Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

veiled boner fuel posted:

For $99.95 I'll write one and we can see if Spinster will illustrate it?

Goon projects! See my Kickstarter.....

Seriois post: re the arma talk

Go look up Dyslexci on YouTube. He publishes his arma groups games and theybare great looking. I wish I could join them but they've like the vanilla wow levels pf commitment. Interviews, limited spots, x hours of commitment a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

:siren: Today is a live Holiday stream for Star Citizen :siren:

Watch it here: https://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen

The time will be: 12PM PST

Supposedly we'll get to see the squadron 42 trailer, with Mark Hamill.

Also, it seems they're going to be selling a tank. A loving tank in a space game. They're selling land plots, I don't know why I'm surprised.

Here's a pic:

Usually these holiday streams are just a bunch of pre-rendered ,or choreographed, stuff they pretend is actual, real gameplay. They are laughable. So tune in.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I was inspired to update mt SC launcher and give it another go.

What a loving joke. The thing has the frame rate of a slide show, and it crashed four times in ten minutes.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

pc gaming is saved

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I am here for Mark Hammil to look vaguely embarrassed to be in one of Crobert's awful CGI movies.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

spacetoaster posted:

:siren: Today is a live Holiday stream for Star Citizen :siren:

Watch it here: https://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen

The time will be: 12PM PST

Supposedly we'll get to see the squadron 42 trailer, with Mark Hamill.

Also, it seems they're going to be selling a tank. A loving tank in a space game. They're selling land plots, I don't know why I'm surprised.

Here's a pic:

Usually these holiday streams are just a bunch of pre-rendered ,or choreographed, stuff they pretend is actual, real gameplay. They are laughable. So tune in.

That tank looks like somebody glued two early 90 PC mice together

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
the SC launcher in action:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Lack of Gravitas posted:

what in god's name lmao

is it based on chrome

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
just lol if you don't have a 128 CPU cluster to play star citizen the way it's meant to be played. I'm lmaoing at your poverty here.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spacetoaster posted:

According to the Crytek lawsuit, 100% of the stuff they used to promote the game was pre-generated by Crytek. Dunno if that's still the case but it's a fat lol imo.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Lack of Gravitas posted:

I am physically ill.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

food court bailiff posted:

I am physically ill.

There was a guy on reddit who was really mad that he completely destroyed his workplace's 1gbps network by running the SC launcher at the office. It's basically crowdfunded malware at this point.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 21, 2017

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Domar posted:

This video has a detailed explanation of how floats break down at crazy scales in video games. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hdFG2GcNuA
jesus christ that guy made a lot of videos and supporting videos about not pressing a. i imagine he didnt narrate that one because hes taken to holding a gun in his mouth

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Police Automaton posted:

just lol if you don't have a 128 CPU cluster to play star citizen the way it's meant to be played. I'm lmaoing at your poverty here.

I'm honestly a little surprised that they haven't pulled some version of "Oh yeah, it's working great but we're gonna take our time and get it right since in home technology to run the game won't be invented for another eight to ten years".

"Also, who wants to buy a Space Pony?"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Of course it looks laughable 20 years on, but at the time the Wing Commander games had pretty insane system requirements compared to even high-end PCs at the time. I remember at the time wondering who had EIGHT MEGS of RAM to run WC3, come on. My friend had the "recommended" PC (a PENTIUM ONE HUNDRED with 8 megs) and the load/prerender times before each mission were literally in the tens of minutes.

So optimized bloat that requires a PC that will be common in several years is pretty much croberts.bat as far as system requirements go.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Of course it looks laughable 20 years on, but at the time the Wing Commander games had pretty insane system requirements compared to even high-end PCs at the time. I remember at the time wondering who had EIGHT MEGS of RAM to run WC3, come on. My friend had the "recommended" PC (a PENTIUM ONE HUNDRED with 8 megs) and the load/prerender times before each mission were literally in the tens of minutes.

So optimized bloat that requires a PC that will be common in several years is pretty much croberts.bat as far as system requirements go.

Making an unoptimized pile that cant be played by modern computers for 5 years is cool though

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"There's nothing wrong with Star Citizen you just can't run it properly." :smug:

*proper hardware won't exist for 8 years*

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Like being insanely autistic about lunchroom animations is also cool. You can tell when a developer has thier head screwed on straight when they go down obsessive rabbitholes that really add nothing to the experience. Like Bosses very well done rock climbing animations in MGSV, or the way everyone has to have a UI that is displayed on thier HUD that everyone else in world can also see in Star Citizen

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Kojima does a lot of super autistic poo poo but his games release on schedule.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lol they can’t even release a holiday special on time.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Shameful display!!!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Derek trolling them

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/943933498313859076

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

spacetoaster posted:

Shameful display!!!

i am surprised they dont just release the dumb single player thing and make a run for it.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Squadron 42: The Game Nobody Asked For

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

kloa posted:

Squadron 42: The Game Nobody Asked For

id play that if it were on consoles. but there are so many better cheaper games out, that arnt giant scams.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

How long until CRoberto pivots Star Citizen into a Battle Royale style game ala PUBG??

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Shameful display!!!

I'm Mark Hamill's gaping mouth

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQTcf2bnRhY

wow, they sorta showed gameplay.

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
That wasn't gameplay. 2 minutes of talk in a hangar. YAWN.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am surprised they dont just release the dumb single player thing and make a run for it.

Isn't the single player game the one they are unable to launch

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Isn't the single player game the one they are unable to launch

idk. probably.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I noticed that today's event got rescheduled due to technical issues. How fitting. :allears:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Meme Emulator posted:

Making an unoptimized pile that cant be played by modern computers for 5 years is cool though

You just reminded me to try playing Jurassic Park: Tresspasser again. I'm sure my PC can finally handle it now

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
im glad mark hamill, a cool dude, was able to finagle some money out of croberts and dumb backers at least for his likely <1 week of voice acting. someone came out of this a winner.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Blessings of the Stimpire jesus upon you all this holiday season.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

that was 80% 'cut scene' of the player preparing to talk to an AI character in a scripted event

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Just want I want out of my imaginary games: Hellraiser Space Marines who worship rape and drugs

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That dialogue tree is really generic.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I ended up buying 4 MB for my then a bit aged 486 so that I can play WC3. it was fun and genuinely a pretty good game but tens of minutes loading time is not an exaggeration. It was decent though for the time. It also had Biff from BTTF, and the Kilrathi suits they came up with were pretty cool looking and impressive for a SciFi aficionado who was used to Star Treks "random poo poo glued to forehead" approach to aliens. People have to know, all these "interactive movie" games back then usually had a budget of a case of beer, some shoestring and an half-empty box of cookies, the actors were usually some randoms from some local community theater. They were truly, truly horrible. WC3 had a bigger budget and it showed and was quite impressive. As impressive as a movie on your PC back then was for many.

To be fair, also games wildly surpassing requirements what most computers people had at home at the time was very usual back then, seeing that it took a few months for the average new computer to be hopelessly outdated. WC3 runs actually pretty well on a high end system of the time, it's just that nobody had one because one would cost thousands of dollars, and then be outdated six months later. Graphics cards were primitive, didn't accelerate anything and the 3D stuff was done exclusively by the CPU. So you couldn't really upgrade like today by buying a newer graphics card for the older system, you pretty much needed everything new completely. 3D Accelerators would come a bit later.

None of that excuses the mess that is Star Citizen. Besides Chris Roberts just fleecing idiots now, it's also pretty clear to me that he never went with the times and probably has very little idea about the gritty stuff and technologies today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Why is his mouth drooping open all the time? Does he have space allergies?