Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

SelenicMartian posted:

Meanwhile we can all kill time buying poo poo we don't need in the Steam sale.

fallout 4 vr isnt on sale and about the only thing I really wanted. But it is a buggy piece of poo poo though. Skyrim did get good reviews on ps4(but wont come out on pc for 6 months), DoomVR got mixed reviews but I didnt enjoy the 2d so I didnt bother and I already have a bunch of shooters and serious sam vr games. Other than that there isnt much in the sale I am after. Others have games they are after other than new tanks and an idris?

https://i.imgur.com/o6buAYJ.mp4

bun buns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Chalks posted:

I'd love to know how much money was wasted paying a-list celebs to waddle around in those mocap suits for no reason.

they all did it for free, for the chance to work with roberts*

* a percentage of net profits for a game that will technically never make a "profit" (those were pledges, not sales!)

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

SelenicMartian posted:

I bought a bunch of DLC for Europa Universalis IV. Highly recommend. Fantastic game.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

SelenicMartian posted:

I've been blissfully unaware of any steam sale. I may have to get to a pc and throw some money at games I'll never play.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

That was no Mark Hamill, do you think that old man Mark can still go slide down the ladder?

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Get this, guys: I have inside sources that have confirmed that neither SQ42 nor Star Citizen will come out in 2018!!!1!!

Get scooped, backers! Totally unexpected outta left field!

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

intardnation posted:

Chris will take off his wig and say the game is great and did so for the sake of transparency. Shitzens will applaud and pledge more - media will herald in new era of development.

I would totally Miku pledge for his wig! It would look radical on my cat

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

juggalo baby coffin posted:

also that odesnt even look remotely like mark hamill

I mean, is this really the hill y’all wanna die on?

It looks fine man. I’m gonna go ahead and stick to the narrative that fidelity isn’t worth a gently caress. Write a good story with interesting characters, keep your story vague so as not to restrict player agency, keep the on-rails storytelling devices to a minimum, and above all else, never, ever, EVER force people to watch cutscenes.

The point is, Star Citizen’s problems a structural and philosophical. Yeah, it’s funny how “pretty good” this looks when compared with what Chris has promised. But it doesn’t look bad, and the renders definitely look like Mark Hamill.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
So apparently Roberts just found out about World of Tanks then?

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
This should have been predictable, as Chris was in no way going to let The Last Jedi upstage his magnum opus.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

alphabettitouretti posted:

My dream is to be the guy in the 'verse tasked with polishing Mark "Oldman-not-gary-oldman" Hamill's guns with what looks like a kitchen sponge.

There's nothing suggestive about this at all get your mind out of the gutter.

Pretty sure I saw “Fluffer” as one of the jobs you can do. :fap:

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

BTW; that sliding down the stairs bit is lifted from a Jackie Chan film.

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

The Titanic posted:

Pretty sure I saw “Fluffer” as one of the jobs you can do. :fap:

Thanks....I just got an image in my head of having to fluff Sandi

uuuulllp.....where's that air sickness bag :barf:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Even knowing that guy is supposed to be Mark Hamill, I still don't see it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Toops posted:

It looks fine man. I’m gonna go ahead and stick to the narrative that fidelity isn’t worth a gently caress. Write a good story with interesting characters, keep your story vague so as not to restrict player agency, keep the on-rails storytelling devices to a minimum, and above all else, never, ever, EVER force people to watch cutscenes.

The point is, Star Citizen’s problems a structural and philosophical. Yeah, it’s funny how “pretty good” this looks when compared with what Chris has promised. But it doesn’t look bad, and the renders definitely look like Mark Hamill.

If I hadn't known about the project and saw cpt old man in the trailer I wouldn't have known it was supposed to be Hamil. In contrast, I hadn't played any modern warfare and when I saw that pic of Spacey I knew it was him.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Chalks posted:

I'd love to know how much money was wasted paying a-list celebs to waddle around in those mocap suits for no reason.

I don't know the rates of a-list actors, but if it was b-listers it be hard to do with single-digit millions of dollars for a cast of that size. I wouldn't be surprised if 20-40 million $ has been spent on this. I would be surprised if royalties/percentages is anything but trivial or non-existent as part of the contracts. If Chris managed to get them onboard primarily on royalties, that's probably the most impressive thing he's done ever.

Edit: About Hamill's resemblance to the character, I think it is pretty good actually. The facial mannerisms are obvious, I actually like how they haven't just done a carbon-copy of his face, but used it as the basis of a unique character. The letdown is in the shading and the odd choice of "idle" animation for the face, with a weirdly half-open, slanted mouth. The actual character modelling is not bad at all, and if I saw this in the portfolio of a character modelling job applicant, I would consider it a positive.

PederP fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 21, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

alphabettitouretti posted:

Hope we get a follow-up scene where Mark realises he actually does need to know your name for the purposes of issuing commands in combat and there's an awkward radio conversation where he tries to pretend like he's not trying to find out.

Well done Chris Roberts you managed to hire a universally beloved actor known for starring in the biggest movie franchise in existence and written him as an unlikeable and reckless douchebag. You useless loving hack.

Making Hamill either not a lovable guy, or a hilariously over the top tongue in cheek super villain, is a crime.

Also having any characters that treat the main character like crap for no reason isn’t immersive. This isn’t Full Metal Jacket the video game where you actually are Gomer Pile. At this point in the game, your character should pretty much be Malcolm Reynolds/Han Solo or a lot of nerds will be pissed off. Being “sparky the newbie scrub” is going to ruin a lot of those immersive character bios people have painstakingly authored up.

Ideally the game should almost be like Skyrim, where your character is just some non-descriptive entity that does stuff and answers questions without an actual voice. That’s the best option to appease the hardcore role player crowd.

But alas, Chris Roberts has a story to tell, and to hell with the feelings of the people who funded him. :)

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Toops posted:

- They don't have the same clothes
- They don't have the same haircut or even the same hair color
- One's eyes are black the other not

Shall I continue ?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

intardnation posted:

fallout 4 vr isnt on sale and about the only thing I really wanted.

TBH Fallout 4 would probably have been a more memorable game with endless :barf:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Alan Smithee posted:

can we start up a bookie betting on what they will sell next?

I say they will sell sexbots ala the weird rabbit guy with the crossbow

someone post it for posterity

I honestly figured it’d be buildings and apartments and such. Defenses for your land.

loving tanks came out of nowhere. :allears:

This is the magic that makes Star Citizen the best game ever to not actually ever play.

hardycore
Nov 4, 2009
it breaks my heart we wont ever get another live demo disaster reel like in august

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Zzr posted:

- They don't have the same clothes
- They don't have the same haircut or even the same hair color
- One's eyes are black the other not

Shall I continue ?

Yeah, you should. It sounds like nit-picking. I mean poo poo man, sometimes in movies actors wear makeup and wigs, and look slightly different than how you remember them in the original star wars movies... I think it looks vaguely like Hamill, at least enough so that I can just kind of ignore it.

What's exponentially worse (IMO) is how bad the camera work is, how bad the dialog is, and how utterly pointless this whole scene is in context of a space game where you, the "player" supposedly "plays" the "game" by "flying space ships" and shooting bad guys during "space combat."

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

If I hadn't known about the project and saw cpt old man in the trailer I wouldn't have known it was supposed to be Hamil. In contrast, I hadn't played any modern warfare and when I saw that pic of Spacey I knew it was him.

Then again Mark Hamill is an old dude who hasn't been in any significant films for a couple of decades, with the exception of this last star wars film - but I've seen Spacey in a whole load of stuff. Having not seen that film yet the only reason I even know what he looks like is that loving mocap footage.

It seems they got the head shape pretty badly wrong but I can see his face there. Not that I'd recognise it even if it was pixel perfect without that picture of him with dots and lines drawn all over his beard for reference.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 21, 2017

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

hardycore posted:

it breaks my heart we wont ever get another live demo disaster reel like in august

oh you sweet summer child

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

COMRADES posted:

I liked the Wolf Among Us but I wish Telltale would finish a series because I feel like they have 3-5 of them going and I've been waiting for the next Wolf Among Us since... jfc years now.

All of the old guard left. Telltale isn't Telltale anymore. Just another shell with a game company name.

Don't hold your breath.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Scam Shitizen.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Call of Duty Infinite Warfare came out a year ago and looked far better.

Remember when people were thinking there was stuff competition between CoD:IW and Star Citizen, and the heated race was on? And the CoD:IW came out and Star Citizen didn’t?

Good times!

Remember when people were thinking there was stuff competition between Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen, and the heated race was on? And the Elite Dangerous came out and Star Citizen didn’t?

Good times!

I wonder which game will be the next one to be in a heated race with Star Citizen and what the outcome may be! I’m on pins and needles! :allears:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Nicholas posted:

I know this sounds crazy but a friend who works for CIG just told me that they worked out some sort of cross licensing deal with SEGA? and sonic the hedgehog will be a featured NPC in sq42? Again take this with a grain of salt.

Confirmed by my uncle that works at Nintendo

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Colostomy Bag posted:

What is the correct amalgamation of the words tanks and tane?

Tanke

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Hell, same. I don't know as much about video games development as Toops but IMO Mark Hamill looks melty and bad.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

What is the correct amalgamation of the words tanks and tane?

Dankest.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I think the problem is more with the lighting and directing rather than the actual model and mocap. The lights are way too intense and the skin looks too shiny and fake because of it. Lighting can be very hard to get right and often what you think looks good or right in one context will look very wrong when you add in the scene and environment.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Titanic posted:

Ideally the game should almost be like Skyrim, where your character is just some non-descriptive entity that does stuff and answers questions without an actual voice. That’s the best option to appease the hardcore role player crowd.

Oh man. this made me realize.

All the inner thought and voice responses for a female avatar are going to be Sandi.

Bahahahahahaha!
This is going to be epic.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Tanek

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

big nipples big life posted:

"know what they're doing" might be a bit of a stretch seeing as they made X Rebirth. They patched that into a decent enough game though so I'm hoping all the lessons they learned make it into 4.

Tell us how well “walking around space stations talking to people in first person between trade runs” went for them? Because I hear it’s a big feature in Star Citizen and I hope they do it right. :allears:

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Beet Wagon posted:

Hell, same. I don't know as much about video games development as Toops but IMO Mark Hamill looks melty and bad

also same but who has really seen hamill in the last 30 years. its not a face many people are intimately familiar with, except from when he was much younger

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

PederP posted:

I don't know the rates of a-list actors, but if it was b-listers it be hard to do with single-digit millions of dollars for a cast of that size. I wouldn't be surprised if 20-40 million $ has been spent on this. I would be surprised if royalties/percentages is anything but trivial or non-existent as part of the contracts. If Chris managed to get them onboard primarily on royalties, that's probably the most impressive thing he's done ever.

Figure out what happened to Gary Oldman.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

XK posted:

Figure out what happened to Gary Oldman.

My bet is that they had to change the rigs/face/animation tech and the gary oldman mocap data is no longer usable because they have no way of converting data from the old layout to the new.

Either that or a contract issue.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

When does this stream start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

PST posted:

So apparently Roberts just found out about World of Tanks then?

War Thunder ground support is also a gateway drug for the joystick nerd.