Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Mahoning posted:

My favorite bit is her asking why the cheerleaders have to wear their uniforms but the players don't. I know cheerleaders and players aren't exactly an apples to apples comparison in the NFL but that's a pretty egregious example of sexism in the workplace, especially considering that they told a woman who dared ask a question about it to be quiet and not to ask those kind of questions.

The problem is that 90% of the article is a pretty demonstrative display of entitlement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Mahoning posted:

My favorite bit is her asking why the cheerleaders have to wear their uniforms but the players don't. I know cheerleaders and players aren't exactly an apples to apples comparison in the NFL but that's a pretty egregious example of sexism in the workplace, especially considering that they told a woman who dared ask a question about it to be quiet and not to ask those kind of questions.

Cheerleader is one of those things with a long history of funneling attractive young women (without necessarily much means themselves) into the social spheres of rich men (the ballet did this for at least a century, waitress/hostess at an expensive restaurants/bars, Beauty Pageants, apparently most of Hollywood).

It must require a remarkable amount of cognitive dissonance to hire cheerleaders then pretend they aren't there to be sexually attractive. I think nowadays teams are getting over this by calling them dance teams and trying to focus on that. But I doubt there's some sorta end-goal where cheerleaders are hired for their ability to cheer and everything else is irrelevant.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I know the Packers ditched theirs years ago, and now use the cheer squads from two local colleges.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

EvanTH posted:

Cheerleader is one of those things with a long history of funneling attractive young women (without necessarily much means themselves) into the social spheres of rich men (the ballet did this for at least a century, waitress/hostess at an expensive restaurants/bars, Beauty Pageants, apparently most of Hollywood).

It must require a remarkable amount of cognitive dissonance to hire cheerleaders then pretend they aren't there to be sexually attractive. I think nowadays teams are getting over this by calling them dance teams and trying to focus on that. But I doubt there's some sorta end-goal where cheerleaders are hired for their ability to cheer and everything else is irrelevant.

Yea, I think the rest of the article is very good and incisive, but the main job of a cheerleader is to be good looking and wear revealing clothing, the uniform is the job. I don't really give a poo poo about cheerleaders at an NFL game, and frankly if they all went away completely I'd be fine, but that is a silly complaint.

I never realized that they had so many temp workers. It makes sense since there is so little to report on for half the year. God I can't imagine trying to get into sports journalism/broadcasting, what a poo poo job that has to be except for the like top 5% or so.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ryen Russillo is walking away from ESPN after being offered an extension

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/943605165537579008

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

If he doesn't wind up at actual barstool I feel like whatever he does next will be barstooly as gently caress

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

She has been on hq this week and it has been amazing.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

There are a million reasons why the Stugotz Show w/ Dan LeBatard is so good but a big one is that they have such a better eye for show friends than your typical show. From the days of having Stan van Gundy to Bomani, to now having Mina, Pablo, Foxworth, Amin etc. the show is really good at targeting people who can significantly contribute. None of them will ever touch the OG guest Greg Cote, who at this point is basically like a 3rd host, but they are still really good at fitting in. Except for Sarah Spain who now fits out and just yells at everybody and acts like a Chicago bro.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I miss Stan and Bomani, they are impossible to replace

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

BWV posted:

There are a million reasons why the Stugotz Show w/ Dan LeBatard is so good but a big one is that they have such a better eye for show friends than your typical show. From the days of having Stan van Gundy to Bomani, to now having Mina, Pablo, Foxworth, Amin etc. the show is really good at targeting people who can significantly contribute. None of them will ever touch the OG guest Greg Cote, who at this point is basically like a 3rd host, but they are still really good at fitting in. Except for Sarah Spain who now fits out and just yells at everybody and acts like a Chicago bro.

and don't forget the celebrity friends like Pat Sajak, Kenny G, Method Man, and others who get the show.

also Greg Cote Tuesdays should be a national holiday, even if he does not come armed with Back In My Day, Soup Du Jour, a Lobos Update, or manages to avoid the HNO all three times

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Dick Enberg has passed away, according to close friends.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
drat. Dick Enberg was one of those broadcasters that if you’re over the age of like 30, he’s pretty much the sound of most sports from your childhood. Football, baseball, basketball, golf, tennis, the olympics. Didn’t matter, he did it. The last couple years before he retired I would throw Padres games on every once in awhile just to hear his voice.

Dude was an absolute titan of sports broadcasting. Would absolutely belong on a sports broadcasting Mount Rushmore.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mahoning posted:

Dude was an absolute titan of sports broadcasting. Would absolutely belong on a sports broadcasting Mount Rushmore.

Hmm, something like:

Vin Scully, Dick Enberg, Al Michaels, and who?

Howard Cosell seems a likely fourth but...well...that didn't end well. Oh Pat Summerall. Or Keith Jackson.

e: Jack Buck? His son sucks to one degree or another but he was really good.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Keith Jackson would probably fit. I know in his late career he did college football almost exclusively but dude did EVERYTHING for ABC Sports in the late 60’s through the 70’s and 80’s.

I also can’t believe that he’s still kickin. When did they bring him into the booth for the Rose Bowl? A few years ago maybe? He was obviously old as poo poo but man, that voice.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Mahoning posted:

Keith Jackson would probably fit. I know in his late career he did college football almost exclusively but dude did EVERYTHING for ABC Sports in the late 60’s through the 70’s and 80’s.

I also can’t believe that he’s still kickin. When did they bring him into the booth for the Rose Bowl? A few years ago maybe? He was obviously old as poo poo but man, that voice.

Apparently 2006 for the Rose Bowl.

He's 89 now.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

He's 89 now.

He called it in 06 but they brought him in as a guest either last year or two years ago and it was incredibly depressing

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

RC and Moon Pie posted:

He's 89 now.

No I think that was the last game he did, but I'm talking about some time in the last few years where they just brought him into the booth for a little bit just to chat with him.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Bob Costas and the Albert Brothers

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

He called it in 06 but they brought him in as a guest either last year or two years ago and it was incredibly depressing

Yeah he couldn't follow anything. Still had the voice, but just wasn't there mentally :(

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
It was actually last year's Rose Bowl. I think they honored him. And it was the first college football game he attended since the 06 Rose Bowl.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The 06 Rose Bowl was about as perfect an ending as any broadcaster could have asked for

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

MourningView posted:

The 06 Rose Bowl was about as perfect an ending as any broadcaster could have asked for

I agree! Let's see what Keith Jackson has to say about it!

quote:

As exciting as that national championship game was 11 years ago, Jackson remembers the miscues. He was surprised Reggie Bush wasn’t on the field at some critical moments, and he was disappointed by defensive and officiating breakdowns.

“All those things sort of took some glow out of the dance,” he said. “Really, in hindsight, it was not one of the great games of all time.”

:oh:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I loved college Reggie Bush but people being upset that USC used one of the best power runners in the county instead of the 190 pound guy on a 4th and 2 is so loving weird. White was really good! He had 120 yards and 3 TDs on 6 yards a carry in that game.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Hmm, something like:

Vin Scully, Dick Enberg, Al Michaels, and who?

Howard Cosell seems a likely fourth but...well...that didn't end well. Oh Pat Summerall. Or Keith Jackson.

e: Jack Buck? His son sucks to one degree or another but he was really good.

Jim McKay probably

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I was at the 06 Rose Bowl, and can say without a doubt Keith Jackson is wrong.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The NFL will not do a Sunday Night football broadcast on New Year's Eve because unlike the CFP Committee, the NFL at least realizes that nobody gives a poo poo about watching football on New Year's Eve.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/945368659593019392

E: already deleted it

trem_two fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 25, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I hope this isn't self-parody.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/Hegelbon/status/492741034749620224

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Timeless.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/jessespector/status/913097176074657797

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shout out to Lisa Salters, who woke up yesterday in Baltimore to have Christmas with her son, then went up to New York to sideline report the Knicks/Sixers game, then got to Philadelphia to sideline report the MNF Eagles/Raiders game.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
You see, there aren’t more women in positions of power because women just don’t work as hard as men. :jerkbag:

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

This is really impressive but also she really shouldn't have to do that

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Mahoning posted:

You see, there aren’t more women in positions of power because women just don’t work as hard as men. :jerkbag:

I don't understand? Are you saying this article is furthering a misogynistic construction since they find it exceptional and newsworthy when a woman travels and works on a holiday?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

EvanTH posted:

I don't understand? Are you saying this article is furthering a misogynistic construction since they find it exceptional and newsworthy when a woman travels and works on a holiday?

i think he's saying (through use of sarcasm) that the article is an example of a woman working just as hard as a man, thus disproving that old (false) adage.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://deadspin.com/why-wont-the-fcc-let-orphan-counties-watch-their-local-1821328307

This is an interesting article about Western Massachussets, where they don't get Patriots games on TV due to being close to Albany. There are also some other examples:

quote:

“Much of western Wisconsin only gets Minnesota TV,” Kirby explained in an email. “Central New Jersey gets NYC or Philly, but rarely both; parts of east Texas get TV from Shreveport, which means they get Saints games over the Cowboys.”

“Parts of Ohio get TV from West Virginia,” Kirby added, “and they always air Steelers games over Browns or Bengals (though that might not be a bad thing!)”

It's a bit confusing and there doesn't seem to be a solution coming any time soon.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I don’t really know of anywhere in ohio that gets the Steelers games that isn’t geographically closer to Pittsburgh anyway.

And most of those places are getting Pittsburgh’s CBS channel because it’s the closest major metro area. The only place that might have a complaint is the Marietta area but even then it’s predominantly Pittsburgh fans anyway.

The biggest crock of poo poo is that the Pirates are still blacked out in Columbus on mlb.tv. Outside of nationally televised games, there’s literally no legal way to watch the Pirates in Columbus without using a VPN. If you get all the sports channels on satellite, they blackout Pirates games there too.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wisconsin is weird because the NFL classifies Milwaukee as part of GB's market. By the traditional definition, Milwaukee is well outside the blackout radius, but because A. they used to play games down here, and B. Green Bay is a tiny rear end market, they gave the Packers two (not that it matters, every game is a sellout and the waiting list for tickets is a 9001 miles long).