Radek. - AYE
3. The Budget Bill for April 3062 submitted by Prime Minister Luxembourg - AYE
4. The Census Extension Act, an amendment to the prior passed Census Act, submitted by Minister Danube. - AYE
5. The Bootstrap Act, submitted by Arthur Subtallier. - AYE

With that business out of the way I would like to show the cabinet this month's pending budget for my ministry:

With the upfront costs for the CEC paid for with the previous budget, I have reallocated the 3 NSC to make our specialized education tuition-free, as well as boost our research grant funding, with societal modeling reverting back to it's original funding. Again, it's not a perfect budget, but I need nearly 20 NSC to ensure all institutions tuition-free, 12 in basic education alone according to my directors. These increases were selected to make the most out of the resources we have to work with.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: Director of Public Education, Ministry of Education
Subject: School upgrades to CECs

Director,

I am following up on our conversation regarding the idea to upgrade the current trade schools operating in Topaz and Amber to be fully fledged CECs. Primarily, what would the costs be to upgrade the facilities/train personnel, given the costs of a brand new center to be roughly 3-5 million NSC?

-Bookchin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: All Directors, Ministry of Education
Subject: Curriculum changes

Directors,

In accordance with the SISTER Act, we will be modifying the curriculum as such:

Mandatory Curriculum: The current mandatory curriculum in Sirta follows the outlined program (subjects marked with an asterisk were introduced by the transitional government and are only taught starting from the current student year, subjects with double asterisks are being introduced):

Lower Level – Arithmetic, English, SCN Interaction, Fitness, Drawing

Middle Level – Basic Mathematics, Advanced Mathematics OR Creative Writing OR Electronic Maintenance, Formal Writing, Introduction to Complex Systems Science OR Physics OR Chemistry OR Biology, Fitness OR Athletics, Abstract Art OR Media Appreciation OR Music, Overview of Earth History, Recent Sirta History*, Civil Society*, Introduction to Social Ecology**, Introduction to Direct Democracy**

Upper Level – Advanced Mathematics OR Creative Writing OR Electronic Engineering, Complex Systems Science OR Physics OR Chemistry OR Biology, Fitness OR Athletics, Expressive Art OR Film OR Classic Literature OR Modern Literature OR Modern Media OR Specific Music Style, Specific Period of Earth History OR Solar Union History, Vallstein History*, Revolution Ideals*, Political Science*, Social ecology**, Direct Democracy & Participatory Budgeting**, Community Development and Organizing Worker's Cooperatives**

-Bookchin

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jan 23, 2018

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
2. The Sovereign Wealth Fund Act, submitted by Minister Radek. - AYE
4. The Census Extension Act, an amendment to the prior passed Census Act, submitted by Minister Danube. - AYE

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
The Tariff Abolition Act submitted by the Freedom Stability Party - NAY
The Sovereign Wealth Fund Act, submitted by Minister Radek. - AYE
The Budget Bill for April 3062 submitted by Prime Minister Luxembourg - AYE
The Census Extension Act, an amendment to the prior passed Census Act, submitted by Minister Danube. - AYE
The Bootstrap Act, submitted by Arthur Subtallier. - AYE

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Silvia Collins, a Guardian Council appointment, addresses Parliament:

"I would like to question the Minister of Education's modifications to the mandatory education curriculum. First of all, I question the ability of public shools to properly teach subjects such as Organizing Worker Cooperatives and Participatory Budgets when they have never been practiced in Sirta. Who will be teaching these subjects? What experience will they be drawing on? These additions to the curriculum could end up being harmful, with unqualified teachers conveying false impressions of reality to our students. I think it makes much more sense, if these subjects are important to the government's agenda, to first try them out in reality - organize worker cooperatives, study the settlements that choose People's Assemblies as their preferred method of local government in the upcoming referendum, and so on. Otherwise, any learning materials will only be speculative.

Another, far more severe problem, is turning the history of the Vallstein administration into an optional subject. I can't overstate the importance of teaching future generations the circumstances that led to Vallstein's rise and the factors that let him turn the government into a repressive mechanism designed to keep him in power. We must ensure that a similar situation is not allowed to happen in the future, that no one lets a corrupt and authoritarian style of government pass unchallenged. In order to accomplish this, we must make certain that every student learns the lessons of our past, so that the same mistakes aren't repeated in the future. I request that the history of the Vallstein administration returns to its' previous status as a mandatory subject at the upper level of basic education."

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Comrade Bookchin replies to Parliament:

"I welcome the concerns of Silvia Collins, and would wish to address them. These ideas may be unheard of or not accomplished in Sirta, but there are significant reading and educational materials we have from from Earth's past including successful applications of worker's co-ops and participatory budgeting, that can be used to teach the subjects. We are hoping to use the next year or so to train teachers that are already teaching civics or political science to teach these subjects, no more than what was needed to be teaching Vallstein History or Revolutionary Ideals.

As for your request to change back Vallstein History, I question the need when the mandatory Revolutionary Ideals class is certainly suited to teach students to be vigilant against tyranny."

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
SIRTRAK and TRC Confirmation Votes (March 3062):

Nominees:

SIRTRAK Board – Prime Minister Luxemburg, Minister Radek, Justice Kropotkin, Minister ReSeAu Gen, Moana Kawehi

Truth and Reconciliation Commission – Minister Hill, Justice Marta Kayembe, Member Jessica Ramsey, Masamba Ife, Member Rachel Hoffman, Bruce Kaufman, Mila Newell.

Party Breakdown:

* SRLF:
## Prime Minister Luxemburg (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 18, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Minister Radek (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 18, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Justice Kropotkin (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 18, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Minister ReSeAu Gen (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 18, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Moana Kawehi (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 18, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Minister Hill (TRC) – Confirm 18, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Justice Marta Kayembe (TRC) – Confirm 18, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Member Jessica Ramsey (TRC) – Confirm 18, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Masamba Ife (TRC) – Confirm 18, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Member Rachel Hoffman (TRC) – Confirm 18, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Bruce Kaufman (TRC) – Confirm 18, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Mila Newell (TRC) – Confirm 18, Abstain 0, Reject 0

* Dawn:
## Prime Minister Luxemburg (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 9, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Minister Radek (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 9, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Justice Kropotkin (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 9, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Minister ReSeAu Gen (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 9, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Moana Kawehi (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 9, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Minister Hill (TRC) – Confirm 9, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Justice Marta Kayembe (TRC) – Confirm 9, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Member Jessica Ramsey (TRC) – Confirm 9, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Masamba Ife (TRC) – Confirm 9, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Member Rachel Hoffman (TRC) – Confirm 9, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Bruce Kaufman (TRC) – Confirm 9, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Mila Newell (TRC) – Confirm 9, Abstain 0, Reject 0

* UCS:
## Prime Minister Luxemburg (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 6, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Minister Radek (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 6, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Justice Kropotkin (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 3, Abstain 0, Reject 3
## Minister ReSeAu Gen (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 5, Abstain 1, Reject 0
## Moana Kawehi (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 6, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Minister Hill (TRC) – Confirm 6, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Justice Marta Kayembe (TRC) – Confirm 3, Abstain 0, Reject 3
## Member Jessica Ramsey (TRC) – Confirm 6, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Masamba Ife (TRC) – Confirm 6, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Member Rachel Hoffman (TRC) – Confirm 3, Abstain 3, Reject 0
## Bruce Kaufman (TRC) – Confirm 3, Abstain 3, Reject 0
## Mila Newell (TRC) – Confirm 3, Abstain 3, Reject 0

* FDG:
## Justice Kropotkin (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 6, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Minister ReSeAu Gen (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 6, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Justice Marta Kayembe (TRC) – Confirm 6, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Member Rachel Hoffman (TRC) – Confirm 6, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Bruce Kaufman (TRC) – Confirm 6, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Mila Newell (TRC) – Confirm 6, Abstain 0, Reject 0

* DAL:
## Justice Kropotkin (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 6, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Minister ReSeAu Gen (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 6, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Justice Marta Kayembe (TRC) – Confirm 6, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Member Rachel Hoffman (TRC) – Confirm 6, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Bruce Kaufman (TRC) – Confirm 6, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Mila Newell (TRC) – Confirm 6, Abstain 0, Reject 0

* FSP:
## Prime Minister Luxemburg (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 0, Abstain 0, Reject 3
## Minister Radek (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 0, Abstain 0, Reject 3
## Justice Kropotkin (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 0, Abstain 0, Reject 3
## Minister ReSeAu Gen (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 3, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Moana Kawehi (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 0, Abstain 0, Reject 3
## Minister Hill (TRC) – Confirm 0, Abstain 0, Reject 3
## Justice Marta Kayembe (TRC) – Confirm 3, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Member Jessica Ramsey (TRC) – Confirm 3, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Masamba Ife (TRC) – Confirm 0, Abstain 0, Reject 3
## Member Rachel Hoffman (TRC) – Confirm 0, Abstain 3, Reject 0
## Bruce Kaufman (TRC) – Confirm 0, Abstain 3, Reject 0
## Mila Newell (TRC) – Confirm 0, Abstain 3, Reject 0

* Unity Coalition:
## Prime Minister Luxemburg (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 3, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Minister Radek (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 3, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Justice Kropotkin (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 3, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Moana Kawehi (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 3, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Minister Hill (TRC) – Confirm 3, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Masamba Ife (TRC) – Confirm 3, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Member Rachel Hoffman (TRC) – Confirm 3, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Bruce Kaufman (TRC) – Confirm 3, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Mila Newell (TRC) – Confirm 3, Abstain 0, Reject 0

* KNK:
## Prime Minister Luxemburg (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 0, Abstain 0, Reject 3
## Minister Radek (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 0, Abstain 0, Reject 3
## Justice Kropotkin (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 0, Abstain 0, Reject 3
## Minister ReSeAu Gen (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 0, Abstain 0, Reject 3
## Moana Kawehi (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 0, Abstain 0, Reject 3
## Minister Hill (TRC) – Confirm 0, Abstain 0, Reject 3
## Justice Marta Kayembe (TRC) – Confirm 0, Abstain 0, Reject 3
## Member Jessica Ramsey (TRC) – Confirm 0, Abstain 0, Reject 3
## Masamba Ife (TRC) – Confirm 0, Abstain 0, Reject 3
## Member Rachel Hoffman (TRC) – Confirm 0, Abstain 0, Reject 3
## Bruce Kaufman (TRC) – Confirm 0, Abstain 0, Reject 3
## Mila Newell (TRC) – Confirm 0, Abstain 0, Reject 3

* The Community:
## Prime Minister Luxemburg (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 3, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Minister Radek (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 3, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Justice Kropotkin (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 3, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Moana Kawehi (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 3, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Minister Hill (TRC) – Confirm 3, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Masamba Ife (TRC) – Confirm 3, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Member Rachel Hoffman (TRC) – Confirm 3, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Bruce Kaufman (TRC) – Confirm 3, Abstain 0, Reject 0
## Mila Newell (TRC) – Confirm 3, Abstain 0, Reject 0

* VM:
## Prime Minister Luxemburg (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 0, Abstain 3, Reject 0
## Minister Radek (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 0, Abstain 3, Reject 0
## Justice Kropotkin (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 0, Abstain 3, Reject 0
## Minister ReSeAu Gen (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 0, Abstain 3, Reject 0
## Moana Kawehi (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 0, Abstain 3, Reject 0
## Minister Hill (TRC) – Confirm 0, Abstain 3, Reject 0
## Justice Marta Kayembe (TRC) – Confirm 0, Abstain 3, Reject 0
## Member Jessica Ramsey (TRC) – Confirm 0, Abstain 3, Reject 0
## Masamba Ife (TRC) – Confirm 0, Abstain 3, Reject 0
## Member Rachel Hoffman (TRC) – Confirm 0, Abstain 3, Reject 0
## Bruce Kaufman (TRC) – Confirm 0, Abstain 3, Reject 0
## Mila Newell (TRC) – Confirm 0, Abstain 3, Reject 0

Guardian Council Appointments:

* Vera Albright:
## Prime Minister Luxemburg (SIRTRAK) – Confirm
## Minister Radek (SIRTRAK) – Confirm
## Justice Kropotkin (SIRTRAK) – Confirm
## Minister ReSeAu Gen (SIRTRAK) – Confirm
## Moana Kawehi (SIRTRAK) – Confirm
## Minister Hill (TRC) – Confirm
## Justice Marta Kayembe (TRC) – Confirm
## Member Jessica Ramsey (TRC) – Confirm
## Masamba Ife (TRC) – Confirm
## Member Rachel Hoffman (TRC) – Confirm
## Bruce Kaufman (TRC) – Confirm
## Mila Newell (TRC) – Confirm

* Thomas Gill:
## Member Rachel Hoffman (TRC) – Abstain
## Bruce Kaufman (TRC) – Abstain
## Mila Newell (TRC) – Abstain

* Frank Probst:

* Lucia Caldera:

* Sander Hansen:

* Lisa Wyatt:

* William Viner:
## Prime Minister Luxemburg (SIRTRAK) – Abstain
## Minister Radek (SIRTRAK) – Abstain
## Justice Kropotkin (SIRTRAK) – Abstain
## Minister ReSeAu Gen (SIRTRAK) – Abstain
## Moana Kawehi (SIRTRAK) – Abstain
## Member Rachel Hoffman (TRC) – Reject
## Bruce Kaufman (TRC) – Reject
## Mila Newell (TRC) – Reject

* Roger Rockwell:

* Janet Oliphant:

* Silvia Collins:

* Rachel Hoffman:

* Paul Thiede:

* Della Jalbert:

* Sofia Juhl:

* Jade Ross:

Citizen Seats:

* Rutherford T. Vanderbush:
## Minister Radek (SIRTRAK) – Reject
## Justice Kropotkin (SIRTRAK) – Reject
## Justice Marta Kayembe (TRC) – Reject

* Jessica Ramsey:

* Susanne Brandt:

* Autumn Black:
## Minister Hill (TRC) – Abstain
## Justice Marta Kayembe (TRC) – Abstain
## Member Jessica Ramsey (TRC) – Abstain
## Masamba Ife (TRC) – Abstain

* Grace Wright:

Overall:

## Prime Minister Luxemburg (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 66, Abstain 8, Reject 6
## Minister Radek (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 65, Abstain 8, Reject 7
## Justice Kropotkin (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 62, Abstain 8, Reject 10
## Minister ReSeAu Gen (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 68, Abstain 9, Reject 3
## Moana Kawehi (SIRTRAK) – Confirm 66, Abstain 8, Reject 6
## Minister Hill (TRC) – Confirm 70, Abstain 4, Reject 6
## Justice Marta Kayembe (TRC) – Confirm 69, Abstain 4, Reject 7
## Member Jessica Ramsey (TRC) – Confirm 73, Abstain 4, Reject 3
## Masamba Ife (TRC) – Confirm 70, Abstain 4, Reject 6
## Member Rachel Hoffman (TRC) – Confirm 58, Abstain 18, Reject 4
## Bruce Kaufman (TRC) – Confirm 58, Abstain 18, Reject 4
## Mila Newell (TRC) – Confirm 58, Abstain 18, Reject 4

Outcome:

All nominees confirmed for their designated positions.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
The Community changes its vote on the Sovereign Wealth Fund Act from Aye to Nay

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
The Unity Coalition slate, commentary by Arthur Subtallier

1. The Tariff Abolition Act submitted by the Freedom Stability Party - ABSTAIN.
We need some analysis on the impact this will have on the Sirtan people, if it will depress local production and put Sirtan livelihoods at risk, or if it will create opportunities for our people. Until we can judge from a position of knowledge we are in no place to do so.

2. The Sovereign Wealth Fund Act, submitted by Minister Radek. - NAY.
This opens the door for potential graft down the line. It needs oversight, checks and balances to prevent that. We will accede to a future modified bill which covers this satisfactorily.

We are obliged to continue our service for the People.

Given the financial situation, reasonable.

Everything we can do to give opportunities to improve lives should be done.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

1. The Tariff Abolition Act - NAY. I agree that free trade should be something we should strive for, but outright abolishing tariffs is wildly premature at this point.

2. The Sovereign Wealth Fund Act - NAY. I understand the intent, but this bill is incredibly poorly written, with no mechanism for oversight. I cannot possibly support it.

3. The Budget Bill for April 3062 - AYE, but I would like to request that as we are presently running a surplus, that we should attempt in the future to establish a longer-term budget, and use our surplus to cover shortfalls. We can only go month-to-month for so long.

4. The Census Extension Act - AYE

5. The Bootstrap Act - CONDITIONAL AYE, assuming that the SBO score is within reason.

-------

I would also like to take the opportunity to express my concerns on the proposed curriculum. Education should prepare our children with the skillsets they'll need to succeed, and the ability to think critically. The SRLF, it pains me to say, appear to be viewing this as an opportunity to mold our nations' children to their own way of thinking. I do not doubt that they come by that honestly, and that they truly believe their vision for society is the best way forward, but I cannot support this method of going about it. If you wish for workers collectives to be a thing, then establish them. If you wish for direct democracy and communes to be the law of the land, then propose them in Parliament. And if these efforts do not succeed, then go back and build further support for your party's ideals, with your party's own resources. Do not impose mandatory education in institutions that Sirta does not presently have, and has not historically had! Show first that your ideals can stand on their merits.

I agree with Representative Collins that the proper lens for our children to be educated on the Revolution is through a historical one. Show them the factors that lead to Vallstein's rise and fall, and the individual, concrete failings of his administration. The varied reasons that people chose to rise up against Greene. I would furthermore propose that "Revolution Ideals" and "Social Ecology" be integrated into a more generalized Philosophy offering, to allow Sirta's youth to be exposed to a wide variety of outlooks and ideas, to learn what they have to offer and make their own decisions. The public school system is not the proper place for what the SRLF is doint.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Comrade Radek
Minister of Security

I understand the concerns raised about the SWF Act, and after discussions with my party will be happy to change my vote to no in the short run. As the primary goal was to secure a place to store our surplus against an uncertain future, the exact means by which we do it are immaterial, and several good points have been raised. Let not our haste make waste, in this case.

As to the attacks on the new curriculum from reactionary elements, the fact remains that the common people of Sirta have long been the economic, social, and philosophical...let us say underlings for a class which our distinguished Foreign Minister was a leading element. This is not new by any means, a state of affairs that was long status-quo even before Valstein came to power. We do not seek to purely educate the people of Sirta to reassume their place as cogs in the machine! No! We seek nothing less than giving every student the tools they will need to assume their rightful place in society, the workplace, and government. The separate matter regarding the status of Valstein History is a different matter, and one which I believe there is some room for debate on, though I must admit not being all too sure as to the difference between that and Recent Sirtan History.

Furthermore, these criticisms seem a bit late - the criticized provisions are now statue, as provided by the duly and overwhelmingly passed SISTER Act. Our dear Comrade Minister is merely putting the law into effect - perhaps the proper time to raise these surely "come to honestly" objections was then?

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 21, 2017

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Comrade Bookchin replies to Parliament:

"I welcome the concerns of Silvia Collins, and would wish to address them. These ideas may be unheard of or not accomplished in Sirta, but there are significant reading and educational materials we have from from Earth's past including successful applications of worker's co-ops and participatory budgeting, that can be used to teach the subjects."

"I didn't intend to suggest that teachers must have first-hand experience in these subjects, though I understand how you could get that from my wording. What I meant was that our country doesn't have experience with worker's cooperatives and direct democracy, and that it would be a poor idea to start teaching things that, to us now, are purely theoretical as if they were practical aids to our students' future. By all means, encourage the formation of workers' cooperatives and learn what you can from the settlements that choose to implement Peoples' Assemblies, but including these subjects in a mandatory curriculum is extremely premature at this stage."

HiHo ChiRho posted:

As for your request to change back Vallstein History, I question the need when the mandatory Revolutionary Ideals class is certainly suited to teach students to be vigilant against tyranny.

"With all due respect Minister, this is an absurd notion. While teaching ideals is certainly important, the best way to teach that particular lesson is through example. The Vallstein administration is still relatively recent. I think you would agree that it has profound and readily apparent consequences on every facet of most citizens' lives to this day. Teaching students the causes and enabling factors of autocracy in this particular context is a necessity for ensuring the longevity of our new post-revolution society. Recent history has a blunt and direct way of teaching lessons that relatively abstract ideals can't even begin to approach. On the other hand, ideals are necessary to provide a framework through which to view that history. Both subjects are absolutely vital to creating well informed and politically aware future generations. There is no reason to make any of them optional."

sniper4625 posted:

Comrade Radek
Minister of Security

Furthermore, these criticisms seem a bit late - the criticized provisions are now statue, as provided by the duly and overwhelmingly passed SISTER Act. Our dear Comrade Minister is merely putting the law into effect - perhaps the proper time to raise these surely "come to honestly" objections was then?

"I am sure that, as one of the most prolific legislators in our young Parliament, you understand that because these changes were packaged in with obligations to open free trade schools and make education tuition free, which were far more significant, as well as being presented during the chaotic and sensitive period of coalition negotiations, they received less attention than they should have. Regardless, laws can be amended. Being a matter of law shouldn't shield these changes from criticism."

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 21, 2017

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

1. The Tariff Abolition Act submitted by the Freedom Stability Party - AYE
2. The Sovereign Wealth Fund Act, submitted by Minister Radek. - NAY
3. The Budget Bill for April 3062 submitted by Prime Minister Luxembourg - NAY
5. The Bootstrap Act, submitted by Arthur Subtallier. - NAY

I also oppose the fact that the government wishes to introduce blatant SDLF propaganda into our schools. Teaching recent history instead tells our children about All the different contributions to the revolution made by differ groups, not just a whitewashing in which the CLF sweeps to victory of its own accord, as the SDLF would want us to believe.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 21, 2017

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I think you'll find that I did object at the time, thank you very much. And I continue to object, both to the curriculum--under the proposal nearly half of upper-level education consists of classes that amount to variations on "SRLF Ideology"--and to your characterization of me and my motives. You do not have a monopoly on participation in the Revolution. No, I was not on the front lines, as many brave Sirtans were. But like the esteemed Mr. Knapfstein, I do believe that my contributions were nonetheless valuable to its success. Let us see your ideals in practice before you go teaching them as gospel in our schools.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

2. The Sovereign Wealth Fund Act, submitted by Minister Radek. - NAY

After further reflection, I believe a NAY vote on the SWF Act is most prudent. Valid concerns about oversight and vague wording have been raised, and I believe that while the idea may be sound, this specific act is not.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

"I didn't intend to suggest that teachers must have first-hand experience in these subjects, though I understand how you could get that from my wording. What I meant was that our country doesn't have experience with worker's cooperatives and direct democracy, and that it would be a poor idea to start teaching things that, to us now, are purely theoretical as if they were practical aids to our students' future. By all means, encourage the formation of workers' cooperatives and learn what you can from the settlements that choose to implement Peoples' Assemblies, but including these subjects in a mandatory curriculum is extremely premature at this stage."

"I must reject your notion here, but I appreciate the concerns you have. It is safe to say that our educational institutions are more than merely places to instill knowledge in students. They are also places for students to practice what they learned and experiment in new thoughts in what is a safe environment. We are provided with a unique opportunity to revolutionize our education system and break the mold. To better our students to critically think, and to be more politically involved than their parents or grandparents. These ideas are unique in the sense that the application for some of these is left for those working on it to decide. Let them learn together how to collaborate and debate together in mock experiments with no real world consequences. We then gain experience in our country as a whole to help provide for future generation's education."

"With all due respect Minister, this is an absurd notion. While teaching ideals is certainly important, the best way to teach that particular lesson is through example. The Vallstein administration is still relatively recent. I think you would agree that it has profound and readily apparent consequences on every facet of most citizens' lives to this day. Teaching students the causes and enabling factors of autocracy in this particular context is a necessity for ensuring the longevity of our new post-revolution society. Recent history has a blunt and direct way of teaching lessons that relatively abstract ideals can't even begin to approach. On the other hand, ideals are necessary to provide a framework through which to view that history. Both subjects are absolutely vital to creating well informed and politically aware future generations. There is no reason to make any of them optional."

"I must concede the point here to Member Collins. We will revert our decision and keep Vallstein History as mandatory."

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

NAY. While I believe the promotion of free trade is crucial to the future prosperity of Sirta, it would be irresponsible to lower our tariffs without using their lowering as a bargaining chip.
2. The Sovereign Wealth Fund Act, submitted by Minister Radek
NAY. The concerns raised by my colleagues are quite legitimate. While I trust Speaker ReSeAu and the finance ministry he's building to invest the funds wisely and impartially, it would be extremely irresponsible to create such a fund without some degree of transparency and oversight.
3. The Budget Bill for April 3062 submitted by Prime Minister Luxembourg
AYE.
4. The Census Extension Act, an amendment to the prior passed Census Act, submitted by Minister Danube
AYE.
5. The Bootstrap Act, submitted by Arthur Subtallier
CONDITIONAL AYE as long as the SBO finds that it costs no more than 2 million per month to fully fund (upfront cost can be anything). I'm leaning towards supporting this, but I would like confirmation that it's not going to be enormously expensive. We're already enormously behind on education funding as it is. Therefore, I echo Member Vanderbush's concerns about cost.